Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:17 am

Footy Chick wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Whilst I admire his never give up attitude, surely the doctors would've told Johnson maybe after the second that his knees are no good and he'll only do it again and again.

after 3 or more, he's only a glutton for punishment, sorry to say it.

Only this time it was his 'good' knee.

Irrelevant, if the makeup of the fibres in your ligaments are weak, they're weak in both knees - and your shoulders and your ankles and.....you get my drift . Both knees were always bad, it just took a lot longer for the other to prove itself. Sadly I've seen it before.

Or the unique anatomy of his knee predisposes his knees to the shearing forces when they are flexed and rotate (weaker ligaments may allow his knees to rotate more than normal). Slightly raised/pronounced popliteal grove acts like a par of scissors on his ACL against the medial condyle of his femur.

Pure conjecture on my part but the knee isn't a joint that isn't designed to rotate much at all.

As FC said, some people are dealt some rough cards physically and anatomically which makes it harder for them to pursue a chosen sport at the elite level.

Bottom line you have to feel for the bloke.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby saintal » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:53 am

Fairly minor compared to some of the issues raised in this thread...but visiting my parent's/childhood home for the final time yesterday. After building the house some 35 years ago my parents are downsizing, saying goodbye to the 90+ acres and responsibility that comes with it. Whilst it's for the best cant help but feel a bit flat thinking about it.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby MW » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:56 am

saintal wrote:Fairly minor compared to some of the issues raised in this thread...but visiting my parent's/childhood home for the final time yesterday. After building the house some 35 years ago my parents are downsizing, saying goodbye to the 90+ acres and responsibility that comes with it. Whilst it's for the best cant help but feel a bit flat thinking about it.

Did the same to my parents house they owned for 47 years a few weeks ago...surprisingly sad especially as it will be bulldozed for townhouses
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:57 am

saintal wrote:Fairly minor compared to some of the issues raised in this thread...but visiting my parent's/childhood home for the final time yesterday. After building the house some 35 years ago my parents are downsizing, saying goodbye to the 90+ acres and responsibility that comes with it. Whilst it's for the best cant help but feel a bit flat thinking about it.

That's why they're called a house when you look at them and a home when you live in them. Is an odd feeling when "home" isn't home anymore.

90+ acres, whereabouts mate and did they still work the land?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Mrs HH3s family are going through that now. Her mum passed away in May, so they're in the process of selling the country house she built in the 70's.

Big house, big property.

It's the house they grew up in, but none of the four kids could ever see themselves living in it without their mum.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby saintal » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Booney wrote:

That's why they're called a house when you look at them and a home when you live in them. Is an odd feeling when "home" isn't home anymore.

Yeah you're right about home/house.

Property is in Lenswood, out towards Cudlee Creek. Both are retired now, so kept busy with some vines, cattle, sheep etc. The vines were certainly not enough of an revenue raiser to survive on, more of a hobby, while the livestock was really just to keep the grass in check.

They'll rent for a while before deciding on what to do next.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Booney wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Whilst I admire his never give up attitude, surely the doctors would've told Johnson maybe after the second that his knees are no good and he'll only do it again and again.

Well, this was his "good" knee, he's had 5 recon's on his left knee, 12 operations in total, this is the first time he's done the right knee, but, I agree.

I said to a mate last week the comeback game in Sydney felt like the Jason McCartney come back game, a bit of "There, I did it, now I'm done" sort of thing. Poor bastard though

I'm not one to get all sad and stuff at retirements or games in general, but I must say at the end of the Jason McCartney game when he dropped the retirement bombshell I was fighting them back, very touching moment in AFL history.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

Only this time it was his 'good' knee.

I feel for the bloke, for sure. Full credit to the Swans for their support over the last 6 years too; most other clubs would have cut him loose after the 2nd or 3rd time.

Yep, I have great respect for the Sydney FC for sticking by him and not making him just another number.

I'm sure they'll sort his rehabilitation and find a role for him around the club, he must be a great bloke.

You would think he would be ideal in a development or rehabilitation role at the club
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby carey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Well, this was his "good" knee, he's had 5 recon's on his left knee, 12 operations in total, this is the first time he's done the right knee, but, I agree.

I said to a mate last week the comeback game in Sydney felt like the Jason McCartney come back game, a bit of "There, I did it, now I'm done" sort of thing. Poor bastard though

I'm not one to get all sad and stuff at retirements or games in general, but I must say at the end of the Jason McCartney game when he dropped the retirement bombshell I was fighting them back, very touching moment in AFL history.

I was at that game. Very good moment
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:45 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Alex Johnson :(

Yeah its sad but theres plenty of sadder things going on at the moment in Australia with the drought around the country.

so people can't be sad if something worse is going on??? Pretty sure AJ gives zero **** about the farmers at the moment...

Pretty sure Alex will wake up and still have food on the table for his family, and probably will for the rest of his life. He wont need to shoot thousands of stock.

I did say its sad, just not the saddest thing going on at the moment but you read what you want to
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:42 am

Plenty of sadder things than a drought too. You can always say that.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Q. » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 am

saintal wrote:
Booney wrote:

Property is in Lenswood, out towards Cudlee Creek. Both are retired now, so kept busy with some vines, cattle, sheep etc. The vines were certainly not enough of an revenue raiser to survive on, more of a hobby, while the livestock was really just to keep the grass in check.

How much and where do I sign?!
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:48 am

bennymacca wrote:Plenty of sadder things than a drought too. You can always say that.

Really?
A drought has massive impacts on farmers and their families.
It takes them years to recover from it.
Also the amount of suicides directly linked to the drought rises every time there is one.

Some families are left without a father and no income and a massive debt.

As Aussies we do need to do more for them.
The government has given them a token amount to help but they need more.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:42 am

bennymacca wrote:Plenty of sadder things than a drought too. You can always say that.

F*** Me

Say that out loud in the Freeling or Railway Pubs and see how far you get???
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 am

am Bays wrote:

F*** Me

Say that out loud in the Freeling or Railway Pubs and see how far you get???

You really want me to list things that are sadder than a drought? What about childhood cancer or war etc?

Also You been to Freeling lately? Sure ain’t a drought round those parts :)

Was there Friday night and had a Parma for a farmer still.

My point was it’s ridiculous to compare a bloke doing his ACL to a drought.

All are sad in their own way and it’s pointless to compare
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:49 am

amber_fluid wrote:

Really?
A drought has massive impacts on farmers and their families.
It takes them years to recover from it.
Also the amount of suicides directly linked to the drought rises every time there is one.

Some families are left without a father and no income and a massive debt.

As Aussies we do need to do more for them.
The government has given them a token amount to help but they need more.

Of course. That wasn’t my point at all.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am

Only on SA Footy will you find a sadness scale.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 am

Booney wrote:Only on SA Footy will you find a sadness scale.

Pretty sad hey?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Only on SA Footy will you find a sadness scale.

Pretty sad hey?

I bet I’m feeling sadder than you.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5454 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:14 am

Q. wrote:
saintal wrote:
Booney wrote:

How much and where do I sign?!

I was going to say this sounds like Q's cup o' tea :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion