Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Lol, corporate monsters.
I do laugh when Port supporters call the Crows a franchise, plastic etc.
Port are as much a franchise, a business and part of the corporate world as any club in the AFL.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Lol, corporate monsters.
Port are as much a franchise, a business and part of the corporate world as any club in the AFL.

I never barracked for Port Adelaide but they did get shafted when the Crows were given the AFL licence.

I recall seeing banners at Footy Park as a teenager as Port were making a bid to join the AFL, the SANFL had the "player retention" scheme going which in the end was to keep the players not in the SANFL as "seemingly intended", it was to get first dibs on them when SA did get a licence.

I took on the Crows as my supported team, along with Geelong who I had supported previously but 20 odd years later and I think of how different things may have been had Port just got the licence first.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Lol, corporate monsters.

Disagree, not at board/management level as yes, they are multi million dollar entities but I strongly disagree at the front line level.

Go to the PAFC clubrooms and speak to old bar flys who will regale stories of yore, see, smell, feel the history. The same at Collingwood, or Carlton, or Geelong, or North Melbourne. There's a difference between a corporation and a club.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue May 15, 2018 1:45 pm

So...to be a genuine footy club you have to be able to drink at a 'front bar'?
Because the rest comes with time and the development of history.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:So...to be a genuine footy club you have to be able to drink at a 'front bar'?

I think you have to have a home where members can gather, celebrate, commiserate, etc as all in all the members are what makes a club IMO.

Yes, time does develop history but where does that get shared, relived, enjoyed?

You've been in and around sporting clubs to know what a club environment feels like and the emotions and memories they invoke, some of which are intangibles.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Might I add that I hope Adelaide create such a base one day, I do think their members are missing out, I think they deserve more as there is not only lots of them they've proven to be pretty loyal.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 15, 2018 2:15 pm

There's a clear and distinctive difference in demography, culture and history Dogwatcher. It's undeniable.

For what it's worth I think the Crows have a great history... But they were born in a courtroom desk draw, have never had juniors or represented a local community and they are an alloy/almagm with a dubious chemistry.

The result of all of that can be felt by your average supporter.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue May 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:So...to be a genuine footy club you have to be able to drink at a 'front bar'?

I think you have to have a home where members can gather, celebrate, commiserate, etc as all in all the members are what makes a club IMO.

Yes, time does develop history but where does that get shared, relived, enjoyed?

You've been in and around sporting clubs to know what a club environment feels like and the emotions and memories they invoke, some of which are intangibles.

But...as an interstate Collingwood supporter, I don't get to do any of that. I still feel pretty damn connected to the Pies though. For me, that stuff's shared at the footy. Which I'd suggest is where Crows supporters share those moments and most Port fans.
How many Port fans actually get down to Alberton these days? I'm sure it's a lot, but it's nowhere near the 35k who pack out a home ground every second week. And that's why we have the 'Never Tear Us Apart' phenom, that's the modern version of invoking all of those things you talk about - making a club - and all clubs do it to some degree or other.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue May 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote:

But...as an interstate Collingwood supporter, I don't get to do any of that. I still feel pretty damn connected to the Pies though. For me, that stuff's shared at the footy. Which I'd suggest is where Crows supporters share those moments and most Port fans.
How many Port fans actually get down to Alberton these days? I'm sure it's a lot, but it's nowhere near the 35k who pack out a home ground every second week. And that's why we have the 'Never Tear Us Apart' phenom, that's the modern version of invoking all of those things you talk about - making a club - and all clubs do it to some degree or other.

Spot on DW, a few hundred go back to the club for a drink, the other 35k go home like Crows supporters do.

Port is a club because it has a bar where a few fleas on the dogs dick congregate after, give us a spell...
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Dumb question, do they do best player awards back at the club after home games? Does any AFL club do so?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue May 15, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm wondering if this is a peculiarly Australian debate.
For example, do LA Lakers fans or Glasgow Rangers have the type of club facilities to invoke the feelings Booney describes?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 15, 2018 2:59 pm

If you think human beings don't have an innate understanding and sense of place, then you don't understand human beings.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Booney » Tue May 15, 2018 3:03 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:
Spot on DW, a few hundred go back to the club for a drink, the other 35k go home like Crows supporters do.

Port is a club because it has a bar where a few fleas on the dogs dick congregate after, give us a spell...

Do you have a local club mate, or do you go to Jimmy Dean's at Panther land?

If so, do you enjoy having the opportunity to, do you think it builds a sense of comradery among the people who go there?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Booney wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:

If so, do you enjoy having the opportunity to, do you think it builds a sense of comradery among the people who go there?

I think westcoastpanther would love the opportunity to drink at his club's local, it will only take half a week to get back home though.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:

But you can, if you want to when in Melbourne. We can, if we want to, whenever we like.

No doubt from an interstate point of view electronic media keeps you closer to the action, more engaged.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue May 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:

I think westcoastpanther would love the opportunity to drink at his club's local, it will only take half a week to get back home though.

Actually home next Friday night (leave here Thursday morning and that's flying) for a 20 year flag reunion at my old club. ;)
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue May 15, 2018 3:58 pm

morell wrote:If you think human beings don't have an innate understanding and sense of place, then you don't understand human beings.

I think you need to read my post again.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue May 15, 2018 4:48 pm

You could always take someone else’s history and claim it as your own I suppose like the Power did.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 15, 2018 4:49 pm

amber_fluid wrote:You could always take someone else’s history and claim it as your own I suppose like the Power did.

No Carlton posts this week mate?

Strange....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue May 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:You could always take someone else’s history and claim it as your own I suppose like the Power did.

No Carlton posts this week mate?

Strange....

Keeping a lid on it.

You should try it ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL