Central District on the move?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Central District on the move?

Postby Big Phil » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... b253f1354f

CENTRAL District Football Club might be on the move.

The club is in early discussions with Playford Council about the possibility of building a new clubroom on Main North Rd in Elizabeth.

The move from the club’s base on Goodman Rd to vacant land between Fairfield and Ridley roads, opposite Spruance Oval, would cement it in the heart of the council’s planned $55 million sports precinct.

What do you think of Central District’s potential move? Leave your comment below.

The club would continue to play games and train at Playford Alive Oval, on Goodman Rd, but its clubroom, including its restaurant, pokies, function rooms and administration, would move to the more prominent Main North Rd location.

Central District chief executive Kris Grant said the plan to move to the council-owned site was only in its infancy.

“It’s just an idea, depending on what happens with the sporting precinct,” he said.

No details such as costs, building plans and time frames have been determined.

Playford general manager Mal Hemmerling said it was “early days yet” and the land in question was not earmarked for sale for another 12 months.

“There’s a whole range of people that are interested in this piece of land,” he said.

It was unclear what would become of Central’s current base, Grand Central, on Goodman Rd.

If Central District goes through with the plan, it would follow in the footsteps of other clubs, such as North Adelaide, Sturt and Woodville-West Torrens, whose licensed premises are located away from their game and training oval.

The proposed new Central District clubroom would be in front of Adelaide United soccer club’s new headquarters and next to a planned 22-court tennis complex.

Adelaide United announced in September it had struck a deal with Playford to move to Ridley Reserve, potentially by April.

Games would still be played at Coopers Stadium, formerly Hindmarsh Stadium.

Construction of the first stage of the council’s planned sports precinct will likely begin in August.

The $17.3 million stage includes a bowling centre, the tennis complex and walking and cycling trails.

A council report says it would create more than 100 jobs and inject more than $35 million into the local economy.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Re: Central District on the move?

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:06 pm

It would then be aligned with the Adelaide United training base, (there administration is being based in the old Aquadome offices at the old entry) which is going to be built down at the Philip Highway end of Ridley Reserve

Off topic but one of the many rumours getting around surronding Uniteds move to Elizabeth is that the FFA have asked them to really capture a region as the 5-10 year plan is to have a second Adelaide A-League side

Could be a huge sporting precint
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5602 times
Been liked: 2535 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Been reading up about it. Should be great for the area.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Pag » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:21 pm

whufc wrote:It would then be aligned with the Adelaide United training base, (there administration is being based in the old Aquadome offices at the old entry) which is going to be built down at the Philip Highway end of Ridley Reserve

Off topic but one of the many rumours getting around surronding Uniteds move to Elizabeth is that the FFA have asked them to really capture a region as the 5-10 year plan is to have a second Adelaide A-League side

Disappointing that the Saturday morning primary school footy competition that currently runs at Ridley Reserve may be completely shunted to make room for this. Not sure how that is really helping the community.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:53 pm

Pag wrote:
whufc wrote:It would then be aligned with the Adelaide United training base, (there administration is being based in the old Aquadome offices at the old entry) which is going to be built down at the Philip Highway end of Ridley Reserve

Disappointing that the Saturday morning primary school footy competition that currently runs at Ridley Reserve may be completely shunted to make room for this. Not sure how that is really helping the community.

Adelaide United are putting thousands of dollars into helping youth in the Northern suburbs, apparently they are pumping money into both soccer related and non soccer related programs

Apparently United are funding half there redevelopment, apparently one of the pubs they own has been a gold mine

I do fear the rise of United in the north may hinder Centrals chance of building a future fan base though

Not sure where the rose and crown cricket club will move to maybe Spruance road,
whufc
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:33 pm

Very interesting. I think a move by choice can only be good. Kris Grant and the club would not willingly move unless they saw a clear advantage and new facilities are always a bonus, especially if there is some form of co-operation with Adelaide United.

I don't see any issue with struggling to gain fans with United in the area. The seasons don't match up for a start and if anything, the exposure from being in close proximity can only attract new fans.

Don't think Spruance will be an option for R&C. Spruance is already being used for cricket isn't it? Are Rose & Crown going to need new clubrooms? Wasn't all that long ago they got their current ones going. If so, the soccer club there might have something to say.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:57 pm

I think Centrals are in a bit of trouble. As soon as you move away from your base it spells trouble. No rooms at all on site is how I read it.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:22 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:I think Centrals are in a bit of trouble. As soon as you move away from your base it spells trouble. No rooms at all on site is how I read it.

I disagree. North went from having no money at all to a position of some wealth by moving their gaming operations from the club to a main road position.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 231 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby dedja » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:47 pm

agree with RIG ... Central would be stupid not to consider the opportunity if whatever needs to make it happens eventuates.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 1002 times

Postby Big Phil » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:39 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:I think Centrals are in a bit of trouble...

ALL of the SANFL clubs are in trouble, financially. It is a sign of the times, isn't it?
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:27 am

dedja wrote:agree with RIG ... Central would be stupid not to consider the opportunity if whatever needs to make it happens eventuates.

Agree
whufc
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:27 am

Big Phil wrote:

ALL of the SANFL clubs are in trouble, financially. It is a sign of the times, isn't it?

Finger on the pulse as always
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:30 pm

Big Phil wrote:

Big statement
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3543 times

Postby kickinit » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:17 pm

whufc wrote:
dedja wrote:agree with RIG ... Central would be stupid not to consider the opportunity if whatever needs to make it happens eventuates.

Agree

Couldn't agree more. Central's current clubrooms are pushed back away from main north road. Moving it out to main north road will increase exposure, it will also separate it from the footy oval. Separating it from the footy oval invites non footy followers to see it more as a restaurant then a footy club. As long as they offer good meals at good prices they won't have a problem.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Grahaml » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:36 pm

kickinit wrote:
whufc wrote:

Agree

Couldn't agree more. Central's current clubrooms are pushed back away from main north road. Moving it out to main north road will increase exposure, it will also separate it from the footy oval. Separating it from the footy oval invites non footy followers to see it more as a restaurant then a footy club. As long as they offer good meals at good prices they won't have a problem.

As I understand, while it's certainly closer to the Main North Road than it currently is, the rooms still won't quite be on it. There are currently a lot of ovals so it would depend a lot on where they were to build. Right on Fairfield you'd spot it from the main road but I imagine United will want the prime position. If they're looking at going all the way past Harvey road and to Philip Highway, that end might be better than being stuck in the middle.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:37 am

I'm only going by the article which says on main north road
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Grahaml wrote:
kickinit wrote:
whufc wrote:

Agree

As I understand, while it's certainly closer to the Main North Road than it currently is, the rooms still won't quite be on it. There are currently a lot of ovals so it would depend a lot on where they were to build. Right on Fairfield you'd spot it from the main road but I imagine United will want the prime position. If they're looking at going all the way past Harvey road and to Philip Highway, that end might be better than being stuck in the middle.

Adelaide United are setting up their pitches and club rooms exactly where the Rose & Crown cricket club is down at the Philip Highway End of Ridley Reserve

The area Centrals are looking at is directly opposite Spruance road on the Main North Road on the bit of land where people can practise golf chipping etc
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:07 pm

The master plan also mentions something about having cricket at Elizabeth oval. Maybe rose and crown move there?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:The master plan also mentions something about having cricket at Elizabeth oval. Maybe rose and crown move there?

Potentially

Otherwise if there putting a turf wicket in we may see Central Districts- Penfield move there, there currently playing on Argana Park

Central District CC was made out of the footballers from Centrals and has had blokes such as Roy Laird, Ian Callinan, Eddy Sansbury and both the Gowans play for them at various stages
whufc
Coach

Postby o five » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:11 pm

So what happens to the existing complex? Bulldozed, Sold, Rented out? Seems a huge waste of a very fine venue. :(
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL