Internet service providers

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: Internet service providers

Postby dedja » Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 pm

So presumably you're familiar with Wimax, NuSkope use Ubiquiti AirMax antennas. Just a different way to skin a cat.

I'll leave the technical details for you to investigate.

The major differences apart from the wireless links themselves is that NuSkope has ensured that they have more than sufficient fibre backhaul, and have placed their antennas in better positions.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Both of those I'm also skeptical about, given the antennas are all put in mobile phone towers, and a company like Adam with huge market penetration in SA would also have massive backhaul compared to nuskope.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard good things about them too, just that your house position and subscription to your individual tower are likely the biggest causes of speed differences.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby dedja » Thu May 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Incorrect, I'm a 25 year IT professional so go for your life. :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Internet service providers

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Fair enough :)

I get most of my IT stuff from whirlpool so you likely know a lot more than me
bennymacca
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu May 29, 2014 12:38 pm

Check out the NuSkope thread under wireless ISPs then.

I rarely post on there but do have a look every now and then.

I've been liaising with their MD in the past week so have a reasonable insight into what he has done to build the company up.
dedja
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 29, 2014 12:43 pm

Is it in the same frequency band as Adam? 5.2 ghz or whatever it is.

And could I use the Adam gear to connect to them instead?

Do they have unlimited uploads too?

(I just emailed them the same questions too)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu May 29, 2014 12:46 pm

No, they use different antennas.

They have separate download and upload quotas, so if you are on a 150GB plan say, you have 150GB downloads and a separate 150GB upload allowance.

All content is metered.

Whereabouts are you Benny?
dedja
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Evanston park.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Browny25 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:15 pm

I joined up with NuSkope and havent had any issues thus far...

Only negative is where they placed the dish on my roof
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby mighty hounds » Thu May 29, 2014 6:20 pm

dedja wrote:It's different technology to Wimax, but yes, there can be congestion issues like any network. From my personal experience, NuSkope are putting in the right investment into their network to ensure that congestion issues are greatly minimised, something Adam have just about given up on.

You'll notice a huge difference if you swap from WiMAX to NuSkope's WDSL.

I'd be interested to see how nuskope go if they have the same amount of customers that Adam do. NuSkope aren't even in the same ball park compared to Wimax numbers. You reckon Adam have given up? Obviously don't know the in's and outs of it all then? Or the process Adam have to go through
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby dedja » Thu May 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Yes I do know and that's part of the reason NuSkope are successful.

Adam are utilising a wireless platform that attempts to strongly adhere to an (albeit partly unclear) industry standard, using regulated spectrum frequencies, and typically place their antennas on shared (telco) towers. Wimax is just a trade name and not a technology as such. The technology can work in conditions where there is not a clear line of sight.

This all means it's a relatively expensive and highly regulated exercise.

NuSkope are essentially using unregulated frequencies and are not bothering to adhere to the wireless standards as they are essentially providing a wifi network to deliver a WAN, using relatively inexpensive equipment that you and I could buy quite comfortably and deploy if we had the know how. They have built their own towers and utilise their own fibre for backhaul. WDSL is just their marketing and they utilise Ubiquiti AirMax equipment. Consequently, they require a clear line of sight to ensure a successful wifi link.

This means they have much lower costs, are more agile and don't have the regulated hassles that Adam do.

It's a clever model that delivers to an ever emerging niche market. They've been around for about 7 years so they're not fly by nighters either.

A few months old but an indication of why Adam's Wimax has had issues. Backhaul has been one of the causes of the degradation of performance over time.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/354201,ii ... aints.aspx

NuSkope, on the other hand, can deploy 'just in time' hardware on their network to expand as demand expands, provided they manage their backhaul capacity which they have successfully managed to date.

Both services are essentially stop gap until the NBN gets full penetration, but with that utopia maybe taking up to 10 years, it's a long time to wait if you can't currently get a DSL service or its a poor one.

So, an NBN service will be the best, followed by a good DSL service if you can get it. NuSkope's WDSL is not available everywhere but if you can get it I believe it ranks above any consumer ADSL service. If you can't get NuSkope but can get Adam's Wimax then that would be the next best option.

Just a note on my NuSkope service, I pay for a 12 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up connection, but get a steady 15 / 2.8 service. If I wish to, I can get up to a 25 /10 service. This is not something you can generally do on Wimax.

I doubt you'll get many, if any, Adam Wimax customers on a connection like this. If there is I'd like to hear about it.

dedja
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 pm

All you did was compare the two. I said how do you know that adam have given up on congestion problems? You wouldn't know unless you work within Adam. If they have given up why did they put a new tower in the northern suburbs to help congestion? For every 50 wimax antennas you have 5 nuskope antennas in a area so of course you're going to high speeds. Every sector on Adams towers that has less than 15 customers 95% of the time will run at there maximum capacity which I believe is 11.5 mbs dowload and .95 upload a roundabouts
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 pm

I said 'just about' and posted a link to previous backhaul issues. Doesn't mean they're not trying and the article in the link states how iiNet as the new owner were concerned about the issue and had a willingness to remediate.

I think I've articulated how NuSkope and Adam have different business models and therefore different client bases.

What do you think causes congestion by the way? Putting up a new tower is only possibly part of the solution, but won't do a thing if the bottleneck is elsewhere in the network. It does suggest however that they wish to continue and grow their services to market, presumably based on demand.

Just because McDonalds keep opening up new 'restaurants' doesn't mean the quality of their food is getting better. :yawinkle:

I also suggested that you could expect superior speeds on NuSkope. I'm on the default throttled plan getting 15 / 2.8 on an advertised 12 / 1. Compare that to your statement ... Every sector on Adams towers that has less than 15 customers 95% of the time will run at there maximum capacity which I believe is 11.5 mbs dowload and .95 upload a roundabouts. Congestion therefore doesn't come into the equation for a comparison of the services.

Happy to have a nerd fight but I believe I've made my point, doesn't mean you have to agree with it though.
dedja
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri May 30, 2014 8:38 am

Well I'm just estimating numbers to be precise you'd have to ask someone higher then me for exacts. My original point still stands. I'd like to see How'd nuskope would perform if they had the same amount of customers as adam do. The new blakeview tower has certainly helped with congestion. One of the sectors on smithfield has lost about 40 customers. Going from 78 on one down to 40 old.

Ps comparing maccas restaurants to internet? :lol: I bet if you opened a maccas in the same area the customers numbers could be halved due to having more options therefore making them both less busy.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 30, 2014 8:59 am

So my original assertion about congestion being the main driver in speeds was right after all?

:)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 30, 2014 9:00 am

Also MH do you throttle people at peak times? You will probably say no but my internet suspiciously has a marked increase in speed at 9pm every night.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 am

bennymacca wrote:So my original assertion about congestion being the main driver in speeds was right after all?

Congestion yes. I attend to many faults out north and down south because there's so many customers. Some are just lucky when it comes to numbers on some sectors. There's a bloke down east that has one of the magill sectors to himself. What area are you in benny?
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri May 30, 2014 9:43 am

bennymacca wrote:Also MH do you throttle people at peak times? You will probably say no but my internet suspiciously has a marked increase in speed at 9pm every night.

Generally I find speeds are slower through peak times. So before school say 7-9 am and after school 4-7 pm. That's mainly an issue though for people on congested sectors though.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 30, 2014 9:53 am

mighty hounds wrote:
bennymacca wrote:So my original assertion about congestion being the main driver in speeds was right after all?

Congestion yes. I attend to many faults out north and down south because there's so many customers. Some are just lucky when it comes to numbers on some sectors. There's a bloke down east that has one of the magill sectors to himself. What area are you in benny?

Evanston park, connected to Gawler south.

Have had lots of issues with stability and speed in the past, but it seems to be ok now. But it slows down a LOT in peak times, makes video streaming from YouTube or foxtel go not an option. But other than that it's good
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 am

bennymacca wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

Evanston park, connected to Gawler south.

Have had lots of issues with stability and speed in the past, but it seems to be ok now. But it slows down a LOT in peak times, makes video streaming from YouTube or foxtel go not an option. But other than that it's good

Have you ever rang through to get a tech out? You may be able to connect to the Gawler tower. Although very rarely have I been out that way and been able to connect to both of them
mighty hounds
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets