Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:29 pm

Langhorne Creek got 12 off the last over. Won it off the last ball
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 243 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby saintal » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:46 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Langhorne Creek got 12 off the last over. Won it off the last ball

8 needed off the final 2 balls, and approximately 50 off final 6 overs with limited wickets remaining apparently :shock:

Meadows 128 v Aldgate 0/12.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby old fullback » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Where's Jackpot Jim?? must have been a cracker of a night down at the Creek, I reckon I could hear the Celebrations here at Strathalbyn, big day at Bleasedale maybe?
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby saintal » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:41 pm

So looks as though Aldgate needed 1 off the final ball of the day, 1 wicket in hand. And they got it- ending Meadows' run of flags in the process.

They were 3/100 earlier and look 79 overs to reel in 129.

Two remarkable finishes over the weekend, making TVCA's 14 run GF margin seem comfortable. ;)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:24 am

old fullback wrote:Where's Jackpot Jim?? must have been a cracker of a night down at the Creek, I reckon I could hear the Celebrations here at Strathalbyn, big day at Bleasedale maybe?

Subdued celebrations for me.
The lads pretty happy obviously
Think we are still trying to comprehend what has happened over the past 6 weeks?

It has been the most unbelievable run of 8 consecutive wins against all odds to win a flag
From where the Creeks were at 6 weeks ago ive roughly calculated the odds of winning the flag from that point at about 500/1 !!!!! :shock:
To have had to overcome so many obstacles to get into the Grand Final and then once there everything just seemed to go against them until one of the most remarkable finishes in cricket history !
Chasing 201 for victory the Creeks stumbled to 7/131 with only 7 overs to go of the allotted 45 available.
needing 10 rpo for the last 7 after only going at 3.5rpo for the innings the game was as good as over on the slow Hahndorf Oval.
Enter Troy Blackwell with the bat who had already had a tiring day after playing a half a game of footy for South Adelaide Reserves and then bowled 9 overs. With very aggressive running between wickets he was able to pick up NUMEROUS 2s and steadily reduced the target down to 12 runs needed from the last over where Ryan Trafford-Walker was called upon to bowl his 1st over of the day. A 2 off the 1st ball made it 10 from 5 but when the next 2 balls were air swings making it 10 from 3 surely Hahndorf were home? Another 2 then made it 8 off 2 . It was now or never and the penultimate ball was in the slot and was dispatched high over Mid Wicket for 6 !!! 2 required off the last ball for the win and strangely Hahndorf moved all their fielders in close to save the single when it was surprising they didnt put a few back to 2/3rds out as restricting the 2 was the priority as a single and a Tie would still give Hahndorf the Flag. Blackwell then cooly chipped the ball over cover for 2 to see the Creeks pull off the miracle win.
Simply astonishing that left the Hahndorf faithful stunned as they could only contemplate losing the almost unlosable with 7 overs to go.
Credit to the Hahndorf guys especially The Tait brothers and President Hass who were very gracious in defeat as they were still trying to digest what had just happened :shock:
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:40 am

saintal wrote:So looks as though Aldgate needed 1 off the final ball of the day, 1 wicket in hand. And they got it- ending Meadows' run of flags in the process.

Two remarkable finishes over the weekend, making TVCA's 14 run GF margin seem comfortable. ;)

Saw the last few hours and by gee it came within a whisker of rivaling the unbelievable finish of the Creek v Hahndorf GF only 24 hours earlier.
What a contrast the 2 games were. The A&EHCA GF a run fest compared to the Hills GF which was just a slow grind all day as Aldgate so very slowly crawled towards their target. Great credit to Meadows who looked out of it but just kept grinding and slowly but surely you could see the tide turning and the champs getting up off the canvas and got themselves into the box seat to win only for Aldgate to snatch it back right at the death in an amazing finish. Needing 3 to win off the last over it started with a dot ball then followed by a 2 as the batsmen contemplated going for the match winning 3rd but decided better of it leaving just 1 to win off 4 balls with 2 wickets in hand.
With every fielder circling the batsmen the next 2 balls were dots as the tension built.
The 2nd last ball was then hit back to the bowler with the batsmen running but the bowler turning around to effect a run out to bring it down to 1 off the last ball.
I was thinking? What odds a Mankad? And sure enough the bowler stopped short of delivering the ball with the non striker haring down the pitch as the crowd held their breath if the Mankad would be effected ????
It wasn't
Now thats one that will create plenty of discussion. We all know its a bit of a dog act BUT so is the non striker cheating trying to steal a run.
Last ball was belted down the ground for a 3 and Meadows remarkable 9 year reign had been conquered
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:41 am

jackpot jim wrote:
saintal wrote:So looks as though Aldgate needed 1 off the final ball of the day, 1 wicket in hand. And they got it- ending Meadows' run of flags in the process.

Saw the last few hours and by gee it came within a whisker of rivaling the unbelievable finish of the Creek v Hahndorf GF only 24 hours earlier.
What a contrast the 2 games were. The A&EHCA GF a run fest compared to the Hills GF which was just a slow grind all day as Aldgate so very slowly crawled towards their target. Great credit to Meadows who looked out of it but just kept grinding and slowly but surely you could see the tide turning and the champs getting up off the canvas and got themselves into the box seat to win only for Aldgate to snatch it back right at the death in an amazing finish. Needing 3 to win off the last over it started with a dot ball then followed by a 2 as the batsmen contemplated going for the match winning 3rd but decided better of it leaving just 1 to win off 4 balls with 2 wickets in hand.
With every fielder circling the batsmen the next 2 balls were dots as the tension built.
The 2nd last ball was then hit back to the bowler with the batsmen running but the bowler turning around to effect a run out to bring it down to 1 off the last ball.
I was thinking? What odds a Mankad? And sure enough the bowler stopped short of delivering the ball with the non striker haring down the pitch as the crowd held their breath if the Mankad would be effected ????
It wasn't
Now thats one that will create plenty of discussion. We all know its a bit of a dog act BUT so is the non striker cheating trying to steal a run.
Last ball was belted down the ground for a 3 and Meadows remarkable 9 year reign had been conquered

Sounds like a stressful final hahaha

Imo a mankad is no more 'dog' act than being half way down the pitch before the ball has been bowled.

imo once the bowler starts his run up the ball is 'in play' and stay in your bloody crease.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 am

whufc wrote:Imo a mankad is no more 'dog' act than being half way down the pitch before the ball has been bowled.

imo once the bowler starts his run up the ball is 'in play' and stay in your bloody crease.

If a player is streaming halfway down the wicket looking to steal a single then yes mankad should come into play.

If a player just gets lazy and starts backing up thinking the ball is going to be bowled, then mankad is weak.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:16 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Imo a mankad is no more 'dog' act than being half way down the pitch before the ball has been bowled.

If a player is streaming halfway down the wicket looking to steal a single then yes mankad should come into play.

If a player just gets lazy and starts backing up thinking the ball is going to be bowled, then mankad is weak.

Agree.

I do think there is definitely a difference and whilst I wouldn't mankad the lazy blokes taking a few yards. I would ask him to stay back in the crease unless the umpire is going to let me bowl a few lazy inches over the crease.

Run half way down the wicket to steal a single and I have no problem mankadding, especially when their that far in front of you as you bowl the ball almost hits them in the back of the head.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Trader » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:23 pm

jackpot jim wrote:2 required off the last ball for the win and strangely Hahndorf moved all their fielders in close to save the single when it was surprising they didnt put a few back to 2/3rds out as restricting the 2 was the priority as a single and a Tie would still give Hahndorf the Flag.

Shows that even the best can succumb to the pressure in the big moments!
A fairly costly error you'd think!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:39 am

Trader wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:2 required off the last ball for the win and strangely Hahndorf moved all their fielders in close to save the single when it was surprising they didnt put a few back to 2/3rds out as restricting the 2 was the priority as a single and a Tie would still give Hahndorf the Flag.

Firstly congratulations to L Creek on the win.

A hectic last over by the sounds of it. Also interesting choice of who to bowl that last over. Now RTW is a decent bowler, but had not had a trundle in the game up until that point. Meanwhile one of the opening bowlers who looks to have sent down 4 reasonably good overs at the beginning of the innings is overlooked! Come the final ball 2 to win and 1 to tie and all fielders on the single is a little odd. But I heard last night there was a dropped catch too in either the last over or very late in the game. Costly too as it was Blackwell, there’s the game right there.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Trader wrote:

Firstly congratulations to L Creek on the win.

A hectic last over by the sounds of it. Also interesting choice of who to bowl that last over. Now RTW is a decent bowler, but had not had a trundle in the game up until that point. Meanwhile one of the opening bowlers who looks to have sent down 4 reasonably good overs at the beginning of the innings is overlooked! Come the final ball 2 to win and 1 to tie and all fielders on the single is a little odd. But I heard last night there was a dropped catch too in either the last over or very late in the game. Costly too as it was Blackwell, there’s the game right there.

The opening bowler you're referring to was Blesing
I was told he went off the ground towards the end due to an ankle injury ???
Blackwell was dropped 1st ball of the last over in the deep and 2 runs resulted.
It wasn't a sitter but a catch that would be taken more times than not but thats Finals pressure.
Both teams made mistakes over the course of the match that cost runs here and there so its unfair to blame the players involved in the last few made.
A great game with an incredible finish with the Creeks lucky enough to have their noses in front when stumps were drawn.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:50 pm

I have heard he was ok... perhaps he can give his own take?

I’m only stating what I’ve heard, in terms of the dropped catch, and yes it’s second hand info.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:46 pm

Corona Man wrote:I have heard he was ok... perhaps he can give his own take?

I’m only stating what I’ve heard, in terms of the dropped catch, and yes it’s second hand info.

I left after about the 15 over mark of the Creek innings to go see how our B Grade were going at Nairne
Big mistake that turned out to be as we crumbled badly with the run chase
The advantage was that i made it back to the A Grade with only 9 balls to go so i've been relying on a fair bit of "hear say" as to what happened in between. One thing that i can say by looking at the scorebook is that it's rather incredible that the Creeks ONLY hit 4 Fours in their innings of 201. That could be a record low in itself?
Interesting comparing both teams
Hahndorf 6/200 11 x 4s 9 x 6s
Creeks 8/201 4 x 4s 7 x 6s

Thats 40 less runs scored in boundaries . Just shows that the art of running lots of singles and 2s is just as important as hitting boundaries in this day and age of Power hitting brought about by T20
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby caleb777 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:36 pm

Tweaked my knee bowling and made it worse fielding. Ended up with a strained lateral ligament and damaged meniscus. On a knee that has already been reconstructed twice it wasnt fun. Im interested to hear who told you it was okay though....
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:03 pm

caleb777 wrote:

Tweaked my knee bowling and made it worse fielding. Ended up with a strained lateral ligament and damaged meniscus. On a knee that has already been reconstructed twice it wasnt fun. Im interested to hear who told you it was okay though....

Fair enough. I’ve done knees so I know what it is like. Still looks like you were going ok before it went on you.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby caleb777 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:11 pm

Corona Man wrote:
caleb777 wrote:

Fair enough. I’ve done knees so I know what it is like. Still looks like you were going ok before it went on you.

Yeh i bowled fine. I hurt it fielding in about the 30th over..
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby limb » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:57 pm

The history of the Alexandra and Eastern Hills Cricket Association (and the separate associations that merged to create the A&EHCA) has been compiled in a A&EHCA Wikipedia page. The page lists the details of all premiership winners, office holders, major award winners and life members as well as a detailed chronology. An interesting read for any local cricket lover!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra ... ory%5B1%5D
limb
Under 18s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Trader » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:12 pm

limb wrote:The history of the Alexandra and Eastern Hills Cricket Association (and the separate associations that merged to create the A&EHCA) has been compiled in a A&EHCA Wikipedia page. The page lists the details of all premiership winners, office holders, major award winners and life members as well as a detailed chronology. An interesting read for any local cricket lover!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra ... ory%5B1%5D

You've listed Echunga with 1 premiership in 1948/1949, however in the table they are also listed as premiers in 77/78.

I have no idea which is correct, but obviously 1 is wrong.

It might also be worth mentioning that your list is A-grade premierships, a lot of clubs winning A2 etc and claiming them these days.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon May 06, 2019 1:10 am

Shaun Tait to coach Adelaide CC
Big loss for Hahndorf assuming this takes away his ability to play for coach them?
Anyone with any juicy rumors of departures / arrivals even at this early stage?
jackpot jim
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps