R21 - Port v Norwood @ Alberton

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R21 - Port v Norwood @ Alberton

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:18 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Was this game even on?

It was, Port kicked 7 goals to nothing in the first quarter against an insipid Norwood lineup who looked, in the main, as disinterested as the smattering of Norwood fans did. The last quarter Port shut up shop and the 'Legs came home with a wet sail to add some respectability to the scoreboard, Port really took the foot off the pedal.

Mitchell, Summerton and Butcher all very good for Port, pretty much no 'Legs players worth mentioning and surely Warren must be under some heat? The first half yesterday they were a rabble and barely looked interested.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10777 times

Postby Hazydog » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:32 am

Booney wrote: The last quarter Port shut up shop and the 'Legs came home with a wet sail to add some respectability to the scoreboard, Port really took the foot off the pedal.

So with Finals qualification still possible, and percentage potentially being the difference, Port took the foot off the pedal?

Makes sense I guess that with the A's not playing finals it was advantageous from a preseason perspective for the B's to miss out as well. They must be disappointed Norwood didn't actually win in the end!
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:38 am

Hazydog wrote:
Booney wrote: The last quarter Port shut up shop and the 'Legs came home with a wet sail to add some respectability to the scoreboard, Port really took the foot off the pedal.

So with Finals qualification still possible, and percentage potentially being the difference, Port took the foot off the pedal?

Makes sense I guess that with the A's not playing finals it was advantageous from a preseason perspective for the B's to miss out as well. They must be disappointed Norwood didn't actually win in the end!

So you think Westies will beat you next week then? Finals qualification was not still possible as West Adelaide are simply shit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:43 am

Booney, you've been around long enough to know that you assume nothing, and control the controllables. Don't tell me a Magpie side of the 90's would have taken that approach?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:54 am

Hazydog wrote:Booney, you've been around long enough to know that you assume nothing, and control the controllables. Don't tell me a Magpie side of the 90's would have taken that approach?

Norwood lifted after half time, especially during the last quarter and my "foot off the pedal" comment was probably wrong, the 'Legs turned up for about 40 minutes, the last 40 minutes of the match.

It's not the 90's.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:13 pm

Booney wrote:
Hazydog wrote:Booney, you've been around long enough to know that you assume nothing, and control the controllables. Don't tell me a Magpie side of the 90's would have taken that approach?

Norwood lifted after half time, especially during the last quarter and my "foot off the pedal" comment was probably wrong, the 'Legs turned up for about 40 minutes, the last 40 minutes of the match.

It's not the 90's.

GOT HIM!
Well done Hazy Dog, I was just watching the hypocrisy being unveiled and wondering which way was Booney going to go. I didn't think he'd actually own up to Port giving up on a potential finals spot, but I did love the old "Come to think of it, Norwood DID get better..." :lol:
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:36 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:

It's not the 90's.

GOT HIM!
Well done Hazy Dog, I was just watching the hypocrisy being unveiled and wondering which way was Booney going to go. I didn't think he'd actually own up to Port giving up on a potential finals spot, but I did love the old "Come to think of it, Norwood DID get better..." :lol:

**** off. Hypocrisy, Port won the match at no point could that be considered giving up a potential finals spot. Clearly you're listening to those scribes talking about percentage before matches have even started in recent weeks. Port did what they had to do, won the game. Norwood did what it had to, show something after a terrible first hour and a bit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:45 pm

I'd love it if West got up in a narrow victory next week, and the Magpies missed out by percentage.
But who cares, right? It's just your reserves side. It doesn't really matter. Bottom line, say no more.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:53 pm

therisingblues wrote:I'd love it if West got up in a narrow victory next week, and the Magpies missed out by percentage.
But who cares, right? It's just your reserves side. It doesn't really matter. Bottom line, say no more.

If you miss the finals by percentage then you don't deserve to be there, simple.

Who cares? Lots of people, I bet there's more comments about Port on these boards than many of the other clubs.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Mitchell, Summerton and Butcher all very good for Port, pretty much no 'Legs players worth mentioning and surely Warren must be under some heat? The first half yesterday they were a rabble and barely looked interested.

If Sturt shut up shop against what I thought was such a poor opponent when percentage was a factor in a finals place, id be mad, and my posts would reflect that. Yours is actually flippant though.
You get it now?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:12 pm

therisingblues wrote:

If Sturt shut up shop against what I thought was such a poor opponent when percentage was a factor in a finals place, id be mad, and my posts would reflect that. Yours is actually flippant though.
You get it now?

Oh dear, I'll put some more emotion into my next one for you. Pretty sure I clarified my foot off the pedal comment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Yes, I liked that bit.
I thought I mentioned that. :lol:
therisingblues
Coach

Postby matt35 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Oh Booney; when are you going to get that arguing against the tin foil hat brigade is impossible? In their bizzarro fantasy land, Port deliberately slowed up to ensure they did not gain too much percentage yesterday. No evidence, no mention of players being taken off, played out of position or anything like that, but hey, they're AFL affiliated, so it must have been part of an agenda! It's actually the first time Port have beaten Norwood in two years, but because they didn't win by enough, something sinister is up apparently.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby stan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:15 pm

matt35 wrote:Oh Booney; when are you going to get that arguing against the tin foil hat brigade is impossible? In their bizzarro fantasy land, Port deliberately slowed up to ensure they did not gain too much percentage yesterday. No evidence, no mention of players being taken off, played out of position or anything like that, but hey, they're AFL affiliated, so it must have been part of an agenda! It's actually the first time Port have beaten Norwood in two years, but because they didn't win by enough, something sinister is up apparently.

I would say it would have to be pretty sinister as we are **** shithouse this season.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Magellan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:23 pm

matt35 wrote:Oh Booney; when are you going to get that arguing against the tin foil hat brigade is impossible? In their bizzarro fantasy land, Port deliberately slowed up to ensure they did not gain too much percentage yesterday. No evidence, no mention of players being taken off, played out of position or anything like that, but hey, they're AFL affiliated, so it must have been part of an agenda! It's actually the first time Port have beaten Norwood in two years, but because they didn't win by enough, something sinister is up apparently.

Forbearance is the watchword, matt35. Those 'tin foil hatters' might still have a point on the Crows reserves' dinkumness when your SANFL team (I'm presuming it's not the Bays this year) takes to the field in the finals when the club has an A-grade side eyeing off home finals and a possible grand final berth. The jury, at least as far as the Crows is concerned, is still out.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby matt35 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:13 pm

Ah; but see it's the same with the Crows as it is with Port. If the Crows win it'll be because they're too strong, proffessionals dominating the comp (even though this will be their first final) etc etc etc. If they don't it'll be because they're not "dinkum". Just as when Port win it's because they're an AFL side dominating etc etc etc, but now even when they beat a side they've failed to beat for two years, including in round 1 of this year, the problem apparently is that they weren't "dinkum" because they didn't win by enough. The facts are that Port have not played consistent enough Football to make the five this year.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:07 pm

It looks as though you're gong for a"one size fits all policy" there Matt, whereas I just thought that this particular instance of Booney trashing Norwood's effort and insinuating that Port took the foot off the pedal, then reversing that opinion when called out on the obvious implications, was v funny. Mainly because it was Booney and i wouldn't think he'd usually make so elementary an error.
Yes I'm well aware you're of the view that the reserves try hard and blahdee blah blah blah.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:50 am

Amazing to think that not even two years ago Norwood were able to beat a Port side, probably 10 goals better than this one, in consecutive finals matches
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:47 am

matt35 wrote:Ah; but see it's the same with the Crows as it is with Port. If the Crows win it'll be because they're too strong, proffessionals dominating the comp (even though this will be their first final) etc etc etc. If they don't it'll be because they're not "dinkum". Just as when Port win it's because they're an AFL side dominating etc etc etc, but now even when they beat a side they've failed to beat for two years, including in round 1 of this year, the problem apparently is that they weren't "dinkum" because they didn't win by enough. The facts are that Port have not played consistent enough Football to make the five this year.

If the Crows play to win their final(s) and do so, then so be it. But if they lose because they clearly haven't selected their best available side or rest fit fringe players mid-match with an eye on their availability for subsequent AFL finals, then you can't say they've not been 'dinkum', and it demonstrates a lack of respect for their opposition and the institution that is finals football, particularly given the 'play to the line' promise trotted once out by the Crows 'brains trust'.

Nothing to do with tin foil hats or bizzarro worlds, because the evidence will have clearly spoken for itself. Like I said, wait and see because no-one knows how the Crows will treat the SANFL finals vis-a-vis their A-grade side.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:54 am

JK wrote:Amazing to think that not even two years ago Norwood were able to beat a Port side, probably 10 goals better than this one, in consecutive finals matches

The turn of poo has been quick for us.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL