Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby Brodlach » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 am

That talk about Eddy is clutching at straws Dutchy.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby valleys07 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:03 am

Dutchy wrote:But could have picked up Brett Eddy a year earlier and saved $650k a year

And a 2016 forward line consisting of Brett Eddy and an injured Jay Schulz would have seen us end up where?

I agree with you on the fact that long term deals are becoming more of a frequent occurrence, and some B grade players are the beneficiaries of said deals. Are Port orphans here, or is it going to become industry trend?

Facts are that we could not have convinced Dixon to cross to us without dangling a carrot. Current form is suggesting we overpaid, and it might very well end up being the case, but it is a trade that Port Adelaide absolutely had to make.

It is worth noting that our issues up forward are as much coaching related & list management, as performance.

Hinkley went hard for Ryder at the end of 2014 to support Schulz, with the opinion of the general football public strongly believing Port were destined for at least a Grand Final appearance in 2015. Lobbe in the space of 6 months forgot how to play football, leaving Ken with no option but to play Ryder in the ruck and our forward line back to a Schulz lead structure, so when Dixon indicated he was interested in a move to us, we absolutely had to go for it to give Ken a crack at a 2-3 tall forward line

2016 was over before it began courtesy of ASADA, and when Lobbe, Carlisle and Schulz were done before round 6, we were down to 1 key forward, 1 key back and no recognised ruckman. But- instead of Hinkley playing the likes of Butcher to at least give Dixon support, he persisted with Dixon as the lone target, a structure he has gone on record multiple times saying he didn't want, and consequently had gone through two trade periods trying to fix.

Point is, for the first time since 2014 (touch wood), we might just get to see Port play to the structure Ken has wanted us to line up with since that Preliminary Final. Time will tell if Dixon and Eddy can work in sync, and Charlie can find himself in more 1 on 1 contests. What I want to see as a Port fan, and no doubt the coaching staff want to see it too, is our midfielders having the time and space to assess the most lopsided match up in our favour when entering our 50, rather than heading to Dixon literally 1 in every 3 entries.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 am

Re - long term deals, no, Port are no orphans here and long term deals ( I'd consider a long term deal more than 3 years ) is becoming the norm.

Player managers are brokering longer term deals better than ever before.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:00 pm

PORT ADELAIDE’S Aboriginal players have unveiled the uniform they will wear in the 2017 AFL Sir Douglas Nicholls Indigenous Round against Geelong and Round 11 against Hawthorn.

The guernsey, designed by Nathan Krakouer, who is a a member of the Minang language group of Western Australia, again tells a story about the journey of the Power’s Aboriginal players.

It will be worn in two games - the AFL's official indigenous round and the Power's cultural recognition match the following week.

Guernsey tells player journeys

The front of the guernsey features a boomerang motif, the uppermost featuring the Aboriginal flag, while the lower features ‘1967’ in recognition of the 50-year anniversary of the referendum to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as Australian citizens.

The nine hands on the body of the guernsey represent Krakouer, Chad Wingard, Karl Amon, Jarman Impey, Paddy Ryder, Jake Neade, Brendon Ah Chee, Sam Powell-Pepper and Aidyn Johnson.

The animal tracks represent the cultural totems of the players.

Krakouer said he wanted to design the guernsey to recognise the significant referendum anniversary and also tell the story of his fellow Aboriginal players at the club.

“I placed the year 1967 on the front of the guernsey, which is the year Australia had a referendum where 90% of the country voted for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to be included in the Australian population,” Krakouer said.

“I placed boomerangs in the guerney, shorts and socks to represent our people hunting, fighting and protecting each other like we do at Port Adelaide.

“And the hand prints are in recognition of the traditional art Aboriginal people have made for thousands of years.

“They would put a mixture of ochre, water and animal fat into their mouths and blow it across their hands onto a surface. Unfortunately much of this tradition has been lost of the years and may not exist into the future, so I wanted to recognise this on our jumper.

Throwback look for Academy

The Aboriginal AFL Academy will wear a new look in 2017 as well, with Port's talented player squad adopting a retro 'Power' look.

Retaining the black, red and yellow of the Aboriginal flag, the Power's 1997 'away' jumper design has been used as inspiration for the team this year.

Red and gold lightning flashes cross the left side of the body, with a black base and white number panel on the back.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:23 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:But could have picked up Brett Eddy a year earlier and saved $650k a year

And a 2016 forward line consisting of Brett Eddy and an injured Jay Schulz would have seen us end up where?

I agree with you on the fact that long term deals are becoming more of a frequent occurrence, and some B grade players are the beneficiaries of said deals. Are Port orphans here, or is it going to become industry trend?

Facts are that we could not have convinced Dixon to cross to us without dangling a carrot. Current form is suggesting we overpaid, and it might very well end up being the case, but it is a trade that Port Adelaide absolutely had to make.

It is worth noting that our issues up forward are as much coaching related & list management, as performance.

Hinkley went hard for Ryder at the end of 2014 to support Schulz, with the opinion of the general football public strongly believing Port were destined for at least a Grand Final appearance in 2015. Lobbe in the space of 6 months forgot how to play football, leaving Ken with no option but to play Ryder in the ruck and our forward line back to a Schulz lead structure, so when Dixon indicated he was interested in a move to us, we absolutely had to go for it to give Ken a crack at a 2-3 tall forward line

2016 was over before it began courtesy of ASADA, and when Lobbe, Carlisle and Schulz were done before round 6, we were down to 1 key forward, 1 key back and no recognised ruckman. But- instead of Hinkley playing the likes of Butcher to at least give Dixon support, he persisted with Dixon as the lone target, a structure he has gone on record multiple times saying he didn't want, and consequently had gone through two trade periods trying to fix.

Point is, for the first time since 2014 (touch wood), we might just get to see Port play to the structure Ken has wanted us to line up with since that Preliminary Final. Time will tell if Dixon and Eddy can work in sync, and Charlie can find himself in more 1 on 1 contests. What I want to see as a Port fan, and no doubt the coaching staff want to see it too, is our midfielders having the time and space to assess the most lopsided match up in our favour when entering our 50, rather than heading to Dixon literally 1 in every 3 entries.

Good post, understand why they did it, but a massive risk IMO, which could end up holding you back for another period. How much of the cap would him and Ryder be taking? Thats going to put the squeeze on the other key players on the list, especially with few retirements on the horizon.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3565 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Brodlach wrote:That talk about Eddy is clutching at straws Dutchy.

It was an option and he had been spoken about for a few years now, now he has been promoted to the senior list and will follow his progress with interest. If he kicks more goals than Dixon this year the heat will really be on.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Good post, understand why they did it, but a massive risk IMO, which could end up holding you back for another period. How much of the cap would him and Ryder be taking? Thats going to put the squeeze on the other key players on the list, especially with few retirements on the horizon.

Butcher, Schulz and Carlile would have been middle-to upper middle wage bracket.Stewart and O'Shea middle-to lower.Mitchell and Colquhoun base.

I would have estimated the first three 250k+, the next two 150k+ and the last two base. On those numbers that was a bit over $1.1-1.3 we dropped off the cap last year. No trades in 2016 so only base wage / rookies on board.

So if we freed up $1.1-1.3 and brought in 6 base / rookies under / on $100k, that would be anywhere from $500k-$800k ( or more ) that we're "up" depending on how much Butch, Schulz and Carlile were getting. I'll add Monfries to the list, his 1 year deal would be nothing compared to his first deal with us.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:That talk about Eddy is clutching at straws Dutchy.

It was an option and he had been spoken about for a few years now, now he has been promoted to the senior list and will follow his progress with interest. If he kicks more goals than Dixon this year the heat will really be on.

That would almost be bitter sweet for Port. On one hand a punt with little risk pays off, but on the other hand a big risk that cost heaps got done over by a punted no risk. Sort of hard to take even if it works out well.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:50 pm

That $500k will get swept up pretty quickly with upgrades on your top end....SPP will need an extension almost immediately and there goes $250k
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Butcher, Schulz and Carlile would have been middle-to upper middle wage bracket.Stewart and O'Shea middle-to lower.Mitchell and Colquhoun base.

I would have estimated the first three 250k+, the next two 150k+ and the last two base. On those numbers that was a bit over $1.1-1.3 we dropped off the cap last year. No trades in 2016 so only base wage / rookies on board.

So if we freed up $1.1-1.3 and brought in 6 base / rookies under / on $100k, that would be anywhere from $500k-$800k ( or more ) that we're "up" depending on how much Butch, Schulz and Carlile were getting. I'll add Monfries to the list, his 1 year deal would be nothing compared to his first deal with us.

Contract extensions to Young, Neade and White wasn't there?
Doubt they took a cut, if anything probably a raise that would eat in to that $500k
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:27 am

Thank Christ the season is starting, hopefully it distracts Rucci from his ongoing cause of promoting Koch v Hinkley which wasnt even an event almost two months ago when they said what they said. Yet another non article in the paper today.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3918 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:25 am

Wedgie wrote:Thank Christ the season is starting, hopefully it distracts Rucci from his ongoing cause of promoting Koch v Hinkley which wasnt even an event almost two months ago when they said what they said. Yet another non article in the paper today.

I wonder if even he reads his own shit.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:29 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Thank Christ the season is starting, hopefully it distracts Rucci from his ongoing cause of promoting Koch v Hinkley which wasnt even an event almost two months ago when they said what they said. Yet another non article in the paper today.

He can write write about Ken and Barbie all year for all i care.

Stops him from writing crap querying the SANFL distribution from AO and other issues that he knows are factually inaccurate but are purely written to get a bite from those who still buy or subscribe to the Advertiser!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Not even he's that stupid! ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2528 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:44 am

Had my first look at Powell-Pepper last night. Wow, super impressive at his age. Power supporters must be very excited.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby stan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:07 am

Wedgie wrote:Had my first look at Powell-Pepper last night. Wow, super impressive at his age. Power supporters must be very excited.

He did look good, the power have a ripper young player there. Being a good WA lad of course.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:51 am

I thought this thread would be lit up today after last night amazing performance.

Looking forward to reading a Boony/Scotty review of how it all unfolded in their eyes.

No point getting carried away with one win but if they are able to replicate that effort, intensity and efficiency they are capable of beating anybody. Beating the Swans midfield who rock and rolled us 8 goals to Zip from memory last year at the SCG just goes to show you the importance of a committed team effort and working on all the one percenters.

Agree with the Sam Powell-Pepper sentiment. The lad is a beast. One of the most exciting prospects to come along in years and tough as nails. He is sure to have peaks and troughs as a rookie but he looks the goods and certainly is a huge plus and exciting to watch. 8)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Booney » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:27 pm

It all really did start in the middle. Ryder showed how important he's going to be this year. I'd think most people rate Wines,Ebert,R.Gray,Boak,SPP as a pretty solid midfield, this year they might just get the type of service they've been looking for.

Will post a review when not on my phone.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:30 pm

Agree about Ryder, I forgot how important a player he can be. If Port have a decent run with injuries theyll be right up there IMHO.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:32 pm

Wedgie wrote:Had my first look at Powell-Pepper last night. Wow, super impressive at his age. Power supporters must be very excited.

Very much so indeed. Looks like he's just ready to play at AFL level. Wines did that when he came in, hopefully SPP can be just as good.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL