The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby wild dog » Wed May 13, 2015 1:48 am

bennymacca wrote:
HoldenV8 wrote:You know the whole thing is a joke when Phil Walsh has the 'State League' coach pull certain players from the field because he wanted them as emergencies for the AFL team.

IMO that is making a mockery of the integrity of the SANFL competition (and it really can't afford to lose what little integrity it has left).

The AFL keeps tooting their own horn about what they do for grass roots football with things like Auskick. But the reality is that what they are doing is nothing more than securing the future of their own competition with little care for what happens to the various state based leagues such as the SANFL, WAFL and the VFL.

That used to happen before though. Nothing different in that regard.

What used to happen before.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby wild dog » Wed May 13, 2015 1:54 am

matt35 wrote:So a club that was against the changes from the start. Move along, nothing to see here.

Thats right a club suffering from a severe drop in home numbers directly attributed to the reserves issue. It's an issue in motion so there is plenty to see.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby johntheclaret » Wed May 13, 2015 5:38 am

wild dog wrote:
matt35 wrote:So a club that was against the changes from the start. Move along, nothing to see here.

Thats right a club suffering from a severe drop in home numbers directly attributed to the reserves issue. It's an issue in motion so there is plenty to see.

Playing devils advocate here but, why would Centrals' numbers be down as they voted no?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Fluffbag » Wed May 13, 2015 8:26 am

I don't know how much money the SANFL got in the Adelaide Oval deal, but if the other clubs don't want crows and port then the money that the SANFL get from a stadium they don't manage or licenses they don't control would also need to be reviewed. Also if the two teams go then seven's TV deal will probably get reviewed as well.

I would love to go back to the 80s and have 3 state leagues and 40,000 people supporting the local teams but it not going to happen as money control sports these days.

I was thinking about the future of the local league and I think it may become an under 18 competition for potential players for the draft and there will be an AFL reserve competition

I don't like it myself but once you open Pandora's box it is very hard to go back and the sad fact is the generation under 20 years probably couldn't care less about the SANFL.

Who is going to go to the games or keep this site going when we die?
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 8:38 am

Fluffbag wrote:I don't know how much money the SANFL got in the Adelaide Oval deal, but if the other clubs don't want crows and port then the money that the SANFL get from a stadium they don't manage or licenses they don't control would also need to be reviewed. Also if the two teams go then seven's TV deal will probably get reviewed as well.

I would love to go back to the 80s and have 3 state leagues and 40,000 people supporting the local teams but it not going to happen as money control sports these days.

I was thinking about the future of the local league and I think it may become an under 18 competition for potential players for the draft and there will be an AFL reserve competition

I don't like it myself but once you open Pandora's box it is very hard to go back and the sad fact is the generation under 20 years probably couldn't care less about the SANFL.

Bullshit, the sanfl control a portion of the stadium management authority. They held a contract for all afl games in adelaide to be played at footy park. The sanfl are the custodians of aussie rules in this state. The pay off for them to agree to allow games to be moved to adelaide oval was seats and a funancial interest in the stadium management authority board room. That doesnt change if the reserves sides are no longer in the sanfl, and the $50k per team the crows play would be easily covered by people returning to watch (if its not too late) and by the season being longer.

Its a ******* joke that we gained a team but shortened the season. Kick the reserves teams out and we play 21 games instead of 18. Clubs get even more home games, the grand final is returned to its rightful place in october, everyone is happy, apart from the afl fanbois who i couldnt care less about..... i dont see any downside when it is looked at from the sanfl perspective
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby sjt » Wed May 13, 2015 8:41 am

If they don't kick them out, their games shouldn't count for premiership points (and they can't play finals).
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 8:41 am

johntheclaret wrote:
wild dog wrote:

Playing devils advocate here but, why would Centrals' numbers be down as they voted no?

They have even more reason to be dissatisfied with the arrangement in my mind. Their club did the right thing, then got bent over anyway. They are less willing participants in this than others

Our club grabbed its ankles and told the afl to see how far they could get it in willingly, and then started backing up.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby JK » Wed May 13, 2015 9:05 am

Fluffbag wrote:I would love to go back to the 80s and have 3 state leagues and 40,000 people supporting the local teams but it not going to happen as money control sports these days.

Not having a go at you mate, but I hate it when AFL apologists trot out lines thinking SANFL fans believe the glory days can be re-visited, because it's absolute fuggin BS!

Not one single Sanfl fan is under any illusion as to our place in the pecking order, we just want an equal, non-compromised competition. We're more than happy with crowds of 2.5-3k, offset by a few lower and a few blockbusters.

We'll still continue to make AFL players.

What is unreasonable in wanting to be un-interfered with? AFL supporters, the vast majority of whom have zero knowledge and interest when it comes to the Sanfl, continually cast aspersions that just aren't factual to try and support their attitudes of "no other competition in the country matters, we should use them as we see fit"
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Fluffbag » Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 am

tipper wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:I don't know how much money the SANFL got in the Adelaide Oval deal, but if the other clubs don't want crows and port then the money that the SANFL get from a stadium they don't manage or licenses they don't control would also need to be reviewed. Also if the two teams go then seven's TV deal will probably get reviewed as well.

Bullshit, the sanfl control a portion of the stadium management authority. They held a contract for all afl games in adelaide to be played at footy park. The sanfl are the custodians of aussie rules in this state. The pay off for them to agree to allow games to be moved to adelaide oval was seats and a funancial interest in the stadium management authority board room. That doesnt change if the reserves sides are no longer in the sanfl, and the $50k per team the crows play would be easily covered by people returning to watch (if its not too late) and by the season being longer.

Its a ******* joke that we gained a team but shortened the season. Kick the reserves teams out and we play 21 games instead of 18. Clubs get even more home games, the grand final is returned to its rightful place in october, everyone is happy, apart from the afl fanbois who i couldnt care less about..... i dont see any downside when it is looked at from the sanfl perspective

At some stage, there going to be a need for a review on how the national competition, local leagues, underage competitions will look like in the future and try to get some sort of agreed structure that won't satisfied everyone's needs but will be a workable model.

Just kicking the two teams out of the SANFL may make the small number of people on this forum happy but there is a wider football community that also need to be considered when getting the right model.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby am Bays » Wed May 13, 2015 9:18 am

The SANFL and the clubs don't get money from Adelaide Oval because of the licences and because the AFL is played there, they get the money because the SANFL and the clubs built Footy Park and that is there share of their previous investment in Australian Football in this State.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:32 am

Fluffbag wrote:
tipper wrote:

At some stage, there going to be a need for a review on how the national competition, local leagues, underage competitions will look like in the future and try to get some sort of agreed structure that won't satisfied everyone's needs but will be a workable model.

Just kicking the two teams out of the SANFL may make the small number of people on this forum happy but there is a wider football community that also need to be considered when getting the right model.

on your last sentence, it is clear that the SANFL football community are voting with their lack of attendance to matches.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby topsywaldron » Wed May 13, 2015 10:01 am

Fluffbag wrote:Just kicking the two teams out of the SANFL may make the small number of people on this forum happy but there is a wider football community that also need to be considered when getting the right model.

How would the two Adelaide sides reserves teams playing in the VFL affect this mythical 'wider football community'?

It's just more typical Crowist nonsense.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed May 13, 2015 10:27 am

Fluffbag wrote:Just kicking the two teams out of the SANFL may make the small number of people on this forum happy but there is a wider football community that also need to be considered when getting the right model.

Clowns reserves make an even smaller number of people happy, given that two dozen people turn up to their matches - and you have the temerity to speak of benefit to a "wider football community"?

Sheesh...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 10:31 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:At some stage, there going to be a need for a review on how the national competition, local leagues, underage competitions will look like in the future and try to get some sort of agreed structure that won't satisfied everyone's needs but will be a workable model.

on your last sentence, it is clear that the SANFL football community are voting with their lack of attendance to matches.

exactly MT79. crowds are plummeting, memberships seem to be doing the same thing, it seems it is a much wider dissatifaction than just "the small number of people on this forum".... (which is also bullshit, this is the biggest and best footy forum in this state)

"wider football community" reads as "afl fans". footy is about more than afl, a hell of a lot more. but i guess it is a bit hard to see that from the good seats at adelaide oval. the sanfl should not be ****** over to benefit the afl. how about youdetail the benefit to the "wider football community" of keeping the reserves sides in the sanfl. i bet i can counter every point that you try to put forward.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:36 am

surprisingly since the attendance thread was started a number of the pro-reserves posters have gone MIA.

They must be devastated about the thought of the reserves teams being booted out!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby UK Fan » Wed May 13, 2015 10:37 am

Great job Kris Grant.

YIELD TO NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont be afraid to contact the club and show Kris your support 8255 2555.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby stan » Wed May 13, 2015 10:37 am

There is no benefit of having the reserve teams in the SANFL to the SANFL. The benefit is to the AFL sides that have there list play together each week. This is a business arrangement in which the AFL teams pay a fee for.

So we can put to bed this wider football public argument.

Now where to from here? Thats the issue that needs to be resolved. With attendances down you can start to get the picture that this is well liked even if you have your head underwater. So what to do? Well im not sure really, I certainly wouldn't trust my club with any ideas or to do anything as it has the integrity of Stephen Rowe.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed May 13, 2015 10:38 am

I reckon attendances would go up by simply not scheduling games on Saturday afternoon. The "wider football community" are playing for or watching local clubs at this time...and not seeing "18 man presses"
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby tipper » Wed May 13, 2015 10:45 am

Rising Power wrote:Kris Grant wanting to review the conditions too. Perhaps one rule could be mandatory resting of emergency listed players in the last quarter.

or enforce the rule from way back in 2013, emergency listed players werent allowed to play in the SANFL at all, unless the sanfl game was after the afl game and they didnt get the call up. seemed to work fine then.....
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:51 am

Just get rid of the intruders, make entry fees $10 and promote the league as an AFL alternative and try some differant timeslots or maybe even some double headers. That would bring in more than enough people to cover the costs of the $50k they give.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL