Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby helicopterking » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:29 am

Booney wrote:Whilst I'm not going to over react to a loss like that, I'm measured enough ( I think ) to acknowledge the form the Bulldogs are currently in, I am going to bring into question the coaching group.

Clearly our plan for 2015 was to continue the blitz of 2014. Run from defence, take the game on at all costs and back ourselves to create enough opportunities to score more than the opposition. It seems as though the defensive side of our preseason may have been neglected.

Meanwhile, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs ( with Simpson and Beveridge out of the Hawthorn coaching stable ) are working on the defensive zones that have made them both top 4 sides. Now, both sides boast pretty good forward lines, but not many would say Port don't either. Schulz, Wingard, Monfries, Ryder, Westhoff and a Gray/Boak reads pretty well on paper and stacks up against either the Eagles or Dogs front half. Stacks up very well.

This group ( bar Wingard ) have had their confidence shot by the stop start play of the mids and defenders that has been caused by our inability to use the ball well enough to penetrate the zones most clubs now adopt. On the flip side it seems we don't play a zone and if we do either the formation doesn't work or the personnel in the zone aren't sticking to the structures.

So if it's a lack of zone being used, the coaches need to be looked at. Clearly the modern game is not about one-on-one forward v defender. It has moved past that for the top sides. So, do we play a zone? No, I don't think we do. I've seen enough games from Level 1 of the Riverbank Stand this year to say we don't. We play man-on-man.

With GWS, Hawthorn ( oh **** ), Gold Coast and Fremantle to come I think we might not win another one for the year and what I'd like to see in the next month is the start of a defensive zone being put in place. Use this 4 weeks as a lead into 2016 pre-season built around an improved team defence structure.

I think Lobbe will be dropped this week, he really should be anyway. He's either not fit or just really, really lacking any confidence and his pressure on the opposition on Saturday was deplorable.

As for talk of players being jealous or upset about what Ryder is on, talk about them being worked too hard on the training track. **** me. Toughen up buttercup and get on with it. From what I understand this pre-season they had this year was hardly anything compared to the one before and with an early finish this year coming I think they can expect a massive one ahead.

You have 1 genuine gun in that list, it's Wingard. Gray is too, but he is more a midfielder now. The rest are average. Westhoff can't hold down a CHF spot,never has been able to. Ryder is a Ruckman, Schultz has gone to toast,Monfries is an average forward.

It does not stack up against either Bulldogs or a West coast forward lines.
West Coast- Kennedy,Lecras,Darling are all A grade forwards. Then throw Sinclair/Nic Nat,Cripps are the 2nd tier.
Bulldogs- Crameri,Dickson, Stringer,Dahlhaus are very good, then add Redpath and Bontempelli to that mix aswell.
Both forward lines have a lot more fire power then Ports.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:30 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:no one will go near him at this age for any decent pick.

Still producing decent footy, I think he'd be a handy 2 or 3 year player for a club that needs to fill gaps around the ground.

Yeah, but who wants to bring a massive cockhead into a playing group that is heading up the ladder?

Dogs took Aker and Richmond took Cousins, plenty of cockheads have changed clubs :D

Richmond took Cousins because he brought a lot of speed to the club.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:37 am

I disagree there mate.

Schulz 66 goals last year.Monfries 21 last year (missed several games) and 39 the year before. Both have had their confidence eroded to the point they look average, they are much better than we have seen this year and much of it is to do with delivery not their ability. ****, any forward in our side this year would have struggled.

Westhoff can't hold down a spot? 31 goals in 13, 30 last year, playing high forward / pinch hitting in ruck and lose man in defence when needed. He's much maligned and I think a lot of the time unfairly. People don't take into account the work he does in the middle and behind the ball when they look at his as a CHF. He's not a CHF in the traditional sense and never has been. He's always been more of a high forward/utility.

West Coast - Agreed, Kennedy, LeCras and Darling all top shelf.

Bulldogs - Crameri is too inconsistent, Dickson and Stringer very good and Dahlhaus plays as a run with mid. Redpath looks promising and the Bont only goes there when the ball is there like a Gray or Boak does.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:no one will go near him at this age for any decent pick.

Still producing decent footy, I think he'd be a handy 2 or 3 year player for a club that needs to fill gaps around the ground.

Yeah, but who wants to bring a massive cockhead into a playing group that is heading up the ladder?

Dogs took Aker and Richmond took Cousins, plenty of cockheads have changed clubs :D

And neither of them played in winning finals for the clubs. Anyone who believes they are a chance of late September action wouldn't touch Goddard.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:13 am

Booney wrote:I disagree there mate.

Schulz 66 goals last year.Monfries 21 last year (missed several games) and 39 the year before. Both have had their confidence eroded to the point they look average, they are much better than we have seen this year and much of it is to do with delivery not their ability. ****, any forward in our side this year would have struggled.

Westhoff can't hold down a spot? 31 goals in 13, 30 last year, playing high forward / pinch hitting in ruck and lose man in defence when needed. He's much maligned and I think a lot of the time unfairly. People don't take into account the work he does in the middle and behind the ball when they look at his as a CHF. He's not a CHF in the traditional sense and never has been. He's always been more of a high forward/utility.

West Coast - Agreed, Kennedy, LeCras and Darling all top shelf.

Bulldogs - Crameri is too inconsistent, Dickson and Stringer very good and Dahlhaus plays as a run with mid. Redpath looks promising and the Bont only goes there when the ball is there like a Gray or Boak does.

Except the Bulldogs are going to have that forward line,for the next 5-10 years. Add Boyd to that, it is serious fire power.
On Westhoff, takes plenty of marks loose man In defence, so he should. But struggles to stay in the game when he tries to hold down a key position.
Both Monfries and Schultz have gone to ground to much this year,which has led to easy transition out. Don't think you will see 30+ goals out of Monfries again.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:15 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Richmond took Cousins because he brought a lot of speed to the club.

I think when people take the time to deliver Monday Morning gems like this one they deserve to be recognised =D> =D> :supz:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby carey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:13 am

big carry on about Ken swinging the axe big changes. Bullshit there was, Lobbe yes bigger name but totally deserved to be dropped.

Sam C yep burns the footy to much but will remain long term and Cluery yep I don't think his in our best 22.

My issue is Moore and Young, Why not give these blokes a month to see if they'll make it? We know what Mitchell offers but do we know what these 2 can do? For mine Moore needs an extended run in the side. I believe we should've went with Broadbent and Hartlett that would've sent a bigger better message to the playing group that this piss weak 2015 isn't good enough.

Krak shouldn't of been dropped anyway but Amon should've come in instead of Mitchell
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Spargo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:21 am

carey wrote:big carry on about Ken swinging the axe big changes. Bullshit there was, Lobbe yes bigger name but totally deserved to be dropped.

Sam C yep burns the footy to much but will remain long term and Cluery yep I don't think his in our best 22.

My issue is Moore and Young, Why not give these blokes a month to see if they'll make it? We know what Mitchell offers but do we know what these 2 can do? For mine Moore needs an extended run in the side. I believe we should've went with Broadbent and Hartlett that would've sent a bigger better message to the playing group that this piss weak 2015 isn't good enough.

Krak shouldn't of been dropped anyway but Amon should've come in instead of Mitchell

Dropping "bigger name" players when the season was on the line would've sent a stronger message, not now the season is shot & the pressure has diminished.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5529 times
Been liked: 5161 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:44 am

carey wrote:big carry on about Ken swinging the axe big changes. Bullshit there was, Lobbe yes bigger name but totally deserved to be dropped.

Yep, the usual scapegoats for a mediocre performance, Port looked better without the Shithard in the side, burnt the ball excessively again against the Dogs, forced me to listen to the radio instead.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby carey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:00 am

Spargo wrote:

Dropping "bigger name" players when the season was on the line would've sent a stronger message, not now the season is shot & the pressure has diminished.

No arguments here
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby valleys07 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:44 am

The ommission of Clurey simply astounds me.

We are defending against a GWS forwardline likely to consist of Cameron, Patton, McCarthy and a resting ruckman, and we drop our only fit 3rd tall defender for Jonas. Tom ****ing Jonas, a bloke that was as out of form as I have seen from anyone at the top level, and has hardly been setting things alight at the Magpies. From what I have read through fans who watched last weeks game, Clurey kept Crameri to relative obscurity in that first half whilst Stringer toweled up Hombsch, and Clurey was shifted onto Stringer after half time and kept him to 1 goal. Hardly a case to be dropped when your defensive unit concedes 19.

Agree with the rest though- Lobbe needed to be dropped weeks ago (see Jonas), why we persist with Mitchell I simply cannot answer, and the Moore/Young yo-yo between AFL/SANFL is frustrating.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:37 am

Clurey desperately unlucky. Really unlucky.

Moore and Young, are we trying to piss them off to head elsewhere? Up and down, up and down and when the opportunity arises to give them an extended run we bung them back to play the Bays at the Bay.

Mitchell? Why oh why? We know what he offers, run. So **** what? It's about as useful as me downing 9 pints in the Magarey Bar to the side.

Bit baffled, but, then again, who else could come in? I'm not up for just gifting someone a game, it does have to be earned.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:57 am

Booney wrote:Clurey desperately unlucky. Really unlucky.

Moore and Young, are we trying to piss them off to head elsewhere? Up and down, up and down and when the opportunity arises to give them an extended run we bung them back to play the Bays at the Bay.

Mitchell? Why oh why? We know what he offers, run. So **** what? It's about as useful as me downing 9 pints in the Magarey Bar to the side.

Bit baffled, but, then again, who else could come in? I'm not up for just gifting someone a game, it does have to be earned.

On the flip side you can't keep rewarding poor form.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5529 times
Been liked: 5161 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Agreed, but you can't bring in Darcy Byrne-Jones for Hartlett if Byrne-Jones doesn't deserve it either.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:55 pm

I would have thought Amon deserved another crack
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:28 pm

Russell Ebert sculpture to be unveiled at Adelaide Oval

He won four Magarey Medals, three premierships and played almost 400 games for his beloved Port Adelaide – and now Russell Ebert is about to take permanent pride of place at Adelaide Oval.
A sculpture of Ebert will be unveiled outside the East Gate tomorrow, Saturday 15th August just before the Power take on Greater Western Sydney in their AFL clash.
“I am very honoured and humbled, and would like to credit the support of my family, the SA football fraternity and, in particular, the Port Adelaide Football Club where I have spent most of my adult life,” Russell said.
“It’s because of family and club that this honour has been bestowed.
“It’s also important to me that we recognise this sculpture stands on the traditional lands of the Kaurna people. That’s also a privilege and very significant from a personal perspective.”
Ebert joins Barrie Robran in being immortalised in bronze, with the 4-metre likeness of Robran already a feature on Telstra Plaza.
A total of four footballers will be honoured in this way through the generosity of businessman and philanthropist Basil Sellers, with Ken Farmer and Malcolm Blight also to be recognised along with four cricket greats.
“We are very fortunate to be able to recognise the greats of our game in this way and perpetuate their achievements for future generations of football fans,” said John Olsen, Chairman of the SA Football Commission.
"Russell Ebert is a true champion of South Australian football, and it’s fantastic that – thanks to the generosity of Basil Sellers – the tens of thousands who come to Adelaide Oval every weekend will be able to admire and appreciate his greatness.”
Ebert and Blight will appear together at the SANFL Chairman’s Lunch on Friday August 21st, offering fans a one-off opportunity to hear from these two greats about their memories and their views of the game today.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby UK Fan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:31 pm

Port now arguing too many teams in Melbourne and in the AFL as a whole.

So let me get this straight, you were a joke of a club with crowds of under 20k in a two team city just two years ago.

The State Government builds you a $600mill stadium at taxpayers expense, you now get 40k through no good work of your own and now you are playing the ‘we’re awesome and other clubs are custard’ card?

How does f@ck off sound?

Does Koch plan to hug the presidents after closing down the Melbourne clubs.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby cracka » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:37 pm

UK Fan wrote:Port now arguing too many teams in Melbourne and in the AFL as a whole.

So let me get this straight, you were a joke of a club with crowds of under 20k in a two team city just two years ago.

The State Government builds you a $600mill stadium at taxpayers expense, you now get 40k through no good work of your own and now you are playing the ‘we’re awesome and other clubs are custard’ card?

How does f@ck off sound?

Does Koch plan to hug the presidents after closing down the Melbourne clubs.

This'll be good to watch. :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby tigerhutch » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Well it is true there are too many Melbourne clubs ..... It's not rocket science ..... But don't worry it's not going to change for a very long time..
Vote for King Thistle and the Wise Old Elf ... you know it makes sense
tigerhutch
Rookie

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:35 pm

tigerhutch wrote:Well it is true there are too many Melbourne clubs ..... It's not rocket science ..... But don't worry it's not going to change for a very long time..

Wont change at all. Port knew what they were signing up for when they entered the comp, will always be an expanded VFL
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3561 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL