Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Gozu » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:10 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Gozu wrote:
Psyber wrote:A federal MP I knew in Melbourne told me nothing gets an issue to review at the cabinet table like lots of MPs getting lots of letters in the subject and being made nervous by them. No one letter counts for much, but it works if enough people join in. The same guy said petitions tend to get discounted on the grounds that people sign them without really caring whereas individual letters show they do care about the issue as it takes them more time to write their own letter.

A bit more on Bernardi's astroturfing:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/berna ... 1lqj7.html

FFS, that was October 2011. You just catching up on some old papers by the throne?

Don't get upset Jimmy, Psyber didn't appear aware of some of Bernardi's well known astroturfing tactics.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:14 am

Grahaml wrote:
dedja wrote:Why doesn't Cory Bernardi have the guts to run for a house of reps seat instead of being a parasite and hiding behind a senate donkey vote to get elected?

Maybe he's too scared his 'silent majority' theories would get found out.

Don't think we should have any good senators? I take it you feel the same about Senators from both sides. I guess Wong's been hiding behind a donkey vote too.

In a sense she has, how do you think a gay Asian woman would go winning a seat despite how talented she is?

We just saw the disgraceful treatment a female copped as PM too, the highest office in the land.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm not sure what disgraceful treatment she copped.
I, certainly, saw some disgraceful behaviour on her part
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Youtube, they suspended abbotts account apparently and rightly so!!!!!!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:I'm not sure what disgraceful treatment she copped.

Don't be an idiot Jimmy.

Fruit bowl/deliberately barren? Being asked by shockjocks if her husband was really gay? She should be put in a chaff bag and thrown overboard? She should be kicked to death?

Imagine the uproar if when as PM John Howard was asked by a radio host if Jeanette was a closet dyke, implying their marriage is a sham?

I'm not saying she was a great PM and I criticised her decisions plenty of times on here but the rank sexist treatment she copped as PM was to this country's great shame.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Serious question. How do the LNP voters on this forum feel about the Great Barrier Reef being damaged or old growth forests in Tasmania no longer protected. Forget ideology or whatever is THIS what you were voting for, and what you thought would happen?
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:02 pm

LL they have no social conscience!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Gozu wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Gozu wrote:
Psyber wrote:A federal MP I knew in Melbourne told me nothing gets an issue to review at the cabinet table like lots of MPs getting lots of letters in the subject and being made nervous by them. No one letter counts for much, but it works if enough people join in. The same guy said petitions tend to get discounted on the grounds that people sign them without really caring whereas individual letters show they do care about the issue as it takes them more time to write their own letter.
A bit more on Bernardi's astroturfing:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/berna ... 1lqj7.html
FFS, that was October 2011. You just catching up on some old papers by the throne?

Don't get upset Jimmy, Psyber didn't appear aware of some of Bernardi's well known astroturfing tactics.

I wasn't aware of his doing anything like that, and don't approve of it.
However, he had nothing to do with my post, which was quoting the former (and now restored) member for La Trobe, Jason Wood.
I knew Jason fairly well back then - he is also more Conservative than me.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Psyber » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:Serious question. How do the LNP voters on this forum feel about the Great Barrier Reef being damaged or old growth forests in Tasmania no longer protected. Forget ideology or whatever is THIS what you were voting for, and what you thought would happen?

I'm prepared to answer.

I am not happy about any risk to the reef, but I don't know how real the risk is or whether it is purely speculative, as I don't know the geography and current flow in sufficient detail to form my own opinion. I'd like to have seen a study to look at this done and published before any such activity occurred.

I'd like to see any forest preserved, but old trees do eventually die, and some extraction of trees on their last legs and their replacement to maintain the cycle may be feasible. Again I'd like to see a feasibility study before anything was permitted.

However, in the last election I was more concerned about the economic debt trend than other policies.
I may be socially liberal in some ways, but I am am economic conservative, and don't believe in borrowing more than you can guarantee you'll be able to pay for if conditions change.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Gozu wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:I'm not sure what disgraceful treatment she copped.

Don't be an idiot Jimmy.

Fruit bowl/deliberately barren? Being asked by shockjocks if her husband was really gay? She should be put in a chaff bag and thrown overboard? She should be kicked to death?

Imagine the uproar if when as PM John Howard was asked by a radio host if Jeanette was a closet dyke, implying their marriage is a sham?

I'm not saying she was a great PM and I criticised her decisions plenty of times on here but the rank sexist treatment she copped as PM was to this country's great shame.

Fruit bowl/deliberately barren? Both said before she was PM
The shockjock got sacked
I dont know about the rest
Gee, Keating gave out worse than that - Oh OK, it was OK because he aimed it at men
http://www.spectator.co.uk/australia/australia-features/8866781/the-abuse-of-power-2/
You want to be in politics - HTFU
She was hard
She didn't mind giving it back either
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:Serious question. How do the LNP voters on this forum feel about the Great Barrier Reef being damaged or old growth forests in Tasmania no longer protected. Forget ideology or whatever is THIS what you were voting for, and what you thought would happen?

I know of a liberal voter who is daily sharing great barrier reef and wa shark cull things on Facebook. Kind of want to tell him he may be voting for the wrong party.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:47 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
I know of a liberal voter who is daily sharing great barrier reef and wa shark cull things on Facebook. Kind of want to tell him he may be voting for the wrong party.

Unfortunately, there are other considerations in deciding whom to vote for - each party has good and bad components to its policies and practices and you have to go for what you think is the best balance until the perfect party magically comes along...
Psyber
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Very true. Just so close after voting and the reason why I can't settle on one political party.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:23 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Very true. Just so close after voting and the reason why I can't settle on one political party.

Yeah...
I chopped and changed a fair bit in the past and am still divided to some extent.
For me it is conservative economic policy that has tipped the balance towards the Libs in the last 15 years, though I was tempted to vote ALP just before they made Mark Latham their leader a few years ago - that swung me back.

I wasn't entirely happy with John Howard, and I must admit Tony does seem to be pushing my tolerance limits for social (as distinct from economic) conservatism a bit...
Psyber
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 pm

If they put Turnbull in and went with FTTH NBN sign me up for the libs
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Fair points. My issue is the economy goes up and down, but once the Barrier Reef is destroyed it's gone. No growing another one there. But at least the CEO and board of The North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation will have a few extra zeros at the end of their bank balances to brag about.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:Fair points. My issue is the economy goes up and down, but once the Barrier Reef is destroyed it's gone. No growing another one there. But at least the CEO and board of The North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation will have a few extra zeros at the end of their bank balances to brag about.

yep, 100% agree with this.

so maybe if the greens stopped being an economic basket case and shifted their economic policies closer to the centre, whilst retaining their strong record of conservatism i could even vote for them.

i would definitely describe myself as very strongly left on social issues, and centre or centre right on economic policies, so i guess that means in general the labor party are right for me. and even though i was pretty dissatisfied with labor in the past few years, it was more a sense of "who do i hate the least"

so im only in my late 20s right now, so i havent had two many elections, and only really in my late 20s has my interest in politics increased somewhat,

my question to you is, did people feel the same way about the previous prime ministers?

hawke, keating, and howard, with the benefit of time and hindsight, are all considered pretty decent leaders, whereas rudd/gillard/abbott have either been pretty either very uninspiring or downright horrible, depends on which side of the fence you are on.

is it rose coloured glasses, or are our leaders really that bad at the moment? plenty of old farts out there on SA footy, now is their time to chime in :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:31 pm

These days it's like pollies have all been cut from the same mold.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:13 am

Here comes WORK CHOICES!!!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 am

and that would be the end of these turkeys....bring it!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics