West Coast Eagles 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: West Coast Eagles 2016

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:57 pm

stan wrote:
helicopterking wrote:
bennymacca wrote:GWS would be asking a LOT for lobb. And so they should.

Doesn't bother us, Freo's problem.

Freo will then be asking alot for Ballentyne to pay for Lobb and co. So it will become our problem because we won't want to give much away for him.

Your second round pick which will be in the 30-35 mark would be plenty for Ballantyne
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby helicopterking » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:10 am

Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:
helicopterking wrote:
bennymacca wrote:GWS would be asking a LOT for lobb. And so they should.

Doesn't bother us, Freo's problem.

Freo will then be asking alot for Ballentyne to pay for Lobb and co. So it will become our problem because we won't want to give much away for him.

Your second round pick which will be in the 30-35 mark would be plenty for Ballantyne

If we don't get him,bad luck. He will be 30 next season. Has a maximum of 2 years left.
We need mids.
Can't play Hill,Lecras and Ballantyne in same team.
We need 2 top first round picks. 1 to use, 1 to trade.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby helicopterking » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Now that The anger has subsided slightly
Season Wrap
Not a whole lot of positives
Josh Kennedy winning the Coleman Medal again.
Luke Shuey going from A Grade mid to A+ Gun.
The emergence of Tom Barrass.

Take note Adam Simpson.
We were forced to play Tom Barrass due to injuries last season when he wasn't ready physically, and this year the form of some other players at the start of the season saw him given the opportunity again and we reaped the rewards. This is what happens when you give kids( draft picks) a reasonable crack at it. What is the point of our draft picks we have sitting around in the WAFL, playing pretty consistent footy and not give them a crack in the big league. All this does is get them into bad habits and it doesn't allow them to experience what they need to improve on to succeed at AFL level. Its disheartening when they can't get a crack after playing some good reserves footy.
We continue to give fringe players numerous chances, when we know what they can do and where the ceiling is with them. And believe me we have a truck load of Fringe. To me, Fringe players are blokes who are not A Grade talent. They are blokes who never play great, Average to good is the best they can ever do,with a large amount of games that are Average to Poor.
Wellingham,Masten,Cripps,Hill,Butler,Hutchings,Sheed,Darling, Giles,Lycett, Brown,Schofield, Lecras,Yeo,Butler,Maginnity, Bennell, Redden, Jetta,Ellis,Duggan. Too me, these guys are not consistent enough to be rated anything else. I know they get games week in week out, but how many chances is too many. Let's put it into comparison. WC had 3 guys under 23, Bulldogs had 9. This a real concern for the future.
I can put up with a young kid coming in trying to find his feet, make a few mistakes, not get huge numbers, but show signs of improvement as the season goes on.
What I can't put up with, is players like Josh Hill, with 150+ games experience, continually stink it up, play shockingly poor games and continue to get selected. He isn't alone, but by far the worst offender.

Plain and simple we do not have enough top end talent. Kennedy,Priddis, Shuey,Gaff,Sheppard,Hurn,McGovern,Nic Nat and Barrass will be. These blokes are good- great every week, the gap between their best and worse is marginal. Maximum effort each and every week.
This is due to nothing but poor recruiting. Gave away first round picks for fringe talent.
We need to go to the draft. We need to do what we can to get the highest pick possible. Don't not trade for anyone over the age of 22. We need Mids, but are now left in tough position with Nic Nat going down, which is almost the worst thing that could have happened.
What trade potential do we have to snare a first rounder? Not much, 2nd rounders at best, unless we make the tough call on someone like Darling, but that won't happen.
The game plan, why unique can be out done, a simple shepparding the man on the mark destroyed the whole system, the 2nd year running.
If Simpson sticks with his plan and playing roster, I expect nothing but mid range mediocrity short term and for the next 10-20 years looking down the Richmond barrel.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Did they play their finals a couple of weeks early? Dominant against the Hawks and Crows
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby helicopterking » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:50 pm

Brodlach wrote:Did they play their finals a couple of weeks early? Dominant against the Hawks and Crows

Yeah Possibly.I think we got the jump on both of these sides which they may not have expected and WB did some serious homework on us and were ready for it.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:17 pm

Cant really fault your analysis, though I reckon Lycett has had a great year
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby helicopterking » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:54 pm

bennymacca wrote:Cant really fault your analysis, though I reckon Lycett has had a great year

Yeah, I'm maybe a little harsh on Lycett, his knee really put him back a few notches since the bye. He's one I'd expect to go to the top end talent section next year as he's still got a heap of improvement in him.
But like many of our list, his best and worst games are too far apart and when you have a poor year as a team, you have to be harsh.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Apparently he has been carrying a PCL issue since the bye and needs surgery now.

I reckon his form at the start of the year was great.

Sometimes it's hard to tell who is playing sore, because the clubs keep it pretty quiet, and it probably affects our judgement of players
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby hollywood7477 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:28 pm

helicopterking wrote:Now that The anger has subsided slightly
Season Wrap

Take note Adam Simpson.
We were forced to play Tom Barrass due to injuries last season when he wasn't ready physically, and this year the form of some other players at the start of the season saw him given the opportunity again and we reaped the rewards. This is what happens when you give kids( draft picks) a reasonable crack at it. What is the point of our draft picks we have sitting around in the WAFL, playing pretty consistent footy and not give them a crack in the big league. All this does is get them into bad habits and it doesn't allow them to experience what they need to improve on to succeed at AFL level. Its disheartening when they can't get a crack after playing some good reserves footy.
We continue to give fringe players numerous chances, when we know what they can do and where the ceiling is with them. And believe me we have a truck load of Fringe. To me, Fringe players are blokes who are not A Grade talent. They are blokes who never play great, Average to good is the best they can ever do,with a large amount of games that are Average to Poor.
Wellingham,Masten,Cripps,Hill,Butler,Hutchings,Sheed,Darling, Giles,Lycett, Brown,Schofield, Lecras,Yeo,Butler,Maginnity, Bennell, Redden, Jetta,Ellis,Duggan. Too me, these guys are not consistent enough to be rated anything else. I know they get games week in week out, but how many chances is too many. Let's put it into comparison. WC had 3 guys under 23, Bulldogs had 9. This a real concern for the future.
I can put up with a young kid coming in trying to find his feet, make a few mistakes, not get huge numbers, but show signs of improvement as the season goes on.
What I can't put up with, is players like Josh Hill, with 150+ games experience, continually stink it up, play shockingly poor games and continue to get selected. He isn't alone, but by far the worst offender.

Plain and simple we do not have enough top end talent. Kennedy,Priddis, Shuey,Gaff,Sheppard,Hurn,McGovern,Nic Nat and Barrass will be. These blokes are good- great every week, the gap between their best and worse is marginal. Maximum effort each and every week.
This is due to nothing but poor recruiting. Gave away first round picks for fringe talent.
We need to go to the draft. We need to do what we can to get the highest pick possible. Don't not trade for anyone over the age of 22. We need Mids, but are now left in tough position with Nic Nat going down, which is almost the worst thing that could have happened.
What trade potential do we have to snare a first rounder? Not much, 2nd rounders at best, unless we make the tough call on someone like Darling, but that won't happen.
The game plan, why unique can be out done, a simple shepparding the man on the mark destroyed the whole system, the 2nd year running.
If Simpson sticks with his plan and playing roster, I expect nothing but mid range mediocrity short term and for the next 10-20 years looking down the Richmond barrel.

Bit harsh on Duggan Sheed and Schoey

Sheed was injured most of the year and he was the catalyst when he came back into the side to help the likes of Pridda and Boots. Plus he is in his 3rd year I think of AFL footy. Duggan is a kid playing his 2nd year of AFL. Not every kid that comes into the system is going to be as good as the Bont and Juddy.

Darling kicked 40 odd goals this year. Has had a couple of poor finals but he will learn from it. And Butler is the oldest on the list who has battled with his body his whole career. I thought his year has been pretty solid.

Schofield was pretty good last year with all the injuries and I reckon he has been serviceable this year. The bloke isn't a star but he does his job
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Just out of curiosity how do you think Darling would go in a thunderstorm???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby JK » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Good write-up HK. As an outside observer, I think you've touched on some excellent points - Play your list more, because as it stands today I think it needs to bat a little deeper, and needs a lift in talent.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby helicopterking » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:46 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
helicopterking wrote:Now that The anger has subsided slightly
Season Wrap

Take note Adam Simpson.

Bit harsh on Duggan Sheed and Schoey

Sheed was injured most of the year and he was the catalyst when he came back into the side to help the likes of Pridda and Boots. Plus he is in his 3rd year I think of AFL footy. Duggan is a kid playing his 2nd year of AFL. Not every kid that comes into the system is going to be as good as the Bont and Juddy.

Darling kicked 40 odd goals this year. Has had a couple of poor finals but he will learn from it. And Butler is the oldest on the list who has battled with his body his whole career. I thought his year has been pretty solid.

Schofield was pretty good last year with all the injuries and I reckon he has been serviceable this year. The bloke isn't a star but he does his job

Schofield was pretty good all season, but he is our 3rd tall. He was more defensive this season, and played some consistent footy,my point is, if he wasn't there, not sure it would effect us all that much.
Sheeds injury was unfortunate, but next season is huge for him. Still plays poor matches, but his good is very good and I expect the distance between his best and worst to reduce. My issue is pace with him, but will be a good replacement when Priddis pulls stumps.
Duggan needs to play, it annoys me he has seemed to be the easy option for Simpson to omit. He's got great skills, but he needs to get bigger and stronger. But getting omitted can't do much for the kids confidence. I'd rather him play and develop then someone like Josh Hill.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby carey » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:55 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Just out of curiosity how do you think Darling would go in a thunderstorm???

He'd be like my dog, Hiding under a tree.....
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Brodlach » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:57 pm

carey wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Just out of curiosity how do you think Darling would go in a thunderstorm???

He'd be like my dog, Hiding under a tree.....

I thought it would be more like Carey after KFC and 28 red tins
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Lycett's PCL may be worse than first thought.

He's off to a Melbourne surgeon to see if a reconstruction is required.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby stan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Booney wrote:Lycett's PCL may be worse than first thought.

He's off to a Melbourne surgeon to see if a reconstruction is required.

Looks like standard PCL reco now. 8 - 12 weeks. Most likely ready for round one with a limted preseason. Giles as backup or probably to carry the early load.

Still think no to Petrie but we should look at a young ruck for the rookie list at the very least.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:51 am

Can't believe this could happen to him

BREAKING NEWS

Channel 9 in Perth has reported form AFL star Ben Cousins has been arrested by Police.

Nine News in Perth has reported that Cousins has been charged with breaching a violence restraining order and drug possession.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby helicopterking » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:27 pm

Jail isnt the worst place for him I reckon.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:37 pm

helicopterking wrote:Jail isnt the worst place for him I reckon.

Nothing else has worked for him....... maybe jail time is what he needs to help himself!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2528 times

Postby hollywood7477 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Ben Cousins reportedly arrested in Perth

Kate Campbell, Perth Now, Herald Sun

23 minutes ago

UPDATE: EX-AFL star Ben Cousins has been bailed from a Perth court on drugs and restraining order breaches after it heard he couldn’t raise a bail surety.

The former West Coast captain, who has battled drug addiction for more than a decade, was arrested in Canning Vale, in Perth’s southeast on Monday.

A bearded Cousins, now 38, looked dishevelled but appeared otherwise composed when he fronted Armadale Magistrates Court.

He appeared in court dressed in a green hooded windcheater and blue tracksuit pants.

Cousins’ lawyer Damien Cripps told the court his client was “actually in a very good place at the moment” but would be unable to secure a surety for bail.

Magistrate Sandra De Maio said it appeared Cousins was going through a tough time and there seemed to be drug issues.

Cousins told the court he was confused whether he had to stay away from the person protected by the VRO or her address.

The magistrate agreed to release Cousins on bail without a surety, but imposed a series of conditions.

The fallen footballer was granted bail to reappear on November 22 but he must stay at the address provided to the court and keep at least 50 metres away from the protected person and her house and have no contact with her unless by SMS to organise spending time with and communicating about his two children, aged five and three.

When asked if there was a parenting plan in place, Cousins told the court it “hasn’t got that far yet”.

He said he had spend a lot of time waiting in the front yard and in the street to see his kids.

Cousins, from Bicton, has been charged with possession of methamphetamine and two charges of breaching a violence restraining order.

The 2005 Brownlow Medallist and 2006 West Coast Eagles premiership player was refused bail and held in the Perth Lock-up overnight.

It is alleged the breach of restraining order charges relate to a recent incident.

The troubled star made headlines as recently as July when he was found directing traffic on a busy Perth highway, near Canning Bridge, in a disoriented state and was taken to hospital.

Last year, he was assessed at a mental health facility after breaking into Perth’s Special Air Service Regiment.

Cousins was a star of West Coast’s 2006 premiership-winning team, but his career and life descended into a downward spiral due to his problems with substance abuse.

A gun midfielder in his prime, Cousins captained the Eagles and was a six-time All Australian. He was named the AFL Rising Star in 1996 and won the Brownlow in 2005, when the Eagles were pipped by Sydney Swans in a cliffhanger final.

But things went south after the Perth club’s grand final win a decade ago. He was suspended by the club in early 2007 and spent time in an American rehab facility, then in October that year he was arrested for drug possession and banned from playing in the AFL for 12 months.

Richmond offered the fallen star a lifeline when they selected him in the pre-season draft late in 2008. He played 32 games for the Tigers, the last of which was in 2010.

No other club wanted to recruit Cousins once his ban was lifted, but Richmond felt obliged to give him the chance to get his life back on track.

West Coast Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett said earlier this year he was still upset the club wasn’t able to help Cousins turn his life around, and feared for his safety every day.

“I guess the disappointing thing is we weren’t able to salvage Ben out of the wreck,” Nisbett told Channel Nine’s The Footy Show.

“I worry (about Cousins) every day. We would like him to be healthy and well and getting on with his life like a 36- or 37-year-old should be doing.

“But we are not sure what space he is in at the moment.”

Eagles CEO Trevor Nisbett: “I worry about Ben every day.’’ Picture: Stewart Allen
Around the time of Cousins’ incident in July, his coach at Richmond, Terry Wallace, revealed the strange first meeting he had with the erratic star before deciding to sign him.

He described how Cousins went missing for more than half an hour after saying he was taking a bathroom break.

“Five minutes pass, 10 minutes pass, 20 minutes pass, 25, 30 minutes pass and he hadn’t come out of the loo. I was sitting there wondering what the heck was going on,” Wallace said at the time.

“Clearly what it said to me was that this was a young man that was in a very bad way.”
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 73 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL