Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:25 am

bennymacca wrote:just went to the blacksmiths inn for a work lunch. had a seafood basket. price was a little higher than i would have liked at $27 but it was nice enough. would recommend.

Owners are brilliant as well!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5593 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:36 am

Had dinner at the Warradale last night, hadn't been there for years so was impressed with how done up the place is. Meals are a bit on the pricey side, but our group of 20 odd all seemed impressed with their feeds.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Psyber » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:56 am

I attended a Xmas dinner with a group at the Edinburgh in Mitcham recently.
Undercooked turkey, served lukewarm, and a small brandied Xmas Pudding for $35 a head.
I doubt I'd go there again.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby HH3 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:03 am

I went to a function at the Willunga Golf Course on Sunday.

We paid $25 a head, which got us our meals. The choices were beef, chicken or fish.

I got the chicken. **** all meat, some weird sauce and a heap of rissoto made 90% of salt. 2/10

The missus got the beef. **** all meat. Drowned in gravy, with pureed pumpkin, which was mixing with the gravy because they were the same consistancy. I was informed it was f**kingshit/10

The fish looked ok, but I didnt ask about that.

For $25, I would've thought some chips, or maybe some actual veg with the beef would've been a given. I can go to other places and get proper meals WITH a buffet for less.

Pretty terrible. And I had to watch other people suck at golf from inside, on a beautiful day. I wanted to be out there, sucking at golf with them.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Haven't been to the TTG hotel since the renovations? Has anyone on here given it a crack this year and if so is it worth the trip?
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Q. » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:49 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Haven't been to the TTG hotel since the renovations? Has anyone on here given it a crack this year and if so is it worth the trip?

Haven't been yet, but I'm hearing very good things.

Put it this way, the food was deadset average beforehand...now it's worth going there just for that.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Q. wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Haven't been to the TTG hotel since the renovations? Has anyone on here given it a crack this year and if so is it worth the trip?

Put it this way, the food was deadset average beforehand...now it's worth going there just for that.

Went there one Tuesday early last winter and thought food was OK albeit a little pricey but the 2 for 1 Ent book voucher made it worth the journey. Highlight was gay bloke that served us, flirty bastard he was :D

Worth the chance as we are up that way and the Modbury hotel has never been above average in the 4 visits I have had there in the last 4 years.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Pag » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:20 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Q. wrote:

Went there one Tuesday early last winter and thought food was OK albeit a little pricey but the 2 for 1 Ent book voucher made it worth the journey. Highlight was gay bloke that served us, flirty bastard he was :D

Worth the chance as we are up that way and the Modbury hotel has never been above average in the 4 visits I have had there in the last 4 years.

Haven't been to the new Gully yet but if your up our way try the Blue Gums on Hancock Rd mate, new beer garden and menu with top food.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:30 am

Pag wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
Q. wrote:

Haven't been to the new Gully yet but if your up our way try the Blue Gums on Hancock Rd mate, new beer garden and menu with top food.

Wish I had of read this before going to the TTG hotel. Scathing revue to follow.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:53 am

So went to the TTG hotel last night and the food was how can I put it eloquently... f@cken sh@t!!!

To be fair to the establishment I will play the compliment sandwich game in my revue.

Service was good and we received a table without booking
- My chicken schnitzel was half flat and the other half pointing at the roof from being over-cooked. All flavour had subsequently been removed from the meal and I didn't even eat half of it
I thought the salad and veg bar where OK with the potato bake very good
- The mushroom sauce was the worst I have ever tasted. It came in a gravy boat and it was so thick It would not pour. I added half a glass of water and still had a consistency of porridge
The rolls were nice and fresh

Entertainment book meant the meals cost us a total of $18
- Mrs Wristy ordered what was rumoured to be fish. Like my schnitzel it was twisted and mangled and all flavour was gone. It was gross
After dinner we had a dabble on the Pokes and won $4 and upon departure the restaurant was full

The dining experience gets a 3/10 and that's being generous.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:11 am

Hopefully they are just experiencing some teething issues, given they are our new club sponsor and we'll be eating there quite a bit!
Q.
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:20 am

If anything, go for the nice & fresh bread rolls and the potato bake which was very good :lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5489 times
Been liked: 5131 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:24 am

Ha!

Think ima go there for breakfast.
Q.
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:35 am

Q. wrote:Hopefully they are just experiencing some teething issues, given they are our new club sponsor and we'll be eating there quite a bit!

The problems are fixable but pretty disappointing to stuff up something so simple. How far is that from Houghton?
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:41 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Q. wrote:Hopefully they are just experiencing some teething issues, given they are our new club sponsor and we'll be eating there quite a bit!

The problems are fixable but pretty disappointing to stuff up something so simple. How far is that from Houghton?

Couple of minutes away. Just keep driving up North-east rd until you turn off onto Houghton Hollow rd.
Q.
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Chick at work's partner is an owner of Napoli Pizza Bar at Mile End so we had our Work Christmas lunch there yesterday. Was expecting your standard Pizza shop fare, but the food was exceptional. Crumbed mash Potato, and Crumbed Risotto balls greeted us along with large antipasto platters. Entree was a choice of either a Tomato based Chicken Pasta or Duck Mince Ravioli (which was freakin awesome). For Mains we were treated with huge platters of Salt n Pepper Squid and Roast Pork Belly (on a bed of Asparagus, Brocollini and Rosemary Potatoes). There was a selection of different Wood Oven Pizza's too, but I was too full to give them a crack. Desert was a choice of Tiramasu or Panacotta which again I skipped out on, but everyone raved about.

Food was outstanding, service brilliant and very friendly, and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

(As an aside we all ventured to the Wheatsheaf afterward. My first time there, top pub!!)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Stumps » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:21 am

Best pub in Adelaide
1. Wheaty
2 daylight

Sounds a great day JK
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby JK » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:23 am

Stumps wrote:Best pub in Adelaide
1. Wheaty
2 daylight

Sounds a great day JK

Was top day mate, yesterday was a struggle that's for sure!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:00 am

Heard very good things about the Wheaty.
I think they hold homebrew days at the pub.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11858 times
Been liked: 3603 times

Postby Q. » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:32 pm

I feel compelled to write this after wristy's scathing review.

Went the The Gully PH&G today for lunch, sat in the beer garden in one of the booths on the top floor. Had the Panko Crumbed Chicken Breast (basically a chicken parmi) and it was perfectly cooked, thick and juicy. Pretty standard taste-wise. The other three I was with had the soba noodles, prawn bucket and barossa lamb pizza and all of them really enjoyed their meals.

My only complaint was it was pretty hot sitting on that top floor and they didn't have enough people working the bars on a busy Sunday arvo.
Q.
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion