Ashes 5th Test Sydney Discussion (Pink Test)

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 5th Test Sydney Discussion (Pink Test)

Postby Punk Rooster » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:09 pm

The Poms could have learned something from Nathan Lyon, the batsman- he values his wicket.
Not once did he get out in 5 Tests.
Although, had they got him out once, he would have an average of 60- still far superior to anything the Poms had to offer...
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:48 am

What an absolute ******* disgrace. Half the ******* team up their own ******* arses and a ******* joke of a senior thwarting coach
How can a team d so ******* bad. ******* rabble who ducking thought a they had to do was ******* turn up. Taught a fu king lesson by a team that isn't that good but respect the *******
Three ******* lions my ******* arse, get back to the shithole IPL you ******* parasitic tossers with no ******* balls.

5 ******* 0
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 am

johntheclaret wrote:What an absolute ******* disgrace. Half the ******* team up their own ******* arses and a ******* joke of a senior thwarting coach
How can a team d so ******* bad. ******* rabble who ducking thought a they had to do was ******* turn up. Taught a fu king lesson by a team that isn't that good but respect the *******
Three ******* lions my ******* arse, get back to the shithole IPL you ******* parasitic tossers with no ******* balls.

5 ******* 0

How the hell did Greame Swan hack into JTC's SA Footy account???
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:25 am

JTC is Graeme Swan!!!

how funny is Montys latest innings and his attempt to lure an American blonde
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:55 pm

Coming out of the Ashes in England I was at least satisfied that we'd answered a few questions regarding our side. We were so unsettled before that at least knowing who half our side was at least meant it was a productive series in one regard. The worry for England is that not only have they been belted, but they have a lot more questions now than they had. There are (or have been) question marks over the Captain and Coach. Their spinner is gone, their backup spinner looks shot and the next bloke was playing grade cricket when he got the call. They seem to have no answer as to who their third seamer is. They have no idea who might be keeping. They don't know whether Pietersen will be around long, where to bat Bell or who will open with Cook. Outside of Cook opening and a Broad/Anderson opening bowling combo, there are 30 blokes in the mix. Including getting Collingwood out of retirement to captain.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:30 pm

johntheclaret wrote:What an absolute ******* disgrace. Half the ******* team up their own ******* arses and a ******* joke of a senior thwarting coach

5 ******* 0

Couldnt ******* put it ******* better myself.

******* Straya you ******* beauty! :D :D
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Grahaml wrote:Coming out of the Ashes in England I was at least satisfied that we'd answered a few questions regarding our side. We were so unsettled before that at least knowing who half our side was at least meant it was a productive series in one regard. The worry for England is that not only have they been belted, but they have a lot more questions now than they had. There are (or have been) question marks over the Captain and Coach. Their spinner is gone, their backup spinner looks shot and the next bloke was playing grade cricket when he got the call. They seem to have no answer as to who their third seamer is. They have no idea who might be keeping. They don't know whether Pietersen will be around long, where to bat Bell or who will open with Cook. Outside of Cook opening and a Broad/Anderson opening bowling combo, there are 30 blokes in the mix. Including getting Collingwood out of retirement to captain.

Well put Graham

Although I feel Carberry (apart from 1 innings) showed he was up to test cricket.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:39 pm

He showed a bit I guess, but I wonder whether he's at his peak. He's 32, presumably pushed his way in because he's in the form of his life. If he can only average 30 at his peak what will it be when he's struggling? Massive worry that he kept getting starts then getting out without going much past 30. I'm not ready to throw him on the scrap heap just yet, but I see more worrying signs than promising ones.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Grahaml wrote:Coming out of the Ashes in England I was at least satisfied that we'd answered a few questions regarding our side. We were so unsettled before that at least knowing who half our side was at least meant it was a productive series in one regard. The worry for England is that not only have they been belted, but they have a lot more questions now than they had. There are (or have been) question marks over the Captain and Coach. Their spinner is gone, their backup spinner looks shot and the next bloke was playing grade cricket when he got the call. They seem to have no answer as to who their third seamer is. They have no idea who might be keeping. They don't know whether Pietersen will be around long, where to bat Bell or who will open with Cook. Outside of Cook opening and a Broad/Anderson opening bowling combo, there are 30 blokes in the mix. Including getting Collingwood out of retirement to captain.

Alright Graham, don't go on about it, there's a good chap what :oops:
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Grahaml wrote:He showed a bit I guess, but I wonder whether he's at his peak. He's 32, presumably pushed his way in because he's in the form of his life. If he can only average 30 at his peak what will it be when he's struggling? Massive worry that he kept getting starts then getting out without going much past 30. I'm not ready to throw him on the scrap heap just yet, but I see more worrying signs than promising ones.

He's scored 10,000 first class runs @ 43 since is debut in 2001. Has played for 3 different county clubs although he has best performed for his current club Hampshire regularly scoring 1000 plus runs a season since 2007. Was only given the opener's spot because they decided to mess with where to bat Joe Root and ultimately cost him his position.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:28 am

Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Trader » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:20 am

Good story Jim, cheers for the link.
Pity it was factually inaccurate. There were 11 tons not 10, and 3 out of 10 is not 33% anyway.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

Well put Graham

Although I feel Carberry (apart from 1 innings) showed he was up to test cricket.

I thought he showed the complete opposite. If you can't leave the ball you aren't an opener. Age is also against him.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:11 pm

I've been watching Test cricket sine the days of Lillee and Thomson and the last time I saw such a complete lack of fight was when the Windies toured Australia and Brett Lee tore them a new one (2000?). But that West Indies side was pretty ordinary. England had no such excuse. Bell, Pieterson, Cook, Swann, Trott and Prior are quality players.

The experienced players really dropped the ball and dropped the younger blokes right in it. Cook battled hard but lost faith in his spinners and couldn't set a field in concrete. When your stock in trade is attritional, defensive cricket (which I mentioned in the England Ashes thread), it is very difficult to shift up a gear when confronted with an aggressive, confident opponent.

A good captain should be able to sum up the situation of a match and elect when to attack (which I believe is the way to go about 90% of the time) and when to defend. Cook and the English brains trust had no answer to what the Aussies dished out and a damming result is that they didn't get better at combatting what they knew was coming after the first test in Brisbane.

Beautiful.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:19 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:When your stock in trade is attritional, defensive cricket (which I mentioned in the England Ashes thread), it is very difficult to shift up a gear when confronted with an aggressive, confident opponent.

And that is what David Lloyd mentioned last night on 5AA which was quite valid- England firstly need to sit down and determine what brand of cricket they wish to play, one that will win them matches and get bums on seats (which the former isnt happening and the latter apparently has struggled for 18 months). Once that is determined, then it is about selecting the players capable of executing it.

A long road ahead for England (didnt see myself saying that 6 weeks ago).
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:26 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:When your stock in trade is attritional, defensive cricket (which I mentioned in the England Ashes thread), it is very difficult to shift up a gear when confronted with an aggressive, confident opponent.

And that is what David Lloyd mentioned last night on 5AA which was quite valid- England firstly need to sit down and determine what brand of cricket they wish to play, one that will win them matches and get bums on seats (which the former isnt happening and the latter apparently has struggled for 18 months). Once that is determined, then it is about selecting the players capable of executing it.

What I don't get is just how clueless Cook is as captain. I reckon anyone who has captained a cricket side at any level learns an enormous amount about the game. In my first season as Captain of the mighty WYC D Grade :D I made a bit of a hash it early on with defensive fields and not having enough faith in the bowlers. But the more I did it the better I got. Now if that is happening for a D grade scrubber how come someone who has forgotten more about Cricket than I ever knew in the first place didn't do the same?

Pressure is the obvious answer but they would have been under pressure in India, a venue at which Australia was thrashed. Perhaps Cook is a good captain, but just can't handle the pressure. Might have to get him down to WYC....

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Looks like a showdown between Flower and KP
http://m.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/fate- ... 30g99.html
Jim05
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

What I don't get is just how clueless Cook is as captain. I reckon anyone who has captained a cricket side at any level learns an enormous amount about the game. In my first season as Captain of the mighty WYC D Grade :D I made a bit of a hash it early on with defensive fields and not having enough faith in the bowlers. But the more I did it the better I got. Now if that is happening for a D grade scrubber how come someone who has forgotten more about Cricket than I ever knew in the first place didn't do the same?

Pressure is the obvious answer but they would have been under pressure in India, a venue at which Australia was thrashed. Perhaps Cook is a good captain, but just can't handle the pressure. Might have to get him down to WYC....

regards,

REB

Really good points,

I think part of it is that most proffesional sportsmen these days are so robotic and well drilled and structured they struggle to think or act outside the square.

Also the fact Cook has been so successful playing the one style I'm sure he would have kept 'faith' in it right to the end and no experience with plan b

The real test for him will come now that he has got time to really go away and assess and analysis all aspects of the performance, has he learnt and can he adapt now he has time to come up with a different style or his he a one trick pony

I thinks it's also fair to say while Cook captained shit it wasn't the deciding factor. Even Alan Border wouldn't have captained that side to test wins when they couldn't put 200 on the board
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Jim05
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Hey Jim
That's what we do. Oh and talk about the weather ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket