Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:09 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:Mawson Lakes and Pooraka have the same postcode the league should have made them merge ...........regardless of what club you are how much cash you got some of these clubs are just to near eachother and should be forced to merge

Greenacres and gepps cross
Pooraka and mawson lakes
smithfield and elizabeth
north pines and salisbury west

these are just a few i can think of and while people will get there knickers in a knot the future of the game is more important then any of your clubs

this may the most ridiculous thing i have ever read... "Hey phos/edwarstown/morphies/kenilworth wanna merge with us, we aren't struggling for players and we have done ok the last couple of years, but why not?"....
the history of my club is far to important to throw away because of some clubs struggling.
Please...

the history of the club is so much more important then the game ......do you even do your research before you post i mentioned all north teams cause we all with in a stones throw of each other i can drive for 5-15 minutes and get to 6 other clubs i go an extra 5 minutes on that another 3 clubs clearly you know nothing of the north

Woodville and West Torrens merged they still have the history of both clubs
and if pooraka had to merge with mawson lakes to survive then so be it the history still follows where ever pooraka goes
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Robb_Stark wrote: all north teams cause we all with in a stones throw of each other i can drive for 5-15 minutes and get to 6 other clubs i go an extra 5 minutes on that another 3 clubs clearly you know nothing of the north

Yup, I would be within a 10 min drive of (maybe 15 depending on traffic) of Gepps, Greenaces, Ingle Farm, Broadview, Pooraka, Kilburn, PNU perhaps even Mawson Lakes and Para Hills.

Think sometimes people in SA take for granted how close everything actually is!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote: all north teams cause we all with in a stones throw of each other i can drive for 5-15 minutes and get to 6 other clubs i go an extra 5 minutes on that another 3 clubs clearly you know nothing of the north

Yup, I would be within a 10 min drive of (maybe 15 depending on traffic) of Gepps, Greenaces, Ingle Farm, Broadview, Pooraka, Kilburn, PNU perhaps even Mawson Lakes and Para Hills.

Absolutely, this is why I look at Northern teams claims they struggle for juniors due to the amount of other clubs in close proximity with great skepticism.

Walkerville, Broadview and PNU are within walking distance (albeit a long walk) of one another and all are able to field 2 sides in each age group for many age groups.
jo172
Veteran

Has liked: 1220 times
Been liked: 732 times

Postby The Informer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:33 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:Mawson Lakes and Pooraka have the same postcode the league should have made them merge ...........regardless of what club you are how much cash you got some of these clubs are just to near eachother and should be forced to merge

Greenacres and gepps cross
Pooraka and mawson lakes
smithfield and elizabeth
north pines and salisbury west

these are just a few i can think of and while people will get there knickers in a knot the future of the game is more important then any of your clubs

this may the most ridiculous thing i have ever read... "Hey phos/edwarstown/morphies/kenilworth wanna merge with us, we aren't struggling for players and we have done ok the last couple of years, but why not?"....
the history of my club is far to important to throw away because of some clubs struggling.
Please...

Well u may as well tell Pooraka, Mawson Lakes, Ingle Farm and Para Hills to merge then, prob same distance
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 pm

jo172 wrote:Absolutely, this is why I look at Northern teams claims they struggle for juniors due to the amount of other clubs in close proximity with great skepticism.

Walkerville, Broadview and PNU are within walking distance (albeit a long walk) of one another and all are able to field 2 sides in each age group for many age groups.

Forgot about Walkies lol, add them to my list! :lol:

Do you think demographics have something to do with it as well though? Look at the clubs with thriving juniors - hardly low socio-economic areas, generally families that can afford their kids to play sport, provide transport to training and games etc.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Unless you've moved recently, you've forgotten your closest club in Gaza..LOL and even we're only about 10mins away from you.

Broadview and PNU a walk? BAHAHAAHA - the only time anyone would ever walk that far is 3am with no taxi money :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1753 times
Been liked: 2172 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Unless you've moved recently, you've forgotten your closest club in Gaza..LOL and even we're only about 10mins away from you.

Broadview and PNU a walk? BAHAHAAHA - the only time anyone would ever walk that far is 3am with no taxi money :lol:

I wouldn't walk anywhere, that was jo haha!
Oh yeah how could I forget Gaza haha! That big club with the killer playground that I go past everyday to and from work! :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:38 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
jo172 wrote:Absolutely, this is why I look at Northern teams claims they struggle for juniors due to the amount of other clubs in close proximity with great skepticism.

Forgot about Walkies lol, add them to my list! :lol:

Do you think demographics have something to do with it as well though? Look at the clubs with thriving juniors - hardly low socio-economic areas, generally families that can afford their kids to play sport, provide transport to training and games etc.

Eastern Park have a fairly healthy junior program, just to throw a spanner in that theory ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1753 times
Been liked: 2172 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Eastern Park have a fairly healthy junior program, just to throw a spanner in that theory ;)

They love to breed out there - the other crucial ingredient :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Yank Man » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:42 pm

Suri wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:After long consideration i've decided - stuff the struggling clubs..
If clubs fall over - as sad as it would be - it just means the other clubs in the area should in theory become stronger. Stronger clubs make for a stronger competition and easier to attract new people to play.

Or get rid of the 'C divisions and go back to having D9 and D10 north/south :P

I tend to agree with this, just hope that it never happens to your own club.

Clubs have amalgamated in the past which have created stronger clubs - Portland, Port Districts, Goodwood have all come from amalgamations and although it would have been an emotional and difficult process they are better off now. Wouldn't it be better to have a club like Pt Districts who still celebrate the history of your old club, Semaphore Central or Exeter, than have no club at all?

I think some clubs will be able to bounce back and become strong again, but perhaps other struggling clubs need to look strongly at amalgamating.

The Goody Sts one is interesting. I was on the steering committee at Edwarstown in the early mid 90's where both clubs were pushing to join forces. Towns were a power club in SAFA and Goody's were struggling big time. The clubs couldn't reach terms and the Saints decided to go back and put their noses over the grindstone and work harder at it. Bet they are super happy with that decision now aye? Or they could be in SFL. :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 327 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Eastern Park have a fairly healthy junior program, just to throw a spanner in that theory ;)

They love to breed out there - the other crucial ingredient :lol:

should be called eatern park rabbits
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Yank Man wrote:
Suri wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:After long consideration i've decided - stuff the struggling clubs..
If clubs fall over - as sad as it would be - it just means the other clubs in the area should in theory become stronger. Stronger clubs make for a stronger competition and easier to attract new people to play.

Or get rid of the 'C divisions and go back to having D9 and D10 north/south :P

Clubs have amalgamated in the past which have created stronger clubs - Portland, Port Districts, Goodwood have all come from amalgamations and although it would have been an emotional and difficult process they are better off now. Wouldn't it be better to have a club like Pt Districts who still celebrate the history of your old club, Semaphore Central or Exeter, than have no club at all?

I think some clubs will be able to bounce back and become strong again, but perhaps other struggling clubs need to look strongly at amalgamating.

The Goody Sts one is interesting. I was on the steering committee at Edwarstown in the early mid 90's where both clubs were pushing to join forces. Towns were a power club in SAFA and Goody's were struggling big time. The clubs couldn't reach terms and the Saints decided to go back and put their noses over the grindstone and work harder at it. Bet they are super happy with that decision now aye? Or they could be in SFL. :)

you cant comnpare the 90s to current day so much has change all the storys of clubs being packed back in the day people use to drink drive home all that has changed people dont drink as much at clubs anymore people cant afford as much companys dont sponsor as much
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby Q. » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:57 pm

So basically, there is no right answer...
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Q. wrote:So basically, there is no right answer...

its pretty safe to say that young adults these days drink far less and less smoke these were key revenues for a club back in the day even poker machines the young dont play them as much around our area more the older people these days you need to change your approach even in our A grade team we have 1 player that smokes back in the 90s up until 2010 we probably had 4-5 in each grade

teams like blakeview came and went they tryed to make a team happen cross the road from elizabeth
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby HardenUp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:25 pm

Or get rid of the 'C divisions and go back to having D9 and D10 north/south :P[/quote]

I think some clubs will be able to bounce back and become strong again, but perhaps other struggling clubs need to look strongly at amalgamating.[/quote]

In Div 1 and 2 alone Goodwood, Henley, Port Districts, Portland, PHOS Camden, PNU and SMOSH West Lakes have all been products of mergers and amalgamations in living memory. Take out the Old Scholars sides and I suspect it would be the majority of clubs in the upper divisions?

Also, intriguingly, there doesn't seem to be a merged club (Unley/Mercedes isn't a merger) below Div 2. Is it possible there's something in this?[/quote]

Didn't Kenilworth merge with another team back in the day?
Edwardstown, I know aren't in SAAFL anymore, merged with another team to obtain entry back into the SAAFL - stayed below Div 2 until joining SFL[/quote]

Edwardstown have been Edwarstown since 1919 and have never merged. They joined SAAFL after the demise of SAFA and have never been BELOW Div 2.

Think you if have a squizz at the record books they did officially merge but did not take on the other clubs name or venue. Apologies about above, meant to say stayed above Div 2, not below. Also thought Towns have made two entries to the SAAFL
HardenUp

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:31 pm

HardenUp wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Suri wrote:I tend to agree with this, just hope that it never happens to your own club.

In Div 1 and 2 alone Goodwood, Henley, Port Districts, Portland, PHOS Camden, PNU and SMOSH West Lakes have all been products of mergers and amalgamations in living memory. Take out the Old Scholars sides and I suspect it would be the majority of clubs in the upper divisions?

Also, intriguingly, there doesn't seem to be a merged club (Unley/Mercedes isn't a merger) below Div 2. Is it possible there's something in this?

Didn't Kenilworth merge with another team back in the day?
Edwardstown, I know aren't in SAAFL anymore, merged with another team to obtain entry back into the SAAFL - stayed below Div 2 until joining SFL

No that would be Goodwood. Were a Glenelg-South Adelaide club, merged with St Raphael's and took their place in SAAFL

Camden (also from Glenelg South) did the same with Greek

Brighton (from SAFA) did the same with Brighton High Old Scholars

Henley District and Old Scholars did the same with Greek Camden (whilst the Camden component went off and merged with Plympton High Old Scholars)

Adelaide Tigers (also from SAFA) did the same with TransAdelaide/STA
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Pag » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Unfortunately, numbers in the northern suburbs have dropped off in the last 10 years due to kids being more interested in sitting in the local fast-food carparks smoking cones than playing football, at least at Under 16/18 level. I kid you not, you will find more adolescent males at Salisbury/Elizabeth/Munno Para Maccas on a Sunday afternoon than you would playing footy in the area.

I get the feeling not as much of this happens down Payneham/Walkerville/Broadview way... :weedman:
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:37 pm

HardenUp wrote:Edwardstown have been Edwarstown since 1919 and have never merged. They joined SAAFL after the demise of SAFA and have never been BELOW Div 2.

Think you if have a squizz at the record books they did officially merge but did not take on the other clubs name or venue. Apologies about above, meant to say stayed above Div 2, not below. Also thought Towns have made two entries to the SAAFL

Quite right, the original Edwardstown Football Club merged with the Black Forest Football Club to form a new club in 1938. The new club took the name Edwardstown and as a result Black Forest has been long forgotten.

Similar to what happened to Torrensville United when they merged with Lockleys in 1979 and what happened to Seacliff when they merged with Brighton in 1938.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby zedman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:37 pm

Yank Man wrote:The Goody Sts one is interesting. I was on the steering committee at Edwarstown in the early mid 90's where both clubs were pushing to join forces. Towns were a power club in SAFA and Goody's were struggling big time. The clubs couldn't reach terms and the Saints decided to go back and put their noses over the grindstone and work harder at it. Bet they are super happy with that decision now aye? Or they could be in SFL. :)

think you may have had a few shandies this afternoon yankman..

"The Goodwood Saints Football Club was established in 1985 with the amalgamation of Goodwood Football Club and St. Raphaels Football Club."

they never looked to join EFC in the mid 90s that i know of..they were already in A1 in 1991 and were not struggling at all..i would know because i played in the 1990 premiership! that flag put them in A1 and they have never looked back..do you really think after finishing 8th once they would panic and want to merge with EFC? maybe you meant back in the 80s not 90s?

"The club finished in 3rd position in 1991 and 1992, 5th in 1993 but slipped to 8th position in 1994. With the arrival in 1995 of coach Brenton Honor the club firmly set its sights on the A1 premiership. Following disappointments in both 1995 (6th) and 1996 (4th) Honor extracted the maximum from his squad in 1997 and the Saints came away with the ultimate, the A1 premiership."
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1086 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Yank Man » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:53 pm

zedman wrote:
Yank Man wrote:The Goody Sts one is interesting. I was on the steering committee at Edwarstown in the early mid 90's where both clubs were pushing to join forces. Towns were a power club in SAFA and Goody's were struggling big time. The clubs couldn't reach terms and the Saints decided to go back and put their noses over the grindstone and work harder at it. Bet they are super happy with that decision now aye? Or they could be in SFL. :)

think you may have had a few shandies this afternoon yankman..

"The Goodwood Saints Football Club was established in 1985 with the amalgamation of Goodwood Football Club and St. Raphaels Football Club."

they never looked to join EFC in the mid 90s that i know of..they were already in A1 in 1991 and were not struggling at all..i would know because i played in the 1990 premiership! that flag put them in A1 and they have never looked back..do you really think after finishing 8th once they would panic and want to merge with EFC? maybe you meant back in the 80s not 90s?

"The club finished in 3rd position in 1991 and 1992, 5th in 1993 but slipped to 8th position in 1994. With the arrival in 1995 of coach Brenton Honor the club firmly set its sights on the A1 premiership. Following disappointments in both 1995 (6th) and 1996 (4th) Honor extracted the maximum from his squad in 1997 and the Saints came away with the ultimate, the A1 premiership."

No, no shandies, lol. Edwardstown pushed for it because SAFA was about to tip over and it was an option for them to get in to SAAFL until the league decided to enter the SAFA teams under the 'Premier League' tag. Towns were given the Div 1 option when Athelstone knocked it back and went on to play in the GF against Adel Uni. 1995 if I remember. I was on the EFC board for 10 years and yes Saints even though short of troops back then made some really good choices after that. ;)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 327 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League