The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Maddawg » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Seriously after all thats gone down this year coming into finals and the Coach saying its not his priority to win the flag and to say this on public record. Wtf is going on, if the SANFL just dont kick the teams out at the end of the season there isnt any hope for the league!!!!!!!
Maddawg
Mini-League

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Hazydog » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:23 pm

What was one of the conditions the AFL reserve clubs had to commit to? Was it "playing to the line"? (Cant remember if that was the exact quote.)

Anyway - the point there is, how do you define what is "playing to the line"? By inserting an ambiguous condition, that cant be exactly defined, makes it difficult to judge whether or not they are fulfilling their obligation doesnt it?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Hazydog wrote:What was one of the conditions the AFL reserve clubs had to commit to? Was it "playing to the line"? (Cant remember if that was the exact quote.)

Anyway - the point there is, how do you define what is "playing to the line"? By inserting an ambiguous condition, that cant be exactly defined, makes it difficult to judge whether or not they are fulfilling their obligation doesnt it?

Not worth the paper it is written on. Exactly what reliance do the SANFL club's place on that statement??
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby tipper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Hazydog wrote:What was one of the conditions the AFL reserve clubs had to commit to? Was it "playing to the line"? (Cant remember if that was the exact quote.)

that was obviously a non-core promise...... they were in campaign mode after all. too bad the club delegates bought it :( (well, most of them did)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby LPH » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Were 'Compromise' & 'Integrity' core promises?
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Funny how the 'negative' 'vocal minority' continue to be proven right about the whole AFL in SANFL debacle
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:56 pm

And the reserves apologists disappear when stories like this come along.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby tipper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:59 pm

RB wrote:And the reserves apologists disappear when stories like this come along.

no, no. they arent "reserves apologists". they just want whats best for football........ :roll: :oops:
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Reddeer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Maddawg wrote:Seriously after all thats gone down this year coming into finals and the Coach saying its not his priority to win the flag and to say this on public record. Wtf is going on, if the SANFL just dont kick the teams out at the end of the season there isnt any hope for the league!!!!!!!

The SANFL is just a practice comp for the AFL intruders. It is as dead as a Dodo
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:21 pm

whufc wrote:Funny how the 'negative' 'vocal minority' continue to be proven right about the whole AFL in SANFL debacle

You rang darling?

Seriously is anyone that surprised? We all knew the comp was **** and the Magpies were ****, do Hocking's comments really change anyone's mind on this?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby tipper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:31 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
whufc wrote:Funny how the 'negative' 'vocal minority' continue to be proven right about the whole AFL in SANFL debacle

You rang darling?

Seriously is anyone that surprised? We all knew the comp was **** and the Magpies were ****, do Hocking's comments really change anyone's mind on this?

wont change most of our minds on here, but maybe, just maybe, some of the people sprouting how good this is for the comp might start to see the light.

not holding my breath though
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:25 pm

I haven't read the recent threads as it's the same old boring argument. To me it's simple, I think both AFL reserves teams should be given the flick for the sake of 50k and I thought it was an initial 1 year term and then reviewed. Could be wrong as i made a mistake once before.

What I do think is disappointing is the attitude of a few that don't go to support their club due to the implementation of the 2 reserves team. Not true supporters and the so called passionate supporters should be embarrassed to attend a game if we get rid of the AFL reserves.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Maddawg » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:21 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:I haven't read the recent threads as it's the same old boring argument. To me it's simple, I think both AFL reserves teams should be given the flick for the sake of 50k and I thought it was an initial 1 year term and then reviewed. Could be wrong as i made a mistake once before.

What I do think is disappointing is the attitude of a few that don't go to support their club due to the implementation of the 2 reserves team. Not true supporters and the so called passionate supporters should be embarrassed to attend a game if we get rid of the AFL reserves.

I will go to every no AFL reserves game and yes I am letting my club down by not going but they let me down by voting yes, they need to see the silent vote or nothing will every change
Maddawg
Mini-League

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby holden78 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:28 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:I haven't read the recent threads as it's the same old boring argument. To me it's simple, I think both AFL reserves teams should be given the flick for the sake of 50k and I thought it was an initial 1 year term and then reviewed. Could be wrong as i made a mistake once before.

The powerbrokers won't get rid of the two AFL cancers now, but one rule needs to be set up now Hocking is on the record with that viewpoint.
Finals only for the 8 SANFL clubs while the Cancers get to play with each other adnauseum after the minor round...... simple ?? :rolleyes:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby mal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:39 am

dedja wrote:No surprises here and no blame on Hocking, his team is just in the wrong place.

Garry Hocking says:

'developing Power players remains his priority'

'winning a (SANFL) premiership will play second fiddle to the main focus of developing AFL players'

'the main thing is to try to get everybody playing really well for the AFL team because they are heading into a finals campaign ... for us that's the main point. Everything else rolls back'

'the main priority is to make sure we win an AFL premiership'

'the key thing is the AFL team ... that's what we have to get right. Then we plot and plan and see what happens (in the SANFL)'

These are fairly typical quotations of a reserves team coach.
The 8 remaining traditional SANFL clubs also have reserves teams, known as the seconds.
One of the main jobs of a seconds coach is to prepare players for the League teams.
Port Reserves are no different.
The great pity is that this is happening in a A grade League by a team belonging in another A grade league.

This attitude is degrading the SANFL competition.
They should be in the comp with the purpose of winning flags.
That was the attitude of the Port Adelaide I knew 1870-2013.

This Dedja post sums up my angst , and represents the views of some others on this site.
That being, they don't belong, and they are degrading the competition.

Please please please can we have a Port Adelaide team in the SANFL not affiliated with the AFL Port Power team.
This comp is not the same without them.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby stan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am

mal wrote:
dedja wrote:No surprises here and no blame on Hocking, his team is just in the wrong place.

Garry Hocking says:

'developing Power players remains his priority'

'winning a (SANFL) premiership will play second fiddle to the main focus of developing AFL players'

'the main thing is to try to get everybody playing really well for the AFL team because they are heading into a finals campaign ... for us that's the main point. Everything else rolls back'

'the main priority is to make sure we win an AFL premiership'

'the key thing is the AFL team ... that's what we have to get right. Then we plot and plan and see what happens (in the SANFL)'

These are fairly typical quotations of a reserves team coach.
The 8 remaining traditional SANFL clubs also have reserves teams, known as the seconds.
One of the main jobs of a seconds coach is to prepare players for the League teams.
Port Reserves are no different.
The great pity is that this is happening in a A grade League by a team belonging in another A grade league.

This attitude is degrading the SANFL competition.
They should be in the comp with the purpose of winning flags.
That was the attitude of the Port Adelaide I knew 1870-2013.

This Dedja post sums up my angst , and represents the views of some others on this site.
That being, they don't belong, and they are degrading the competition.

Please please please can we have a Port Adelaide team in the SANFL not affiliated with the AFL Port Power team.
This comp is not the same without them.

Could happen if we reverted back to the old system. It wouldnt be that hard to sort out really in regards to players and where they would play. But doubt this will ever be an option.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Hazydog » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:38 am

The sad thing is that even with the developmental approach they are taking, they have been allowed to assemble a squad of top up players that has seen them put out a highly competetive team, and one capable of winning the GF.

Lets assume the GF will more than likely be either Port v Norwood or Port V Sturt. With the honeymoon period of Adelaide Oval still in full swing, despite the rescheduling of the GF, it will likely draw a bigger crowd than we've seen for nearly 20 years. That's when the back slapping will really commence with those that completed the deal with the AFL clubs.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby mal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:47 am

And the SANFL Grand Final will be played at the home ground of the AFL reserves teams
So in essence PERHAPS an advantage of sorts for Port Reserves should they play in the 2014 SANFL Grand Final ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby stan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:02 pm

mal wrote:And the SANFL Grand Final will be played at the home ground of the AFL reserves teams
So in essence PERHAPS an advantage of sorts for Port Reserves should they play in the 2014 SANFL Grand Final ?

Perhaps for some but, I dony think this is a massive advantage. I believe the squad they have to work with will be the telling factor.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:26 pm

holden78 wrote:

The powerbrokers won't get rid of the two AFL cancers now, but one rule needs to be set up now Hocking is on the record with that viewpoint.
Finals only for the 8 SANFL clubs while the Cancers get to play with each other adnauseum after the minor round...... simple ?? :rolleyes:

This is the only realistic, valid and the simplest outcome. No finals, no Magarey. They can compete for the minor premiership and that's all. If this happens the whole question and policing of top up players becomes a mute topic. If Summerton wants to continue at his beloved Power reserves he can, if Port want to pay him $10k/game, they can.
You know it makes sense.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL