The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Magellan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Hazydog wrote:That's not going to happen. If ever they were going to get any decent support it would have been while there was a novelty factor. Other than tge Walker game it hasn't happened- and won't. Maybe playing more country games would get a few more out to support them- but that doesn't really help the SANFL clubs

I agree 100% Hazydog. My post was intended to be a crack at the Crows. Looks like I'll need to turn up the sarcasm-o-meter. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:23 pm

sib wrote:The problem is that people like me who love the crows also love an SANFL club. Me being Norwood. Therefore I find myself supporting both teams in the SANFL. The best thing would be for Port and Adelaide to join the VFL. The fact that someone can support two teams shows the joke the SANFL has become.

I'd say the fact that someone can support two teams in the one comp is a reflection on the supporter more than the competition.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:28 pm

sib wrote:The problem is that people like me who love the crows also love an SANFL club. Me being Norwood. Therefore I find myself supporting both teams in the SANFL. The best thing would be for Port and Adelaide to join the VFL. The fact that someone can support two teams shows the joke the SANFL has become.

But then that's "interlopers" invading the VFL and shitting on their competition.

( It's already been shit on Booney! )

So two wrongs make a right?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby RB » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:42 pm

Magellan wrote:

I'd say the fact that someone can support two teams in the one comp is a reflection on the supporter more than the competition.

I'd say it's a reflection on the competition. I mean, no-one supported two teams before 2014.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Sure, the comp is compromised, I agree with that sentiment RB. But it's the supporter's choice to barrack for two teams. People are entitled to their own justifications for whom they support, as I've said before, and if someone wants to back two sides then be my guest.

A conflict of interest was imposed on those SA footy fans from 2014 who supported an SANFL side and the Crows. Most that have kept a flame for the local club can't let the Crows go. To circumvent the very apparent problem of supporting two teams (a point of ridicule for any fan who takes their footy seriously) they have constructed a convenient fiction that they only support the Crows in the AFL, and not the reserves in the SANFL, notwithstanding they're the same club which has a team that competes directly with their SANFL side.

Again, each to their own, but to me it makes no sense. If you love the Crows, then 'show the pride' or whatever and support them 100%. If you love your local club, then get behind them. Don't sit on the fence. Have the bollocks to declare where your allegiance lies.

Rant over (again!).
Magellan
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Magellan wrote:Sure, the comp is compromised, I agree with that sentiment RB. But it's the supporter's choice to barrack for two teams. People are entitled to their own justifications for whom they support, as I've said before, and if someone wants to back two sides then be my guest.

A conflict of interest was imposed on those SA footy fans from 2014 who supported an SANFL side and the Crows. Most that have kept a flame for the local club can't let the Crows go. To circumvent the very apparent problem of supporting two teams (a point of ridicule for any fan who takes their footy seriously) they have constructed a convenient fiction that they only support the Crows in the AFL, and not the reserves in the SANFL, notwithstanding they're the same club which has a team that competes directly with their SANFL side.

Again, each to their own, but to me it makes no sense. If you love the Crows, then 'show the pride' or whatever and support them 100%. If you love your local club, then get behind them. Don't sit on the fence. Have the bollocks to declare where your allegiance lies.

Rant over (again!).

What about if you've always loved your club, are dead against the AFL reserves but also furious with your club for their role in the Crows and Port reserves teams?

Tricky.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:23 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Magellan wrote:Sure, the comp is compromised, I agree with that sentiment RB. But it's the supporter's choice to barrack for two teams. People are entitled to their own justifications for whom they support, as I've said before, and if someone wants to back two sides then be my guest.

Rant over (again!).

What about if you've always loved your club, are dead against the AFL reserves but also furious with your club for their role in the Crows and Port reserves teams?

Tricky.

Yes, a tough call. If you stay or if you go, either way you've expressed your passion for your club.
Magellan
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:40 pm

Magellan wrote:Yes, a tough call. If you stay or if you go, either way you've expressed your passion for your club.

Went from a week in/ week out attendee to maybe three or four games a year. Went from a membership spend of about $800 down to $25. Went from going to a lot of shows to none.

More importantly went from being proud of my club to ashamed at the way they'd handled themselves.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Thinking of making up a T-shirt for the new season.
Something like:
F*** OFF CROWS! F*** OFF POWER!
on the front and either
Save the SANFL or No AFL in the SANFL
on the back.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby tipper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:08 pm

ill buy one of those, although it wont be seen at any games more than likely.

dare say if i show up any time 'scotty" and "RM" would take personal offence to me, and it would be worse if i was in that shirt :roll: :lol:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Reddeer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Rant over (again!).

I quite happily support the AFL Crows (but less so after their invasion of the SANFL) as it is the best alternative in the SA teams. However as much as I attend all the Eagles games I will always refuse to attend when they play either AFL teams in the SANFL compromised non level field competition.
I will only have a few more years to put up with the travesty until like all of us oldies we are no longer around.
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Rant over (again!).

You follow an ammo or country club magellan?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Magellan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:02 pm

bennymacca wrote:You follow an ammo or country club magellan?

No.
Magellan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Must be nice to only follow a single club
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:55 pm

There is abit of a difference between following multiple clubs over different leagues compared to following two sides in the one cimp who compete against each other
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:43 pm

bennymacca wrote:Must be nice to only follow a single club

Better than following a married club.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:07 pm

whufc wrote:There is abit of a difference between following multiple clubs over different leagues compared to following two sides in the one cimp who compete against each other

Exactly, so now you understand why it's weird
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:17 pm

whufc wrote:There is abit of a difference between following multiple clubs over different leagues compared to following two sides in the one cimp who compete against each other

where will your allegiances be when WHUFC vs FCUM are in the same league??? :lol:
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11850 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:06 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

where will your allegiances be when WHUFC vs FCUM are in the same league??? :lol:

I support west ham

FcUM are my business enterprise lol

:lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby saintal » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Somebody in the WA media actually calling things as they see it:

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/west-coas ... nni6p.html

"But where does that leave the integrity of the WAFL if East Perth have descended to nothing more than a "play thing" for the Eagles?"
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL