Hawthorn 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Hawthorn 2014

Postby Fricky » Mon May 26, 2014 2:43 pm

gossipgirl wrote:Hard to see anyone beating the Hawks at finals time assuming they have their best players back. Incredible depth

Sydney and Port I reckon. Yes both these clubs played a Hawthorn side with injuries but I think the Swans and Power are the two best sides in the comp this season.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 26, 2014 2:48 pm

People like Simpkin hallahan Langford etc just coming in and immediately doing their but bodes well for them. They still need to fast track those blokes as hodge and Mitchell and Burgoyne aren't getting any younger but Lewis is almost the main midfielder now.

Still the best side in the comp when fully fit imo. Though port are looking mighty good if port can stitch up a top 2 spot and play home finals I think we probably saw the grand final match on the weekend.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby MatteeG » Mon May 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Port looked good, I reckon we held some of their better players quite well but they still found a way.

Depth is there for a reason- I was happy to see Shoey make it through another game. Be good to see Alex Woodward get a crack soon. Little ball magnet.

Sydney, Port are probably the more consistent, I reckon Freo and Geelong on their day are a threat to anyone. North Melbourne manage to disappoint everytime I think they may do anything.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Sorry Dude » Mon May 26, 2014 3:35 pm

I still think Hawthorn are the team to beat. You have Schoenmakers back in which then releases Gibson to do what he does best. Mitchell is the heart of that team! Roughy back takes focus off of Gunston (even though he had a cracker on the weekend) and then you have (I don't think he is 100%) Hodge just floating in between the 50's doing his thing.

Port and Sydney are playing great footy, but I only think Sydney (when both teams are fully fit) have the personel to take it to the Hawks.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Sorry Dude wrote:I still think Hawthorn are the team to beat. You have Schoenmakers back in which then releases Gibson to do what he does best. Mitchell is the heart of that team! Roughy back takes focus off of Gunston (even though he had a cracker on the weekend) and then you have (I don't think he is 100%) Hodge just floating in between the 50's doing his thing.

Port and Sydney are playing great footy, but I only think Sydney (when both teams are fully fit) have the personel to take it to the Hawks.

Geelong anyone?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3028 times
Been liked: 2404 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 26, 2014 3:41 pm

For sure Hawthorn were not full strength on Saturday night but patches of their "system" shone through and the clever Port coaching staff would have learnt a lot from that game, regardless of who was in or out.

For mine : Hawthorn, Sydney, Port/Geelong, Fremantle for the flag.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 26, 2014 3:43 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Sorry Dude wrote:I still think Hawthorn are the team to beat. You have Schoenmakers back in which then releases Gibson to do what he does best. Mitchell is the heart of that team! Roughy back takes focus off of Gunston (even though he had a cracker on the weekend) and then you have (I don't think he is 100%) Hodge just floating in between the 50's doing his thing.

Geelong anyone?

Yes, but they will need to finish top 4 or risk an away game to the SCG or perhaps Adelaide Oval.

Although, coming from outside the top 4 this year might be more "doable" than previous years. Gold Coast might still hold onto 4th, do they get a mention anywhere?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 26, 2014 3:43 pm

I think it's pretty essential port finish top 2, because it will be much harder for them to win away in a final. At home they would be scary though
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Geelong anyone?

Yes, but they will need to finish top 4 or risk an away game to the ANZ or perhaps Adelaide Oval.

Although, coming from outside the top 4 this year might be more "doable" than previous years. Gold Coast might still hold onto 4th, do they get a mention anywhere?

edited for accuracy :(
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 26, 2014 3:45 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Geelong anyone?

Yes, but they will need to finish top 4 or risk an away game to the ANZ or perhaps Adelaide Oval.

edited for accuracy :(

=)) =)) =))
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 26, 2014 3:46 pm

Booney wrote:gold Coast might still hold onto 4th, do they get a mention anywhere?

I'm really hoping they do. Will probably mean a few dangerous teams outside the 4, like freo or Sydney, who both might get home finals first up, and would be a pretty horrible second week matchup for the losing QF.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:48 pm

shut up jerk

;)
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Fricky » Mon May 26, 2014 3:55 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:gold Coast might still hold onto 4th, do they get a mention anywhere?

I'm really hoping they do. Will probably mean a few dangerous teams outside the 4, like freo or Sydney, who both might get home finals first up, and would be a pretty horrible second week matchup for the losing QF.

If the Suns finish 4th it'll be great for them and the comp but they will the hammered in the first week of finals. This season they've beaten Rich, Bris, Melb, Giants, North, Saints and Bulldogs but have been belted by Freo and Hawthorn. Their draw has been very kind to them and they may be able to pull off enough wins to finish in the top 4, but they will be hard pressed to win a game in the finals. Their next 6 weeks are Crows, Swans, WCE, Geelong, Hawks and Collingwood. They are big chance against the Crows but I cant see them getting with 6 goals of the other sides.

Suns will play finals but will just be making up the numbers.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby TEX07 » Mon May 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Geelong anyone?

Yes, but they will need to finish top 4 or risk an away game to the SCG or perhaps Adelaide Oval.

There next 5 -6 weeks will be telling IMO - Adel, Syd, WC (away), Cats, Hawks and Collingwood. They could easily only win 1 out of that 6 games - that being this week against the Crows. I think that Port will only lose 1-2 more games and finish top 2 - The Hawks have a tough last 3 weeks with Freo (away) , Geelong and then Collingwood. If they get thier best side on the park they will be the other top 2 side IMO.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 26, 2014 4:09 pm

We will certainly find out about them in the next 6 weeks. If they get 2 or 3 they are a big chance
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Mcevoy out for 4 weeks with a hammy
bennymacca
Coach

Postby cennals05 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Nick Bowen ‏@AFL_Nick 3m
Alastair Clarkson facing an indefinite absence from coaching after being diagnosed with Gullain-Barré syndrome
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Sorry Dude » Tue May 27, 2014 3:29 pm

cennals05 wrote:Nick Bowen ‏@AFL_Nick 3m
Alastair Clarkson facing an indefinite absence from coaching after being diagnosed with Gullain-Barré syndrome

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/spo ... -hospital/
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Sorry Dude wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Nick Bowen ‏@AFL_Nick 3m

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/spo ... -hospital/

gee that's bad news... Hope he has a speedy recovery...

Hawks can't catch a break at the moment...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Wow. Hope he gets well.

Definitely going to affect their premiership chances.
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL