Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby bennymacca » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 am

Went to TGs in the Stamford last night, hey have a seafood buffet on Fridays and Saturdays. Have to say the food was quite nice, though for the price it is extortion. I think the normal price is $55 big they charged $70 at Christmas apparently. Entertainment card brought that down a bit but still.

Wasn't my choice to go there and I certainly won't be going back. 4/10
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Hazbeen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:01 am

If anyone is planning a weekender in the Clare valley you must go to Seed, the new wine bar/modern Italian place, had my wife's work show there Wednesday night and it was amazing. They had booked the entire place bit from what I was told that the food and service are just as good on a regular night. For groups of ten or more you get the same set sharing menu we had headlined by the 12 hour slow cooked lamb and the pork belly. The wine list looked awesome but as it was a winery function we had only their wines but had a heap of Nepoline pear cider which great with the appetisers and entrees before the winery (Killakanoon) brought out the $150 a bottle cab save to go with the mains.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Psyber » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Killakanoon - is that Peter Sanders' winery?
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby grant j » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:10 pm

La Boca at the Stamford

Don't bother 3/10

Can't even cook a simple steak properly.
Mixed vegies consisted of lumpy sweet potato mash and 2 small wedges of corn
grant j
Reserves

Been liked: 9 times

Postby HH3 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:49 pm

Zapatas at North Adelaide.

Went there for the missus's's work do last night.

Decent food and decent price, but no where near as good as Montezumas just down the road.

The taco was pretty average. I make better ones from a packet. The mashed beans was good though.

6/10 compared to 9/10 for Montezumas
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:05 pm

its been a few years since i have been to montezumas but i always thought it was rubbish. may well be better now.

Just went to 1918 in Tanunda, have to say it was some of the best food I have ever eaten in my life. Food was quite pricey, but not too bad - it was $190 for two of us, but that was shared entree, mains, dessert and a bottle of wine. Service was perfect too - not rushed but not slow either, just perfect.

Highly recommend, 10/10
bennymacca
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:42 am

Went to Montezumas in Glenelg tonight, thought the food was great
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Hazbeen » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:23 am

Psyber wrote:Killakanoon - is that Peter Sanders' winery?

I'm not sure, my wife works in cellar door.

Warwick Duthy is the on site "boss" and the chief winemaker is one of the Mitchell's. Their was a board member from Sydney there that made a speech but I didn't meet him.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Psyber » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:33 am

Hazbeen wrote:
Psyber wrote:Killakanoon - is that Peter Sanders' winery?

I'm not sure, my wife works in cellar door.

Warwick Duthy is the on site "boss" and the chief winemaker is one of the Mitchell's. Their was a board member from Sydney there that made a speech but I didn't meet him.

Thanks for the reply.
I was curious because I went to Uni with Peter. He is a GP in Clare and I know he was involved in a winery up that way and I think it started with a K. I haven't seen him since 2007 when our group had a medical school reunion at the Clare Country Club.

The other person I know up there is John Wilson from Polish Hill River.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:57 am

bennymacca wrote:its been a few years since i have been to montezumas but i always thought it was rubbish. may well be better now.

Just went to 1918 in Tanunda, have to say it was some of the best food I have ever eaten in my life. Food was quite pricey, but not too bad - it was $190 for two of us, but that was shared entree, mains, dessert and a bottle of wine. Service was perfect too - not rushed but not slow either, just perfect.

Highly recommend, 10/10

Completely agree with the Montezumas statement. Food looks like slop from the pigs trough. Given it a couple of chances and it's been gross both times. Having said that not a big fan of Mexican food, can't fault their alcohol though.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby JK » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:02 am

wristwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:its been a few years since i have been to montezumas but i always thought it was rubbish. may well be better now.

Highly recommend, 10/10

Completely agree with the Montezumas statement. Food looks like slop from the pigs trough. Given it a couple of chances and it's been gross both times. Having said that not a big fan of Mexican food, can't fault their alcohol though.

I like Cheese as much as the next person, but Montezuma's is too much. Reckon they'd even put Cheese and Oil in the beer if they could. Never again for me.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brodlach » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:30 am

I went there recently and they didn't even sell Coronas (that was the one on Unley road)

I think they are either very good or very bad depending in the night.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Columbo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Good thread this one, had a scan through to look for some new places to go with Mrs Columbo, thought I'd add my two cents worth, most of them are in the Entertainment book.

Albion Hotel - Used to go regularly after renovations a few years back, don't think it's as good these days but still a pretty good selection of pub food and has the salad and veggie bar too.
The Excelsior - Bit pricey without the voucher but never had a bad meal there, staff are pretty relaxed, nice little pub.
Strathmore - Balcony restaurant is nice but Cafe 129 is our preferred option with all the vouchers we get from swapping with friends, never had a bad meal here either, always have stonegrill so cant comment on anything else, love that you place your order, go get a drink and your meal is on the table when you get back to it.
The Woodville - Pretty big renovations going on at the moment, sounds like it will be pretty cool place when its done, prior to that another good stonegrill place, schnitzels weren't bad either not too over priced.
The Brompton - Been twice, had stonegrill both times (adventurous aren't I?) Very nice but you don't get alot with it for what you pay compared to Strathmore and the Woodville.
Brunelli - the best garlic bread as long as its not too thin and crispy, seems they do slightly different menus in the 3 stores now, lots of choices, better than primo, probably a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for. Have been to Glynde one a few times and they have given the EB voucher back...smart move.
Birkenhead Tavern - burgers are good, seafood good, pretty reasonable prices, well worth a visit.

Lighthouse Inn - Had lunch there last Sunday before having a wander at the market, salad and veggie bar were ok, beef schnitzel wasn't flash, crumbs were almost as thick on one side as the bit of beef they covered. Loved the old style pokie machines though.

For anyone heading to Melbourne...
Cafe on Bourke (top end of bourke st near parliament house) - genuine Italian place, not fancy but have the best pizzas.
Margos at Crown - basic menu but goes ok
TGI Fridays on Chapel St - probably the same as all the others but good value with voucher.
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Stumps » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:20 am

Agree re excelsior..decent pub that one..mixed grill the go
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:55 am

Columbo wrote:Good thread this one, had a scan through to look for some new places to go with Mrs Columbo, thought I'd add my two cents worth, most of them are in the Entertainment book.

Albion Hotel - Used to go regularly after renovations a few years back, don't think it's as good these days but still a pretty good selection of pub food and has the salad and veggie bar too.
The Excelsior - Bit pricey without the voucher but never had a bad meal there, staff are pretty relaxed, nice little pub.
Strathmore - Balcony restaurant is nice but Cafe 129 is our preferred option with all the vouchers we get from swapping with friends, never had a bad meal here either, always have stonegrill so cant comment on anything else, love that you place your order, go get a drink and your meal is on the table when you get back to it.
The Woodville - Pretty big renovations going on at the moment, sounds like it will be pretty cool place when its done, prior to that another good stonegrill place, schnitzels weren't bad either not too over priced.
The Brompton - Been twice, had stonegrill both times (adventurous aren't I?) Very nice but you don't get alot with it for what you pay compared to Strathmore and the Woodville.
Brunelli - the best garlic bread as long as its not too thin and crispy, seems they do slightly different menus in the 3 stores now, lots of choices, better than primo, probably a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for. Have been to Glynde one a few times and they have given the EB voucher back...smart move.
Birkenhead Tavern - burgers are good, seafood good, pretty reasonable prices, well worth a visit.

Lighthouse Inn - Had lunch there last Sunday before having a wander at the market, salad and veggie bar were ok, beef schnitzel wasn't flash, crumbs were almost as thick on one side as the bit of beef they covered. Loved the old style pokie machines though.

Cafe on Bourke (top end of bourke st near parliament house) - genuine Italian place, not fancy but have the best pizzas.
TGI Fridays on Chapel St - probably the same as all the others but good value with voucher.

Good revue mate.

Where is excelsior?
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Columbo wrote:Good thread this one, had a scan through to look for some new places to go with Mrs Columbo, thought I'd add my two cents worth, most of them are in the Entertainment book.

Good revue mate.

Where is excelsior?

Brompton mate. They do steaks very well in my experience.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:13 am

Cheers mate, knew I'd seen it as I used to work in Croydon but couldn't place it. Will give it a crack next week.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:45 am

Anyone been to that Hereford place in the city? I have a couple of mates who swear by it, but a different set of friends that reckon it was overpriced and nothing special. Anyone have a review?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:08 pm

The Exelsior used to be decked out in The Phantom colours etc at one stage, not sure if it still is. but the food is very good for a pub!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11854 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:03 pm

just went to the blacksmiths inn for a work lunch. had a seafood basket. price was a little higher than i would have liked at $27 but it was nice enough. would recommend.
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion