The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:09 pm

Exactly, I can understand it but its not a pleasant experience and takes some joy of football away watching a bloke like Sam Colqhourn playing against us especially considering the club is absolutely 'powerless' to stop this from happening and the remuneration isn't nescisarrly reflective of their importance to the SANFL club they have been taken from.

And now for it to happen via a tv show is a further kick in the guts
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Rising Power » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:28 pm

johntheclaret wrote:I think the real issue is that prior to this year, SANFL players drafted by Port or Adelaide would either play in the AFL or play in the SANFL with their original club. There wasn't a situation where draftees would play against their original club.

It's not about players getting drafted, or inhibiting their progress to the AFL. I suspect what many SANFL fans, and possibly SANFL clubs, find galling is that they may have a player develop through the ranks only to be drafted by Port or Adelaide and end up playing against them for the AFL Reserve side.

Port and Crows fans won't understand what the problem is with this as they don't experience the draft process. Any other player movements, either in the SANFL or AFl are via transfers and trades, and are usually accepted as being in the best interests of both club and / or player.

I think Mal's concept of a Global AFL was his way of trying to illustrate how unfair Port would view it if a other club could draft one of their players who then played against them and they were powerless (no pun intended) to do anything about it. (Apologies Mal if I appear to be speaking for you)

Personally, I've never understood the idea of "drafting" players, an American concept adopted by the AFL and I'm not sure it is the best fit for Australian Rules Football with the structure in place. State leagues such as the SANFL, WAFL and, at one time, the VFL are not college football leagues. They are a whole level above that and to treat them as though they are just college football leagues is an insult to every club in those leagues. Still that is another issue altogether.

Maybe as a compromise, whilst we have the AFL Reserves in the SANFL, players drafted by either Port or Adelaide aren't allowed to play against their original SANFL club. So in this instance whilst Wagner plays for Port, he can't play for Port Reserves against Centrals. If he was in the Reserves for that particular week, then he would have to sit the game out.

Port supporters know what it's like to have Port players playing against us...current players Levi Greenwood, Scott Lycett, Lindsay Thomas, Sean Lemmens, Terry Milera, Scott Thompson. We love the sentimentality of the Power recruiting Magpies players (Sam Gray, Brad Ebert) but we can't have them all and need to build a list to win AFL premierships. I know this is a bit different to what you're talking about but we do get that feeling of 'our' players playing against 'us'. We just deal with it.

Re the compromise, I thought it would've been ok to do this as a transition phase (like in the WAFL) but eventually it would be a pointless exercise as some of the players are playing under one game plan (and learning each other's style of play as team mates) and a bunch of others are playing a bunch of others, penalised because they're from SA. Come to think of it, we've had our own players playing against each other in the same competition for years, how silly is that?!
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Rising Power wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:I think the real issue is that prior to this year, SANFL players drafted by Port or Adelaide would either play in the AFL or play in the SANFL with their original club. There wasn't a situation where draftees would play against their original club.

It's not about players getting drafted, or inhibiting their progress to the AFL. I suspect what many SANFL fans, and possibly SANFL clubs, find galling is that they may have a player develop through the ranks only to be drafted by Port or Adelaide and end up playing against them for the AFL Reserve side.

Port and Crows fans won't understand what the problem is with this as they don't experience the draft process. Any other player movements, either in the SANFL or AFl are via transfers and trades, and are usually accepted as being in the best interests of both club and / or player.

I think Mal's concept of a Global AFL was his way of trying to illustrate how unfair Port would view it if a other club could draft one of their players who then played against them and they were powerless (no pun intended) to do anything about it. (Apologies Mal if I appear to be speaking for you)

Personally, I've never understood the idea of "drafting" players, an American concept adopted by the AFL and I'm not sure it is the best fit for Australian Rules Football with the structure in place. State leagues such as the SANFL, WAFL and, at one time, the VFL are not college football leagues. They are a whole level above that and to treat them as though they are just college football leagues is an insult to every club in those leagues. Still that is another issue altogether.

Maybe as a compromise, whilst we have the AFL Reserves in the SANFL, players drafted by either Port or Adelaide aren't allowed to play against their original SANFL club. So in this instance whilst Wagner plays for Port, he can't play for Port Reserves against Centrals. If he was in the Reserves for that particular week, then he would have to sit the game out.

Port supporters know what it's like to have Port players playing against us...current players Levi Greenwood, Scott Lycett, Lindsay Thomas, Sean Lemmens, Terry Milera, Scott Thompson. We love the sentimentality of the Power recruiting Magpies players (Sam Gray, Brad Ebert) but we can't have them all and need to build a list to win AFL premierships. I know this is a bit different to what you're talking about but we do get that feeling of 'our' players playing against 'us'. We just deal with it.

Re the compromise, I thought it would've been ok to do this as a transition phase (like in the WAFL) but eventually it would be a pointless exercise as some of the players are playing under one game plan (and learning each other's style of play as team mates) and a bunch of others are playing a bunch of others, penalised because they're from SA. Come to think of it, we've had our own players playing against each other in the same competition for years, how silly is that?!

Port supporters will never understand. You have a team in the AFL and that is your priority. It is in your interests to see the SANFL compromised so that it supports your AFL program. So you lost a few players - that's no different to my club when they have a big clean out to try and rebuild.
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Rising Power » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Dog Day Afternoon wrote:Port supporters will never understand. You have a team in the AFL and that is your priority. It is in your interests to see the SANFL compromised so that it supports your AFL program. So you lost a few players - that's no different to my club when they have a big clean out to try and rebuild.

I rest my case.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Rising Power wrote:

I haven't been able to find the SANFL games that these guys played against the magpies anywhere? I hope you realise that the SANFL and the AFL are different sporting organisations.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby matt35 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:55 pm

To have a crack at answering Mal's question:

For me it's a bit of a tricky one, because circumstances have meant that I have had the ability to attend far more games this year than I have been able to in a number of years. So while I certainly have always followed the competition, I have been in a far better position this year to attend games and to follow my SANFL club than I have been in some years. So the question is probably better directed to someone who was equally engaged in both years.

Having said that, I have thoroughly enjoyed the competition this year, as has my partner, and we'll be attending Sunday and regularly next year.

I guess what I have found frustrating on here is, not that people have opinions, even strong opinions about the direction of the competition, but some of the absolute nonsense doom and gloom, conspiracy theories and talking down of the competition, even when the evidence does not support the arguments being put.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Rising Power » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:00 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:I haven't been able to find the SANFL games that these guys played against the magpies anywhere? I hope you realise that the SANFL and the AFL are different sporting organisations.

Oh sorry I didn't realise that, my bad. Feel better now?
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby Rising Power » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:10 pm

matt35 wrote:To have a crack at answering Mal's question:

For me it's a bit of a tricky one, because circumstances have meant that I have had the ability to attend far more games this year than I have been able to in a number of years. So while I certainly have always followed the competition, I have been in a far better position this year to attend games and to follow my SANFL club than I have been in some years. So the question is probably better directed to someone who was equally engaged in both years.

Having said that, I have thoroughly enjoyed the competition this year, as has my partner, and we'll be attending Sunday and regularly next year.

I guess what I have found frustrating on here is, not that people have opinions, even strong opinions about the direction of the competition, but some of the absolute nonsense doom and gloom, conspiracy theories and talking down of the competition, even when the evidence does not support the arguments being put.

Good post. As I mentioned earlier Aspley, a team from Queensland who would only be marginally better (if at all) than Div 1 SAAFL won the NEAFL flag, beating the Sydney Swans who were boasting the likes of Ryan O'Keefe and a host of other full time professionals and academy players. Port Adelaide has lost to everyone but the Eagles and North this year and it wouldn't be surprised if we copped a flogging in the GF. Going into next year, another crop of 18 year olds will come in to replace a few guys in their mid 20s who haven't developed to be consistently of AFL standard. That will peg Port (and Crows) back a little further.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Think it great Wagner has been rookie-listed by Port. One less spot to potential draft an Eagles player.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:53 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Think it great Wagner has been rookie-listed by Port. One less spot to potential draft an Eagles player.

You're actually wrong mate, no Eagles player qualifies as a category B rookie
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby sjt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Rising Power wrote:

Wow, the above really says a lot. Pretty simple, if a player gets drafted by an afl team they shouldn't be playing against their SANFL team. Not only does it weaken the sanfl side it strengthens the professionals. The farce continues.
If Boyd, templeton, o'sullivan, hardy, Hayes, McKinnon, coulter, Kreig, trigg, Connelly, hart, etc etc or even westhoff are playing against us, so be it that's what happens, but when players get drafted into the afl they should not be playing against their sanfl club.
One thing this reserves crap has done is got a lot of my "port supporter " mates mentioning the sanfl for the first time in 15 years. Not that it benefits the sanfl in any way.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby sjt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Rising Power wrote:

Classic Brad Ebert, Sam Gray "but we can't have them all". So what have you got about two or three "magpies" players on your list.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 pm

sjt wrote:
Rising Power wrote:

Classic Brad Ebert, Sam Gray "but we can't have them all". So what have you got about two or three "magpies" players on your list.

2 Port juniors. 5 Eagles juniors, 3 Sturt, 2 Central and Glenelg and 1 from North and Norwood.

Port got its brand out to AFL football. The rest of the SANFL clubs didn't. Now we're relegated to being beaten by a Port Adelaide Reserves team full of players not from Port Adelaide in a competition that has disintegrated to a rubbish feeder competition.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Aerie wrote:Port got its brand out to AFL football. The rest of the SANFL clubs didn't. Now we're relegated to being beaten by a Port Adelaide Reserves team full of players not from Port Adelaide in a competition that has disintegrated to a rubbish feeder competition.

=D>
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby smac » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Aerie wrote:
sjt wrote:
Rising Power wrote:

2 Port juniors. 5 Eagles juniors, 3 Sturt, 2 Central and Glenelg and 1 from North and Norwood.

Port got its brand out to AFL football. The rest of the SANFL clubs didn't. Now we're relegated to being beaten by a Port Adelaide Reserves team full of players not from Port Adelaide in a competition that has disintegrated to a rubbish feeder competition.

That's it!

It's completely shit house that what we spoke about 18 months ago at the pub has happened. Completely.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Rising Power » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:16 am

I thought that would get a rise out of a few people. Hook, line and sinker haha
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby wild dog » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:24 am

Rising Power wrote:Port supporters know what it's like to have Port players playing against us...current players Levi Greenwood, Scott Lycett, Lindsay Thomas, Sean Lemmens, Terry Milera, Scott Thompson. We love the sentimentality of the Power recruiting Magpies players (Sam Gray, Brad Ebert) but we can't have them all and need to build a list to win AFL premierships. I know this is a bit different to what you're talking about but we do get that feeling of 'our' players playing against 'us'. We just deal with it.

Do you deliberately ignore the issue that the SANFL club is powerless to stop the recruiting of their players who will then, in all likelihood oppose them the following year?
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby UK Fan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:56 am

Rising Power wrote:I thought that would get a rise out of a few people. Hook, line and sinker haha

Wow, that was glorious..............you thought of that fish yourself and managed to see it through to your planned conclusion?

Superb.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Rising Power » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:00 pm

wild dog wrote:
Rising Power wrote:Port supporters know what it's like to have Port players playing against us...current players Levi Greenwood, Scott Lycett, Lindsay Thomas, Sean Lemmens, Terry Milera, Scott Thompson. We love the sentimentality of the Power recruiting Magpies players (Sam Gray, Brad Ebert) but we can't have them all and need to build a list to win AFL premierships. I know this is a bit different to what you're talking about but we do get that feeling of 'our' players playing against 'us'. We just deal with it.

Do you deliberately ignore the issue that the SANFL club is powerless to stop the recruiting of their players who will then, in all likelihood oppose them the following year?

No, I wholeheartedly agree with you, the SANFL clubs are powerless. But it's only ever going to be one or two from any one club at a time. If they're any good they'll play AFL and if they're not they're delisted after 2 or 3 years. So there is a turnover of players being delisted from AFL clubs that can come back and play.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby Rising Power » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:01 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Rising Power wrote:I thought that would get a rise out of a few people. Hook, line and sinker haha

Wow, that was glorious..............you thought of that fish yourself and managed to see it through to your planned conclusion?

Superb.

Thankyou, I'm performing all week. Please come again.
Rising Power
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL