SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:11 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:
bennymacca wrote:So given the crows have the one of the highest average crowds, why do you think that is? Glenelg fans making sure they see that game over others?

This average crowd figure for Adelaide is THE biggest misrepresentation of numbers I've ever seen! The Bush's would've been proud of it!
Everyone knows their supporters haven't turned up to games, that they claim ownership of other supporters' interest is laughable.

So who are these mystery people that turn up and make the crows the highest drawing team (or at least up there)

They are either crows supporters and your argument is dead, or they are extra supporters from the other team, in which case the argument about these hordes of extra crows supporters getting in for nothing is dead

Which way do you guys want to argue it? Seen it both ways multiple times.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby CUTTERMAN » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:12 am

I did actually ask you once before if
A. You've been to many Adelaide SANFL games.
B. How many Adelaide supporters were there.
I'll at least answer your question, although the answer is so blatantly simple I shouldn't have to.
The supporters are from the host club, people who have been going every week for most of their lives to barrack for their team and hopefully watch a good game of footy. To be fair, from my experience, I should add that at both Adelaide games at Unley I would figure only about 100 were Adelaide supporters and I think that's being generous.
So, Sturt are doing well this year so our supporter numbers are up more than last I'd assume. A normal/average crowd at Unley would be 2500-3000. Against clubs that draw lower crowds (no offence to them) West & South as an example, we'd get about 2000-2500 if they weren't travelling that well. In this case I'd suggest that a healthy majority would be Sturt supporters eg- of a crowd of 2100 against South, 1700-1800 could easily be Sturt supporters.
They're some off the cuff examples. My point is that you only have to make up 300-400 away supporters to get your normal/average crowd.
I'm only going on the games I've seen but others have said the same when Adelaide have played them, they don't turn up. I'd think the regular SANFL supporter is pretty good at guessing crowd size and supporter breakdown.
So for Adelaide to claim this figure is utter bullcrap.
Just to make one thing clear, I follow Adelaide in the AFL. So it's not Adelaide bashing for the sake of it.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:28 am

I went to see one game this year, given I am a centrals supporter I went to the centrals crows game.

I suspect most of the increase in crowd is people like me where there is dual allegiances. When you say "there must have been 100 crows fans" if you are talking pure crows fans I might agree.

I didn't wear crows gear and I didn't really cheer when the crows or centrals scored. It was weird, as I have mentioned in the other thread.

Still, you are using anecdotes to refute actual crowd statistics.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am

bennymacca wrote:I went to see one game this year, given I am a centrals supporter I went to the centrals crows game.

I suspect most of the increase in crowd is people like me where there is dual allegiances. When you say "there must have been 100 crows fans" if you are talking pure crows fans I might agree.

I didn't wear crows gear and I didn't really cheer when the crows or centrals scored. It was weird, as I have mentioned in the other thread.

Do agree on that.
I think next year they should record numbers of actual fans. How hard is it to ask them when they walk through the gate which team they support. Would give us a lot better argument and some ammunition to take back to the SANFL
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:34 am

So what would I say? I have a stronger allegiance to the crows in the afl than I do centrals but it doesn't meant I automatically follow the sanfl crows. Would it be like Facebook? Do I say it's complicated? Haha
bennymacca
Coach

Postby CUTTERMAN » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:36 am

bennymacca wrote:I went to see one game this year, given I am a centrals supporter I went to the centrals crows game.

My 2 anecdotes trump your 1.
:)
To be serious, as I said, most SANFL supporters are pretty good guesses of crowds and the make up of them. Just because colours aren't worn it doesn't mean that you can't get a sense of crowd splits, post goal cheering & general vocal support is a good indication.
I do note you refused to answer how many Adelaide supporters you thought were at the one game you've been to. I'd also have to say I'm surprised that you've only been to one game considering your passion for the pro reserves argument.
Personally, I think it's better than anecdotal that Adelaide supporters aren't turning up.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:37 am

Agree and that's why I think there was such a crap atmosphere, u had one set of supporters who passionately cared and one set who were taking a passing interest.

As I said throughout the debate when it first arised these games will become exactly the same as the VFL does when a standalone plays an AFL reserves unless a tex walker is playing and the crowd only gets excited when his near the ball
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5590 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:40 am

bennymacca wrote:So what would I say? I have a stronger allegiance to the crows in the afl than I do centrals but it doesn't meant I automatically follow the sanfl crows. Would it be like Facebook? Do I say it's complicated? Haha

3 options, team A team B or both. The league won't care about that kind of data though I don't think. I do agree there would be a few dual supporters getting around, I went to the footy with a mate last week who fits that mould ... Poor bastard ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:41 am

Is it worth the Crows trying to involve their cheersquad with the SANFL?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:42 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:

My 2 anecdotes trump your 1.
:)
To be serious, as I said, most SANFL supporters are pretty good guesses of crowds and the make up of them. Just because colours aren't worn it doesn't mean that you can't get a sense of crowd splits, post goal cheering & general vocal support is a good indication.
I do note you refused to answer how many Adelaide supporters you thought were at the one game you've been to. I'd also have to say I'm surprised that you've only been to one game considering your passion for the pro reserves argument.
Personally, I think it's better than anecdotal that Adelaide supporters aren't turning up.

I have never been wholly pro reserves. More like arguing against the people that just think the sky has fallen in. Plenty of valid points made by you guys. Also I did say that I don't think there were many pure crows supporters there.

But for the first time these stats are complicated. There is an intersection in that Venn diagram which is what people are failing to acknowledge
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 am

JK wrote:Is it worth the Crows trying to involve their cheersquad with the SANFL?

Too complicated JK. Can you imagine having to go to cheering practice 4 nights a week, two sets of songs to learn, would they be the 20th Man, who'd make the apricot slice?

Mate, think, just think before you post. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby JK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:45 am

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:Is it worth the Crows trying to involve their cheersquad with the SANFL?

Too complicated JK. Can you imagine having to go to cheering practice 4 nights a week, two sets of songs to learn, would they be the 20th Man, who'd make the apricot slice?

I was trying to find ways to spare them visiting the airport
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby CUTTERMAN » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:56 am

Booney wrote:

Maybe they could participate in a club organised march, or all wear tshirts given away by the club or rip off a soccer clubs pre game sing along.....
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:
Booney wrote:

Maybe they could participate in a club organised march, or all wear tshirts given away by the club or rip off a soccer clubs pre game sing along.....

You should open a brewery mate, selling "Cutterman Bitter"....I'd imagine it'd be dry enough to rip your eyeball back into your head. :lol:

You must be about the only person who can't see the positive impact this has had on the Port Adelaide Footbal Club and in general football in this state at AFL level. People talk about Adelaide Oval, 50,000 go there nearly every week.The pre-match entertainment Port produce is the envy of all clubs in the AFL, many come here to witness it and work out how to copy/recreate it. As it's 2014 not much will be truly "original" anymore.

Then again, me thinking you could see the positives in anything is probably wishful thinking.
Last edited by Booney on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:59 am

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:

I was trying to find ways to spare them visiting the airport

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby CUTTERMAN » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:17 am

Booney wrote:
CUTTERMAN wrote:
Booney wrote:

You should open a brewery mate, selling "Cutterman Bitter"....I'd imagine it'd be dry enough to rip your eyeball back into your head. :lol:

You must be about the only person who can't see the positive impact this has had on the Port Adelaide Footbal Club and in general football in this state at AFL level. People talk about Adelaide Oval, 50,000 go there nearly every week.The pre-match entertainment Port produce is the envy of all clubs in the AFL, many come here to witness it and work out how to copy/recreate it. As it's 2014 not much will be truly "original" anymore.

Then again, me thinking you could see the positives in anything is probably wishful thinking.

If that's all you interpret from my post then it probably says more about you Booney. You assume a fair bit there.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:30 am

bennymacca wrote:So what would I say? I have a stronger allegiance to the crows in the afl than I do centrals but it doesn't meant I automatically follow the sanfl crows. Would it be like Facebook? Do I say it's complicated? Haha

3 options, you would fall into the neutral option. Atleast it would give us more accurate figures.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:32 am

I love the prematch stuff at Port Boon but even you must see the irony that Port were the biggest and loudest opposition against Centrals and their soccer chants at matches yet you now knock off a soccer tradition
Jim05
Coach

Postby CUTTERMAN » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:37 am

Jim05 wrote:I love the prematch stuff at Port Boon but even you must see the irony that Port were the biggest and loudest opposition against Centrals and their soccer chants at matches yet you now knock off a soccer tradition

Do you own a brewery also Jim?
Hohohohohahaha......rolling around in laughter at my humour....hohoho
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:05 pm

Booney wrote:

Post of the year nomination!!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5590 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL