SANFL Player Movements - 2015 / 2016

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Player Movements - 2015 / 2016

Postby kingrooster » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:19 pm

From the NAFC website:

In response to the rumour and speculation about Lewis Johnston’s future at the NAFC, we would like to confirm the following.

After several meetings over the past couple of weeks with the Coach and management, Lewis has advised that he no longer wants to be part of the team at the NAFC. Lewis, as we know, has had a terrible 12 months with injury and has played very little football over the past few years. In addition, a week prior to pre-season training he broke his big toe playing basketball which disappointingly resulted in another period on the sidelines at this crucial time. As our supporters have rightfully demanded, there has been new standards and expectations set at the Club after a horrible season on field, and all players are required to commit fully to the program under Josh Carr. Lewis doesn’t wish to commit to this, and has indicated he prefers not to play. Lewis has not had his contract cut as rumours suggest, although he was invited in to have his contract discussed with the aim to remind him of his obligations to his Club and teammates off the field. In any case, this meeting never took place and is not the reason for him wanting to leave his teammates.
We all share the disappointment of this with our supporters, however be assured Lewis is a contracted, required player at this Club and therefore is not able to speak with any Clubs without our permission as he knows. We will continue to work with him on the issues he has as we know how talented he could be, but at the same time the new football program will not be compromised by any player who doesn’t want to buy in or play for the Club.
kingrooster
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:22 pm

Wowsers

Centrals please pay this bloke what he wants!!!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby on the rails » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:34 pm

Johnston contracted until end of 2017 so any other club will have to stump up a very big transfer fee for starters let alone pay his match payments and considering Central had a big dip and missed out when he got delisted from Crows then good luck!

Also his off field issues might be a big factor too......
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:37 pm

on the rails wrote:Also his off field issues might be a big factor too......

Do these resemble those of other recently departed players? Or it is his extra-curricular sporting activities (i.e. basketball) which caused his toe injury?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby on the rails » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:41 pm

Magellan wrote:

Do these resemble those of other recently departed players? Or it is his extra-curricular sporting activities (i.e. basketball) which caused his toe injury?

Not the same - just unique to Lewie and over long time period so I am told. Sad in anycase not to see him in red and white whatever or whoever you believe.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:46 pm

on the rails wrote:Johnston contracted until end of 2017 so any other club will have to stump up a very big transfer fee for starters let alone pay his match payments and considering Central had a big dip and missed out when he got delisted from Crows then good luck!

Agree it would have to be a sweet deal but in saying that it's very rare to see a club make a bloke sit the year out

With Thommo and Retzlaff gone I don't think salary cap space would be a issue, definately worth the gamble imho
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:53 pm

kingrooster wrote:From the NAFC website:

In response to the rumour and speculation about Lewis Johnston’s future at the NAFC, we would like to confirm the following.

After several meetings over the past couple of weeks with the Coach and management, Lewis has advised that he no longer wants to be part of the team at the NAFC. Lewis, as we know, has had a terrible 12 months with injury and has played very little football over the past few years. In addition, a week prior to pre-season training he broke his big toe playing basketball which disappointingly resulted in another period on the sidelines at this crucial time. As our supporters have rightfully demanded, there has been new standards and expectations set at the Club after a horrible season on field, and all players are required to commit fully to the program under Josh Carr. Lewis doesn’t wish to commit to this, and has indicated he prefers not to play. Lewis has not had his contract cut as rumours suggest, although he was invited in to have his contract discussed with the aim to remind him of his obligations to his Club and teammates off the field. In any case, this meeting never took place and is not the reason for him wanting to leave his teammates.
We all share the disappointment of this with our supporters, however be assured Lewis is a contracted, required player at this Club and therefore is not able to speak with any Clubs without our permission as he knows. We will continue to work with him on the issues he has as we know how talented he could be, but at the same time the new football program will not be compromised by any player who doesn’t want to buy in or play for the Club.

Can't read anything but massive sooky-la-la into that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:01 pm

I don't believe a word of it.

I reckon it's just a ruse to get The Roost fired up
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:39 pm

am Bays wrote:I don't believe a word of it.

I reckon it's just a ruse to get The Roost fired up

It has been a bit slow of late. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:47 pm

on the rails wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Not the same - just unique to Lewie and over long time period so I am told. Sad in anycase not to see him in red and white whatever or whoever you believe.

Cheers.

Hard to believe a player who has already been through the rigors of AFL-level training simply can't be buggered doing a pre-season at SANFL level, when he'd dominate (provided he remains injury free) and therefore give himself another chance to be re-drafted.
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:03 pm

on the rails wrote:Johnston contracted until end of 2017 so any other club will have to stump up a very big transfer fee for starters let alone pay his match payments and considering Central had a big dip and missed out when he got delisted from Crows then good luck!

Club naturally would stand there ground on such a quality and sought after player .. But he would be an expensive player (by SANFL standard I'd imagine) and keeping his wage or even a portion of it on the books for no on-field return, wouldn't be ideal I'd imagine.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby robranisgod » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:11 pm

JK wrote:

Club naturally would stand there ground on such a quality and sought after player .. But he would be an expensive player (by SANFL standard I'd imagine) and keeping his wage or even a portion of it on the books for no on-field return, wouldn't be ideal I'd imagine.

But if he doesn't play and isn't injured would he be on a wage? I don't know the answer to that, just posing the question.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby JK » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:16 pm

robranisgod wrote:
JK wrote:

But if he doesn't play and isn't injured would he be on a wage? I don't know the answer to that, just posing the question.

I believe so .. Most players these days have a base + per match setup, and usually players missing large chunks of games (ie, long term injuries) still get a %age of their base. As I understand it though, there is still the odd contract floating about for set amounts that aren't based on match payment.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:33 pm

If he's refusing to fulfil his any of his obligations under the contract (i.e. play footy and train when required to do so, at the least), then why would he be paid? If I was the club (if only) I'd be questioning whether he's breached the contract, which has other ramifications.

Depends on the particular wording of his contract, and its terms and conditions, of course.
Magellan
Coach

Postby SimonH » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:35 pm

kingrooster wrote:From the NAFC website:

Man, oh, man, the next recruit to the NAFC needs to be someone with some PR skills. Rule #1: don't respond to "rumour and speculation". If there's a particular person who's gone on the record as saying something that's wrong, then correct it by all means; but otherwise you just look like your agenda is being set by behind-the-scenes whispers.

There is 'playing hardball', and then there's 'hanging your dirty laundry out to dry and attacking one of your own in public for no apparent gain'. This one falls totally on the wrong side of that line.

PS Norwood could really handle an old-style full forward who can mark and kick straight, right now. Just saying.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby JK » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Magellan wrote:If he's refusing to fulfil his any of his obligations under the contract (i.e. play footy and train when required to do so, at the least), then why would he be paid? If I was the club (if only) I'd be questioning whether he's breached the contract, which has other ramifications.

Depends on the particular wording of his contract, and its terms and conditions, of course.

Thats a two way street
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:42 pm

SimonH wrote:PS Norwood could really handle an old-style full forward who can mark and kick straight, right now. Just saying.

North at this stage could do with some stability, proper direction from the board, and a positive club culture that translates to on-field success. Oh, and a premiership. Wanna swap?
Magellan
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:47 pm

None of his contract counts towards the salary cap if he doesn't play.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Gozu » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:29 pm

North contemplating paying him to not play anywhere else? Interesting.

I'd always liked the way Johnston plays and it would be nice if he ends up Norwood.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Gozu wrote:North contemplating paying him to not play anywhere else? Interesting.

Given his value, it seems implausible that the club would cut off it's nose to spite its face.

Then again, North are capable of anything.
Magellan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL