The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 23, 2016 2:11 pm

Girl from North Adelaide FC rang me up today asking why I hadnt renewed my membership for the first time in over 30 years.
I said it was because I've become disenchanted with the competition because of the AFL clubs presence in the comp, she gave me the impression that was the issue with others she was contacting too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby tipper » Mon May 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Wedgie wrote:Girl from North Adelaide FC rang me up today asking why I hadnt renewed my membership for the first time in over 30 years.
I said it was because I've become disenchanted with the competition because of the AFL clubs presence in the comp, she gave me the impression that was the issue with others she was contacting too.

ill eagerly await my phone call from when i didnt renew in 2014 then... or last year... or this... wait

at least if that is the common theme maybe, just maybe, the club might start to actually take the issue seriously. small hope they will do anything about it though, but them might start putting out some more sympathetic messages on the virtual runner when the afl reserves sides are brought up :(
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Corona Man » Mon May 23, 2016 3:07 pm

Wedgie wrote:Girl from North Adelaide FC rang me up today asking why I hadnt renewed my membership for the first time in over 30 years.

I was a member albeit many years ago now. Sadly was not able to get to Prospect yesterday. I would like to renew my membership, particularly as my time with junior sport commitments has passed. I am also the best part of an hour from Prospect... and it's just too far home after a few tins at the game. We just don't do that stuff (drive with a few beers down) anymore... and neither should we.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Pseudo » Mon May 23, 2016 10:12 pm

A bit of historical revisionism from our friends at the Clowns:

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-08-05/c ... nfl-crowds

"Adelaide’s financial submission to join the SANFL was based on average crowds of 2000."

The same article trumpets the fact that at that point in the 2014 season the Clowns had attracted an average 3595 punters to its games; more than any other team. Almost twice what was promised in the submission! What a resounding success!

I wonder how the scribes would account for the fact that at this point in the 2016 season the Clowns average crowd is more than 1000 less than the above figure, particularly now that their "state league team" is perched at the pointy end of the ladder. Not to mention that 5 of the 8 sovereign clubs have outdrawn the Clowns in the first 8 rounds of this season.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Magellan » Mon May 23, 2016 11:26 pm

It's not like the Crows to fudge numbers. Was the article ghost-written by Steven Trigg?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue May 24, 2016 10:35 am

I haven't renewed my Sturt membership this year either, normally a season member, and got a call from the club a few weeks ago. I told them I'm disillusioned with the comp and where it's heading, every year there's something more that undermines its integrity and that every proposed change I've been told about (from people at Sturt), has amounted to nothing and that tells me that the clubs want changes but they're being suppressed or overruled. I also said that if no one in power, in the media or in a position to argue for change and stand up for the integrity of the comp chooses to remain silent then why should I spend my hard earned?
This doesn't sit well with me and it nags at my conscience, I've given the reserves teams a fair go and hate going to those games, I've remained a member through that time all the while hoping for some sort of correction but nothing. Mates have stopped their membership once the reserves teams came in as a protest, now I can't see what else I can do to show my concern and displeasure.
The bloke on the phone expressed similar thoughts and that nothing will change.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue May 24, 2016 11:03 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:

I haven't renewed my Sturt membership this year either, normally a season member, and got a call from the club a few weeks ago. I told them I'm disillusioned with the comp and where it's heading, every year there's something more that undermines its integrity and that every proposed change I've been told about (from people at Sturt), has amounted to nothing and that tells me that the clubs want changes but they're being suppressed or overruled. I also said that if no one in power, in the media or in a position to argue for change and stand up for the integrity of the comp chooses to remain silent then why should I spend my hard earned?
This doesn't sit well with me and it nags at my conscience, I've given the reserves teams a fair go and hate going to those games, I've remained a member through that time all the while hoping for some sort of correction but nothing. Mates have stopped their membership once the reserves teams came in as a protest, now I can't see what else I can do to show my concern and displeasure.

Someone from the GFC called me about membership renewal back in the pre-season. I said that I wouldn't be taking out membership. He didn't ask why. I began to tell him anyway. He was very keen to get off the phone at this point. I dare say that the care factor = 0 at Glenelg.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Corona Man » Tue May 24, 2016 11:10 am

I guess the sad thing here is OUR traditional SANFL clubs are the losers, with long time supporters not renewing memberships, for the reasons listed. I am not having a go at anyone here either, I understand your point of view, and the stand you have taken.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue May 24, 2016 11:22 am

Muppetangelo would write this up as "diehard SANFL supporters deserting their clubs when they need them most" yet he'll report Power supporters not going to games at Footy Park when they were $hit as "a stoic protest by the Port faithful".
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby stan » Tue May 24, 2016 12:04 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:Muppetangelo would write this up as "diehard SANFL supporters deserting their clubs when they need them most" yet he'll report Power supporters not going to games at Footy Park when they were $hit as "a stoic protest by the Port faithful".

Oddly enough there shit again.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 24, 2016 9:34 pm

I've often wondered what tarps would look like at Adelaide Oval.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby mickey » Tue May 24, 2016 11:21 pm

mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Wed May 25, 2016 11:03 am

mickey wrote:Image

Half time?!
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby gossipgirl » Wed May 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Agreed wholeheartedly
It is time for Crows and Port to let go of the state league reserves trial
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11854 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby zipzap » Thu May 26, 2016 8:50 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:

Feel the same but bought a 3 game membership out of guilt / loyalty and because the sheer amount of disruptive byes and AFL practice games (byes) makes buying a season membership non-viable. Mates I go with have either done the same or have dropped membership altogether.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Psyber » Thu May 26, 2016 11:52 am

It must be getting to me too.
Six weeks in Europe and I didn't even bother to check the teams or the scores on those few occasions when I had wifi access.
(Mostly staying outside the big cities.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby VALE PARK » Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 pm

You probably only missed a couple games given so many byes!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times

Postby stan » Thu May 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Psyber wrote:It must be getting to me too.
Six weeks in Europe and I didn't even bother to check the teams or the scores on those few occasions when I had wifi access.
(Mostly staying outside the big cities.)

Put down the electronic device my friend and go enjoy the lovely European weather. Have a few beers for us poor souls...
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Seems the clubs aren't too interested either, waiting until May before they follow up on long time members....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL