1%
Tea Tree Gully
8%

Total votes : 73

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2017

Postby Sass! » Wed May 24, 2017 10:39 am

jo172 wrote:
Sass! wrote:
jo172 wrote:The point above would be a bit stronger if it wasn't the 4th incident in 14 months.

Modbury would have to be the unluckiest Club in the Country to have so many significant incidents in such a short period of time, all of which dealing with people outside their control.

In any event, with the amended affiliation agreement model the League's been pretty clear that it's working towards a model of collective responsibility for club disciplinary breaches for a long time and it would appear to be clearly working.

If you think that four individual incidents by 4 indivduals (1 with absolutely nothing to do with our club) over the space of 1 and a half seasons fits into the cataegory of "so many" then you are ignorant. When you regularly get a couple of thousand people to your home games, it is impossible for our club members and officials to ensrue that not one person steps out of line for a single moment, despite an enormous effort by our committee to do so.

Sass! wrote: Oh its certainly possible

Fantastic achievement Jo, youve made an incredibly valid point.. you are correct, Modbury are an ultra-vilonet club that encourages unrest and completely ignores the fact that it relies heavily on a vibrant and postive culture to keep Juniors around so they can make their way up the divisions and be sustainable there. Its a dangerous place to be and you should avoid it all costs, stay safe in your glass house mate and have a great day.
Sass!
Under 16s

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby jo172 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:41 am

Sass! wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Sass! wrote:
jo172 wrote:The point above would be a bit stronger if it wasn't the 4th incident in 14 months.

Modbury would have to be the unluckiest Club in the Country to have so many significant incidents in such a short period of time, all of which dealing with people outside their control.

In any event, with the amended affiliation agreement model the League's been pretty clear that it's working towards a model of collective responsibility for club disciplinary breaches for a long time and it would appear to be clearly working.

If you think that four individual incidents by 4 indivduals (1 with absolutely nothing to do with our club) over the space of 1 and a half seasons fits into the cataegory of "so many" then you are ignorant. When you regularly get a couple of thousand people to your home games, it is impossible for our club members and officials to ensrue that not one person steps out of line for a single moment, despite an enormous effort by our committee to do so.

Sass! wrote: Oh its certainly possible

Fantastic achievement Jo, youve made an incredibly valid point.. you are correct, Modbury are an ultra-vilonet club that encourages unrest and completely ignores the fact that it relies heavily on a vibrant and postive culture to keep Juniors around so they can make their way up the divisions and be sustainable there. Its a dangerous place to be and you should avoid it all costs, stay safe in your glass house mate and have a great day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby morell » Wed May 24, 2017 10:48 am

This is kind of like watching a cat play with a mouse.

Classic case of "Responding to Tone".
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Q. » Wed May 24, 2017 11:05 am

Does Modbury usually have multiple MDOs on the days they attract large crowds?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Sass! » Wed May 24, 2017 11:13 am

Q. wrote:Does Modbury usually have multiple MDOs on the days they attract large crowds?

yes mate, and a number of committee members, club members and others that can address matters if an isolate instance occurs.
Sass!
Under 16s

Postby Q. » Wed May 24, 2017 11:16 am

Sass! wrote:
Q. wrote:Does Modbury usually have multiple MDOs on the days they attract large crowds?

yes mate, and a number of committee members, club members and others that can address matters if an isolate instance occurs.

Makes sense.

Thankfully we have an omnipotent/omnipreset MDO
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Sass! » Wed May 24, 2017 11:20 am

morell wrote:This is kind of like watching a cat play with a mouse.

Classic case of "Responding to Tone".

yeah, to say i feel a bit silly now for taking the hook and reacting is an understatement.. :oops:

i think when you are so aware of the inner workings of your club and how hard they work to avoid situations like this/ respond to them internally, it hurts to see our entire football community dealt such a blow.
Sass!
Under 16s

Postby morell » Wed May 24, 2017 11:22 am

Understand, you're not the first nor last to be on the end of a jo takedown, myself included.
morell
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed May 24, 2017 11:28 am

It is easy to take pair shots from afar though :roll:

Some clubs due to demographics have to work a lot harder to keep things under control on match days.
99% of supporters will do the right thing but it only takes one idiot and the whole club looks bad for it.

I feel for Modbury as the penalty is harsh but unfortunately that's how we learn in life.

Hopefully the club doesn't suffer too much financially and it spurs them on to bigger and better things.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby morell » Wed May 24, 2017 11:31 am

Yeah and jo's point, which is apt, is that is absolutely understandable the first time something like this occurred.

Second time? Maybe excusable, still learning about what the problem is.

Third time? Now a trend. Must act.

Fourth time? Something has to be done by the league. With thousands rocking up to a game for a local derby and a recent and repeated history of unruly crowd behaviour, the league simply has to minimise its risk.
morell
Coach

Postby Rusty81 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:15 pm

morell wrote:Yeah and jo's point, which is apt, is that is absolutely understandable the first time something like this occurred.

Fourth time? Something has to be done by the league. With thousands rocking up to a game for a local derby and a recent and repeated history of unruly crowd behaviour, the league simply has to minimise its risk.

Do you think it might be possible that because of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and now 4th 'incident' umpires/officials become hyper aware of this and are quicker to report incidents than they are at other clubs? Perhaps even have their ears pricked looking for it?

The punishment is extremely harsh not only on MFC but on the wider sporting community in the area. This game brings so many supporters out to Amateur footy, many whom don't normally attend.

I have no problem with the club losing a home game if that is deemed the most appropriate punishment by the league but to make it this game seems overs to me!
Rusty81
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby SATCHEL » Wed May 24, 2017 12:19 pm

:oops:
Last edited by SATCHEL on Thu May 25, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SATCHEL
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 53 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby morell » Wed May 24, 2017 12:28 pm

Rusty81 wrote:
morell wrote:Yeah and jo's point, which is apt, is that is absolutely understandable the first time something like this occurred.

Do you think it might be possible that because of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and now 4th 'incident' umpires/officials become hyper aware of this and are quicker to report incidents than they are at other clubs? Perhaps even have their ears pricked looking for it?

The punishment is extremely harsh not only on MFC but on the wider sporting community in the area. This game brings so many supporters out to Amateur footy, many whom don't normally attend.

I have no problem with the club losing a home game if that is deemed the most appropriate punishment by the league but to make it this game seems overs to me!
I can only go on what has been widely reported, including direct quotes from the CEO of the AdFl. If they're accurate, which I have no reason to doubt their veracity, then the action is fair and reasonable.

And this is exactly the sort of game the league should move. Bigger crowd, stretched resources, increased passion, more pressure... perfect recipe for something really bad to happen.

I'd say this measure is more about risk management and some breathing space to put in some controls, than it is punishment for Modbury.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed May 24, 2017 12:30 pm

SATCHEL wrote:What I will say is that you cannot and I challenge anyone to tell me differently, manage and control every single person that comes to watch a game of footy. Its physically impossible.
No, but you can mitigate.

Which is what the league are doing.
morell
Coach

Postby SATCHEL » Wed May 24, 2017 12:59 pm

:oops:
Last edited by SATCHEL on Thu May 25, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SATCHEL
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 53 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Sass! » Wed May 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Appreciate the words Satchel, i was there in the under 16's grandfinal vs Seaton last year when the young player of yours lashed out, i saw the sheer dissapointment of the coaching staff and Rosewater officials as they tried to mitigate the situation and contain it, knowing all too well that it could be he straw that breaks the camels back.. i sympathised with the situation you were in then as it was evident that you had no control over it..

And Morrell, i usually agree with alot of what you say but i have to completely disagree with you on the fact that moving the gullies game was about removing the risk.. Modbury and Gullies are neighbours, its one of the healthiest and longest rivalries in Amateur league but far from a spiteful affair, the opposition players, officials and supporters are often work colleagues, family members or very close mates.. the day is anything but spiteful and about local bragging rights.. Moving that game is about inflicting a significant punishment and potentially even netting some profit (if there is a charge on the gate for the day).
Last edited by Sass! on Fri May 26, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sass!
Under 16s

Postby jo172 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:57 pm

My suspicion is that the whole moving of the Gullies game is Modbury being a victim of the calendar. By all logic a penalty needs to be the next [x] games'.

Bloody bad luck that it was TTG and not SPOC or someone
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby amber_fluid » Wed May 24, 2017 2:01 pm

jo172 wrote:My suspicion is that the whole moving of the Gullies game is Modbury being a victim of the calendar. By all logic a penalty needs to be the next [x] games'.

Bloody bad luck that it was TTG and not SPOC or someone

A penalty is applied to punish you so if you're not being punished it's not really a penalty.
It's harsh but it's the decision the league has made unfortunately.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby morell » Wed May 24, 2017 2:27 pm

Sass! wrote:And Morrell, i usually agree with alot of what you say but i have to completely disagree with you on the fact that moving the gullies game was about removing the risk.. Modbury and Gullies are neighbours, its one of the healthiest and longest rivalries in Amateur league but far from a spiteful affair, the opposition players, officials and supporters are often work colleagues, family members or very close mates.. the day is anything but spiteful and about local bragging rights.. Moving that game is about inflicting a significant punishment and potentially even netting some profit (if there is a charge on the gate for the day).
Understand the rivalry but ultimately there will be more people than a normal game, it might be a friendly but staff, volunteers and the like will be stretched.

Probably a mixture of unfortunate timing for MFC, punitive measures and risk management from the league I'd say.
morell
Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:10 pm

jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext