Sanderson sacked

Talk on the national game

Re: Sanderson sacked

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:04 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Chapman - says the last 2 seasons were unacceptable

but you were part of the board who gave him an extension after an unacceptable season.... :oops:

I think he should have been given another year.

but this is great to watch :lol:

Unbelievable comment. He should resign as well
I wonder if he's in Roo's sights now........
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:33 pm

yeah at least we have stopped the moronic dribble from the power media :lol:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:51 pm

Some moronic dribble just can't be stopped. How ever hard one might try.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7497 times
Been liked: 10784 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:03 pm

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8907496

Adelaide would have gone from bad to worse if they didn't sack coach Brenton Sanderson, according to Crows chiefs.

Chairman Rob Champman fronted the media a short time ago to explain the club's motives, revealing the decision was made after a 'robust' end-of-season review in which they agreed they would not accept 'mediocrity'.
"I think Brenton got dealt some poor hands, but it’s more than the win:loss ratio," Chapman said.
"We played out dozens of scenarios but thought the best decision was to part ways with our coach and find someone who can take us to finals... big finals.
"We decided that we mad to make some tough calls to deliver the vision of our fans and club." Adelaide great Mark Ricciuto had earlier taken to radio to confirm senior Crows players were a major factor in the removal of Sanderson.
A senior core of players heavily criticised Sanderson in post-season interviews after the Crows missed the finals for the second year in a row.

"We spoke to all the key people that you need to speak to that the coach has got to have relationships with if it's going to be a successful football club," Ricciuto told Triple M radio on Thursday.

"The players were one of those groups and obviously form part of the reason why he's not there from next year onwards."

Ricciuto, club chairman Rob Chapman, head of football David Noble and board member Andrew Payze were the group that reviewed Sanderson and concluded he must be sacked.

"I'm one of a number of guys that have done a review and come up with a conclusion that we had to move on the coach," Ricciuto said.

"When you do a review and have a look at what has happened and what could happen, you have got to make a decision which is good for the football club.

"And I would say if we didn't make this decision, things could go from bad to worse like they have at other times in the Adelaide Football Club when we have had coaches moved on halfway through a season.

"I know how easily it can unravel."

Asked if Sanderson was a good coach, Ricciuto, a former Crows captain and the club's only Brownlow medallist, replied: "You don't get sacked if you're otherwise, do you.

"He is a good coach in some ways, I feel. He is a good bloke. But to be a good coach you have to be good at a lot of things.

"Win-loss at the end of the day dictates it but it's about getting so many things right in your football club.

"If you want to be a premiership football club or be in the top level of finals for a long period of time, you have to get a lot of things right as a senior coach."

Sanderson was expected to hold a media conference later Thursday.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I can't see Sando having a beer at the Alma to take the edge off things. :shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:11 pm

I wonder if the players will have a say in who the new coach will be
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5592 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:13 pm

They already have.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:30 pm

I appreciate Ricciuto's honesty in that.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:31 pm

well what will happen if the crows miss the finals in the next 2 seasons????
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11855 times
Been liked: 3602 times

Postby Hondo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:38 pm

but you were part of the board who gave him an extension after an unacceptable season.... :oops:

Let's be fair though. Go back to 2013 and Sando has delivered one very good season and one "unacceptable" one. I think most of us would be comfortable with a coach with a 1-1 record in two years being given another go and back in a return to the good season rather than a second unacceptable one.

If people think his sacking now is unfair imagine the reaction if he was sacked this time last year. So I do think a coach with a track record, even only one year's worth, can put up an unacceptable season and get another crack at it. It's happened many, many times before.

I agree be critical in hindsight on the two year extension in 2013 rather than one but according to Caro the extension included performance conditions which, if true, would not have been achieved in 2014.

One glaring black mark is that since the 2012 season when we finished 17-5 the only players of note that left were Kurt Tippett and Bernie Vince. Yes, we lost the draft picks but those draft picks were not part of the 17-5 squad. We have had players to replace Tippett's role like Jenkins and Pods and while they aren't as good as Tippett we shouldn't have gone from top 4 to bottom 8 two years in a row with largely the same players. On the other side, the loss of Tex in 2013 and part of this year didn't help. But again he was playing through the end of this season when I think we were very poor.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:46 pm

My mind is flooded with memories of the likes of Sloane, Dangerfield and other senior media performers giving glowing reports of the "culture" being built under Sanderson and the direction the club was taking. Bullshit?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Hondo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:55 pm

I wonder where Sloane fits into all this. He has become a very important player but not being mentioned in the group that reportedly went to the Board with complaints.

Reported as being Tex, Danger, Brad and Matt Crouch and now I forget the 5th :oops:
Hondo
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Hondo wrote:I wonder where Sloane fits into all this. He has become a very important player but not being mentioned in the group that reportedly went to the Board with complaints.

Reported as being Tex, Danger, Brad and Matt Crouch and now I forget the 5th :oops:

Let the ink dry on your contracts lads, then come back and see us.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Pup » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Gozu wrote:I appreciate Ricciuto's honesty in that.

I reckon Roo is a flog but thats neither here nor there.

When will players be accountable? Sanderson wasn't the only one losing key contests and close battles in the last 6 rounds.

As for the club, and all clubs how is it that they expect loyalty from their players regarding contracts etc yet they are mores than happy to get rid of coaches with 2 years too run.

Interesting to hear Sanderson's take.
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Hondo wrote:

Let's be fair though. Go back to 2013 and Sando has delivered one very good season and one "unacceptable" one. I think most of us would be comfortable with a coach with a 1-1 record in two years being given another go and back in a return to the good season rather than a second unacceptable one.

If people think his sacking now is unfair imagine the reaction if he was sacked this time last year. So I do think a coach with a track record, even only one year's worth, can put up an unacceptable season and get another crack at it. It's happened many, many times before.

I agree be critical in hindsight on the two year extension in 2013 rather than one but according to Caro the extension included performance conditions which, if true, would not have been achieved in 2014.

One glaring black mark is that since the 2012 season when we finished 17-5 the only players of note that left were Kurt Tippett and Bernie Vince. Yes, we lost the draft picks but those draft picks were not part of the 17-5 squad. We have had players to replace Tippett's role like Jenkins and Pods and while they aren't as good as Tippett we shouldn't have gone from top 4 to bottom 8 two years in a row with largely the same players. On the other side, the loss of Tex in 2013 and part of this year didn't help. But again he was playing through the end of this season when I think we were very poor.

I can't understand sacking a coach so quickly. As a player you don't peak till 5-6 years in the system. I reckon coaches do the same. At least Hardwick has been given every chance. I don't think Adelaide could say the same about Sanderson.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Booney wrote:My mind is flooded with memories of the likes of Sloane, Dangerfield and other senior media performers giving glowing reports of the "culture" being built under Sanderson and the direction the club was taking. Bullshit?

They were just sailing on the seas of cheese, just like when Power players were talking up Primus.
It's a thing they have to say.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Pag » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:39 pm

Hondo wrote:I wonder where Sloane fits into all this. He has become a very important player but not being mentioned in the group that reportedly went to the Board with complaints.

Was Walker, Douglas, Dangerfield and the Crouch brothers.

Wasn't Matt Crouch only drafted 12 months ago? Your club really is battling for leadership if you're letting nineteen year-olds with five or six senior games dictate major decisions.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Pag wrote:

Was Walker, Douglas, Dangerfield and the Crouch brothers.

Wasn't Matt Crouch only drafted 12 months ago? Your club really is battling for leadership if you're letting nineteen year-olds with five or six senior games dictate major decisions.

So if Danger was part of it then the rumor on facebook about his agent fielding phone calls to Victorian clubs is bogus? :?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Hondo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:16 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I can't understand sacking a coach so quickly. As a player you don't peak till 5-6 years in the system. I reckon coaches do the same. At least Hardwick has been given every chance. I don't think Adelaide could say the same about Sanderson.

Hardwick is interesting as a comparison. He's had 5 years now and his finals record is two times made it for two losses. So he's been given every chance as you say but what has he got to show for it so far? Not much really for 5 years at it. I think the Crows are trying to avoid a 5 year coach who ultimately doesn't improve the side but gives glimmers of hope with just missing finals or bowing out in week one of the finals, year after year.

Hardwick might deliver a premiership next year and the 6 seasons are vindicated. Or he misses the finals and Richmond are back where they were before he started and they are probably going to look elsewhere.

It's a tough gig no doubt about it.
Hondo
Coach

Postby Special One » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:20 pm

The club captain didn't even know and wasn't involved in the chat. The crows are a divided club now and will be hard to rebuild from now!
Special One
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Roo rings Goody last night to see if he is interested
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11855 times
Been liked: 3602 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL