Crows 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2014

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Goal less is one thing, having zero impact is another.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

Postby cracka » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Booney wrote:Goal less is one thing, having zero impact is another.

He's not alone in that side.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Good post Ron, I agree with all of that. 40-50 I would be happy with

What if he has 8 touches and kicks no goals in 3-5 matches? ( He's done it twice in 5 weeks )

If he has zero impact on the game, Adelaide would most likely lose the game. Not saying you are a one man team ( lucky for you lot! ) but he is a bit of a barometer. So if he has zero impact and Adelaide lose and he does that several times during the year yet kicks 40 goals in the other games, you'd be happy with that?

I wouldn't be.

Let's face it, bets is a good afl footballer, he isn't a world beater. He is supposed to be a part of a multifaceted forward line. If he bobs up and wins us a game once every 3 weeks and wins us the game that's great. I'm not expecting him to do it every week. Very few small forwards in the history of the game can do that. He relies just as much on the form of the big blokes as he does his own form. Because they bring betts into the game. And Jenkins and pods and tex got nowhere near it on Sunday. So I certainly don't blame betts for having a quieter one either.

After half time it was just an all round terrible performance. Almost the worst for the year, up there with the Sydney last half and the whole game against Melbourne.

Just shows when you stop our run and carry we just end up blazing away by foot and turning it over.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Feel dirty sticking up for the Crows, but it's worth remembering they are paying good, not great, money for Betts. So they know he's not elite, and knew what they were getting. I think for all his faults (and they've been accurately mentioned here). he would receive a pass mark from what Ive seen of him/them this season.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:46 pm

JK wrote:Feel dirty sticking up for the Crows, but it's worth remembering they are paying good, not great, money for Betts. So they know he's not elite, and knew what they were getting. I think for all his faults (and they've been accurately mentioned here). he would receive a pass mark from what Ive seen of him/them this season.

Your probably right but the Betts signing to me reminds me of many of the teams that get stuck in the middle of the road and never get out with poor recruiting

I don't see great benefit in an average side signing an older bloke on a higher than average deal.

imho they should have taken the same path as the power and had some faith in the youth.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2540 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:52 pm

I agree with you mate .. He probably would have been a better addition to a side that was a genuine contender
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:02 am

JK wrote:I agree with you mate .. He probably would have been a better addition to a side that was a genuine contender

Yeah but i dont think it would come as a surprise to anyone if the arrogant c**nts at west lakes truly believed they were a genuine premiership threat.

:lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2540 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:37 am

whufc wrote:
JK wrote:I agree with you mate .. He probably would have been a better addition to a side that was a genuine contender

Yeah but i dont think it would come as a surprise to anyone if the arrogant c**nts at west lakes truly believed they were a genuine premiership threat.

That was half my point ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:01 am

whufc wrote:

ALL CLASS :roll:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby cracka » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:44 am

Looks like Sandersons in trouble. He has the full support of the board.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:01 am

cracka wrote:Looks like Sandersons in trouble. He has the full support of the board.

Haha...thought the same thing myself!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:33 am

Who are even asking the questions? I haven't even contemplated them replacing sando just yet. Seems like pure speculation to me.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:53 am

bennymacca wrote:Who are even asking the questions? I haven't even contemplated them replacing sando just yet. Seems like pure speculation to me.

I think any suggestions of chopping him are jumping the gun at the moment, but questions certainly need to be asked and there would want to be significant improvement between now and the end of next season
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:56 am

JK wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Who are even asking the questions? I haven't even contemplated them replacing sando just yet. Seems like pure speculation to me.

I think any suggestions of chopping him are jumping the gun at the moment, but questions certainly need to be asked and there would want to be significant improvement between now and the end of next season

Yeah agree with that. The thing that is bugging me at the moment is the inconsistency. At their very best they look like a finals team but then they put in a pathetic performance the next week. Or even the next half of footy like on the weekend.

That says to me it is more about coaching than players but it's hard to know, obviously a combination of both.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:10 am

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:

Yeah agree with that. The thing that is bugging me at the moment is the inconsistency. At their very best they look like a finals team but then they put in a pathetic performance the next week. Or even the next half of footy like on the weekend.

That says to me it is more about coaching than players but it's hard to know, obviously a combination of both.

When is the last time they have beaten a serious contender away from home, ala Hawthorn, Collingwood, Geelong, St. Kilda of recent times? I think they need to address their culture to be honest (which is easier said than done). I've had question marks over Sanderson for a while (he gets a stay of execution over personnel losses and inability to draft properly which were beyond his control). I think last weekend showed one the biggest holes Adelaide has. When Freo applied the frontal pressure they are notorious for, Adelaide players panicked and kicked clear from the area as quickly as they could, generally straight out to a wall of Dockers. Freo are a very good side when up and about and bring many teams undone this way. But the good teams keep their nerve, and work through it with handball before breaking lines upon release. Port, Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, Freo themselves all do it. You must be good at that in modern footy and the Crows aren't.

Therefore it's either game style, or an inability to get the players to perform it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:29 am

2012 would be the answer to your question. We beat Sydney and Fremantle. This year My expectations are somewhat lower than that. I don't expect them to beat freo in the west, but I do expect the crows to take it up to them like they did in the first half. The thing I don't like is that the blueprint to beat the crows is so obvious. If we can work it out here then it's a problem.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:17 am

bennymacca wrote:2012 would be the answer to your question. We beat Sydney and Fremantle. This year My expectations are somewhat lower than that. I don't expect them to beat freo in the west, but I do expect the crows to take it up to them like they did in the first half. The thing I don't like is that the blueprint to beat the crows is so obvious. If we can work it out here then it's a problem.

Neither of those clubs had their mojo at that stage and it was relatively early in the season from memory (a wins a win though, so fair point), Even allowing for those it's twice in 2.5 seasons at best, what about beating a genuine contender in Melbourne over that period of time?

Crows people seem to hang on to a win, but forget about how rarely it happens. They should be demanding it becomes a common occurrence if they want to be a strong club.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:26 am

It was round 6 and 10. I wasn't trying to debunk your point, I agree with you, that was 2 years ago.

I really think that we are seeing the effects of the tippet debacle, because it means CEY and Brodie Martin are getting games, when they should be two first round picks. The drafting of brad crouch looks like a master stroke now because without him and his brother we would be royally screwed
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:29 am

bennymacca wrote:It was round 6 and 10. I wasn't trying to debunk your point, I agree with you, that was 2 years ago.

I really think that we are seeing the effects of the tippet debacle, because it means CEY and Brodie Martin are getting games, when they should be two first round picks. The drafting of brad crouch looks like a master stroke now because without him and his brother we would be royally screwed

Yeah done well with the Crouch boys I'd say, and fair point on Martin and CEY too.

You're a devout Crows man, would you sooner see them bottom out whenever they're not genuine contenders and earn a top 5 pick, or do you prefer their philosophy of always going as hard as they can for as long as they can and drifting in the draft?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:32 am

I don't think the crows are the sort of club that bottom out. I think it's possible to rebuild without doing it. Just have to be smart.

Probably hurts us in the long run, we have lost 5 prelims since our last grand final, so with an extra top 5 draft pick or two we may have only made 3 prelims but could have a flag. So it's hard.
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL