Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Animus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:52 am

Round 18: an interesting one!

(5) Magpies vs (4) Bulldogs - a Compass win combined with a Creek or Yank loss will give them the double chance with superior %. A Goolwa win will see them play finals.
(9) Mudlarks vs (10) Crushers - meh...
(6) Roos vs (3) Hawks - Victor need to win and see Goolwa lose to jump into 5th. Creek need a win to retain double chance, unless Compass lose
(1) Demons vs (8) Eagles - how will Willunga approach the game seen as top spot is locked in and a week off awaits
(2) Tigers vs (7) Roosters - Yank need to win to retain double chance, unless Compass lose
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Bull 04 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:59 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Bull 04 wrote:
Lets not take this all to seriously JJ. Go with your heart.

Nothing wrong with individual awards in team sports. Some teams only have success because of individuals and their brilliance. I get that there is no "I" in team but does it hurt to celebrate high achievement within a team.

I don't think so.

Using your logic the Brownlow, MVP, Coaches award and the Coleman are all self promoting.

Have no problem in recognizing individual achievements in team sports, just not overly a fan of some of them.
Mail , Brownlows, Magarey Medals etc are mostly a lottery and too much is made of the winner as often there are players just as good if not better that dont receive it. It is what it is i guess? An umpires award. Umpires role 1st and foremost is to umpire the game. To expect them to accurately determine who is the fairest and most brilliant player is a bit much to expect. Then again there will always be different opinions no matter who selects them i guess? There has probably never been a bad player to have won such an award over the years but there sure have been plenty that have left the majority of people scratching their heads how such players won it ahead of others. One thing for sure, there is no disputing the Premiership winner.
To me , Coaches Awards and MVP are a more relevant award.
Goalkicking Awards are what they are. Statistically undeniable and factual so no dramas with them. Heard a rumor many years ago that a former goalkicking champ from many decades ago who received quite a lot of goalkicking awards just tossed them in a heap in a shed out back as he thought they were irrelevant as he was just 1 of 18 players in the team on the field at anyone time who all contributed to the goals kicked.
If only there was a way to measure goals saved by a defender and have a Defender of the year award to make it more equitable. :lol:

Good work by the programmers who must be physic
Creek after just having 3 home games in a row play away this week at Victor. Just as well as the Creek oval and township is currently a couple of feet under water. Hopefully the floods dont keep coming regularly as they did last Sept / Oct and the oval recovers within 2 weeks for the scheduled 2nd Semi Final

Hi JJ,

Some good points there.

There is an award for the backline guys...................... The Golden Fist (Danny Frawley's favourite)

As a old forward the backlines reward is to watch the glorious forwards kick the winning score in the G/F's

The best reward there is.

;) ;) ;)
Bull 04
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Keefy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:36 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Bull 04 wrote:
Lets not take this all to seriously JJ. Go with your heart.

Nothing wrong with individual awards in team sports. Some teams only have success because of individuals and their brilliance. I get that there is no "I" in team but does it hurt to celebrate high achievement within a team.

I don't think so.

Using your logic the Brownlow, MVP, Coaches award and the Coleman are all self promoting.

Have no problem in recognizing individual achievements in team sports, just not overly a fan of some of them.
Mail , Brownlows, Magarey Medals etc are mostly a lottery and too much is made of the winner as often there are players just as good if not better that dont receive it. It is what it is i guess? An umpires award. Umpires role 1st and foremost is to umpire the game. To expect them to accurately determine who is the fairest and most brilliant player is a bit much to expect. Then again there will always be different opinions no matter who selects them i guess? There has probably never been a bad player to have won such an award over the years but there sure have been plenty that have left the majority of people scratching their heads how such players won it ahead of others. One thing for sure, there is no disputing the Premiership winner.
To me , Coaches Awards and MVP are a more relevant award.
Goalkicking Awards are what they are. Statistically undeniable and factual so no dramas with them. Heard a rumor many years ago that a former goalkicking champ from many decades ago who received quite a lot of goalkicking awards just tossed them in a heap in a shed out back as he thought they were irrelevant as he was just 1 of 18 players in the team on the field at anyone time who all contributed to the goals kicked.
If only there was a way to measure goals saved by a defender and have a Defender of the year award to make it more equitable. :lol:

Creek after just having 3 home games in a row play away this week at Victor. Just as well as the Creek oval and township is currently a couple of feet under water. Hopefully the floods dont keep coming regularly as they did last Sept / Oct and the oval recovers within 2 weeks for the scheduled 2nd Semi Final

Langhorne Creek Oval

Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby The Bedge » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Is that actual legit?!! :shock: :shock:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Keefy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Zartan wrote:Is that actual legit?!! :shock: :shock:

Yup
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby The Bedge » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:09 pm

That's fantastic! i've never seen anything like it haha!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Sure is.
Not an uncommon sight.
Flooding of the township is a result of the Bremer River flooding which has its catchment in the Mt Barker Area.
The Oval goes completely under on average about every 7 -8 years. Went under 3 times last Sept / Oct and before that was Sept 2010 when the Grand Final was transferred to Goolwa at the last minute.
Oval was under water as shown in the photo 14 days before the start of cricket season last year and play went ahead as scheduled. Not a bad effort considering they play on turf wickets.
Allowing for reasonable weather in the next 2 weeks the oval should be in reasonable condition for the 2nd Semi Final
If Mt Barker cops 30 - 40 mm of rain on any one day in coming weeks then the repeat will happen and the Finals will need to be shifted.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby damian » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

The only way through the creek is by boat atm... If the oval is NA for the second semi has a back up ground for any finals been published yet?

As in other years, another Club will put their hand up to host the Second Semi of the Creek stays a lake. To keep it fair, it will be a swap of hosting rights, Creek will then host the Second Semi another year in place of whichever Club was to do it this year.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby Newkid » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Any tribunal news on warren??
Newkid
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Newkid wrote:Any tribunal news on warren??

Didn't challenge it.
Took the 2 games
Probably miss at least 3 anyway with the injury received from the incident he retaliated to.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby ball breaker » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:53 pm

jackpot jim wrote:

Didn't challenge it.
Took the 2 games
Probably miss at least 3 anyway with the injury received from the incident he retaliated to.
What actually happened?? Was it something that LCFC considered submitting a club report?
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby innocent bystander » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Did I hear right that a certain under 14 team deliberately did not score a single point today to get the mercy rule for percentage and secure 5th spot?
Does not sound sportsman like or a good thing to be teaching youth. Apparently their supporters cheered after losing like that? Really?!
innocent bystander
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby old fullback » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Citysiders.. :)
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:00 am

ball breaker wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

Didn't challenge it.
Took the 2 games
What actually happened?? Was it something that LCFC considered submitting a club report?

I Wasn't at the game so can only go on what i was told
From what i can gather it was an allegedly unnecessarily forceful strike to the midriff in the act of play. Unfortunately suffered an internal injury as a result from it that may see him miss the entire Finals series.
Not an incident a club would consider worthy of reporting.

Not sure what would constitute a report these days especially if one tries to make sense of the AFLs MRP rulings these days :roll:
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:24 am

innocent bystander wrote:Did I hear right that a certain under 14 team deliberately did not score a single point today to get the mercy rule for percentage and secure 5th spot?
Does not sound sportsman like or a good thing to be teaching youth. Apparently their supporters cheered after losing like that? Really?!

Very interesting conspiracy theory

Doing a few calculations, if McLaren kept Myponga / Sellicks to 1 point rather than 2 points, they would have made the Finals on %so guess one could say they had their fate in their own hands.
And yes, If Encounter Bay had managed to score 1 goal instead of no score, the quirkiness of the 10 goal maximum win rule would have actually seen their % drop below that of McLarens and they would have missed out. Very weird situation that a team is better off not scoring at all to minimize loss of %.
If the direction of the coach was to not deliberately score then i say yes, its not a good message to send but i guess a coaches job apart from developing the players talent is also do what it takes to qualify for Finals and it was probably a smart thing to do.
The way Willunga has smashed every team this year, theres a fair chance E Bay may not have scored even if they did try.
Willunga had a total of 108 points scored against them this year, an average of exactly 6 points per game.
75 of those 108 points were conceded against the 2nd and 3rd teams leaving only 33 points conceded in the other 14 matches.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:12 am

The Yetti wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:FWIW here's my Premiership Table after round 18 Actual table after 18 rounds
1/ Willunga 1/ Willunga
2/ Mt Compass 2/ Creeks
3/ Victor 3/ Mt Compass
4/ Yank 4/ Yank
5/ E Bay 5/ Goolwa / PE
6/ Creeks 6/ Victor
7/ Strath 7/ Strath
8/ Myponga/Sellicks 8/ E Bay
9/ Goolwa/Pt Elliot 9/ Myp / Sellicks
10/ McLaren 10/ McLaren

Will be interesting to see how far out i am :roll:

A fair bit I would reckon

My ladder prediction after 4 rounds wasn't too bad in the end.
Got 4 teams spot on
My main misses were Creeks shocking everyone by finishing 2nd on the back of winning their last 7 games and G / PE finishing 5th as well as Victor 6th instead of a predicted 3rd.

Quite a remarkable season with so many twists and turns.
Should be an interesting Finals series for sure

Grand Final Prediction - Willunga v Mt Compass
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Smashed Crab » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:13 am

Compass are a 5 goal better team with Pinyon playing (50 goals in 11 games). I take it now it's final's he won't be playing for the Crows again this year.
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby ball breaker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Predictions for this weekend????

Im picking both teams that finished the home and away season with the higher percentage than their opponent.

MCFC over LCFC
YFC over GFC

good luck to all ImageImage
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Smashed Crab » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:47 am

Imagine the uproar if the Mclaren V Victor game earlier in the year hadn't been overturned due to goal umpire error. If it didn't victor would have made finals and Goolwa would have missed out. Didn't change much for Mclaren though.

Compass to win by 4 goals
Goolwa to cause an upset by 2 goals, Mega Head to have a blinder if he plays
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby field of dreams » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:56 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times