The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:57 pm

I have often wondered what would happen if the power cheer squad and fans in general just dumped the teal. Only black and white flags at the ground, magpies chant etc.. If the fans wanted to they could probably change it but have accepted it.
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Alex wrote:I have often wondered what would happen if the power cheer squad and fans in general just dumped the teal. Only black and white flags at the ground, magpies chant etc.. If the fans wanted to they could probably change it but have accepted it.

The merchandise $$ would dry up as all the fan gear has the teal.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby robranisgod » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Alex wrote:I have often wondered what would happen if the power cheer squad and fans in general just dumped the teal. Only black and white flags at the ground, magpies chant etc.. If the fans wanted to they could probably change it but have accepted it.

As a non Port supporter, I wished that too. I wish Port had stood on their digs and insisted on wearing the great prison bar guernsey. I have mentioned before that if the competition can have three blue and white teams including two navy blue and white teams, why can't they have two black and white sides. It is too late now but to me Port and Collingwood didn't even really clash. Not like Collingwood and North Melbourne used to anyway.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby LMA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Alex wrote:One thing for sure is that I wish there was a proper AFL and not the VFL with the 2 SA teams. Was so good when everyone supported a real mixture of local teams and had a favourite VFL team on the side if they wished. I know it is longing for the past but gee those days were so good compared to today...

Yeah they were good days. I was a Demons supporter from 87 until 97, you can see why I jumped :)
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:28 pm

LMA wrote:
Alex wrote:One thing for sure is that I wish there was a proper AFL and not the VFL with the 2 SA teams. Was so good when everyone supported a real mixture of local teams and had a favourite VFL team on the side if they wished. I know it is longing for the past but gee those days were so good compared to today...

Yeah they were good days. I was a Demons supporter from 87 until 97, you can see why I jumped :)

You weren’t a real Demons supporter then.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times

Postby LMA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:41 pm

Spargo wrote:
LMA wrote:

Of course, why wouldn't I follow Port after following them and playing for them and living in the area. You can judge me all you want, it was an easy decision. How would you go if it was Glenelg, redundant question really as you couldn't really answer that truthfully
LMA
Coach

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:43 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Exactly why the fans would win..if the AFL couldn't sell teal and letting the power have black and white meant $$ then they would ultimately yield. If I did see the port AFL side as the original and actively supported them would not support the teal one bit. Assuming it is the real port then wearing it is a slap in the face. Not only 3 blue & white sides but the crows were let in when Fitzroy already had those colours. If port power didn't want to deliberately separate themselves into a new entity then they sure got bent over hard by the AFL.
Alex

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:47 pm

LMA wrote:
Spargo wrote:
LMA wrote:

Of course, why wouldn't I follow Port after following them and playing for them and living in the area. You can judge me all you want, it was an easy decision. How would you go if it was Glenelg, redundant question really as you couldn't really answer that truthfully

Pretty much anyone who is a crows fan 40 years or so old supported a VFL side at least casually before becoming crows fans I reckon...
Alex

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:49 pm

No question.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:07 am

Wedgie wrote:Does anyone have any idea why the Powers third colour was teal in 1997 but is turquoise in 2018?

Collingwood wanted Teal for their Reserves for this year
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:18 am

LMA wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Alex wrote:Would have jumped on the port AFL bandwagon if they had kept their colours maybe. It's hard to say as the whole thing was such a farce at the time with the club claiming that the power were a new entity and the magpies remained in the SANFL. Adding to the joke at the time was the fact that a lot of supporters of other SANFL teams, particularly Sturt fans I knew started supporting the power whilst still hating the magpies. They, like me, bought the official line at the time that the power was the new entity.

I reckon it was the teal that brought them in.

I was of the other persuasion. I would rather have seen a genuine SANFL club enter, wearing their genuine SANFL colours with their genuine mascot, carrying all their traditions with them

I don't think sentiment is such a large part of it. More relevant for me is the credibility of what we are following as a sport.
What's the point of it all if you are going to throw it all away and follow someone else the moment it is more fashionable to do so? How can you then stand on the terraces and demand more of your side when the chips are down, if you yourself are going to drop it the minute the TV or the newspaper says that there's something better to do?

I think that is why I keep coming back to this site. I know most of the readers here feel the same way. For better or worse I think we are a rare breed.

So Port at the time of AFL entry weren't a genuine SANFL club. Again too much emphasis on guernsey and name, if they could of they would of, the same thing would of happened if it were Glenelg instead of Port

The Port that entered the AFL wasn’t
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby therisingblues » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:56 am

Alex wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Exactly why the fans would win..if the AFL couldn't sell teal and letting the power have black and white meant $$ then they would ultimately yield. If I did see the port AFL side as the original and actively supported them would not support the teal one bit. Assuming it is the real port then wearing it is a slap in the face. Not only 3 blue & white sides but the crows were let in when Fitzroy already had those colours. If port power didn't want to deliberately separate themselves into a new entity then they sure got bent over hard by the AFL.

Completely agree Alex.
That would have been a MASSIVE statement by the fans. Port Adelaide Magpies merchandising going through the roof, and the only gear sold by the Power going to the corporates whose job it is to tell the rest of us what to do. It would have created a sensation in Vic about how genuine Port and by proxy, SANFL clubs are, especially considering their lack of knowledge about the competition that pre-existed the Crows.
Certainly a big bargaining chip at the negotiation table. I believe that Collingwood had arrogantly stated that if the Power finished above it 3 years in a row, then they would be entitled to the Black and White. Well that did happen IIRC, but by then everyone had gotten USED to wearing teal, so it didn't matter anymore. The will of the fans could have been a force to be reckoned with...
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Jim05 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 am

therisingblues wrote:
Alex wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Completely agree Alex.
That would have been a MASSIVE statement by the fans. Port Adelaide Magpies merchandising going through the roof, and the only gear sold by the Power going to the corporates whose job it is to tell the rest of us what to do. It would have created a sensation in Vic about how genuine Port and by proxy, SANFL clubs are, especially considering their lack of knowledge about the competition that pre-existed the Crows.
Certainly a big bargaining chip at the negotiation table. I believe that Collingwood had arrogantly stated that if the Power finished above it 3 years in a row, then they would be entitled to the Black and White. Well that did happen IIRC, but by then everyone had gotten USED to wearing teal, so it didn't matter anymore. The will of the fans could have been a force to be reckoned with...

I’ve heard Eddie state numerous times that it was a myth in regards to Port finishing higher for 3 consecutive years and that it was a major condition of entry into their comp that Port changed their colours. The interstate clubs are wholly at fault for allowing the Victorian clubs to retain their power, had they held off another year or two a completely new competition would have been started under terms that suited everybody
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby LMA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:05 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Alex wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Completely agree Alex.

What's done is done, after 1990 you can hardly blame Port for lowering their colours, no pun intended. I would like the prison bar seen at least one home game per year but most Power fans that also supported the Magpies prior to entering are comfortable in the indisputable fact that the PAFC is represented in the AFL regardless of name or colour
LMA
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Jim05 wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Alex wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:The merchandise $$ would dry up as all the fan gear has the teal.

Completely agree Alex.

I’ve heard Eddie state numerous times that it was a myth in regards to Port finishing higher for 3 consecutive years and that it was a major condition of entry into their comp that Port changed their colours. The interstate clubs are wholly at fault for allowing the Victorian clubs to retain their power, had they held off another year or two a completely new competition would have been started under terms that suited everybody

I blame WA mostly. Very little SA could do after they joined.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby RB » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:01 pm

I agree with the last two posts. There were two ways a truly national league could have been created - either by taking e.g. 6 teams from Melbourne, 2 from Adelaide and Perth, one from Tasmania, maybe Sydney and Brisbane, and having the governance of the league shared by the state leagues. The bottom club from each state could have even played against the champion of each state league at the end of the season in a relegation/promotion playoff. Or, a whole bunch of totally new teams could have been created. Instead, we are left with the VFL + a few, run by Victoria. We should have held out and bargained for better terms but really WA should cop a lot of the blame.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:12 pm

RB wrote:I agree with the last two posts. There were two ways a truly national league could have been created - either by taking e.g. 6 teams from Melbourne, 2 from Adelaide and Perth, one from Tasmania, maybe Sydney and Brisbane, and having the governance of the league shared by the state leagues. The bottom club from each state could have even played against the champion of each state league at the end of the season in a relegation/promotion playoff. Or, a whole bunch of totally new teams could have been created. Instead, we are left with the VFL + a few, run by Victoria. We should have held out and bargained for better terms but really WA should cop a lot of the blame.

Yep. Nearly all the VFL clubs were close to broke and atleast 4 or 5 were in that dire of a state they would have folded in 2 years tops. Had the interstate state sides held out for another year or two we would of seen a brand new comp started similar to the A-League where teams would have had to apply to join and meet certain criteria. The balance of power would be split and it would be a truly national comp. Instead of that the interstate clubs bailed out the shit VFL clubs and handed over all their bargaining power, now they are stuck with it for eternity
Jim05
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:08 pm

IIRC it was a handful of Perth businessmen behind the deal to enter the Weagles into VFL. If I am not mixing up my histories, didn't the Weagles go broke not many years after?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:47 pm

therisingblues wrote:IIRC it was a handful of Perth businessmen behind the deal to enter the Weagles into VFL. If I am not mixing up my histories, didn't the Weagles go broke not many years after?

Yes the original owners were in bad financial strife and were bought out by the WAFC
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:44 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Wrong.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL