Favourite Norwood Player

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Favourite Norwood Player

Postby dedja » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Shouldn't you be Wynne Macca then?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Macca Wynne » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:14 pm

dedja wrote:Shouldn't you be Wynne Macca then?

Toss of the coin.
Macca Wynne

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:49 am

After Garry steered out club to its 4th premiership in ten years yesterday it's safe to say the great man is not only favourite Norwood player he has now surpassed my favourite player of all time Craig Bradley.

G Mac. What an inspiration!!!
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Rising Power » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Easily McIntosh. I was brave enough to run on to Alberton Oval after Norwood had just lost by a couple goals and get his autograph...decked out in Port gear of course. He went from looking very pissed off to a bit puzzled when I said "great game Macca", then he signed my book, said "there ya go mate" and quickly back to looking pissed off again. This was a few years after he took us juniors for training at Heccies one night, had a lot of banter, it was great.

Love watching the vids of him in the SoO matches and chasing little irish fellas around in the IR series during the 80s!
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Dog_ger2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:59 pm

Used to like watching Craig Balme...

@fullback.
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby Magellan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Dog_ger2 wrote:Used to like watching Craig Balme...

@fullback.

Can recall Balme's kick in from fullback/accidental 10 metre 'pass' to Rick Davies late in the Round 1 match at Footy Park in 1985.

Despite Davies popping it back over Balme's head for a goal the Norwood bench p1ssed themselves laughing, as did the commentary team. Great moment in footy.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:43 pm

Magellan wrote:
Dog_ger2 wrote:Used to like watching Craig Balme...

@fullback.

Can recall Balme's kick in from fullback/accidental 10 metre 'pass' to Rick Davies late in the Round 1 match at Footy Park in 1985.

Despite Davies popping it back over Balme's head for a goal the Norwood bench p1ssed themselves laughing, as did the commentary team. Great moment in footy.

Reckon we were about 10 goals up and it was late in the piece. Think Craig was the only one that didn't see the funny side of it lol coz he looked pretty filthy
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:32 pm

Here's the footage - what's even better is Peter Marker is giving Balme a wrap right when he kicks it to Davies. The other funny thing is that Davies sort of freezes for split second whilst he (and everyone else) fathoms what just happened.

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:29 pm

Haha I remember the big Jumbo freezing for a sec, as if to say "what, how" lol
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Whatever happened to Mark Ducker? Always thought he had a stack of potential. I recall him breaking into the strong Norwood sides of the mid to late eighties as a smallish but reliable half-forward/forward pocket. I think he kicked a bag of over 10 goals in a match in 1991, IIRC. Always seemed a bit injury prone with hamstring troubles, which perhaps cut his career prematurely short?
Magellan
Coach

Postby GWW » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Ducker was very talented, I think from memory he was injury prone.

I think he got drafted to Melbourne FC in late 80s, but I dont think he moved over.

Would be interesting to know his record (games played/goals scored) in late 80s, when the Redlegs probably had a list capable of making at least 1 Grand Final.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:04 pm

Iirc broke his leg pretty badly around 92 but must have recovered coz think he played in the 93 GF.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby spell_check » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:59 pm

GWW wrote:Ducker was very talented, I think from memory he was injury prone.

I think he got drafted to Melbourne FC in late 80s, but I dont think he moved over.

Would be interesting to know his record (games played/goals scored) in late 80s, when the Redlegs probably had a list capable of making at least 1 Grand Final.

1986: 3 games 6 goals 0 behinds
1987: 18 games 54.31
1988: 13 games 39.16
1989: 19 games 46.25
1990: 9 games 4.2
1991: 10 games 44.19
1992: 5 games 15.11 (last game was Round 6 and didn't play again until Rd 9 1993, and indeed played in that GF, Flying High)
1993: 16 games 47.37
Total: 93 games 255.141

Ducker kicked 12.4 in Round 18 1988 and 14.6 in Round 23 1991; no one has exceeded 14 goals since then in a match, only equalled in this match: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8647
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:24 am

Thanks spelly. Forgot about that 12 goal haul in 1988 - who was that against?

Always thought those Norwood sides of the late 80s were a strong full forward (with a fit Ducker lending support) away from really contesting for a flag. I guess the difference from the early 80s sides that netted a couple of flags was that they never really found a proper replacement for Neville Roberts (with all due respect to James Weeding ;) ).
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:30 am

Reckon you are very, VERY close to the money mate .. Norwood really didn't have a decent full forward til Chris Prime Id say. In 1990 after a slow start we were on fire, beating North at Prospect, and the Bay's then Port at footy park in a strong run of wins, but it all fell apart late in the season. Whether the off-field issues I mentioned before had its part to play, but the injury to Weeding which basically finished him and some fall out from that (stories at the time that John Hall was blamed for it) saw yet another Norwood season unravel. I have absolutely zero doubt that our best was good enough that year. The other thing that let Notwood down in post 84' finals was that we didn't have enough mongrel across the board, and our game relied on too much handball, which fell apart too often under finals pressure.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby GWW » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:02 am

Andrew Pascoe was a handy forward too, was he up and about in late 80s?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:28 am

GWW wrote:Andrew Pascoe was a handy forward too, was he up and about in late 80s?

Reckon he played in the 1989 preliminary final before he went over to the VFL (Collingwood?) IIRC, but would've been pretty young at that time and would've had no more than a couple of seasons at league level under his belt.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:33 am

JK wrote:The other thing that let Notwood down in post 84' finals was that we didn't have enough mongrel across the board, and our game relied on too much handball, which fell apart too often under finals pressure.

From what I remember seeing in those days those Norwood sides seemed to mimic the fast running handball game style that North at the time were very good at executing, but never seemed to pull it off* as effectively. One handball too many and often getting in trouble as a result.
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:21 am

Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:The other thing that let Notwood down in post 84' finals was that we didn't have enough mongrel across the board, and our game relied on too much handball, which fell apart too often under finals pressure.

From what I remember seeing in those days those Norwood sides seemed to mimic the fast running handball game style that North at the time were very good at executing, but never seemed to pull it off* as effectively. One handball too many and often getting in trouble as a result.

North had more physically hard players and many who were skillful ball getters or users that were physically tougher to ride the bumps .. As an outsider it was almost as though the Roosters drew a line in the sand after getting banged up by the Bay's in 86' and 87'.

At Norwood we had one of the toughest players in the country, but it's almost as though it stopped there and all the physical stuff was left to him. You've got to have hardness across the board to have a premiership capable team.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:44 am

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:

North had more physically hard players and many who were skillful ball getters or users that were physically tougher to ride the bumps .. As an outsider it was almost as though the Roosters drew a line in the sand after getting banged up by the Bay's in 86' and 87'.

At Norwood we had one of the toughest players in the country, but it's almost as though it stopped there and all the physical stuff was left to him. You've got to have hardness across the board to have a premiership capable team.

I wouldn't say winning the grand final by 82 points in 1987 was exactly getting banged up?
85 & 86 perhaps?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum