State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby Bandit » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:01 pm

another grub wrote:Umpiring is shitting me at the moment. How was Jach holding the ball ffs.

But the blocking rule has now just become a farce. The player can deliberately run into the spare player and fall over and its a free for blocking. Wtf.
Surely the player is allowed to stand thier ground?

**** you white maggots

Pathetic

The blocking over reaction is all Clarko's fault... that damn coffee with Gil
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby LMA » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:18 am

Much like music go back to a time where the AFL was atop of it's game, early to mid 90's. Problem solved
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:36 am

PORT Adelaide president David Koch is sick of the AFL experimenting its secret trials with a small sample of clubs rather than opening it up for the entire competition.

Both Hawthorn and the Brisbane Lions have taken part in ‘scratch matches’ over the last fortnight, with AFL officials watching on monitoring the multiple trial rules implemented.

The AFL’s secret trials are being undertaken to help deal with congestion issues in the competition, and Koch says that every club should be given the opportunity, rather than it giving some clubs a four month advantage.

“I do think there’s an issue, Kenny (Hinkley) thinks there’s an issue,” Koch told 3AW Football.

“Why did selected clubs get to try it out?

“The rule changes may come out in October but “Alastair Clarkson, after all his coffees with the AFL big wigs, and Jeff Kennett are able to think about it for an extra four months.”

Former Collingwood great Tony Shaw believes “you either do it with the whole 18 (clubs) or you don’t do it at all.”

The Lions were the latest club to take part in the AFL trials, with midfielder Dayne Zorko telling AFL Tonight on Tuesday that the new rules were “interesting.”

However, the often outspoken Koch was full of praise for the AFL’s decision to trial new rules, ahead of the AFL Competition Committee providing recommendations to the AFL Commission for their final decision in October — but was adamant that nothing should be hidden from the clubs that haven’t taken part in the trials.

“Just make it open,” Koch said.

“There’s nothing wrong with saying, hey we’re just trying this out and trying that out, but that’s really innovative thinking and the AFL should be applauded for that.

“Don’t hide it and don’t keep it to a select. There’s no V in AFL anymore, so you don’t need to just have Victorian clubs get the extra hand.”

Koch says it isn’t fair for two of the 18 AFL clubs to have an advantage over the others during the AFL’s trials, believing every club should have access to the trials.

“I think the tapes of those games should be given to every club,” Koch said.

“Because other coaches may have suggestions, other players may have suggestions. What’s to hide from it?”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Interesting that in the u15 SANFL State Carnival this week they are playing under anti-density rules.

I bet this comes into the SANFL League next year if it doesn't in the AFL.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Trader » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:anti-density rules.

Obviously rules to reduce / restrict congestion, but what are these rules?
It isn't zones is it?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby cracka » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:57 pm

Trader wrote:
Dutchy wrote:anti-density rules.

Obviously rules to reduce / restrict congestion, but what are these rules?
It isn't zones is it?

Pretty sure the U18s comp in Victoria have had a rule in for a couple of years that at any stoppage both sides have to start with at least 2 players each in each 50m area & at least 5 players each starting behind half way.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby westozfalcon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:54 pm

I’d like to see a rule wherein a team must have at least 1 player within its attacking 50-metre arc at ALL times. There would be a linesman at each end to monitor it. If a team breaches the rule, a flag goes up and the other side gets a penalty shot on goal from the top of the goal square.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:38 pm

westozfalcon wrote:I’d like to see a rule wherein a team must have at least 1 player within its attacking 50-metre arc at ALL times. There would be a linesman at each end to monitor it. If a team breaches the rule, a flag goes up and the other side gets a penalty shot on goal from the top of the goal square.

How the Fxxx would this fix anything?

We'd have more off side type reviews than soccer does.

Stop the rule changes because the coaches will work out ways to work it to their advantage. Time for drastic change.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:50 am

Selwood and others saying shorten the game?
He's punchy as f@#k! Struggle with coherent sentences at times tonight.
Shorten the game and shorten your pay packet pal.

The game evolves, always has. Lessen the rotations has merit.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 am

zero issue with the state of the game.... Sick of everytime their is a bad game the media kick up a stink... Every professional sport has bad games, they dont instantly look for changes...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby beef » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:11 am

Dutchy wrote:Interesting that in the u15 SANFL State Carnival this week they are playing under anti-density rules.

I bet this comes into the SANFL League next year if it doesn't in the AFL.

I saw 6 of these games this week and not one team tried to follow the rules and the umpires didn't enforce it. The rule actually works pretty well in the u/18 comp.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 254 times

Postby helicopterking » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am

woodublieve12 wrote:zero issue with the state of the game.... Sick of everytime their is a bad game the media kick up a stink... Every professional sport has bad games, they dont instantly look for changes...

Of course you don’t mind congestion. Sydney and Paul Roos were the ones who set the standard for it and Now Longmire. Any rules resulting in less congestion or even the last touch out of bounds rule would destroy Sydney and there style of play.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 am

woodublieve12 wrote:zero issue with the state of the game.... Sick of everytime their is a bad game the media kick up a stink... Every professional sport has bad games, they dont instantly look for changes...

Far more bad games than good games these days. I struggle to watch more than 1 quarter of most now and there are certain teams that I generally avoid watching if possible
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:55 am

helicopterking wrote:

Of course you don’t mind congestion. Sydney and Paul Roos were the ones who set the standard for it and Now Longmire. Any rules resulting in less congestion or even the last touch out of bounds rule would destroy Sydney and there style of play.

it's not under 8's. worst rule in football.. Anyone who legitimately likes this rule, obviously hates football and prefers netball or soccer and is part of the problem not the solution
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:57 am

AFL has probably more rule changes than any other professional sport... Sh*ts me.. This isn't a swans thing... LEAVE THE GAME ALONE.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:57 am

I don't recall too many Finals matches I've turned off due to being a poor standard, and Finals are the reason this game is played. I am not sold on bringing in changes that are going to affect the way the post season is played.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:08 am

tigerpie wrote:Selwood and others saying shorten the game?
He's punchy as f@#k! Struggle with coherent sentences at times tonight.
Shorten the game and shorten your pay packet pal.

The game evolves, always has. Lessen the rotations has merit.

We need to go back pre-95 and extend the quarters to 25 minutes without timeon for out of bounds and ballups.
More examples of the current ridiculous method in the Port-Freo game - first quarter went 29:40 minutes for 3 goals, second quarter 28:20 for zero goals (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think was a stretcher in these quarters?) That's 18 minutes of time-on for three goals, and only 13 scoring shots in total.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:51 am

Jim05 wrote:

Far more bad games than good games these days. I struggle to watch more than 1 quarter of most now and there are certain teams that I generally avoid watching if possible

I have the tv on for most games on a weekend and the Sydney North was the only non crows game that really held my interest on the weekend.

I’m not a fan of the zones but I am of the opinion they need to do something, so if people smarter than me think zones are a good idea then let’s try it
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:52 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:I don't recall too many Finals matches I've turned off due to being a poor standard, and Finals are the reason this game is played. I am not sold on bringing in changes that are going to affect the way the post season is played.

It’s easy to tolerate a poor standard finals game though because there is something huge on the end of it which holds your interest

So crappy game becomes “good contested footy”

(Also helps that finals are between the best teams so the skill level is usually much higher)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:02 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

I have the tv on for most games on a weekend and the Sydney North was the only non crows game that really held my interest on the weekend.

I’m not a fan of the zones but I am of the opinion they need to do something, so if people smarter than me think zones are a good idea then let’s try it

zones/presses are excellent... Love watching them live
woodublieve12
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL