Not all black and white

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Not all black and white

Postby Magellan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:34 pm

Getting away from the whinge for a tick, IIRC Hodges started out in the Port league side as a reasonably average half back flanker under Ebert's last year. Does anyone know what prompted him to get the chance to play at full-forward? Stroke of genius by Cahill (or whoever it may've been) to give him the opportunity.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby UK Fan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:20 pm

I was a massive Scott Hodges fan even as an opposition supporter. What a footballer he was.

He put doggies dynasty back 5 years.

Massive respect.

As for his AFL career he was in the top 10 for players to reach 100 afl goals in the least amount of games. But that was a few years ago so that stat may not be current.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby GWW » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Magellan wrote:Getting away from the whinge for a tick, IIRC Hodges started out in the Port league side as a reasonably average half back flanker under Ebert's last year. Does anyone know what prompted him to get the chance to play at full-forward? Stroke of genius by Cahill (or whoever it may've been) to give him the opportunity.

From memory, in his first year or 2 under Cahill he played on a forward flank, with D Smith full forward, whilst Greg Phillips and Martin Leslie were experimented with at CHF.

When Cahill came back, in 88, he played Phillips at CHB, with Abernethy and Leslie on the back flanks. D Smith went went to CHF, and Hodges went to FF.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby whufc » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:06 pm

Booney wrote:And there's ******* whinging in here. :roll:

**** off to the 576 other threads and sulk in there.

In fairness Hodges brings it up himself and says he has struggled a bit with the Port Power concept
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MW » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:08 pm

Without reading the book it seems Tilt struggled with coping with a lot of things with his mental health issues
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby whufc » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:12 pm

MW wrote:Without reading the book it seems Tilt struggled with coping with a lot of things with his mental health issues

Yeah can definitely understand how the Magpies to Crows transition would have been a huge mental battle
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby UK Fan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:54 am

whufc wrote:

In fairness Hodges brings it up himself and says he has struggled a bit with the Port Power concept

He supports Collingwood and port magpies.

Hodges is the opposite to Morell.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby therisingblues » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:03 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Just coz you don't agree with him doesn't mean he's whinging.
But there are other threads to DISCUSS it.

I think some people don't want to remember what it is to be a true Magpie. Perhaps tarnishes the myth that everything is just so rosy now?
My understanding of how Hodges feels about the whole Power thing would suggest to me that it definitely is worth remembering in this, a thread about him.
But I agree with Amber, it would probably be better if you DISCUSSED it elsewhere Booney.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:00 am

therisingblues wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Just coz you don't agree with him doesn't mean he's whinging.
But there are other threads to DISCUSS it.

I think some people don't want to remember what it is to be a true Magpie. Perhaps tarnishes the myth that everything is just so rosy now?
My understanding of how Hodges feels about the whole Power thing would suggest to me that it definitely is worth remembering in this, a thread about him.
But I agree with Amber, it would probably be better if you DISCUSSED it elsewhere Booney.

If I discussed it elsewhere? :lol:

I'm disappointed a thread about Hodges, his bravery to come out with his issues and the chance to celebrate a player and person of his calibre has been tainted by another sulk.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:05 am

GWW wrote:
Magellan wrote:Getting away from the whinge for a tick, IIRC Hodges started out in the Port league side as a reasonably average half back flanker under Ebert's last year. Does anyone know what prompted him to get the chance to play at full-forward? Stroke of genius by Cahill (or whoever it may've been) to give him the opportunity.

From memory, in his first year or 2 under Cahill he played on a forward flank, with D Smith full forward, whilst Greg Phillips and Martin Leslie were experimented with at CHF.

When Cahill came back, in 88, he played Phillips at CHB, with Abernethy and Leslie on the back flanks. D Smith went went to CHF, and Hodges went to FF.

Thanks GWW. Sounds right, now that I think about it. I recall Philips in his return from the VFL in 1987 playing at CHF, and Smith at FF in about 1986 and 1987.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:29 am

Phillips kicked 5 or 6 one day from memory, I reckon one of them was a drop kick in the goal square too.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 am

GWW wrote:

Throw David Hynes into the mix and the Maggies had some serious KP firepower. Then their mids like Williams, Obst, Smith etc regularly seemed to hit the scoreboard. That Port side of 88'-90' was something to behold.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:34 am

JK wrote:
GWW wrote:

Throw David Hynes into the mix and the Maggies had some serious KP firepower. Then their mids like Williams, Obst, Smith etc regularly seemed to hit the scoreboard. That Port side of 88'-90' was something to behold.

Makes you wounder what might've been for Russell Ebert if he didn't get the sack at the end of 1987 - how much of those sides was a direct result of Cahill, or did they just happen to mature at that time? I guess an argument for the former was Cahill moving Phillips to CHB, and man, was that half back line with Leslie and Abernethy.
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:05 am

I still think they needed Cahill to take them to that next level, but you're right it might have been a case of timing. Think the loss of Anthony Williams shouldn't be underestimated either, it galvanized the group for a stirring come from behind win at the Parade, and that's when it appeared (from the outside of course) that the group actually started to believe in how good they were.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:24 am

JK wrote:I still think they needed Cahill to take them to that next level, but you're right it might have been a case of timing. Think the loss of Anthony Williams shouldn't be underestimated either, it galvanized the group for a stirring come from behind win at the Parade, and that's when it appeared (from the outside of course) that the group actually started to believe in how good they were.

Agree 100% on the Williams tragedy, it seemed to galvanise the side into believing it could win when 4 or 5 goals down at three-quarter time. I associated that comeback quality about with Cahill's sides as compared to Ebert.

Definitely saw this first hand a few weeks later at Footy Park when Port did just that against North, came from 23 points down IIRC. Greg Phillips' tackle on David Wildy late in the last when about to shoot for goal kick long into the forward line arguably won them the game (and ended Wildy's career, never played again).
Magellan
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:17 pm

Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 am

Big Phil wrote:https://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/david-and-will/The-Time-Scotty-Hodges-Bailed-On-A-Game-Halfway-Through

Great call in his time. Might have been different if he was born 10 years later though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:36 am

Knocked over nearly half the book last night, easy read and hard to put down.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:54 am

Read a few of the excerpts they published on adelaide now. Some of it was very interesting, and i sympathised a lot with his mental health issues.

A few of the later excerpts made him sound like a spoilt brat though. Like he lived being a big fish in a little pond.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:58 am

He was black and white from an early age, even to the point where he couldn't cop playing for Centrals and threw in the towel there during his junior footy days. Interestingly he supports Collingwood in the AFL and struggles with the concept of Port Power. Certainly was an outstanding full forward and a big game player.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum