The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Rising Power » Mon May 22, 2017 1:16 pm

stan wrote:The stupid thing about the Summerton situation is that Port were weaker for having more AFL listed players.

Summerton is a 200 game veteran and been going pretty well lately. Replace his skill and experience with a couple of unco 19 year olds.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yep, bring on that cap come finals time.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby robranisgod » Mon May 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Rising Power wrote:
stan wrote:The stupid thing about the Summerton situation is that Port were weaker for having more AFL listed players.

Summerton is a 200 game veteran and been going pretty well lately. Replace his skill and experience with a couple of unco 19 year olds.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yep, bring on that cap come finals time.

I agree that the cap will benefit Port come the finals. A 200 SANFL game Summerton is certainly a better player at this stage than the last few "juniors' on the Power list. As stated elsewhere, the fact that Port had to play players like Flynn and Russell in the 2014 SANFL Grand Final probably cost them the game.
I don't know which mental giant thought up the idea of a finals cap thinking that it would weaken the Crows and Port.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby therisingblues » Mon May 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Would definitely weaken the Crows.
If Port were forced to make up the numbers with unproven top ups it would hurt them too. Just highlights the ridiculous situation of having three different sets of rules for who you can have out on the park.
If Port had the same rules as the Crows, Summerton wouldn't be playing for the Magpies at all.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby PhilH » Tue May 23, 2017 8:31 pm

It's weird out West,,,, East Perth told by WAFC (not the Bloods) they have to be Eagles aligned club for 2019 whether they wish to or not

https://thewest.com.au/sport/the-tuesday-wafl---east-perths-afl-alignment-stitch-up-by-wa-football-commission-ng-b88484485z
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby heater31 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:52 pm

PhilH wrote:It's weird out West,,,, East Perth told by WAFC (not the Bloods) they have to be Eagles aligned club for 2019 whether they wish to or not

https://thewest.com.au/sport/the-tuesday-wafl---east-perths-afl-alignment-stitch-up-by-wa-football-commission-ng-b88484485z

Well the Royals board made their bed back 2013 so now they must lie in it......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby UK Fan » Wed May 24, 2017 10:53 am

morell wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Actually I did answer above. You probably just skim read past it. Like everything else.

Slow down take it in and see if you understand it this time.

You've spent the last 8-10 pages laying the boot into sa football at every opportunity u can.

But you're not bitter or resentful towards sa football ??

Really port fan.

Not resentful towards whicker and the sanfl at all. Surely not even you are stupid enough to believe that...
Yes, sorry I did miss it. My bad.

So we've now confirmed by your admission that indeed the 16M (its closer to 14M but whatevs) consisted of mostly AFL money that was loaned to the SANFL. We're getting there UK Fan good stuff.

Since the AFL *loaned* the money, how do we think the SANFL are paying back the AFL, as in, where are they getting this money from? That's a lot of coin at a time where SANFL revenue was already pretty low. The AFL are pretty savvy operators, I don't think they'd just give it away...

Of course you and I know - the SANFL sold the license back and got in on the deal with the SMA to get Adelaide Oval gameday revenue.

Which goes ALLLLLLLL the way back to these couple of posts:

morell wrote:Just so I am clear, when Port got bailed out, do we subtract that from the 6.9 million we paid the SANFL over 15 years for our license or nah?

and
morell wrote:... and the gameday revenue from Adelaide Oval the SANFL get as part of the SMA? Do we calculate that too or nah?

You blokes all focus on one line item rather than the bottom of the balance sheet.

Which boils down to:.

The total cost to sa football was $16 million.

Well done. Thanks for confirming.

Which doesn't include interest charges obviously or AFL, federal and state government grants to PAFC.

As previously mentioned.

anything else u need confirmed Franky ??
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby morell » Wed May 24, 2017 11:14 am

UK Fan wrote:The total cost to sa football was $16 million.
Ah yes, the good old "cost to sa football" line. Love it. The truth of course was a whole bunch of that money, indeed the majority of it, was lent by the AFL with the agreement that the SANFL, through the sale of their AFL licenses and Adelaide Oval game day revenue, would pay it back.

Its like a bank trying to claim a completed mortgage term as "total cost to the bank". It's an absurd argument that only a vehement anti-Port zealot would propagate.

Considering Port have contributed that and more back to "sa football" (remember to look at the bottom of the balance sheet, not line items) I might start rolling out the...

"Total cost to Port Adelaide FC" that the SANFL have hampered us with in regards to shitty stadium deals, absurd restrictions on operations, constant undermining and enforced limitations on business development that Port have had to endure since, really, 1990.

Wonder what that would add up to so then we can quote it in an Advertiser article and post it all over safooty in some sort of anti-SANFL crusade...
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby UK Fan » Wed May 24, 2017 5:36 pm

morell wrote:
Ah yes, the good old "cost to sa football" line. Love it. The truth of course was a whole bunch of that money, indeed the majority of it, was lent by the AFL with the agreement that the SANFL, through the sale of their AFL licenses and Adelaide Oval game day revenue, would pay it back.

Its like a bank trying to claim a completed mortgage term as "total cost to the bank". It's an absurd argument that only a vehement anti-Port zealot would propagate.

Considering Port have contributed that and more back to "sa football" (remember to look at the bottom of the balance sheet, not line items) I might start rolling out the...

"Total cost to Port Adelaide FC" that the SANFL have hampered us with in regards to shitty stadium deals, absurd restrictions on operations, constant undermining and enforced limitations on business development that Port have had to endure since, really, 1990.

Wonder what that would add up to so then we can quote it in an Advertiser article and post it all over safooty in some sort of anti-SANFL crusade...

Go for it mate.I wonder why nobody has ever done that before. I wonder.....

So when we sell the crows licence that comes off Ports debt sa football underwrote ???

If afl game day revenue is so good why is sa football in its worst financial position since 1990 ?? So bad in fact it had to sell its number one assett to pay off its GROWING debt ??? Greedy sanfl clubs ???

According to PAFCs financials in 2011 the SANFL grant received was $4 million not $2 mill as per your calculations ??

Why would that be ??

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby morell » Wed May 24, 2017 5:52 pm

UK Fan wrote:
morell wrote:

Because most reasonable people understand that in the wash Port have given as much back as they've taken - if not more, and thus couldn't be bothered.

How many people would go along and watch the South Coast Sharks in the AFL? Thus how much game day revenue would the SANFL get through their SMA deal? The reason why the second AFL license worked is because it was Port Adelaide.

UK Fan wrote:So when we sell the crows licence that comes off Ports debt sa football underwrote ???
No. And the SANFL have already sold it back to the AFL for 11M.

UK Fan wrote:If afl game day revenue is so good why is sa football in its worst financial position since 1990 ?? So bad in fact it had to sell its number one assett to pay off its GROWING debt ??? Greedy sanfl clubs ???
Because no one really cares about tinpot state leagues anymore. The game has moved on. Clearly you haven't.

And last time I checked both Port and Adelaide were incredibly healthy and Auskick was booming. The AdFL is going gangbusters.

That's the thing, you keep conflating "SA Football" with the SANFL when they're mutually exclusive.

UK Fan wrote:According to PAFCs financials in 2011 the SANFL grant received was $4 million not $2 mill as per your calculations ??

Why would that be ??
It was 2 million in 2012 and 4 million in 2011.

Page 11:

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Te ... Report.pdf
morell
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 am

morell wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
morell wrote:

Because most reasonable people understand that in the wash Port have given as much back as they've taken - if not more, and thus couldn't be bothered.

How many people would go along and watch the South Coast Sharks in the AFL? Thus how much game day revenue would the SANFL get through their SMA deal? The reason why the second AFL license worked is because it was Port Adelaide.

UK Fan wrote:So when we sell the crows licence that comes off Ports debt sa football underwrote ???
No. And the SANFL have already sold it back to the AFL for 11M.

UK Fan wrote:If afl game day revenue is so good why is sa football in its worst financial position since 1990 ?? So bad in fact it had to sell its number one assett to pay off its GROWING debt ??? Greedy sanfl clubs ???
Because no one really cares about tinpot state leagues anymore. The game has moved on. Clearly you haven't.

And last time I checked both Port and Adelaide were incredibly healthy and Auskick was booming. The AdFL is going gangbusters.

That's the thing, you keep conflating "SA Football" with the SANFL when they're mutually exclusive.

UK Fan wrote:According to PAFCs financials in 2011 the SANFL grant received was $4 million not $2 mill as per your calculations ??

Why would that be ??
It was 2 million in 2012 and 4 million in 2011.

Page 11:

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Te ... Report.pdf

The question was Why did you get $4 million not $2 million like you said ???? Not to prove my point again.

But sa football is worse off now than before we invented afl clubs. How is that possible when we are swimming in bucketloads of game day REVENUE as you claim ??

Your straw man arguments simply don't add up Mate. Sa football got $45 mill in debt due to no one care about a tinpot league ?? You do know how dumb that is ???

Why don't you simply come out and say you hate sa football. That's what this really is about at the end of the day.

Man up and get it off your chest Franky and save the rest of us your dumb ass bullshit .

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby morell » Thu May 25, 2017 10:54 am

UK Fan wrote:The question was Why did you get $4 million not $2 million like you said ???? Not to prove my point again.
I freely admitted Port received that money UK Fan. I was questioning where it came from, how it was paid back and the structure of the deals that enabled it.

You've so blatantly changed your argument. But at least we've manged to get you to shift your thoughts.

Keep in mind you originally claimed Port just received 16m dollars from the SANFL like they walked up and withdrew it from the ATM.

UK Fan wrote:But sa football is worse off now than before we invented afl clubs. How is that possible when we are swimming in bucketloads of game day REVENUE as you claim ??
See, you're doing it again - conflating this mythical "SA Football" with the SANFL.

The SANFL is a league, it doesn't represent the entire interest of football in this state, heck, it doesn't even represent a majority. It is now a minority stakeholder. And a diminishing one at that.

Football (not the SANFL league, but the sport) in this state is healthy because smart people have been able to lift their eyes out of the petty state oriented bullshit you're stuck in.

Use some strategic thought, come along and stand on the hill at the amazing Adelaide Oval next Thursday with me when Port play Hawthorn with 50k "SA football" supporters, I'll buy you a beer, you'll have a great time! Then Saturday come alone to Para Hills for the top of the table clash of Para Hills vs Mitchell Park and see the ammos run around for a dose of local footy. Then on Sunday come help me goal umpire and we can watch the juniors strut their stuff to see the next generation.

It'll be awesome mate, PM your mobile #, I promise you it'll lift your spirits. :D

UK Fan wrote:Your straw man arguments simply don't add up Mate. Sa football got $45 mill in debt due to no one care about a tinpot league ?? You do know how dumb that is ???
The SANFL (no, not SA football) got into 45m worth of debt because no one cares about tinpot state leagues, yes.

UK Fan wrote:Why don't you simply come out and say you hate sa football. That's what this really is about at the end of the day.
Freely admit I dislike the SANFL. I don't hate, that's too strong a word in these dark times. I *love* SA Football though. It's my passion, actually.

UK Fan wrote:Man up and get it off your chest Franky and save the rest of us your dumb ass bullshit .
K.
morell
Coach

Postby jo172 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:11 am

To add to Morrell's views you'll find a substantial portion of the grassroots football community who is of the view that the SANFL actively works to Community Football's detriment. It has a very narrow focus and it certainly isn't the broader interests of the sport in the state.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby morell » Thu May 25, 2017 11:28 am

It is amazing to come across people that are so blinkered that they think the SANFL is the entirety of the SA football landscape.

Well, amazing and sad.
morell
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 25, 2017 12:13 pm

LMAO, the irony.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby morell » Thu May 25, 2017 12:28 pm

Assuming you're trying to claim that Port supporters think they're the entirety of the football landscape?

I think the Crows hold sway but as Port are the only pre-existing club to successfully move from a state league to the national league and hold half the AFL licences in the state. 60k members. 40k + at most games. Revenue in the tens of millions. National footprint. I mean, its pretty silly to suggest that we're not a massive part of football in this state.

The point is, people like UK Fan (and others ITT) have to try and understand that its not 1975 anymore and the SANFL is no longer the pinnacle of football. Nor is it the grassroots.

It's an awkward frumpy old man angry at the world for leaving it behind.
morell
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Thu May 25, 2017 12:53 pm

morell wrote:
UK Fan wrote:The question was Why did you get $4 million not $2 million like you said ???? Not to prove my point again.
I freely admitted Port received that money UK Fan. I was questioning where it came from, how it was paid back and the structure of the deals that enabled it.

You've so blatantly changed your argument. But at least we've manged to get you to shift your thoughts.

Keep in mind you originally claimed Port just received 16m dollars from the SANFL like they walked up and withdrew it from the ATM.

UK Fan wrote:But sa football is worse off now than before we invented afl clubs. How is that possible when we are swimming in bucketloads of game day REVENUE as you claim ??
See, you're doing it again - conflating this mythical "SA Football" with the SANFL.

The SANFL is a league, it doesn't represent the entire interest of football in this state, heck, it doesn't even represent a majority. It is now a minority stakeholder. And a diminishing one at that.

Football (not the SANFL league, but the sport) in this state is healthy because smart people have been able to lift their eyes out of the petty state oriented bullshit you're stuck in.

Use some strategic thought, come along and stand on the hill at the amazing Adelaide Oval next Thursday with me when Port play Hawthorn with 50k "SA football" supporters, I'll buy you a beer, you'll have a great time! Then Saturday come alone to Para Hills for the top of the table clash of Para Hills vs Mitchell Park and see the ammos run around for a dose of local footy. Then on Sunday come help me goal umpire and we can watch the juniors strut their stuff to see the next generation.

It'll be awesome mate, PM your mobile #, I promise you it'll lift your spirits. :D

UK Fan wrote:Your straw man arguments simply don't add up Mate. Sa football got $45 mill in debt due to no one care about a tinpot league ?? You do know how dumb that is ???
The SANFL (no, not SA football) got into 45m worth of debt because no one cares about tinpot state leagues, yes.

UK Fan wrote:Why don't you simply come out and say you hate sa football. That's what this really is about at the end of the day.
Freely admit I dislike the SANFL. I don't hate, that's too strong a word in these dark times. I *love* SA Football though. It's my passion, actually.

UK Fan wrote:Man up and get it off your chest Franky and save the rest of us your dumb ass bullshit .
K.

Take him up on that beer UK fan, I know for a fact you wont have to buy him one back..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 25, 2017 2:25 pm

morell wrote:Port are the only pre-existing club to successfully move from a state league to the national league

arent they the ONLY club to do it, successful or not?

hardly something to hang your hat on really.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Thu May 25, 2017 2:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:Port are the only pre-existing club to successfully move from a state league to the national league

arent they the ONLY club to do it, successful or not?

hardly something to hang your hat on really.

The only club to have ever done it, in your words, and it's not worthy of "hanging your hat on"? You customers are clueless.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10773 times

Postby oldfella » Thu May 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Silly me, i thought all the victorian clubs moved from a state league vfl to a national league vfl
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 25, 2017 2:31 pm

oldfella wrote:Silly me, i thought all the victorian clubs moved from a state league vfl to a national league vfl

Incorrect, the comp just changed it names. Any suggestions that Port "moved" between any comps is also incorrect. A new entity was created who eventually killed the original PAFC, the records clearly show that.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL