South and Norwood swap home games.

All discussions to do with the SANFL

South and Norwood swap home games.

Postby DOC » Wed May 06, 2015 10:55 am

The Round 7 match between South Adelaide and Norwood will now be played under lights at Coopers Stadium from 7.40pm on Friday May 15.

The Round 15 game between South Adelaide and Norwood will now be played at Hickinbotham Oval from 2.10pm on Sunday July 26.

‘’Following the failure of light towers at the game scheduled last Saturday night between South Adelaide and Adelaide at Hickinbotham Oval, a decision has been made not to program further night games at South Adelaide’s home ground in 2015,’’ SANFL General Manager Football Adam Kelly said.

“South Adelaide provided details of its maintenance schedule which included an inspection of the light towers by a qualified professional on the eve of the season. Until the issue causing the light towers to fail can be rectified, the SANFL and South Adelaide won’t take any risk with the scheduling of night games at Noarlunga.

“The Round 7 and Round 15 fixture changes have been agreed to by the South Adelaide and Norwood Football Clubs.”

ROUND 7 – Friday May 15
Norwood v South Adelaide (Coopers Stadium) 7.40pm

ROUND 15 – Sunday July 26
South Adelaide v Norwood (Hickinbotham Oval) 2.10pm
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 735 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Re: South and Norwood swap home games.

Postby oldblueeyes » Wed May 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Norwood have guaranteed the lights will not fail ?
oldblueeyes

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby heater31 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:53 pm

oldblueeyes wrote:Norwood have guaranteed the lights will not fail ?

Guess we will find out on the 15th ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed May 06, 2015 1:05 pm

Seems to make sense.

The SANFL should fund lighting at all the league grounds including upgrading those that already have them. How much would it cost to do them all, under $1.2m. It shouldn't matter whether the grounds are council owned or not. Another opportunity to host night games when there's no AFL competition.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby heater31 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:08 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Seems to make sense.

The SANFL should fund lighting at all the league grounds including upgrading those that already have them. How much would it cost to do them all, under $1.2m. It shouldn't matter whether the grounds are council owned or not. Another opportunity to host night games when there's no AFL competition.

Does the Football League or Premier League provide cash to clubs to upgrade their facilities or is it expected the these upgrades are paid for from the money each club receives for TV rights?
heater31

Postby johntheclaret » Wed May 06, 2015 1:15 pm

heater31 wrote:

Does the Football League or Premier League provide cash to clubs to upgrade their facilities or is it expected the these upgrades are paid for from the money each club receives for TV rights?

Don't know but I'd suspect not?

Ah just twigged. Not they don't. There was some assistance a few years ago after Hillsborough but when you are earning between £65m - £105m a year I guess it's reasonable for you to maintain your own stadium. You can add to that revenue from ticket sales, hospitality, advertising, merchdise and sponsorship which at the lowest league level would outstrip any SANFL club. It's totally different though and you aren't comparing apples for apples.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby o five » Wed May 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Do they have birds down there eating the wiring in the lights also?
Could this also be the end of night footy at Polar Park just like night footy at Lizbeff?
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby heater31 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:38 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Ah just twigged. Not they don't. There was some assistance a few years ago after Hillsborough but when you are earning between £65m - £105m a year I guess it's reasonable for you to maintain your own stadium. You can add to that revenue from ticket sales, hospitality, advertising, merchdise and sponsorship which at the lowest league level would outstrip any SANFL club. It's totally different though and you aren't comparing apples for apples.

For the top tier leagues yes. But what about the League 2 clubs and those top level semi professional clubs? Do they get assistance?

The SANFL doesn't have any spare cash as it's servicing loans it took out to help out a top level club it once owned that couldn't run a chook raffle
heater31

Postby johntheclaret » Thu May 07, 2015 1:41 am

heater31 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
heater31 wrote:

For the top tier leagues yes. But what about the League 2 clubs and those top level semi professional clubs? Do they get assistance?

The SANFL doesn't have any spare cash as it's servicing loans it took out to help out a top level club it once owned that couldn't run a chook raffle

But it is still not the same. Those lower tier clubs can make it to the top tiers. Look at Bournemouth this year. Even City, Leicester, Southampton and Burnley can be glad of the pyramid system. In essence everyone has a chance of the big $$$$.

Don't the SANFL get a percentage of the takings from AO, along with the sale of FP, the sale of the AFL licences, etc. I don't really know but I would be surprised if the SANFL are broke. If they are like any other sports governing body they will have plenty of revenue stashed away. I thought they paid off the AFL borrowings?

I don't really know and I am just assuming, but what other costs do they incur? Surely, whatever money they are making should be put back into 'their' league. Some of it is filtering back as debt relief but it is a small proportion of the total FP sale and whilst I am all for revenue flowing back into the SANFL Club's coffers, I think there is a lot of work the SANFL could be also be doing to help promote the league by improving the "experience" of the fans.
Whether it is improved Light Towers, better Toilet and Bar facilities, better prices and offers, free kids, etc. all aimed at getting fans and future fans back through the turnstiles for the SANFL as a whole.

I know it is up to each individual club to promote itself and encourage membership and so on, but I would have thought it is in the interests of the SANFL hierarchy to ensure the future sustainability of its own league. Maybe being a bit more independent would be a start.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby JK » Thu May 07, 2015 7:20 am

oldblueeyes wrote:Norwood have guaranteed the lights will not fail ?

Maybe South have guaranteed theirs will, again
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Panther Pack » Thu May 07, 2015 11:17 am

Looking forward to getting to the Parade next week always enjoy night games there.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Board index   Football  SANFL