Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

by Tony Clifton » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Uni will grab a few Lehmann Academy players I'm sure

Delmont really gone? Have heard that he's moving permanently to the UK for the last three seasons but he keeps fronting up
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

by Brodlach » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Haha Richard would not be backward in coming forward with his thoughts. Great bloke.

Doubt Alex would leave and then have his younger brother left playing at the Buffalos
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

by Aeropti » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Bailey Hann would be a good fit for uni after losing Agar and Hilditch.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

by backoftheroom » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Aeropti wrote:Bailey Hann would be a good fit for uni after losing Agar and Hilditch.

I hope that's a joke. Bailey Hann didn't get picked in the 19's and they had no decent quicks. He's a B Grade bowler at best. Oakley, Patterson, Robins, Grant, Fox, Boylan, Johnson, Daniel, Fatchen are all much better bowlers and around the same age. I've probably missed three of four others as well a year or two either side of him.
backoftheroom

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

by Aeropti » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:05 pm

backoftheroom wrote:
Aeropti wrote:Bailey Hann would be a good fit for uni after losing Agar and Hilditch.

I hope that's a joke. Bailey Hann didn't get picked in the 19's and they had no decent quicks. He's a B Grade bowler at best. Oakley, Patterson, Robins, Grant, Fox, Boylan, Johnson, Daniel, Fatchen are all much better bowlers and around the same age. I've probably missed three of four others as well a year or two either side of him.

B grade bowler at best? Just looking at his stats he took 22 second grade wickets in 2016 / 17 as an u /17... Would suggest that is indicative of someone with a bright future at 1st grade level. Injury impacted year to an extent Statistics aren't everything but for context someone like Fox who is performing well in first grade took 26 from approximately 35 or so more overs.

Uni aren't going to be taking someone like Grant, Johnson or Fatchen who are all locked in to their clubs. Unless they throw a heap of cash around or go the interstate they need to look at young talent who have performed well in 2nd grade and project to be good 1st grade players.

Just my two cents...enjoying your club by club write ups. Keep up the good work.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

by bunji » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:35 pm

eam #5 Adelaide University

Finished 9th, 5th, 1st & 2nd. Juniors N/A.

Need
The same thing they do every year, top end PLAYING talent. Nick Winter was a good get, but he's more than likely headed interstate now given he lead the Futures League wicket tally and isn't a lock to get another Redbacks gig. Losing Cooper probably didn't have much impact and Joe Mennie bowled only a handful of overs for the Blacks all season. Wes Agar had the mother of all blow ups the morning before the penultimate game of the season and left the state. Ben Wakim was a good pick up last season but won't offset the loss of Andy Delmont, he also has caused a bit of disharmony with they way he has captained the side from a few reports. Some people have also said that James Hilditch may also sit next season out, he was the Blacks last season so that would probably drop them 2 spots on the ladder straight away.

Have Spoken/Should Speak To
As a club that can only provide opportunity to young guys or interstate recruits you'd imagine they pick up another 18-21 year old from a club somewhere in Adelaide. I've already mentioned a number of guys in relation to other clubs, they are all guys I would consider if I was Uni. There's now talk that Jacob Dickman may be heading away from Prospect as well; so Uni may fit him for opportunity plus the Cam Borgas factor helps. From a player role standpoint I see Uni needing a good front line quick (like most sides in the bottom half of the table) and a big run scorer. the loss of Delmont will hurt them off field as well so the quality of people they bring in will play as important a role as the runs or wickets they bring.

Key Next Season
Recruiting. The no juniors factor plays a massive part in the way their club is structured. Lots of B/C/D Grade quality players at the club, which is reflected by their performances in lower grades. Fortunately for Uni this is fixed with a couple good performers in the A's. If they can bring in another one or two Grant Stewart/Ben Wakim types then they are on their way, but without additions I see them finishing in the same area of the table next season.

I'd be interested to know who you all would go after if you were University's recruiter. Would you chase a young guy in his teens like the have over the past couple years or an early 20's rising star? If you could name one player and perhaps a realistic reason why they would move and why you would pick them up.

Personally, I'd go after Alex Reardon. Some may disagree, and yes I understand he shelled a heap of catches last season, but Uni can realistically offer him a spot in the top 5 and give him the gloves and improve their side in the process. I think his potential with the bat is underrated and he seems like a pretty good kid. Will be one of those extremely annoying players to come up against in 5 years time.
backoftheroom

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 11 times

So , given you have identified that they go through this process each year and have no junior program why would this club continue in first grade cricket? Is anybody on this forum able to provide information to the South Australian cricket community that we have not been aware of previously that would allow us to understand the reasoning? I am aware that people who are from the old boys club continue to provide funds and support for the club, as well as advocating for them but is this a good reason to allow them to continue in first grade cricket. What are they doing for the development of South Australian cricket standards ? As I see it they do absolutely no work in developing 10/11 and 12 year old young people through to first grade so I ask the question, how is their participation in first grade cricket justifiable? What are they providing that would be helpful to improving grade cricket standards that we are not aware of?

In answer to your question about recruiting, I am sure that the old boys club will be able to identify a couple of poms from the right side of town, maybe a couple of lads from NSW or VIC in the past might have helped them , maybe a couple of Kensy lads or Sturt lads who went to the right school. Given they have constantly approached players from Adelaide cricket club you would need to ask the question, why don't they merge with them? Oops ... sorry about that boys .. just trying to get down to what might help grade cricket go forward in an objective way.

Most people have little interest in providing information that might be of help to them, the fact they are still sucking grade cricket dry is a major concern for SA Grade cricket.

The old boys club attitudes that prevail and enable them to continue to be a part of first grade cricket are the main reason why we struggle to dominate Australian cricket, when SA cricket gets beyond these attitudes we will have a much greater chance to be truly successful over the long term. The funding which they are continually sucking up by taking other clubs players and being a part of first grade cricket comp would be much better spent in other ways to improve grade cricket standards.

As you were .. everybody back to sleep!!
bunji
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time

by Tony Clifton » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Couple of things bunji

University would like to have juniors. They would like a zone to develop, their own teams, country area. The reason they don't is because the other grade clubs have said no. No one wants to give up part of their zone to get Uni started. Arguably Uni would have better resources and funding (and desire?) to develop a country zone and/or metro zone than some other grade clubs.

So the argument 'they don't even have juniors' doesn’t carry any weight.

Every Grade competition in Australia has a University team. It's not an anomaly only applying to South Australia.

In other states Grade clubs don't even field junior teams during the season alongside their senior teams. The junior cricket is played at schools and community clubs. The Grade clubs have underage rep teams that compete in the odd carnival during the season but no regular weekly junior cricket. They are senior clubs, similar in structure to University.

Lastly the power to kick out a Grade club or force a merger is shrouded in mystery and largely untested. Many doubted that the latest merger proposal could be pushed through under the SACA constitution. Is it the Board? Grade cricket committee? Could it be blocked at an AGM? You're talking years and years of legal wrangling, something I doubt would be in anyone's best interests.

The more I think about it, the more I hope SACA seek ways to improve cricket under the current structure rather than trying to force structural change.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

by bunji » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:11 am

'University would like to have juniors. They would like a zone to develop, their own teams, country area. The reason they don't is because the other grade clubs have said no. No one wants to give up part of their zone to get Uni started. Arguably Uni would have better resources and funding (and desire?) to develop a country zone and/or metro zone than some other grade clubs.

So the argument 'they don't even have juniors' doesn’t carry any weight.'

Thanks Tony Clifton, ' a name to respect, a name to fear'

I appreciate your positive intent here, that would require University to put a proposal to the GCC which has not been forthcoming. I have no understanding of why ' arguably Uni would have better resources and funding to .... ' - you would need to explain why as that makes no sense to me.

The difficulty we face here is that SACA need to develop an accreditation process that applies the same standards to all, as the structure currently exists this cannot happen, this is blatantly obvious when Adelaide University have no juniors.

So SACA will need to either restructure grade cricket entirely and take out the current junior structure or the accreditation process has a major issue as it is not able to be applied to Adelaide University.

If you can explain to us all why in the twenty first century we would still want to run one rule for Adelaide University and one rule for everybody else we are all ears however it may be that with a restructured junior program within SACA that a level playing field can be achieved.

Personally I would prefer that clubs are not forced to merge or amalgamate, however there does need to be a change of thinking about the way SACA are looking at it - you can't apply an accreditation process which they are currently doing unless all clubs are on a level playing field. Therefore it would seem that for Adelaide University to remain a part of first grade cricket then the junior competition as it exists has to cease.

At the present time unless Adelaide University continues to pillage other club's players they are unable to compete in first grade cricket.

[quote]
'Lastly the power to kick out a Grade club or force a merger is shrouded in mystery and largely untested. Many doubted that the latest merger proposal could be pushed through under the SACA constitution. Is it the Board? Grade cricket committee? Could it be blocked at an AGM? You're talking years and years of legal wrangling, something I doubt would be in anyone's best interests.'

After the last attempt by many people within the SACA board to get rid of 2 great clubs, I would seriously hope that the embarrassment they have been subjected to after trying to get rid of a great club like West Torrens who completely dominated the competition like no other club before with 90% home grown players, would be enough to prevent any repeat of this ridiculous process.

If many of the current SACA board are reelected I fear for the future of cricket in this state, whilst they have quality people on there such as Rod Phillips many of them have been shown to possibly be incompetent fools, from chatting with others in the cricket world it seems that if it wasn't for people of real quality such as Keith Bradshaw and Rod Phillips the whole thing would have turned into a much greater debacle than actually occurred, if that is possible.

I feel for those 2 clubs and their people , reading the minutes of the Parliamentary Select Committee you can only have enormous sympathy for West Torrens and Port Adelaide who were subjected to what possibly can only be described as an absolute sham of a process.

I hope that for the future of the Redbacks that our State can arrive at some decisions that enable all of the 13 clubs to continue in an environment where there is mutual respect and that SACA can be supported in developing a funding model that ensures we continue to develop talented young male and female cricketers in this state as is currently happening.

Thank you for your comments Tony, I think we are both wanting to achieve the same thing, how that occurs is the challenge for our State cricket administrators.
bunji
Mini-League

by heater31 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:19 am

Think you will find University have put a number of proposals forward over the years to have them all knocked back.

There already is a national Premier Cricket Club accreditation process that ranks all Premier Cricket Clubs across the nation. All SA clubs currently meet those standards.

SA Premier Cricket is a unique beast as it has a weekly junior competition for under 14 & 16. No other state has this.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

by Lineandlength » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:39 am

Personally, I'd go after Alex Reardon. Some may disagree, and yes I understand he shelled a heap of catches last season, but Uni can realistically offer him a spot in the top 5 and give him the gloves and improve their side in the process. I think his potential with the bat is underrated and he seems like a pretty good kid. Will be one of those extremely annoying players to come up against in 5 years time.
[/quote]

Adelaide may lose Alex for the 2017/18 season anyway if the 19s proposal gets up. It would appear the proposal is gaining momentum.
Lineandlength
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

by Tony Clifton » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:45 pm

bunji wrote:I appreciate your positive intent here, that would require University to put a proposal to the GCC which has not been forthcoming.

There have been several proposals put to the GCC over the years - all knocked back. Uni even said they would enter junior teams only made up of players not selected at grade club trials - this was knocked back by the GCC. Broken Hill was a country area no one wanted due to size/distance. Uni offered to develop it - knocked back by the GCC. They asked for a metro and country zone - knocked back.

I have no understanding of why ' arguably Uni would have better resources and funding to .... ' - you would need to explain why as that makes no sense to me.

The Uni sports association places AUCC in an envious position as far as funding goes. For instance they have just developed a multi million dollar sports facility down at West Beach. The facilities they could provide would far outstrip most grade clubs. Similarly the level of paid high level coaching they can provide is very good whereas with several grade clubs their junior teams are coached by volunteer dads of varying quality.

As far as desire - what I mean is that you might have a club like Sturt who are very well run and have an excellent junior program. Sturt has the biggest primary school competition in the state and lots of community clubs in their metro zone. Their juniors are always strong. This healthy metro zone means that they don't need to delve too deeply into their country zone (Mt Barker, Strathalbyn, Hahndorf etc). The competition up there is outstanding and teeming with junior players who would love to play grade cricket. If that area was aligned with Uni or a club with a weaker metro zone for instance then you would see a lot more players drawn from that area.

Also you have some grade clubs who have juniors but don't seem to place much stock in them. Volunteer dads coaching, forfeits at U16 White and/or U14 White level, playing at dinky little hard wicket grounds instead of shelling out for a turf ground etc. Some clubs are not investing a hell of a lot in their junior programs.

The difficulty we face here is that SACA need to develop an accreditation process that applies the same standards to all, as the structure currently exists this cannot happen, this is blatantly obvious when Adelaide University have no juniors.

So SACA will need to either restructure grade cricket entirely and take out the current junior structure or the accreditation process has a major issue as it is not able to be applied to Adelaide University.

If you can explain to us all why in the twenty first century we would still want to run one rule for Adelaide University and one rule for everybody else we are all ears however it may be that with a restructured junior program within SACA that a level playing field can be achieved.

The power is in the hands of the grade cricket committee here. If they pushed to have all clubs on an equal footing, all running junior teams, all running women's teams etc then it would happen. Give Uni a metro and country zone. Self interest governs however. No club wants Uni to have juniors. To them it's just another well-funded shark in the water competing for players. Plus they'd have to give up some of their zone to allow it.

The 'kick out Uni' argument is as old as the hills. Give them juniors. They'd do it well I'm sure and South Australian cricket would be better. Even without juniors they've had more players selected in State U/19 teams over recent years than several grade clubs.

But don't knock them back then complain that they don't have juniors.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

by The Hound » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:05 pm

The 'kick out Uni' argument is as old as the hills. Give them juniors. They'd do it well I'm sure and South Australian cricket would be better. Even without juniors they've had more players selected in State U/19 teams over recent years than several grade clubs.

Thanks to other clubs junior programs and interstate recruits :roll:

It seems like every proposal that goes up to the GCC, even the ones from Uni never get voted in :oops:, maybe we should merge the GCC :lol:
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

by Aerie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Perhaps University could fill junior sides via Aboriginal and ESL kids who otherwise seem to be lost to the game of cricket in this country? With appropriate funding and support from CA, SACA and the Adelaide Uni.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 508 times

by Tony Clifton » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Aerie wrote:Perhaps University could fill junior sides via Aboriginal and ESL kids who otherwise seem to be lost to the game of cricket in this country? With appropriate funding and support from CA, SACA and the Adelaide Uni.

Great idea. Perhaps not in the grade competition but perhaps in the Adelaide Turf or community associations. They already have taken on board Blind Cricket so are receptive to developing the game.

Would be fantastic (nb they are also not allowed to field teams in ATCA junior competitions under current rules however if the players were drawn from the groups you mentioned surely the other grade clubs would not have a problem with this)
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

by The Old Fellow » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:23 am

bunji wrote:
'University would like to have juniors. They would like a zone to develop, their own teams, country area. The reason they don't is because the other grade clubs have said no. No one wants to give up part of their zone to get Uni started. Arguably Uni would have better resources and funding (and desire?) to develop a country zone and/or metro zone than some other grade clubs.

So the argument 'they don't even have juniors' doesn’t carry any weight.'

Thanks Tony Clifton, ' a name to respect, a name to fear'

I appreciate your positive intent here, that would require University to put a proposal to the GCC which has not been forthcoming. I have no understanding of why ' arguably Uni would have better resources and funding to .... ' - you would need to explain why as that makes no sense to me.

Personally I would prefer that clubs are not forced to merge or amalgamate, however there does need to be a change of thinking about the way SACA are looking at it - you can't apply an accreditation process which they are currently doing unless all clubs are on a level playing field. Therefore it would seem that for Adelaide University to remain a part of first grade cricket then the junior competition as it exists has to cease.

At the present time unless Adelaide University continues to pillage other club's players they are unable to compete in first grade cricket.

'Lastly the power to kick out a Grade club or force a merger is shrouded in mystery and largely untested. Many doubted that the latest merger proposal could be pushed through under the SACA constitution. Is it the Board? Grade cricket committee? Could it be blocked at an AGM? You're talking years and years of legal wrangling, something I doubt would be in anyone's best interests.'

After the last attempt by many people within the SACA board to get rid of 2 great clubs, I would seriously hope that the embarrassment they have been subjected to after trying to get rid of a great club like West Torrens who completely dominated the competition like no other club before with 90% home grown players, would be enough to prevent any repeat of this ridiculous process.

If many of the current SACA board are reelected I fear for the future of cricket in this state, whilst they have quality people on there such as Rod Phillips many of them have been shown to possibly be incompetent fools, from chatting with others in the cricket world it seems that if it wasn't for people of real quality such as Keith Bradshaw and Rod Phillips the whole thing would have turned into a much greater debacle than actually occurred, if that is possible.

I feel for those 2 clubs and their people , reading the minutes of the Parliamentary Select Committee you can only have enormous sympathy for West Torrens and Port Adelaide who were subjected to what possibly can only be described as an absolute sham of a process.

I hope that for the future of the Redbacks that our State can arrive at some decisions that enable all of the 13 clubs to continue in an environment where there is mutual respect and that SACA can be supported in developing a funding model that ensures we continue to develop talented young male and female cricketers in this state as is currently happening.

Thank you for your comments Tony, I think we are both wanting to achieve the same thing, how that occurs is the challenge for our State cricket administrators.

Being the devil's advocate, the above suggestion still creates one rule for Adelaide University and one rule for everyone else.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

by backoftheroom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:10 am

Team #5 Woodville

Finished 8th, 13th, 13th, 12th. Juniors finished 4th, 3rd in the respective 16's comps, 11th and 3rd in the 14's.

Need
To replace ageing veterans. Carl Tiejtens (I think that's spelled right without checking) is rumored to be hanging up the boots but this seems to go around every year. Stuart Coles is definitely done though, life is starting to take precedent over cricket as with most guys around his age. They will probably look to pick up a batter or two but they desperately need help for Francesca and Andrews. Ben Turley (much to the disappointment of most of the forum) is a good bowler when up and going but his body is made of glass. If he plays 12 games next season they will win a couple more than they did this year, but with it happening so consistently you must wonder if his injuries are accidents, lack of fitness and discipline or poor management by Woodville/SACA/himself. Looking at where the lower grades finished they obviously need some talent and grit there as well. I'm not entirely clued in on their coaching structure but from the outside it looks like McNally is more of a 12th man and mate with everyone than a coach on game day, so I'd hate to see how neglected the lower grades are on a Tuesday and Thursday night. One of my mates at Broadview also said Josh Hoffman may be out for a decent period of time with a knee injury sustained playing footy, this is likely to affect his cricket, at least the first half of the season.

Have Spoken/Should Speak To
The Peckers have spoken to Jacob Dickman, he's currently flaunting it in the Territory as an 'in demand player' between Port and Woodville so where he goes is a mystery. There were rumours of Harry Nielson returning to WT to vacate the A Grade WK role for his brother but they now seem to have turned to Warren Peters going to WT instead (this was also mentioned earlier. Woodville should really be looking for another quick. WT and Port don't really have too much that's gettable so it may be a case of them relying on a DLCA player at this stage. With the 16's finishing quite high on the table there must be a fair few older kids there, so maybe one or two of them can make the move through the senior grades as the year progresses?

Key Next Season
Staying fit on field and off. Their A's were realistically out of contention in round 9, only to win a few games at the end of the season to save face. Turley being unable to play significantly dents them, as does the potential absence of Hoffman through injury. Off field they need to address the 'crappy culture' as one Woodville player put it. A club that is quite young but also quite short on skill in the lower grades doesn't need the attitude problem they have. Like all grade clubs it just needs good people in those grades to stop the rot, but that is getting harder and harder to do with guys not being able to keep up to the demands of Grade Cricket. Again, being unaware of their coaching structure makes it hard to highlight areas of improvement, but a lower grade coach and some other form of specialist skill coaching is probably required to improve the lower grades as McNally clearly would rather be a mate than a coach by the looks of it. Harsh but the few players I've spoken to agree.
backoftheroom

Been liked: 20 times

by Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Turley had stress fractures in his foot. He and a few other fast bowlers with similar injuries are blaming New Balance footwear and have gone back to Asics. No idea if there's any basis to their claims but thought it was interesting.

Personally I rate McNally as a coach. Just lacks a bit of depth at Woodville - he's ended up playing quite a bit of B's and C's the last few years just because they were thin on numbers and talent.

Important that they fast-track that group of U/16's. Especially the country kids - can't afford to let them drift back home to play A Grade for their country club. What happened to Jake Birchmore? Seemed to disappear.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

by The Angry Bull » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Turley had stress fractures in his foot. He and a few other fast bowlers with similar injuries are blaming New Balance footwear and have gone back to Asics. No idea if there's any basis to their claims but thought it was interesting.

Personally I rate McNally as a coach. Just lacks a bit of depth at Woodville - he's ended up playing quite a bit of B's and C's the last few years just because they were thin on numbers and talent.

Important that they fast-track that group of U/16's. Especially the country kids - can't afford to let them drift back home to play A Grade for their country club. What happened to Jake Birchmore? Seemed to disappear.

Being an old bull like myself, i didn't see any of Jake in grade cricket however was fortunate to play against him in the country carnival this year. He bowled a miserly line and length at reasonable pace and gave the ball a fair whack. I would have thought a bloke with those capabilities would be getting a decent look in if naggets is looking to rebuild
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

by Port Pirie Power » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Northern Districts announcing new coach next week I've heard, will be interesting as to who they appoint. I've heard Joe Gatting may be making a return as a player/coach. He would be a huge bonus as a player for the jets. Unsure how his coaching would go.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

by tigerfan11 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 pm

Good chat about club coaches, but knowing 9/13 are looking for better options, 8 may have missed the boat on best available ... Sturt right in the hunt for best coach in the market... watch this space...
tigerfan11
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Broadview

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps