The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby valleys07 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:27 pm

Booney wrote:Nobody cares about the integrity of the NEAFL. it only kicked off in 2011 so who in NSW/QLD gives a shit about that?

With Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS ( all AFL run ) in there why would the AFL change that?

The biggest cost impost, the Victorian based sides have the VFL working for them. Why send up to 6 or 8 sides flying out of Victoria each week?

So, put that into perspective and it's the two WA and two SA based clubs who are the most likely to want an AFL reserves. 4 out of 18 clubs. It isn't going to happen.

Would you get 6-8 Victorian sides flying out of Victoria each week if an AFL reserves fixture was aligned to that of the AFL?

Bring back the curtain raiser.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:31 pm

If there was a genuine reserves AFL it would be tge reserves sides always follow the league side

I'm sure you could get Foxtel to help fund it as they would love showing some reserves games to lead into AFL games
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5595 times
Been liked: 2533 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Unlikely to get that many on one weekend.

I'd love to see the ressies playing before the league. Always used to watch the glenelg ressies before the league.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11861 times
Been liked: 3605 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:40 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Unlikely to get that many on one weekend.

I'd love to see the ressies playing before the league. Always used to watch the glenelg ressies before the league.

I wouldn't think all games we should but there could a Friday afternoon game on fox and maybe a Saturday and Sunday morning game they could show in the morning as well
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5595 times
Been liked: 2533 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:56 pm

No it's all or nothing

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11861 times
Been liked: 3605 times

Postby wild dog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:14 pm

dogbreath wrote:
wild dog wrote:
RB wrote:
wild dog wrote:Have a look at the commission http://www.sanfl.com.au/sanfl/sa_football_commission/ and you will see a bunch of fat drunk pigs with their snouts in the trough

EFA

:lol: Could be an element of that. Still, can something be done about it?

Sadly our once great league will go the same way as the last mob crooked Johnny was involved with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I-CNEQBJhk

OK so that's a Motorola link. I get your point and understand you think the guy in charge is not trustworthy. Im certainly not defending anyone, I just wonder are there people out there that are interested in actually trying to do something? How many would it take?
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby wild dog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:39 pm

MW wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
MatteeG wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The crows have said they don't want to fork out $500k to play in a AFL reserves comp

But they shell out 400k to play in the SANFL each year?

Yep, that's the stupidity of it all

Well it's simple really.
AFL do not want an AFL reserves side so the fact Adelaide would need to fork out $500k for it is mute as it is not their decision.
SANFL agreed to have Adelaide in the SANFL at $400k and Adelaide accepted.

Or we have to read what the actual agreement is. Ive done a quick google search for the agreement, and found Wikipedia Adelaide SANFL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Football_Club_(SANFL) and Adelaide Football Clubs web site http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-08-15/sanfl-agreement-details-

Regards the point you are making, the statement from the Adelaide Football Clubs site says

COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE
Commitment & Licence Fee
•15 year term, reviewed annually by the SANFL
•12 month notice period for SANFL & SANFL Clubs to terminate agreement
•AFC to pay an annual licence fee – 50% on December 1st and 50% on June 1st to the SANFL for their involvement in the SANFL League Competition
•In 2014, this fee is to be $400K ($50K per SANFL Club), with CPI increases for the 2015 and 2016 seasons
•Licence fee to be reviewed at the end of the 2016 season, with CPI increases a minimum for subsequent seasons

which would mean the last point is relevant. We do have the ability at the end of this season to substantially increase the fee. This must be revisited and I suggest that all on here contact their respective clubs and demand they at least get proper compensation from the Adelaide Football Club to replace lost revenues since the introduction of the reserves teams.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby matt35 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:08 pm

I would be happy to see the fee renegotiated; is it not $150k per club in the WAFL? Something close to or on that mark is probably where it should be.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby JohnnyG » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:28 pm

wild dog wrote:Or we have to read what the actual agreement is. Ive done a quick google search for the agreement, and found Wikipedia Adelaide SANFL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Football_Club_(SANFL) and Adelaide Football Clubs web site http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-08-15/sanfl-agreement-details-

Regards the point you are making, the statement from the Adelaide Football Clubs site says

COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE
Commitment & Licence Fee
•AFC to pay an annual licence fee – 50% on December 1st and 50% on June 1st to the SANFL for their involvement in the SANFL League Competition
•In 2014, this fee is to be $400K ($50K per SANFL Club), with CPI increases for the 2015 and 2016 seasons
•Licence fee to be reviewed at the end of the 2016 season, with CPI increases a minimum for subsequent seasons

which would mean the last point is relevant. We do have the ability at the end of this season to substantially increase the fee. This must be revisited and I suggest that all on here contact their respective clubs and demand they at least get proper compensation from the Adelaide Football Club to replace lost revenues since the introduction of the reserves teams.

Now what about the fees paid (lol) by that other freeloading AFL club?
- and not only do they have AFL reserves team, they also have an academy side in the SANFL reserves making it a farcical 9 teams there.
JohnnyG
Rookie

Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby wild dog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:41 pm

matt35 wrote:I would be happy to see the fee renegotiated; is it not $150k per club in the WAFL? Something close to or on that mark is probably where it should be.

Yes I have read that stated elsewhere. Personally I think a proper case for compensation needs to be calculated. This case must include the loss of the SANFL as a brand with regards to its previous reputation as an alternative to the AFL. Interstate players thought it, and it would not take much to interview past players to establish the loss of reputation. Massive compensation would be due for the depletion of a brand, so its not just reduction in crowd numbers and subsequent drop in revenue.

The SANFL believe they are an administrator of football in the state, ranging from juniors, community, country, SANFL and then somehow the AFL. How this SANFL - AFL interrelationship is defined is a difficult question. The current paradigm is we are here to cooperate and not compete. I think if an organisation to challenge the current situation was created, its this part that needs addressing.

The time is here now, for supporters of the league to make a stand. What type of numbers would it take to present to the commission. What type of structure would an organisation which promotes this change need to take. How much money would need to be raised. Is there enough interest to make it happen? Are you in for the long haul, or do you just want to stop attending games to make your message?
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby therisingblues » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:50 pm

wild dog wrote:Or we have to read what the actual agreement is. Ive done a quick google search for the agreement, and found Wikipedia Adelaide SANFL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Football_Club_(SANFL) and Adelaide Football Clubs web site http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-08-15/sanfl-agreement-details-

COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE
Commitment & Licence Fee

Bloody good work there Wild Dog
A couple of myths dispelled there. One was that it is a ten year agreement. The information you have supplied here says that it is a 15 year agreement. Ouch!
But...
The 12 month notice period, now does that dovetail with the 15 year term? So before the end of fourteen years we would have to notify them if we have decided not to renew the agreement?
I am not so sure because it actually is worded "terminate the agreement", which would suggest that we have some power to terminate the agreement at any time, provided that we give 12 months notice? Some clarification of that would be helpful. If it proves that we do just need give 12 months notice if the clubs agree to terminate the agreement, that would surely be a focus for a much needed campaign to have them ousted from the league.
Worth investigating further.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times

Postby wild dog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:09 pm

JohnnyG wrote:

COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE
Commitment & Licence Fee

Now what about the fees paid (lol) by that other freeloading AFL club?
- and not only do they have AFL reserves team, they also have an academy side in the SANFL reserves making it a farcical 9 teams there.

I hear you Johnny G, but in my opinion the weakness here is the Adelaide agreement. If I were to be part of an organisation (and I want to be) to actively challenge the current situation in a concerted, organised and passionate way, I would be going after Adelaide. They have failed to fulfil their promised crowd increase, a massive part of their sell. Its a huge fail, it cant just be glossed over with a sheepish grin and a "shell be alright." The Adelaide Football Club have failed in creating a resurgent league, based on their premise that the league was failing. That premise has proven to be wrong. The numbers back us up, we now have a couple of years of crowd numbers, we have an Adelaide dominating in the finals, and we have no crowds.

Too all of you defenders of the AFL reserves, explain why the Adelaide Crowds have not turned up to the finals at their home ground. I would love to hear your explanations.

BTW Johnny, Port also have a real weakness with their argument and mantra, but I think we need to keep some of our powder dry.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby wild dog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:19 pm

therisingblues wrote:[A couple of myths dispelled there. One was that it is a ten year agreement. The information you have supplied here says that it is a 15 year agreement. Ouch!
But...
The 12 month notice period, now does that dovetail with the 15 year term? So before the end of fourteen years we would have to notify them if we have decided not to renew the agreement?
I am not so sure because it actually is worded "terminate the agreement", which would suggest that we have some power to terminate the agreement at any time, provided that we give 12 months notice? Some clarification of that would be helpful. If it proves that we do just need give 12 months notice if the clubs agree to terminate the agreement, that would surely be a focus for a much needed campaign to have them ousted from the league.

Im not sure theri and remember this is just a summary on the AFC website. Who knows how accurate it is. I would like to get hold of the full agreement. I would also like to have someone out there with some contractual experience and a legal background to also study it. Personally I have contractual experience, but its not from a legal background. Obviously lawyers get involved, and often a good synergy results.

I like the wording "terminate the agreement" though. It does suggest power, we just need to have 3 more clubs to obtain that power if we assume South and Centrals are aligned. Regarding 12 months then so be it, would be a nice time period to organise a good send off.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby Pseudo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:29 pm

wild dog wrote:Regards the point you are making, the statement from the Adelaide Football Clubs site says

COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE
Commitment & Licence Fee

I was led to believe that the terms of the Clowns presence was to be reviewed annually, purportedly so that fine-tuning could occur. Chiggy mentioned this at the GFC information night.

I have heard that since then the clubs have made suggestions for change to the SANFL - and have been broadly told to **** off. "A deal is a deal" , apparently.

I very much suspect that a review of the license fee will be handled in a similar fashion.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1562 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:02 am

wild dog wrote:
therisingblues wrote:[A couple of myths dispelled there. One was that it is a ten year agreement. The information you have supplied here says that it is a 15 year agreement. Ouch!
But...

Im not sure theri and remember this is just a summary on the AFC website. Who knows how accurate it is. I would like to get hold of the full agreement. I would also like to have someone out there with some contractual experience and a legal background to also study it. Personally I have contractual experience, but its not from a legal background. Obviously lawyers get involved, and often a good synergy results.

I like the wording "terminate the agreement" though. It does suggest power, we just need to have 3 more clubs to obtain that power if we assume South and Centrals are aligned. Regarding 12 months then so be it, would be a nice time period to organise a good send off.

Surely our clubs would have a copy of the agreement? I totally agree, we need access to the full agreement in black and white. It might be spelled out so that even a layman such as myself could understand it, and hence be even easier for someone with experience reading contracts, like yourself. Or we might need the legals to interpret it, can't say until it is presented in its naked glory.
If the clubs are beginning to realise this lose/lose situation for what it really is, then a way out of this nightmare might just exist. Ultimately the push has to be from them. If supporters realise that a legitimate means of having them dumped from the competition in 12 months time actually, genuinely exists, then we need a campaign to get the clubs to act.
Permanent damage is just a couple of years away IMO. Something needs to happen soon.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:10 am

Pseudo wrote:
wild dog wrote:Regards the point you are making, the statement from the Adelaide Football Clubs site says

COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE
Commitment & Licence Fee

I was led to believe that the terms of the Clowns presence was to be reviewed annually, purportedly so that fine-tuning could occur. Chiggy mentioned this at the GFC information night.

I have heard that since then the clubs have made suggestions for change to the SANFL - and have been broadly told to **** off. "A deal is a deal" , apparently.

I very much suspect that a review of the license fee will be handled in a similar fashion.
Are they holding some sort of metaphorical gun to the club's heads? What is it they have over us to make the clubs go from a unanimous "NO" vote to a minimum required "YES" vote and then putting up with all this god damn arrogant crap? Surely if their proposal was so tenuous, with so many clauses written into the agreement, the clubs had grounds for specifying them.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:18 am

wild dog wrote:
MW wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
MatteeG wrote:
But they shell out 400k to play in the SANFL each year?

Yep, that's the stupidity of it all

Well it's simple really.
AFL do not want an AFL reserves side so the fact Adelaide would need to fork out $500k for it is mute as it is not their decision.
SANFL agreed to have Adelaide in the SANFL at $400k and Adelaide accepted.

Or we have to read what the actual agreement is. Ive done a quick google search for the agreement, and found Wikipedia Adelaide SANFL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Football_Club_(SANFL) and Adelaide Football Clubs web site http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-08-15/sanfl-agreement-details-

COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE
Commitment & Licence Fee

Is the CPI the same as the RPI in the UK which is the Retail Price Index. If it is then any increases would be index linked and can only be increased in line with inflation.
Another poor decision by the SANFL. Effectively, they agreed to be tied to inflation rate increases before they had any evidence of the affect the AFL Reserves teams would have on the SANFL League clubs.

Surely any junior negotiator would want to link any Fee increases to the performance of the other promises made by Adelaide. Example, Adelaide said they would increase the gates by 4,000. Even using a basic calculation of 4,000 total attendance, any number less than this increases the fee by the twice the Percentage. Simple really, average attendance per SANFL, say 2,000 (1/2) then the fee doubles to $100k per club.

It would have motivated Adelaide to at least promote the SANFL and try to get numbers to the ground, knowing that if they didn't it would cost them cold, hard cash.
As it is, there is no monetary motivation for Adelaide to do anything in favour of the SANFL. It's no wonder they don't give a shit about anything SANFL with the cushy deal they got.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:17 am

wild dog wrote:The time is here now, for supporters of the league to make a stand. What type of numbers would it take to present to the commission. What type of structure would an organisation which promotes this change need to take. How much money would need to be raised. Is there enough interest to make it happen? Are you in for the long haul, or do you just want to stop attending games to make your message?

Happy to lend assistance to this worthy cause, wild dog.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:24 am

therisingblues wrote:Surely our clubs would have a copy of the agreement? I totally agree, we need access to the full agreement in black and white. It might be spelled out so that even a layman such as myself could understand it, and hence be even easier for someone with experience reading contracts, like yourself. Or we might need the legals to interpret it, can't say until it is presented in its naked glory.
If the clubs are beginning to realise this lose/lose situation for what it really is, then a way out of this nightmare might just exist. Ultimately the push has to be from them. If supporters realise that a legitimate means of having them dumped from the competition in 12 months time actually, genuinely exists, then we need a campaign to get the clubs to act.
Permanent damage is just a couple of years away IMO. Something needs to happen soon.

Certainly an analysis of the agreement is good place to start, and I would've thought the clubs would have a copy somewhere. I'm sure that the 'yes' clubs would be reluctant to hand it over, lest their overlords crack the shits. Maybe the Bulldogs might accede to a well-worded request?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:27 am

JTC
It actually says "to be reviewed at the end of 2016 season".
The CPI applies"in subsequent seasons", and then as a "minimum".
I don't think we are painted into a corner as yet.
therisingblues
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL