The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby RB » Tue May 27, 2014 10:03 pm

But it isn't a Magpie, it's a Power reserves side...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby stan » Wed May 28, 2014 12:06 pm

LPH wrote:If it looks like a Duck/Magpie, sounds like a Duck/Magpie & walks like a Duck/Magpie - chances are, it's a Duck/Magpie.

Whafie scum more like it. ;)
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Wed May 28, 2014 12:08 pm

RB wrote:But it isn't a Magpie, it's a Power reserves side...

At the end of the day I dont really care they are or who others think they are. To me they are wharfie scum and thats it. Couldn't give a **** much more expect for the rules at the end of the year to be wound back to bring them back to the pack.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 28, 2014 12:17 pm

I'll let Port Adelaide people decide whether they are the Magpies, or the Power.
Not all of them can seem to make up their mind.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Aerie » Wed May 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I'll let Port Adelaide people decide whether they are the Magpies, or the Power.

Being an Eagles supporter, I can relate to other people telling you what your club is or isn't and you are right, all that really matters is what the Port people think. It is their club.

However, there are more issues than identity at play here.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby mal » Wed May 28, 2014 12:57 pm

:?: :?: :?: :?:

What happens If either or both Port Power Reserves or Adelaide Crow Reserves play off the SANFL Grand Final this season ?
Will they be accepted into the Foxtel Cup of 2015 ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Aerie wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I'll let Port Adelaide people decide whether they are the Magpies, or the Power.

Being an Eagles supporter, I can relate to other people telling you what your club is or isn't and you are right, all that really matters is what the Port people think. It is their club.

Thank, You.

I've noted several times that I'm interested in people's definition of what a "club" is.

Is it the letter head on an official document?
Is it the guernsey?
Is it the song they sing?
Is it the people who support it?

I think it would be pretty hard to define what a "football club" actually is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby SimonH » Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 pm

mal wrote::?: :?: :?: :?:

What happens If either or both Port Power Reserves or Adelaide Crow Reserves play off the SANFL Grand Final this season ?
Speaking of 'what's in a name?', it seems that you get an invitation if you are a standalone club merely 'affiliated' with an AFL team, but you don't get one if you're an AFL reserves side (either that, or AFL reserves sides automatically knock back any invitation as they have less than no interest in the comp—the result has been the same either way).

East Perth earned their invitation in 2013 when they were a standalone club, and are competing in 2014 as an AFL-affiliated team. On the other side of the ledger, Williamstown earned their invitation in 2013 when they were (I think) a Western Bulldogs affiliate, and are competing in 2014 as a stand-alone. But if either of them were actually called 'West Coast' or 'Footscray' at the relevant time, I don't think they'd be in this comp.

Whether 'Port Adelaide FC' (presuming their SANFL side finishes top 2 after finals) get an invitation to the 2015 Foxtel Cup, will be quite an interesting question.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby SimonH » Wed May 28, 2014 1:48 pm

Booney wrote:Thank, You.

I've noted several times that I'm interested in people's definition of what a "club" is.

Is it the guernsey?

It's a good point. At its base (technically) it's an incorporated association (or similar) and even a constitution—but no-one barracks for incorporated associations, or constitutions. A club is the whole package ("the vibe of the thing"), and so how much (if any) of the package you can change or take out before it's "not the same/ I don't support them any more" will vary from fan to fan. And so you'll get a splintering of a club's supporter base on any divisive definitional issue.

Of the body of people who have called themselves "Port Adelaide Magpies" supporters at some point in their lives:
• some will believe that the Port Adelaide Magpies live on quite healthily today and they'll barrack for them as hard and enthusiastically as ever
• some will believe that the Port Adelaide Magpies era came to an end when the final siren blew on 2013, and it's an AFL reserves side wearing prison bars (at least for the time being) from 2014 onwards
• some will believe that in practical terms the Port Adelaide Magpies era came to an end in 1997 and everything since then has just been the detail of slowly winding down the Port Adelaide presence in the SANFL competition; and no doubt
• some will believe something else entirely.

There's no one "right" answer (even though plenty of people believe that their answer is right and anyone who disagrees with them is wrong). Of course most people who in 2014 call themselves "Port Adelaide supporters" wouldn't care less about that kind of stuff if their club is on top of the AFL ladder (and, as a bonus, on top of the SANFL ladder).
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed May 28, 2014 1:54 pm

SimonH wrote:
mal wrote::?: :?: :?: :?:

Speaking of 'what's in a name?', it seems that you get an invitation if you are a standalone club merely 'affiliated' with an AFL team, but you don't get one if you're an AFL reserves side (either that, or AFL reserves sides automatically knock back any invitation as they have less than no interest in the comp—the result has been the same either way).

East Perth earned their invitation in 2013 when they were a standalone club, and are competing in 2014 as an AFL-affiliated team. On the other side of the ledger, Williamstown earned their invitation in 2013 when they were (I think) a Western Bulldogs affiliate, and are competing in 2014 as a stand-alone. But if either of them were actually called 'West Coast' or 'Footscray' at the relevant time, I don't think they'd be in this comp.

Whether 'Port Adelaide FC' (presuming their SANFL side finishes top 2 after finals) get an invitation to the 2015 Foxtel Cup, will be quite an interesting question.

East Perth were partially affiliated with West Coast last year which massively helped them come finals time. This year they are fully affiliated to WC.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 1:56 pm

SimonH wrote:

Is it the guernsey?

It's a good point. At its base (technically) it's an incorporated association (or similar) and even a constitution—but no-one barracks for incorporated associations, or constitutions. A club is the whole package ("the vibe of the thing"), and so how much (if any) of the package you can change or take out before it's "not the same/ I don't support them any more" will vary from fan to fan. And so you'll get a splintering of a club's supporter base on any divisive definitional issue.

Of the body of people who have called themselves "Port Adelaide Magpies" supporters at some point in their lives:
• some will believe that the Port Adelaide Magpies live on quite healthily today and they'll barrack for them as hard and enthusiastically as ever
• some will believe that the Port Adelaide Magpies era came to an end when the final siren blew on 2013, and it's an AFL reserves side wearing prison bars (at least for the time being) from 2014 onwards
• some will believe that in practical terms the Port Adelaide Magpies era came to an end in 1997 and everything since then has just been the detail of slowly winding down the Port Adelaide presence in the SANFL competition; and no doubt

There's no one "right" answer (even though plenty of people believe that their answer is right and anyone who disagrees with them is wrong). Of course most people who in 2014 call themselves "Port Adelaide supporters" wouldn't care less about that kind of stuff if their club is on top of the AFL ladder (and, as a bonus, on top of the SANFL ladder).

similarly, im not sure why there was all this talk a few years ago about port power not having a right to claim their SANFL heritage. of course they can. kind of silly that they couldnt.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby therisingblues » Wed May 28, 2014 6:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:
SimonH wrote:

Is it the guernsey?

similarly, im not sure why there was all this talk a few years ago about port power not having a right to claim their SANFL heritage. of course they can. kind of silly that they couldnt.

After reading many of your posts Benny I believe you are simply incapable of understanding the reasoning there. Those of us with the general wellbeing of the comp as a whole however, would dispute their right to AFL training facilities,coaching, funding etc. Not to mention the magpie fans that wanted nothing to do with the Power.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Thu May 29, 2014 9:02 am

I'm not sure it's Benny who is incapable of understanding the topic at hand.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby smac » Thu May 29, 2014 9:57 am

Booney wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Thank, You.

Is it the guernsey?

A club is people. Supporters, players, administrators. All the other stuff is what makes it different to other clubs.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Thu May 29, 2014 10:13 am

smac wrote:
Booney wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Thank, You.

Is it the guernsey?

A club is people. Supporters, players, administrators. All the other stuff is what makes it different to other clubs.

Couldn't agree more.

I cringe every time I get "oh, but the official letter head says....." or "I thought that until I was shown a document...."
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby smac » Thu May 29, 2014 10:27 am

But these cookies define your identity crisis perfectly.
Attachments
10303450_1422008938075980_5663647613153527625_n.jpg
10303450_1422008938075980_5663647613153527625_n.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Thu May 29, 2014 10:58 am

smac wrote:But these cookies define your identity crisis perfectly.

No crisis, I know exactly who I am. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Cash 123 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Up the Magpies
Cash 123
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 22 times

Postby am Bays » Thu May 29, 2014 2:25 pm

Booney wrote:
smac wrote:But these cookies define your identity crisis perfectly.

No crisis, I know exactly who I am. :lol:

Denial is not just a river in Egypt, Boon.

<insert smiley/winking emoticon here>
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby wild dog » Thu May 29, 2014 3:04 pm

Booney wrote:I'm not sure it's Benny who is incapable of understanding the topic at hand.

And another lap starts.

Its funny all of these fair and reasonable parties such as the Adelaide medial, you and your mate BEENYmacca, seem comfortable with the way its all going at SANFL level, it makes me wonder what we are all concerned about.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL