Android for a newbie

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Android for a newbie

Postby Sploosh » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:06 pm

I'm about to get my very first 'smart phone'; LG Optimus One through Optus. I've tried to do a bit of research into Android etc, but it's pretty confusing. Can anyone help with:-

1) Do I have to use the phone to search the android 'market' to find an app I like, and then somehow press a button and it downloads/installs nto the phone?

2) Is there an app that will let me listen to am radio stations?

3) Any good "Here is an easy to understand but comprehensive explanation of android and how it all works" kind of websites that you could direct me to?
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Android for a newbie

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:26 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes - there are most probably many available, but I use TuneIn Radio.
3. Get your phone, click the Market icon and browse away using the categories presented. I normally go to the "Free" ones and follow the bouncing ball to download it to your phone - this will be much like putting an icon/shortcut on your desktop.

Any questions, send them through.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 781 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby Westsider » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:49 am

Sploosh wrote:I'm about to get my very first 'smart phone'; LG Optimus One through Optus. I've tried to do a bit of research into Android etc, but it's pretty confusing. Can anyone help with:-

1) Do I have to use the phone to search the android 'market' to find an app I like, and then somehow press a button and it downloads/installs nto the phone?

2) Is there an app that will let me listen to am radio stations?

3) Any good "Here is an easy to understand but comprehensive explanation of android and how it all works" kind of websites that you could direct me to?

2) Yes, tuneinradio is great, HOWEVER it uses data to listen to the stream. So make sure you have a data pack on your plan. I think there's been 1 phone in the last 10 years that actually had an AM tuner built in.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dirko » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 am

Sploosh wrote:1) Do I have to use the phone to search the android 'market' to find an app I like, and then somehow press a button and it downloads/installs nto the phone? - Don't need to use the phone. You can download from the net from site such as http://androidsoft4u.com/ for example. You download from the site to your computer, then you just transfer them from the computer to the phone via the USB plug in.

2) Is there an app that will let me listen to am radio stations? refer gadg

3) Any good "Here is an easy to understand but comprehensive explanation of android and how it all works" kind of websites that you could direct me to?http://www.android.com/index.html
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Westsider » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:09 pm

SJABC wrote:
Sploosh wrote:1) Do I have to use the phone to search the android 'market' to find an app I like, and then somehow press a button and it downloads/installs nto the phone? - Don't need to use the phone. You can download from the net from site such as http://androidsoft4u.com/ for example. You download from the site to your computer, then you just transfer them from the computer to the phone via the USB plug in.

2) Is there an app that will let me listen to am radio stations? refer gadg

3) Any good "Here is an easy to understand but comprehensive explanation of android and how it all works" kind of websites that you could direct me to?http://www.android.com/index.html

Re: androidnsoft4u: Be careful about installing any 3rd party apps outside of the market. Could be malware or anything. I've heard 2 bad things about this site. Can't seem to find the link though.

Use the market as much as you can.

Also use www.appbrain.com. It's used in conjunction with the Android Market to install/uninstall/find/rate apps. Both paid and free.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby Sploosh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks very much. So it seems there is more than one place to get android apps from. I think i'll stick to main sites... can phones get a virus? (dumb question?)
Sploosh
Under 18s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Westsider » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Sploosh wrote:Thanks very much. So it seems there is more than one place to get android apps from. I think i'll stick to main sites... can phones get a virus? (dumb question?)

It's all software, so yes, phone can get a virus. Not so much right now, but in the future it will be as bad as PC's.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby Psyber » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Westsider wrote:
Sploosh wrote:Thanks very much. So it seems there is more than one place to get android apps from. I think i'll stick to main sites... can phones get a virus? (dumb question?)
It's all software, so yes, phone can get a virus. Not so much right now, but in the future it will be as bad as PC's.
Anything you download could be used as a vehicle for a virus or other malware if the numbers of users make it worth creating them.
At he moment apps for the iPhone may be a more likely target, but as Android phones are gaining market share fast that could change soon.
Similarly, if Mac computers had more market share there would be more Mac virus and malware produced.
No computer or phone OS is bulletproof despite the advertising.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby dedja » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:23 am

Can do, but more likely to have bugs ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1203 times

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets