Sanderson sacked

Talk on the national game

Re: Sanderson sacked

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:36 pm

They can only be going down one of two paths.

Poaching a current coach who has runs on the board ( Clarkson, Roos, Longmire, Thompson ) or they have a senior assistant in mind for a team approach. Perhaps a Mark Williams and Nathan Basset, Brett Ratten and Stuart Dew etc.

As I said earlier, this is a massive decision for the AFC and might shape their long term not just short term future. One thing for sure, another coach gets booted in 3 years if he hasn't won one then good luck finding anyone to do the job!

Either way you would think Bickley, Camporeale and Clarke should be updating their resumes.

Heard Leigh Mathews say the other night, as part of the group who oversaw the Sanderson appointment, the final 4 was Burns, Sanderson, Bickley and one other....Bickley? :shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:39 pm

cracka wrote:Wow, now that he's been sacked all of a sudden Crow haters are saying Sando was actually a good coach.

No, they are saying he was shit but compared to other available candidates he's Norm flamin Smith.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby cracka » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
cracka wrote:Wow, now that he's been sacked all of a sudden Crow haters are saying Sando was actually a good coach.

No, they are saying he was shit but compared to other available candidates he's Norm flamin Smith.

regards,

REB

Yeah riiiiiiight.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Not I.....been saying this for 18 months Sanderson and his Team went backwards when Dean Bailey wasn't around.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby MW » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:01 pm

If the senior assistant is that important to the sides success maybe the senior assistant should be the senior coach...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:26 pm

MW wrote:If the senior assistant is that important to the sides success maybe the senior assistant should be the senior coach...

True, but you can only have one "head/senior coach" from there the assistants must be ranked, there has to be some order. Senior assistant/strategy, then line coaches.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Grahaml » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Reckon once you decide a bloke isn't going to do the job you need to move on these days. Worked for Collingwood sticking with Tony Shaw until they had someone better lined up but the game is evolving faster than ever. If the next guy turns out the same the club will be in about the same position.

Port were in the same boat a couple years ago, decided Primus wasn't the man and took a punt with an untried coach. The same "wisdom" was doing the rounds, that Port needed an experienced coach. Hindsight is great and now everyone talks like Hinkley was a clear standout but make no mistake, plenty of clubs turned him down and plenty of coaches picked "anyone but Port". If you don't try to change when things are going awry then you're no chance.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:51 pm

Grahaml wrote:Reckon once you decide a bloke isn't going to do the job you need to move on these days. Worked for Collingwood sticking with Tony Shaw until they had someone better lined up but the game is evolving faster than ever. If the next guy turns out the same the club will be in about the same position.

Port were in the same boat a couple years ago, decided Primus wasn't the man and took a punt with an untried coach. The same "wisdom" was doing the rounds, that Port needed an experienced coach. Hindsight is great and now everyone talks like Hinkley was a clear standout but make no mistake, plenty of clubs turned him down and plenty of coaches picked "anyone but Port". If you don't try to change when things are going awry then you're no chance.

I agree with the point in bold Graham- no question.

Concerning Primus v Sanderson- the two are comparable in quite a few ways, but Port's need to change coaches in comparison to Adelaide, differs IMO.

Primus wasn't the man to take us forward- yes, he wasnt given a lot of cattle to work with but could see that he lacked the ability to "announce himself" as a figure of authority within the footy club- and wasn't demanding on the playing group to improve. Port were blinded by a 7 game patch at the end of season 2010 where we won 5 games- but Primus' gameplan was rubbish.

I think Sando this season was reactive in the coaches box- but was crippled via lack of draft talent through the club, lack of pressure in the reserves, and lack of direction in the coaches box. With a first full year in the draft, a revamp of his assistant coaches and line coaches, and employment of a senior assistant- I think Sando would have improved next year and the crows would (they still might anyway) have played finals next year under him.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Yank Man » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:16 pm

MW wrote:If the senior assistant is that important to the sides success maybe the senior assistant should be the senior coach...

Sounds good in theory. If there is any doubt about the senior assistant its at Hawthorn. Clarko gets sick and Brendon (who?) Bolton takes over. He keeps them winning and sticking to structure and the Hawks are now in another GF. Me thinks your right hand needs to be on the very same page you are.

Me, dumb again, Bickley went within a bees of getting the gig over Sando after being the main man when Craigy got 'speared'. He has now been an assistant for a further 3 years in a tough system and no doubt would have had the capacity to dump on Sando's inefficiencies. Most media scribes have said that surely the Crows wouldn't have moved on Sando unless they had their man. Of course they had there man and he was right in their own backyard. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Mr Beefy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:55 am

Maybe the senior assistants dont have the motivation to be fronting the media etc but still want to be coach. Let the young buck do the hard yards and be the scapegoat should that time come. They have been there done that.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby dedja » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Clarko will be coming over as soon as he sobers up ... :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby smac » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:07 pm

No he won't.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby dedja » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:10 pm

derrrr
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby smac » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Outstanding wit.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby NFC » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:31 pm

If Bickley is our next coach, I am done.

Seriously I'm done.

Thankfully I don't think we'd be that stupid.
NFC
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Chuck Wepner » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:49 pm

NFC wrote:If Bickley is our next coach, I am done.

Seriously I'm done.

Beggars can't be choosers.. :lol:
I say no to drugs, but they don’t listen.
Chuck Wepner
Under 16s

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: United Yeelanna

Postby kickinit » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:14 pm

NFC wrote:If Bickley is our next coach, I am done.

Seriously I'm done.

At the moment it looks like you might not have much choice.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Brodlach » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:05 pm

Bickley, not the last man standing, the right man standing ;) ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby stan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:27 pm

Brodlach wrote:Bickley, not the last man standing, the right man standing ;) ;)

Lol, please oh please make Bickley your next coach.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby GWW » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:41 am

Who are the other options? Bassett? Tudor?

I assume Burns has counted himself out, as haven't heard much recent media speculation about him.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL