Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:30 am

Sure. Great to know.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Corona Man » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:50 am

Corona Man wrote:2017 Thailand trip... Outbound flights booked today on QFF points.

Decided to tack on a few days in Hong Kong at the end.

Anyone got some good oil here... where to go, what to see & do.... other than shopping. Happy Valley races works for me... Mrs C not so keen :(
Last edited by Corona Man on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:09 am

I don't know what about what to do and see.
But...I've been told the city itself is incredibly easy to access by train - so you may not necessarily need to book transport upon arrival. My brother-in-law has regular stop overs there, for linking flights, and always manages to fit in a meal/beer with a good mate of his who lives in Hong Kong.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Corona Man » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I don't know what about what to do and see.
But...I've been told the city itself is incredibly easy to access by train - so you may not necessarily need to book transport upon arrival. My brother-in-law has regular stop overs there, for linking flights, and always manages to fit in a meal/beer with a good mate of his who lives in Hong Kong.

Cheers DW. Transport in Bangkok on the skyrail is dead easy as well. Only way to travel in the Big Mango.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:14 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Corona Man wrote:2017 Thailand trip... Outbound flights booked today on QFF points.

Anyone got some good oil here... where to go, what to see & do.... other than shopping. Happy Valley races works for me... Mrs C not so keen :(

Regular visitors to HK and couldn't recommend it more highly. Very easy to walk around the tourist parts and public transport is brilliant. Trains, buses etc are clean, cheap and efficient.
Definately take the Star Ferry across the harbour for a whole 30 cents, gives you wondeful views and would recommend a ride up to the peak which weather permitting has awesome views.
If you have kids look at HK Disneyland or Ocean Park. Giant Buddha at Ngong Ping is worth a visit just for the cablecar ride alone. Plenty of other sights in HK to see also. Just make sure you grab a Octopus card on arrival, can use it on transport, vending machines and shops and is the way to go
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3563 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Corona Man » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Regular visitors to HK and couldn't recommend it more highly. Very easy to walk around the tourist parts and public transport is brilliant. Trains, buses etc are clean, cheap and efficient.
Definately take the Star Ferry across the harbour for a whole 30 cents, gives you wondeful views and would recommend a ride up to the peak which weather permitting has awesome views.
If you have kids look at HK Disneyland or Ocean Park. Giant Buddha at Ngong Ping is worth a visit just for the cablecar ride alone. Plenty of other sights in HK to see also. Just make sure you grab a Octopus card on arrival, can use it on transport, vending machines and shops and is the way to go

Cheers Jim - great intel...
Corona Man
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:45 am

Heading over to Thailand next Friday for 2 weeks. Land in Koh Samui on the 18th and on the 20th looking at doing a day snorkelling tour to Koh Tao and Koh Nang Yuan. Anyone done it before. Mate of mine did it and he raved about it.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:06 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Heading over to Thailand next Friday for 2 weeks. Land in Koh Samui on the 18th and on the 20th looking at doing a day snorkelling tour to Koh Tao and Koh Nang Yuan. Anyone done it before. Mate of mine did it and he raved about it.

Fell into the swimming pool once, and called for a Chang... About as I close as I've gotten to snorkelling. Sorry.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Did a heap around Phi Phi and it was amazing, less coral than Great Barrier Reef but more fish. Will ask a mate I'm catching up with tonight as he's been to Kho Samui
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Wedgie wrote:Did a heap around Phi Phi and it was amazing, less coral than Great Barrier Reef but more fish. Will ask a mate I'm catching up with tonight as he's been to Kho Samui

Just spoke to a mate, he said he didn't see anything near Kho Samui, he actually flew to Phi Phi for his fix. I only really know of places in the Andaman not the Gulf of Thailand so will be interested in your report.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Tiger2212 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:24 am

Heading to Kho Samui for a wedding in two weeks can't wait.
Tiger2212
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:59 am

Leave on Monday for 2 weeks in Bali and Lombok
Jim05
Coach

Postby Tiger2212 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Lombok is awesome Jim, did a surfing trip there 2 years ago.
Tiger2212
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:41 pm

Tiger2212 wrote:Lombok is awesome Jim, did a surfing trip there 2 years ago.

Where did you stay, Sengiggi or Kuta?
Have organised the hire of a Jimny for 6 days to drive around the island. Will do a few day trips including the Gili's and weather permitting maybe Rinca or Sumbaya
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jase » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:49 pm

My folks just back from a river cruise down the Mekong.... went to both Vietnam and Cambodia... for a couple of elderly English folks they were surprisingly brave with the food they ate, crickets, tarantulas etc... I was incredibly surprised...

Though dad has come down the Dengue Fever and is really pretty crook...

They loved the river cruise and the beauty of both Vietnam and Cambodia but were shocked with the conditions that most live in... Mum said you see it on TV but you just don't realise the scale of poverty until you are actually there...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1492 times
Been liked: 563 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:41 pm

Just got back this morning through Singapore. Big 2 weeks but glad to be back. Went to 3 locations;

Pattaya-

If you're a single bloke then this place is dangerous! I can see why it is called the Sin City of the World. Funnily enough I have never, ever seen more Chinese tourists in my life and the streets are continually filled with the best buses I have ever seen- all full of Chinese tourists. Before you go here make sure you have your vaccinations up to date as the City is filthy. Funnily enough the people were not too bad as long as you have some common sense.
If you're going here for a good time then take your time picking them out as it's ladyboy central. Not many blokes under 30. Easily the cheapest place I went in Thailand.

Bangkok-

**** I loved this place. Surprisingly pretty clean through the main tourist parts. The Shopping here is mind boggling and if you shop in the Thai markets MBK and Platinum the prices for some of the quality you get is unmatched compared to anywhere else in the world I have visited. I know retail and clothing like the back of my hand, what you get in platinum for $10 would easily cost you $70+ in Australia if you threw a label on it. The energy, food and nightlife this city has is awesome and easily the best part of my trip personally. Liked the temples and grand palace.

Koh Samui-

It was nice but I was a little disappointed, mainly in some of the people tbh. Locals collectively are a lot more aggressive when it comes to money when compared to my other experiences in other locations in Thailand. It reminded me of Seminyak or Double Six Beach except I reckon Bali does it better. I did do the Samui Football Golf and that is great value and fun. The quality of the course took me by complete shock as it was pretty impressive.
The consistent, loud advertising during the day, the consistent smell of the open drains and as I said some of the people let it down a little imo. It's nice still and I'd encourage others to go, but I prefer parts of Bali myself.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:51 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Just got back this morning through Singapore. Big 2 weeks but glad to be back. Went to 3 locations;

Pattaya-

If you're a single bloke then this place is dangerous! I can see why it is called the Sin City of the World. Funnily enough I have never, ever seen more Chinese tourists in my life and the streets are continually filled with the best buses I have ever seen- all full of Chinese tourists. Before you go here make sure you have your vaccinations up to date as the City is filthy. Funnily enough the people were not too bad as long as you have some common sense.
If you're going here for a good time then take your time picking them out as it's ladyboy central. Not many blokes under 30. Easily the cheapest place I went in Thailand.

Bangkok-

**** I loved this place. Surprisingly pretty clean through the main tourist parts. The Shopping here is mind boggling and if you shop in the Thai markets MBK and Platinum the prices for some of the quality you get is unmatched compared to anywhere else in the world I have visited. I know retail and clothing like the back of my hand, what you get in platinum for $10 would easily cost you $70+ in Australia if you threw a label on it. The energy, food and nightlife this city has is awesome and easily the best part of my trip personally. Liked the temples and grand palace.

Koh Samui-

It was nice but I was a little disappointed, mainly in some of the people tbh. Locals collectively are a lot more aggressive when it comes to money when compared to my other experiences in other locations in Thailand. It reminded me of Seminyak or Double Six Beach except I reckon Bali does it better. I did do the Samui Football Golf and that is great value and fun. The quality of the course took me by complete shock as it was pretty impressive.
The consistent, loud advertising during the day, the consistent smell of the open drains and as I said some of the people let it down a little imo. It's nice still and I'd encourage others to go, but I prefer parts of Bali myself.

Good summary - I've been to all 3. Pattaya is SOMETHING ELSE. Of all 3 locations the smell of open drains here was the worst. In terms of Golf - Pattaya is number 1. The other stuff, while it is constantly "there" you can likely find that anywhere in the world. In Pattaya, its right there in your face.

Bangkok - Agree the shopping is out of this world. MBK - reckon I filled a suitcase with clothes. That was 3 years ago now. Barely been clothes shopping since. The big mango, is just another big city. Certainly has a vibe about it though.

Koh Samui - Sad to hear you where a little disappointed. We like Koh Samui more than Phuket. Yes some of the local, and indeed non locals are a bit more in your face. But I wouldn't let that put you off. We found Koh Samui a little more easy going than Phuket. Each to their own though. I will give the Footy Golf a crack next year.... do I get to roll around on the ground like a big sook?
Corona Man
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:00 pm

It's good fun and bloody tricky. You're right about the non locals.

Pattaya still blows my mind and is bloody cheap. I wanted to play golf but just didn't get around to it.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:01 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:It's good fun and bloody tricky. You're right about the non locals.

[b]Pattaya still blows my mind and is bloody cheap. I wanted to play golf but just didn't get around to it.

Pattaya blows many things!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:05 pm

https://luxuryescapes.com/anantara-si-k ... spa-179693

8 nights, 7 days, $999 per person, includes all food AND piss from 11am to 11pm daily. ( Food all day )

Unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available throughout your stay from 11:00am to 11:00pm - enjoy drinks by the pool or at the Leelawadee restaurant or Beach House including vodka, gin, rum, Thai whiskey and tequila, as well as local beer and cocktails including caipiroskas, long island iced teas, margaritas, tequila sunrise and many more
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel