The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Rising Power » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31 am

whufc wrote:
RustyCage wrote:No player who wants to be the best footballer they can be would chose to play at an SANFL club over an AFL club.

That's my point

It crap that now SANFL clubs lose promising young guns to rival clubs (Ravens and power reserves) and there is simply nothing in the world they can do to keep them

This is completely different to when u lose a player to a Victorian or wa club etc

On the bright side there's around 40-odd other blokes and a bunch of U18s that are happy to stay.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby stan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:36 am

whufc wrote:
RustyCage wrote:No player who wants to be the best footballer they can be would chose to play at an SANFL club over an AFL club.

That's my point

It crap that now SANFL clubs lose promising young guns to rival clubs (Ravens and power reserves) and there is simply nothing in the world they can do to keep them

This is completely different to when u lose a player to a Victorian or wa club etc

It will be a bit odd now with the current setup. Almost better losing a young player interstate than having to watch them play against you.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:38 am

JK wrote:
Reddeer wrote:
Grahaml wrote:The AFL sides would simply refuse to agree to that. If the SANFL can't bring themselves to kick them out then they won't bring themselves to introduce conditions that would have the same effect.

That is the problem they haven't the guts to do anything to protect OUR competition

Don't think there's much they can do. Last I heard any agreements in place would require the AFL clubs to accept any changes that would remove them from the competition and obviously that's not going to happen. How accurate I'm not sure.

More so I dont believe the SANFL will do anything as they have shown they are not willing to do so.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:22 am

stan wrote:
whufc wrote:

That's my point

It will be a bit odd now with the current setup. Almost better losing a young player interstate than having to watch them play against you.

Yep 100% better losing a player interstate than him playing against you as well as potentially handing any inside knowledge one of your opponents as well. Throw in the potential of information about your players getting to the AFL clubs (eg, supposedly Ian Callinan played a big part in the Crows getting Thomas across the line this year)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby holden78 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:09 am

Did anyone else hear both Judge Roy Laird and Thomas in separate radio interviews on 5 double crow, and be amused how the time lines
for each did not match....... ;)
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby tipper » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:48 pm

any other North supporters get a letter from the coach this week? it is trying to convince me to return to membership, and while alluding to the reasons i may have stopped renewing, i think i misses the point somewhat. it seems to put too much emphasis on performance on field, which has zero to do with my non renewal/

if i get a chance this weekend ill type it out here to see what others think of it
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby mal » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:10 pm

stan wrote:
whufc wrote:

That's my point

Spot on Stan + WHUFC
There is a distinct possibility of this happening with 2 players from the West Adelaide 2015 Premiership winning team
Will Snelling [Port Reserves]
Jono Beech [Adelaide Reserves]
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1153 times
Been liked: 906 times

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:23 pm

http://www.sen.com.au/news/12-15/return ... FBivmRE.97

Williamstown VFL President Trevor Monti has slammed any plan for a stand alone AFL reserves league as part of a revamp of the game's second tier competition.

Former league commissioner Bill Kelty has just completed a review of the pathways into the AFL and has confirmed a return to a reserves league is one of several options that will be considered by the AFL Commission.

"That suggestion will be a disaster for Victorian football, a disaster for standalone clubs...I can tell you no standalone club has been consulted nor has AFL Victoria been consulted about it," Monti has told SEN radio.

A number of AFL clubs have their own VFL teams, but others are aligned to VFL affiliates, such as Hawthorn's relationship with Box Hill.

"I know there's one or two selfish coaches within the AFL that are driving the AFL reserves competition, but that will be to the disadvantage of Victorian football in a very, very substantial way,"

Williamstown won the VFL premiership in 2015 when it defeated Box Hill, however Monti believes relegation to a third tier competition would almost kill his club.

"We've been around for 151 years playing in a second tier competition, and we're now going to be relegated to a third tier competition. We've got large sponsors that contribute major sponsorships that will all fall away.

"We have six full time administrative staff, we've just appointed a coach for two years on a substantial salary. If we're relegated to a third tier competition beyond 2017, we're left high and dry in no mans land...going nowhere. "

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/12-15/return ... wQjjj4Q.99
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby Fricky » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:02 pm

Booney wrote:http://www.sen.com.au/news/12-15/return-to-afl-reserves-being-considered#4CTdfoK0FFBivmRE.97

Williamstown VFL President Trevor Monti has slammed any plan for a stand alone AFL reserves league as part of a revamp of the game's second tier competition.

Former league commissioner Bill Kelty has just completed a review of the pathways into the AFL and has confirmed a return to a reserves league is one of several options that will be considered by the AFL Commission.

"That suggestion will be a disaster for Victorian football, a disaster for standalone clubs...I can tell you no standalone club has been consulted nor has AFL Victoria been consulted about it," Monti has told SEN radio.

A number of AFL clubs have their own VFL teams, but others are aligned to VFL affiliates, such as Hawthorn's relationship with Box Hill.

"I know there's one or two selfish coaches within the AFL that are driving the AFL reserves competition, but that will be to the disadvantage of Victorian football in a very, very substantial way,"

Williamstown won the VFL premiership in 2015 when it defeated Box Hill, however Monti believes relegation to a third tier competition would almost kill his club.

"We've been around for 151 years playing in a second tier competition, and we're now going to be relegated to a third tier competition. We've got large sponsors that contribute major sponsorships that will all fall away.

"We have six full time administrative staff, we've just appointed a coach for two years on a substantial salary. If we're relegated to a third tier competition beyond 2017, we're left high and dry in no mans land...going nowhere. "

If they are going to have a Vic AFL reserves comp then they may as well go the whole hog and have a full AFL reserves comp and pull the clubs from the other state leagues in. I think the SANFL would be able to still manage well if an AFL reserves competition started up. For one, the Crows and Port sides would no longer be involved and that would make it a pure SANFL comp again.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Suri wrote:
Booney wrote:http://www.sen.com.au/news/12-15/return-to-afl-reserves-being-considered#4CTdfoK0FFBivmRE.97

If they are going to have a Vic AFL reserves comp then they may as well go the whole hog and have a full AFL reserves comp and pull the clubs from the other state leagues in. I think the SANFL would be able to still manage well if an AFL reserves competition started up. For one, the Crows and Port sides would no longer be involved and that would make it a pure SANFL comp again.

Where does it say a Vic AFL reserves comp, I read an AFL reserves comp.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Fricky » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Suri wrote:

Where does it say a Vic AFL reserves comp, I read an AFL reserves comp.

I was listening to SEN this morning when KB was talking about it. They way he spoke made it sound like it was just going to be the Victorian AFL teams leaving the VFL and having their own reserves comp.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby therisingblues » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:50 am

Pretty sure that the issues identified in that article wouldn't apply to the SANFL. The problem for the Vics is the large number of teams involved makes it a competition with multiple options for spectators every week. Whereas we will only ever have one game played per week.
Any talk about when the reserves would play? If it's before the league then the whole event would surely just blend in as part of the circus, probably wouldn't affect the Vics anyway?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:44 pm

Are you deliberately missing the point?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby holden78 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:05 am

The two Cancers will never go now, why would they when they have everything they could want from the SANFL and one doesn't even
pay for the privilege yet get's to masquerade as a great club of the past!
And they get to put as much into their games as they can be assed depending on another comp.
One day, no doubt, they'll make a joke of a GF because of other commitments far more important, yet we are fine with it?
Get them out of our finals and restore some respect to our competition ffs.
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:26 am

I'd just like to wish everyone in the No AFL whinge thread a very Happy Christmas and a Whingeful New Year, except for the two AFL reserve sides who can go and **** off.
Keep the faith.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:46 am

johntheclaret wrote:I'd just like to wish everyone in the No AFL whinge thread a very Happy Christmas and a Whingeful New Year, except for the two AFL reserve sides who can go and **** off.
Keep the faith.

Yep, a very happy and whingey Festivus to all.

All we need is the pole in the middle of the room, since we've already had 200-plus pages of "the airing of greivances'.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jim05 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Magellan wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:I'd just like to wish everyone in the No AFL whinge thread a very Happy Christmas and a Whingeful New Year, except for the two AFL reserve sides who can go and **** off.
Keep the faith.

All we need is the pole in the middle of the room, since we've already had 200-plus pages of "the airing of greivances'.

Time for the feats of strength then
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:26 am

Jim05 wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Keep the faith.

Done. Another year following North Adelaide.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:42 pm

Magellan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Keep the faith.

Done. Another year following North Adelaide.

I think the Glenelg supporters might have you covered in that event.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Reddeer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:51 pm

At the Eagles AGM I asked the following questions to the board.
"What benefit has the club and the SANFL gained from the AFL teams in the competition?
One of the answers from the President was that the club's players gained tremendous satisfaction in being able to defeat a measuring stick such as a professional unit. The club did it for the first time last season.
My complaint about the comp being far from a level playing field was pretty much dismissed, probably because it provides the challenge to the amateurs!
Not much was provided as per finically gain.
I note that the promised extra 4000 attendees did not come to fruition, in fact the attendances dropped.
I made mention of some of the suggestions mooted regarding the AFL teams, i.e
No SANFL games at Alberton (Now in Eagles territory anyway)
Limit on number of professionals that can be played by AFL teams should they be at full strength
Less or no byes!!!
Why has Port still have a SANFL reserves team
What do the Port Power pay to play in the SANFL (seeing they chose to be an AFL club
NONE OF WHICH HAPPENED.
It probably will when the Crows and Port play in the Grand Final. Then maybe the penny will drop (after it is too late)
I was not howled down but the questions remained
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL