Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby HH3 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:47 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I remember with great fondness, the days of the OLD House of Chow, it was our local chinese joint.

Once a week or so, mum would send me around the corner to order a large special fried rice with $2.50.

Was very sad when they tore it down and swore I'd never eat at the new location, in protest.

Wise decision. Shithouse of Chow.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby carey » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:32 am

House of the red dragon- Munno Para

Took the Mrs and kids out for tea to the above venue last night and was very satisfied with the outcome.

Venue- Suburb, as you walk and get seated, there is a lovely oriental feel about the place with some traditional Chinese back ground music playing. We got seated right next to the large fish tank this was a highlight for the kids.

Service- Absolutely first class, Lovely ladies with prompt service without being over the top. Fantastic with the kids.

Food- After much discussion we went against my wishes (No surprise here) and went with the Banquet, Number 4 to be exact. $32.50 each which consisted of Prawn Chips, Chicken and sweet corn soup, Prawn Cocktail, Boneless Pork ribs in plum sauce, Fillet Steak in Black bean (we changed it to Satay sauce), Special fried rice, King Garlic prawns on crispy noodles, Mongolian chicken, another Special fried rice, Ice cream surprise, Hot Chocolates (which the kids loved) and after dinner mints. On top of this we got the kids a large spring roll and a beef satay each and 2 ice creams for the kids.

Highlights of the food you ask? Hmm well where do I start? The large spring rolls were ridiculously huge I mean huge! but also very tasty, The soup was amazing and pick of the main dishes was by far the Boneless ribs in plum sauce for me. The Mrs loved the Garlic prawns, for mine the Prawns were nice and certainty very fresh but the sauce a little bit of a let down for mine. Satay Steak was very nice and the Mongolian Chicken was different but a beautiful sauce.

Cost-
with all of the above 3x West ends, 2xHouse whites and a jug of coke $118.50, had the 25% off voucher in the entertainment book and the lady just made it an even $80. I wasn't expecting that

In summery a beautiful feed with 2 full take away containers for lunch today which they were happy to supply. The Mrs favourite Chinese was the empress crown in Salisbury it is now The House of the Red Dragon at Munno Para.

Service- 10/10
Food- 9/10
Value for Money- 9/10

Highly reccomend
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 am

Review review : Love the addition of the bold headers. A hint of ambiance with the traditional Chinese music noted. Willingness to pair red tins with Chinese.

Review of review - 9/10
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:42 am

House of the Red Dragon is the best chinese in Adelaide
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:49 am

I don't mind dropping in to get just a spring roll, they are only $4 and HUGE!!

The Boneless Pork in plum sauce ranks highly with me, the banquet mix seemed perfect, it would be the perfect mix of what we'd go for.

Their Special Fried Rice is awesome too with decent sized prawns and large chunks of pork, chicken and beef (I assume).

We live in Mawson Lakes and drive there for takeaway, might have to take the missus out for dinner next week I think, just gotta find our book.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 am

Now I'm thinking we might take the SIL and her fam there soon. They live at Munno West.

When we lived up that way, it was a once a week thing.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I don't mind dropping in to get just a spring roll, they are only $4 and HUGE!!

The Boneless Pork in plum sauce ranks highly with me, the banquet mix seemed perfect, it would be the perfect mix of what we'd go for.

Their Special Fried Rice is awesome too with decent sized prawns and large chunks of pork, chicken and beef (I assume).

We live in Mawson Lakes and drive there for takeaway, might have to take the missus out for dinner next week I think, just gotta find our book.

You just order for everyone?

8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I don't mind dropping in to get just a spring roll, they are only $4 and HUGE!!

You just order for everyone?

8)

I know their palette's and know what's value for money. As I said to carey last night, get the spring rolls for the kids as they'll love them and they are filling so there will be more exquisite food for him and the better half.

So the answer is yes :lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby carey » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:13 am

Booney wrote:Review review : Love the addition of the bold headers. A hint of ambiance with the traditional Chinese music noted. Willingness to pair red tins with Chinese.

Review of review - 9/10

:lol:
carey
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:56 am

Alberton Hotel

Venue: Local, walk in the place and immediately bump into a few old mates, then a few more at the end. For JK Jnr's Birthday dinner our group of of 13 had the private room located in the Bistro (forget the name, Booney will know Im sure)

Service: Outstanding. The lasses behind the Bar, those that delivered food and those that cleared away after consumption were really friendly and efficient. Stored a Birthday Cake in the fridge for the lad, brought it, set the candles and whoomp, everything set to go.

Food: All the standard Pub favourites on offer plus a decent selection of Asian and Indian cuisine. There was a lot of Schnitty's among the group (including yours truly) which were well received (they weren't great, but certainly good enough). A few went for curries and sizzling steak dishes and all reported on them favourably. A top notch Salad and Veg Bar was included in the price.

Cost: NFI, the missus was the minister for finance last night . Did notice the Schnitties were around $22 a pop which I thought slightly on the high side, but I didn't hear any complaints among the group, and the Salad and Veg Bar was excellent.

Service: 10/10
Food: 6.5/10
Value: 7/10

Total Rate (Rounded): 7.83

Will happily go back based on the service alone, but the food was good enough and it's just a pub I've always enjoyed over the years.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Pag » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:12 am

carey wrote:House of the red dragon- Munno Para

Took the Mrs and kids out for tea to the above venue last night and was very satisfied with the outcome.

Venue- Suburb, as you walk and get seated, there is a lovely oriental feel about the place with some traditional Chinese back ground music playing. We got seated right next to the large fish tank this was a highlight for the kids.

Service- Absolutely first class, Lovely ladies with prompt service without being over the top. Fantastic with the kids.

Food- After much discussion we went against my wishes (No surprise here) and went with the Banquet, Number 4 to be exact. $32.50 each which consisted of Prawn Chips, Chicken and sweet corn soup, Prawn Cocktail, Boneless Pork ribs in plum sauce, Fillet Steak in Black bean (we changed it to Satay sauce), Special fried rice, King Garlic prawns on crispy noodles, Mongolian chicken, another Special fried rice, Ice cream surprise, Hot Chocolates (which the kids loved) and after dinner mints. On top of this we got the kids a large spring roll and a beef satay each and 2 ice creams for the kids.

Highlights of the food you ask? Hmm well where do I start? The large spring rolls were ridiculously huge I mean huge! but also very tasty, The soup was amazing and pick of the main dishes was by far the Boneless ribs in plum sauce for me. The Mrs loved the Garlic prawns, for mine the Prawns were nice and certainty very fresh but the sauce a little bit of a let down for mine. Satay Steak was very nice and the Mongolian Chicken was different but a beautiful sauce.

Cost-
with all of the above 3x West ends, 2xHouse whites and a jug of coke $118.50, had the 25% off voucher in the entertainment book and the lady just made it an even $80. I wasn't expecting that

In summery a beautiful feed with 2 full take away containers for lunch today which they were happy to supply. The Mrs favourite Chinese was the empress crown in Salisbury it is now The House of the Red Dragon at Munno Para.

Service- 10/10
Food- 9/10
Value for Money- 9/10

Highly reccomend

Better than Emperor's Crown? Wowee.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:13 am

JK wrote:Alberton Hotel

Venue: Local, walk in the place and immediately bump into a few old mates, then a few more at the end. For JK Jnr's Birthday dinner our group of of 13 had the private room located in the Bistro (forget the name, Booney will know Im sure)

Service: Outstanding. The lasses behind the Bar, those that delivered food and those that cleared away after consumption were really friendly and efficient. Stored a Birthday Cake in the fridge for the lad, brought it, set the candles and whoomp, everything set to go.

Food: All the standard Pub favourites on offer plus a decent selection of Asian and Indian cuisine. There was a lot of Schnitty's among the group (including yours truly) which were well received (they weren't great, but certainly good enough). A few went for curries and sizzling steak dishes and all reported on them favourably. A top notch Salad and Veg Bar was included in the price.

Cost: NFI, the missus was the minister for finance last night . Did notice the Schnitties were around $22 a pop which I thought slightly on the high side, but I didn't hear any complaints among the group, and the Salad and Veg Bar was excellent.

Will happily go back based on the service alone, but the food was good enough and it's just a pub I've always enjoyed over the years.

I had notice their prices vs quantity/quality were a little on the disappointing side, service and organisation was excellent though.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:15 am

Has anyone tried the Mexican restaurant in Salisbury that is getting worldwide reviews?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Pag » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:25 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Has anyone tried the Mexican restaurant in Salisbury that is getting worldwide reviews?

Not yet but I need to. It's round the corner from the footy club, behind the little oval out the back.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:33 am

Pag wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Has anyone tried the Mexican restaurant in Salisbury that is getting worldwide reviews?

Need to. It's round the corner from the footy club, behind the little oval out the back.

Cheers, I was trying to decipher where it was by the footage I'd seen, I thought it may have been in Brahma Lodge on Gregory Street, that's if them shops are still there.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby carey » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Pag wrote:

Cost-

Service- 10/10
Food- 9/10
Value for Money- 9/10

Highly reccomend

Big call I know.
carey
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:23 pm

carey wrote:
Pag wrote:

Cost-

Service- 10/10
Food- 9/10
Value for Money- 9/10

Highly reccomend

Big call I know.

Looks like I'll have to wait until December to give it a go. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby carey » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:43 pm

See Boon bold headers are taking off.

#startedatrend ;)
carey
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:37 pm

carey wrote:

See Boon bold headers are taking off.

#startedatrend ;)

You set the bar mate (or maybe were leaning on it, same same)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 am

The Norwood Hotel :

With Miss Boon finishing at 9pm on The Parade we thought we would take the opportunity to dine somewhere prior to collecting her from work. Drove up and down a couple of times, settled on the Norwood Hotel at about 7:50pm.

Park, go in, up to the bar for a drink and the lovely lass behind the bar advises that meals must be ordered by 8pm so we don't have long. All good, thank you. Grab a menu, grab a table and as we turn around we see "250g T-Bone $10 every night after 5pm". Sweet.

"Two t-bones with pepper please, one medium, one medium well". We ordered right on 8pm, I think two groups got in behind us.

There was a rapper on in the function room out the back so the place was packed, almost every table was full but we found a quaint little table for two.

Mrs had a rose, Chapel Hill, that tasted a "bit vinegary" so I took it back to the bar, the lass agreed it smelt a little off so asked what she would like as a replacement. "Any Alicante?" ( Rockfords ), "Yep, there you go". I offered to pay the gap, she said "No, don't be silly, what are you having?"

"It's ok, I've got a pale on the go thanks" -- "Would you like another one?" -- "Not right now" -- "It's on me, sorry about the rose" SWEET. An alicante for Mrs Boon and another pale for me.

Meals came out around 8:20, solid sized T-bone with barely any bone in it, basically they'd left the top of the "T" but the "leg" of the T was gone making it much easier to carve into. Chips and garden salad.

The T-Bone was excellent, just a little piece of charcoal singed fat on the outer edge, perfectly cooked, pepper sauce was proper pepper sauce not just gravy with pepper corns in it, salad is just salad.

Service - Exceptional, gave us fair warning about the kitchen closing, replaced the rose free and gave me a pale pint as compensation for our inconvenience. 10/10

Food - You'd think a $10 T-Bone could be a risk not worth taking, it was certainly worth taking. 8/10

Cost - Two T-Bones, a rose and a pale came to $34.50, a free upgrade on the rose and a free pint of pale. 8/10

My experience at the Norwood Hotel last night can only be given a 9/10 when it comes to a $10 T-Bone and a pale ( or two ). Not fine dining, but a fine pub meal indeed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion