Postby Booney » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:13 pm

mal wrote:
Booney wrote:
mal wrote:Port people need to adapt that same concept
Anyone else can think what they like

One or the other? You pick...

Rising Power sums it up
Its up to the individual to think what they think on this matter

If you wish, so why say "Port people need to adapt the same concept"? Aren't you telling us what we should think, about our club?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:19 pm

SimonH wrote:
Aerie wrote:A bit of an insight given during James Gowans speech at the Hall of Fame night about how he came to play SANFL. They did have a rookie contract at St Kilda for 2000, but only being paid $12k, they were better off coming to SA and playing SANFL, so they did. Every rookie listed Port and Crows player would be on more than the highest paid SANFL players these days. That is with an extra two AFL teams as well - i.e. it is easier to get on an AFL list now.

Not really a whinge or argument whether it is better now or then, but an example of why the SANFL is struggling to maintain its stance with AFL going from strength to strength and leaving the rest behind.

I'm sure both Gowans and many other very good SANFL players of the early to mid 2000's would be on AFL lists now if their careers began 15 years later.
Rookie listed players in 2014 are on $53,825 (warning: long PDF; it's on page 68). There are two players contracted to play entirely in the SANFL who would be on more than that: Henry Slattery and Ian Callinan. Surprise, surprise: their wages are both paid out of the kitty of an AFL club. (The rules don't appear to prevent the AFL reserves club's 'leadership player' getting paid $1 million a year if the club feels like paying it.) Unless Glenelg pays its assistant coaches unusually well (i.e. Mitch Thorp), presumably there are no others who get paid more than the AFL rookie wage for playing SANFL.

He who has the gold makes the rules, and over the last 30 years, the VFL/AFL has gone from having maybe 60% of the footy-related gold in Australia, to 95% plus. I think most fans are acclimatised to the idea that we'll never see new Super Carey/ Garry McIntoshes (i.e. elite players who play their whole career in the SANFL) again. But it's sad to think that there's a good chance that structural changes to footy mean we'll increasingly rarely see new Gowans brothers (top-level state players who start playing SANFL relatively early in their career and stay for 200+ games) again either.

to be fair though, these players have been playing in the sanfl since there were rookies, that hasnt changed. just that they are now concentrated within two teams.

Maddawg wrote:With the rookie wage of $53k that is a base salary surely the players would get a weekley payment for playing on top of this, if so what figure would that be, reading that page 68 surely it wouldnt be the senior match payment of $2980 although they are playing senior football just not at AFL level?

thats for an afl game
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Maddawg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:37 pm

What woudl they be paid for an SANFL game?
Maddawg
Mini-League

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:38 pm

bennymacca wrote:
SimonH wrote:
Aerie wrote:A bit of an insight given during James Gowans speech at the Hall of Fame night about how he came to play SANFL. They did have a rookie contract at St Kilda for 2000, but only being paid $12k, they were better off coming to SA and playing SANFL, so they did. Every rookie listed Port and Crows player would be on more than the highest paid SANFL players these days. That is with an extra two AFL teams as well - i.e. it is easier to get on an AFL list now.

Not really a whinge or argument whether it is better now or then, but an example of why the SANFL is struggling to maintain its stance with AFL going from strength to strength and leaving the rest behind.

I'm sure both Gowans and many other very good SANFL players of the early to mid 2000's would be on AFL lists now if their careers began 15 years later.
Rookie listed players in 2014 are on $53,825 (warning: long PDF; it's on page 68). There are two players contracted to play entirely in the SANFL who would be on more than that: Henry Slattery and Ian Callinan. Surprise, surprise: their wages are both paid out of the kitty of an AFL club. (The rules don't appear to prevent the AFL reserves club's 'leadership player' getting paid $1 million a year if the club feels like paying it.) Unless Glenelg pays its assistant coaches unusually well (i.e. Mitch Thorp), presumably there are no others who get paid more than the AFL rookie wage for playing SANFL.

He who has the gold makes the rules, and over the last 30 years, the VFL/AFL has gone from having maybe 60% of the footy-related gold in Australia, to 95% plus. I think most fans are acclimatised to the idea that we'll never see new Super Carey/ Garry McIntoshes (i.e. elite players who play their whole career in the SANFL) again. But it's sad to think that there's a good chance that structural changes to footy mean we'll increasingly rarely see new Gowans brothers (top-level state players who start playing SANFL relatively early in their career and stay for 200+ games) again either.

to be fair though, these players have been playing in the sanfl since there were rookies, that hasnt changed. just that they are now concentrated within two teams.

Huh?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby dedja » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Wedgie wrote:Its no different to religion, if people want to believe in fairy stories they're allowed too.
Theyre still ignorant fools and wrong but that's their right.

Hey, if I want to believe the Bays can win another flag this millennium then I will!

Ignorance is bliss ... :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
SimonH wrote:

Huh?

people talking about afl rookies playing in the sanfl and being paid more than others. they have been playing in the sanfl for years.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:11 pm

That's not the point of his post.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Rising Power » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:15 pm

No salary cap in the SANFL!
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby am Bays » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:21 pm

Gees, it fruit for the sideboard here.

We're flying through the 80s, some CUTting remaks, gentle nudges, and some posters taking the bait HOOK line and sinker.

Will we maintain this pace through the nervous nineties???
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby PhilH » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:01 pm

hope we don't have to merge with another thread at the end of '90
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby am Bays » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:03 pm

PhilH wrote:hope we don't have to merge with another thread at the end of '90

or get two posters from the one username after 96......
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby stan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Easily my favorite thread. Well done all.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby mal » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Booney wrote:
mal wrote:
Booney wrote:
mal wrote:Port people need to adapt that same concept
Anyone else can think what they like

One or the other? You pick...

Rising Power sums it up
Its up to the individual to think what they think on this matter

If you wish, so why say "Port people need to adapt the same concept"? Aren't you telling us what we should think, about our club?

OK this is as plain as I can post :

That is fact

The Port faithfuls can claim whatever they like about the link with :
Port of 1870-2013 to the Port playing in the SANFL in 2014
If they think its the same team, the same history , the same whatever they want to believe ,that's their prerogative

I do emphasize with Port people like yourself , its all changed
I certainly preferred the 1870-2013 Port model

I just live in 2014 knowing the facts and I am not blinded by a one eyed belief
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 pm

different team, same history. whats wrong with that?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:19 pm

So if the 2013 Port is different than the 2014 club, how about the difference between the 2010 club to the 2011 club?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Maddawg wrote:What woudl they be paid for an SANFL game?

Can of coke and a hot cup of chips?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:different team, same history. whats wrong with that?

Different clubs.
The PAFC changed its name in 95/96 to the PAMFC.
The PAMFC stopped at playing at the end of last year.
The history belongs to the now defunct PAMFC, its quite simple.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:34 pm

Can Sydney claim south Melbourne history?

Can the eagles claim woodville history?

If the answer is yes to both of those questions then it is yes to port too
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:39 pm

bennymacca wrote:Can Sydney claim south Melbourne history?

Yes, same club, different location. Location means nothing.

bennymacca wrote:Can the eagles claim woodville history?

No, different clubs. The current Eagles was a new club that commenced in 1991.

bennymacca wrote:If the answer is yes to both of those questions then it is yes to port too

It isn't so I'm glad you've worked it out.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Can Sydney claim south Melbourne history?

Yes, same club, different location. Location means nothing.

bennymacca wrote:Can the eagles claim woodville history?

No, different clubs. The current Eagles was a new club that commenced in 1991.

bennymacca wrote:If the answer is yes to both of those questions then it is yes to port too

It isn't so I'm glad you've worked it out.

So location means nothing, a name change means nothing, jumper change means nothing, but some legalese that changed nothing but the letterhead changes everything?

Port power can also lay claim to that history too
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL