SANFL scheduling - First week of finals announced

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL scheduling - First week of finals announced

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:06 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:And for the tinfoil hat nimrods who've claimed 'greater media coverage' of the SANFL this year I'd like them to scour the Tiser today for any mention of what is a relatively important announcement of the finals schedule.

Plenty of NASCAR coverage though, maybe Danger likes it.

it gets about 5 lines down the bottom of a page

Maybe he pulled the ton foil hat too far down over his eyes
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby smac » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Or maybe "greater media coverage" would have made it more obvious.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby maccad » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:54 pm

well that sucks, if the ladder positions stay as they are I will have to waste another annual leave day to go to the footy as I work Saturdays until 6 30. If they left the finals format like it was norwood would have been playing @ 7 40 instead of 4 40 and could have gone straight from work to the footy.
maccad
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby DOC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:29 pm

So its South Vs Norwood followed by Sturt and the Eagles?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:28 pm

DOC wrote:So its South Vs Norwood followed by Sturt and the Eagles?

A good chance but a disaster for the SANFL.

Maybe this announcement of finals should have been a bit later . That way the league would know who is playing who and got more there. Norwood V Sturt as a night game would get a lot more than a South V Norwood night game or Eagles / Sturt/south .

But at least there is 2 , maybe 3 , clubs in the finals that will attract a crowd.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:59 pm

SANFL semi-finals will be played at neutral venues at Glenelg and Richmond ovals if the state league is locked out of Adelaide Oval by the AFL elimination finals on the first weekend of September.

The SANFL’s planning for the state league semi-finals is complicated by the prospect of each of the Crows and Port Adelaide qualifying for home elimination finals.

If the Power ranks fifth, it would host an elimination final at the Oval — probably against eighth-ranked Essendon — on Saturday, September 6.

If the Crows rank sixth, they would claim a home elimination final — most likely against seventh-placed North Melbourne — on Sunday, September 7.

This leaves at least one SANFL semi-final and possibly both locked out of the Oval.

SANFL football chief Chris Davies on Tuesday told The Advertiser the league’s planning has:

ONE semi-final at the Oval on Friday night and another at either Glenelg or Richmond ovals.

ONE semi-final at each of Glenelg and Richmond ovals. Both venues have floodlights to allow for night finals.

RETURNING to Football Park, although this option is unlikely to gain favour.

Davies has rejected the option of home finals to the higher-ranked semi-finalists.

“Our thinking is if we were going to reward teams with home finals, we should have told the clubs at the start of the year,” he said.

“Our final decisions will be determined by how the AFL fixture plays out, particularly with the Crows and Port Adelaide.

“If the Oval is not available for the semi-finals, we do have the option of taking the games to suburban venues.”

The SANFL will play its elimination and qualifying finals at the Oval — as a twilight-night double-header on Saturday, August 30.

This coincides with the final weekend of the AFL home-and-away series in which Adelaide is hosting St Kilda on Sunday, August 31.

The preliminary final, on the second weekend of September, will be played at the Oval, along with the grand final on September 20 or 21.

“It is only the second week of the SANFL finals that may have to be moved from the Oval if the AFL teams qualify for home finals that weekend,” Davies said.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Good decision IMO, not many good ones recently but this is. Only issue is no matter where you program these games they will clash with AFL games that weekend.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby bays2011 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Interesting that the press release mentions using lights at Glenelg Oval. I thought there was a limit to how many night games could be played per season owing to the poor precious souls (all 4 or 5 of them) that live behind the oval and don't like illumination? And wouldn't Glenelg have already scheduled the maximum amount of games allowed? Was it 4 or 5?
bays2011
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:19 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:
DOC wrote:So its South Vs Norwood followed by Sturt and the Eagles?

A good chance but a disaster for the SANFL.

Maybe this announcement of finals should have been a bit later . That way the league would know who is playing who and got more there. Norwood V Sturt as a night game would get a lot more than a South V Norwood night game or Eagles / Sturt/south .

But at least there is 2 , maybe 3 , clubs in the finals that will attract a crowd.

Get behind South.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 am

topsywaldron wrote:And for the tinfoil hat nimrods who've claimed 'greater media coverage' of the SANFL this year I'd like them to scour the Tiser today for any mention of what is a relatively important announcement of the finals schedule.

Plenty of NASCAR coverage though, maybe Danger likes it.

page 76 of the tiser today has devoted almost the whole page to this, with two articles talking about the sanfl and afl fixtures, and the wider issue of trying to fit them around each other
bennymacca
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:32 am

Dutchy wrote:SANFL semi-finals will be played at neutral venues at Glenelg and Richmond ovals if the state league is locked out of Adelaide Oval by the AFL elimination finals on the first weekend of September.

The SANFL’s planning for the state league semi-finals is complicated by the prospect of each of the Crows and Port Adelaide qualifying for home elimination finals.

If the Power ranks fifth, it would host an elimination final at the Oval — probably against eighth-ranked Essendon — on Saturday, September 6.

If the Crows rank sixth, they would claim a home elimination final — most likely against seventh-placed North Melbourne — on Sunday, September 7.

This leaves at least one SANFL semi-final and possibly both locked out of the Oval.

SANFL football chief Chris Davies on Tuesday told The Advertiser the league’s planning has:

ONE semi-final at the Oval on Friday night and another at either Glenelg or Richmond ovals.

ONE semi-final at each of Glenelg and Richmond ovals. Both venues have floodlights to allow for night finals.

RETURNING to Football Park, although this option is unlikely to gain favour.

Davies has rejected the option of home finals to the higher-ranked semi-finalists.

“Our thinking is if we were going to reward teams with home finals, we should have told the clubs at the start of the year,” he said.

“Our final decisions will be determined by how the AFL fixture plays out, particularly with the Crows and Port Adelaide.

“If the Oval is not available for the semi-finals, we do have the option of taking the games to suburban venues.”

The SANFL will play its elimination and qualifying finals at the Oval — as a twilight-night double-header on Saturday, August 30.

This coincides with the final weekend of the AFL home-and-away series in which Adelaide is hosting St Kilda on Sunday, August 31.

The preliminary final, on the second weekend of September, will be played at the Oval, along with the grand final on September 20 or 21.

“It is only the second week of the SANFL finals that may have to be moved from the Oval if the AFL teams qualify for home finals that weekend,” Davies said.

What a crock of shit. Like they considered this a possibility when they decided to bring the finals forward.
Surely the SANFL and the fans would want to play at AO. Prestige, media coverage, reward for the team and the players and an opportunity for the players to get a game on AO, all swept away due to inept planning.

Personally I couldn't give a rats sack about the AFL or if either the Crows or Power make the finals. As an SANFL fan I'd want my team to get a crack at playing finals at AO.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:54 am

johntheclaret wrote:What a crock of shit. Like they considered this a possibility when they decided to bring the finals forward.
Surely the SANFL and the fans would want to play at AO. Prestige, media coverage, reward for the team and the players and an opportunity for the players to get a game on AO, all swept away due to inept planning.

Personally I couldn't give a rats sack about the AFL or if either the Crows or Power make the finals. As an SANFL fan I'd want my team to get a crack at playing finals at AO.

so are you going to magic up a 4 day weekend so they can all play?

come on mate. of course this wouldnt be the ideal scenario but they have to work with what they have got.

i think starting the season 1 week later could be a good way to go, because it lessens the chance of clashes happening.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby tipper » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:27 am

should be two weeks later. the sanfl grand final should never have been moved away from the week after the afl grand final.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:28 am

tipper wrote:should be two weeks later. the sanfl grand final should never have been moved away from the week after the afl grand final.

And this...
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby tipper » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:33 am

to be honest, if it was done as an experiment i can live with it. but it obviously hasnt worked. first season of the "new" grand final date and it is a shambles. the SANFL should man up, admit the mistake and announce that the grand final will revert next season.

ill actually applaud them if they take that stance, sometimes these things need to be tried. but i wont be holding my breath, it will upset the reserves sides too much, be stuffed what the rest of the league thinks
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:02 pm

tipper wrote:to be honest, if it was done as an experiment i can live with it. but it obviously hasnt worked. first season of the "new" grand final date and it is a shambles. the SANFL should man up, admit the mistake and announce that the grand final will revert next season.

ill actually applaud them if they take that stance, sometimes these things need to be tried. but i wont be holding my breath, it will upset the reserves sides too much, be stuffed what the rest of the league thinks

bugger the reserve sides, they can use their top up players if they are still alive and the AFL listed players need to go on holidays
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby tipper » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:28 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
tipper wrote:to be honest, if it was done as an experiment i can live with it. but it obviously hasnt worked. first season of the "new" grand final date and it is a shambles. the SANFL should man up, admit the mistake and announce that the grand final will revert next season.

bugger the reserve sides, they can use their top up players if they are still alive and the AFL listed players need to go on holidays

i agree with you MT, i just dont think that will be the outcome :(
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby LPH » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:29 pm

I raised this very question to Kurt Slaven @ the "Information Meeting" last year.
His response was an emphatic: "No, the date for the Grand Final will not be moved, it will remain in October".

Integrity? Compromise?

Pfft...
Season 2014 has proved one thing: the SANFL will bend over & do whatever their overlords want them to.
AFLSA is only a short distance away :(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:35 pm

LPH wrote:I raised this very question to Kurt Slaven @ the "Information Meeting" last year.
His response was an emphatic: "No, the date for the Grand Final will not be moved, it will remain in October".

Integrity? Compromise?

Pfft...
Season 2014 has proved one thing: the SANFL will bend over & do whatever their overlords want them to.
AFLSA is only a short distance away :(

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 pm

tipper wrote:should be two weeks later. the sanfl grand final should never have been moved away from the week after the afl grand final.

Exactly
johntheclaret
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL