Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon 2014

Postby stan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:13 am

Frosty wrote:I'm thinking if I'm Essendon you get every single player issued with a notice to take their 6 months penalty about 2 weeks into next season and cause as much disruption to the AFL as possible. Essendon state all their players are suspended so they can't fill a side and the whole fixture for the next 6 months is out the window, gate takings have a massive hit (Anzac Day in particular), all the travel pre-arranged is cancelled, a bye happens for all sides scheduled to play Essendon and the financial damage to the AFL as a whole is much more than the damage to the club and it's players.

Im not so sure about this. Some essendon faithful might want to go this road but in the end biting the hand that feeds you only leads to you starving.

I would say this cause of action might hurt the AFL in the short term but you can guarantee that it will mean the end of Essendon. The following year essendons license will be revoked, the Anzac day game will be Cartlon and Collingwood and there will new team maybe from tassie. Essendon will be dead.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Frosty » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:03 pm

For what it's worth I don't think they will do it. However, when you think about it they dobbed themselves in and given the right royal reaming they've received from the AFL and ASADA since that day they could be forgiven for taking their bat and ball and going home.
Frosty
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby JK » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Frosty wrote:For what it's worth I don't think they will do it. However, when you think about it they dobbed themselves in and given the right royal reaming they've received from the AFL and ASADA since that day they could be forgiven for taking their bat and ball and going home.

Reaming? :shock:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Frosty » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Just in terms of the way things have been handled and the timeframe involved. If this had all been done and dusted and a decision made by the end of last year we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Frosty
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Am i right in saying they self reported because of a 70k bill for supplements supplied by Dank?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby JK » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:02 pm

tigerpie wrote:Am i right in saying they self reported because of a 70k bill for supplements supplied by Dank?

Or due to the advance tap on the shoulder they received from Andy D .. Allegedly ..
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby stan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Frosty wrote:For what it's worth I don't think they will do it. However, when you think about it they dobbed themselves in and given the right royal reaming they've received from the AFL and ASADA since that day they could be forgiven for taking their bat and ball and going home.

The football world would say bye to Essendon and that would be it. As I said the Anzac day match would then be Collingwood and Carlton which would bring in a massive crowd. Maybe this would open the door for a tassie team or anther Vic team in its place. Who knows, all I know is that if Essendon want to take there bat and ball and go, it will be the bomber fans that will hurt most.

If Essendon are considering this option, then they might as well do it now.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Fricky » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:57 pm

stan wrote:

The football world would say bye to Essendon and that would be it. As I said the Anzac day match would then be Collingwood and Carlton which would bring in a massive crowd. Maybe this would open the door for a tassie team or anther Vic team in its place. Who knows, all I know is that if Essendon want to take there bat and ball and go, it will be the bomber fans that will hurt most.

If Essendon are considering this option, then they might as well do it now.

A Tassie team would be great, but I think there are too many teams in the AFL atm. But we all know that Essendon arent going anywhere. The AFL would already have things in place to help them out if/when the players are handed suspensions and sue the pants off the club. If Essendon's and Hird's court cases get thrown out you would think that the players will jump at the 6 month bans, take them during the off season so they can play next year, albeit a little underdone from a lack of a preseason.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Jase » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Any bans have to be taken in competition I believe... so they would need to miss 6 (or more) months of actual game time...

I think...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1488 times
Been liked: 560 times

Essendon 2014

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Interesting reading but I think the AFL looked into it last year and cleared the other clubs.
Dont think ASADA has any more money to dig deep but you would think that we are not the only club that Dank was involved that had something suss going on.

WorkCover asked to investigate supplements programs at all Victorian AFL clubs after Essendon scandal
STEPHEN DRILL
HERALD SUN
JUNE 17, 2014 5:47PM

THE Victorian WorkCover Authority has been asked to investigate the supplement programs at all Victorian AFL clubs over claims that players’ health has been put at risk.

Documents sent to the workplace authority accuse the clubs of failing to protect players’ welfare. The documents list Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs.

The only other Victorian club, Essendon, was already under investigation by WorkCover.

Kate Fawcett, a spokeswoman for the authority, confirmed the request was being considered.

“The Victorian WorkCover Authority can confirm it has received a request under section 131 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 to conduct an investigation into alleged risks to health and safety involving nine AFL clubs,” she said.

“The Victorian WorkCover Authority is currently reviewing this request.”

WorkCover must investigate requests made in accordance with section 131 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

The documents, published by the ABC, state the claim was made after the AFL admitted last year it had concerns about supplements programs at 12 league clubs.

“The conduct of supplements programs under the AFL regulations as they applied during the 2013 and prior seasons, potentially exposed players to risks to health and safety,” the documents state.

“Those risks arose and/or were exacerbated by inadequate record-keeping, sourcing, staffing, and central accountability and oversight.

“The matters ... implicate potentially all of the AFL Clubs in the League. These including all of the Victorian AFL Clubs, each of which is an employer subject to the Act.”

Comment was being sought from the AFL.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby westozfalcon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:55 pm

It's funny how Essendon has foreshadowed a legal challenge, claiming it was technically illegal for ASADA to conduct a joint investigation with the AFL.

If they believe the investigation was illegal, why did they agree to cooperate with it? :roll:

It smacks of desperation.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby smac » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:33 pm

It's also funny how desperate ASADA seem to be when discussing reduced penalties.

There's not a party involved in this mess who could claim to be competent.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:46 pm

smac wrote:It's also funny how desperate ASADA seem to be when discussing reduced penalties.

One big clusterphuck!
SEN were reporting today that they have now offered that the players can serve the 6 months out of season.
Once this finally ends I think the AFL will give ASADA the flick
Jim05
Coach

Postby smac » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:48 pm

AFL have already made steps towards flicking ASADA. As soon as this chapter closes, they'll move on.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:50 pm

westozfalcon wrote:It's funny how Essendon has foreshadowed a legal challenge, claiming it was technically illegal for ASADA to conduct a joint investigation with the AFL.

If they believe the investigation was illegal, why did they agree to cooperate with it? :roll:

Not just Essendon, the AFLPA has now jumped on board and are threatening that players may take action against ASADA.
The AFLPA were quite cutting of ASADA and McDevitt
Jim05
Coach

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:52 am

Jim05 wrote:
smac wrote:It's also funny how desperate ASADA seem to be when discussing reduced penalties.

One big clusterphuck!
SEN were reporting today that they have now offered that the players can serve the 6 months out of season.
Once this finally ends I think the AFL will give ASADA the flick

The AFL will never give ASADA the flick. It will cost the AFL too much money to do it there selfs.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:54 am

Jim05 wrote:
westozfalcon wrote:It's funny how Essendon has foreshadowed a legal challenge, claiming it was technically illegal for ASADA to conduct a joint investigation with the AFL.

Not just Essendon, the AFLPA has now jumped on board and are threatening that players may take action against ASADA.
The AFLPA were quite cutting of ASADA and McDevitt

The AFLPA are never going to win. They want all the evidence handed to the players before they make comment. This is like someone being charged with murder getting all the evidence before they plead guilty or not guilty
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:57 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
whufc wrote:Football Federation Australia owe Essendon millions!!!!

While the real football showpiece is taking place the AFL is crumbling at its knees

This is the best leg up the round ball game has ever had in this country!

Australia will get crushed... Then all the people who jump on the "football" bandwagon every four years will jump off when it's done.

Anyone who thinks soccer will take over Aussie rules has no idea about sport...

:oops:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby stun72 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:05 pm

stun72
Under 16s

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby probie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:13 pm

You know, for a side sitting ninth and one game out of the eight, it seems there's been no talk of how the bombers have played this season on this thread. Other than bagging Geelong for letting Chapman go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
probie

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 5 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL