Excel question

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Excel question

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:59 am

In a shared drive environment if a person goes to open an excel file that is already open by someone else, it comes up "read only" and that person cannot update and save the document.

Is there anyway to amend the excel file so this doesnt happen, so multiple people can access the file at the same time, edit it and save it?

If not possible its fine, just thought it might be?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 3832 times

Re: Excel question

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:05 am

Not with Excel mate, there's no version control system. You'd have to convert your data to something like access or get a big hat that the current user can wear letting others no he's in it.
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:19 pm

I used 2007 at a previous work location, and it was supported. It then asked "which changes should override" (yours or someone elses).

It doesn't seem to be supported in previous versions of excel though.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel ... 31033.aspx
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 781 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:02 pm

Thansk Gents
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby dedja » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:53 pm

I'm struggling to understand why you would want that anyway? :-??
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1203 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:42 am

dedja wrote:I'm struggling to understand why you would want that anyway? :-??
Yes it sounds risky - someone's work is going to be lost in the scenario gadj1976 describes..
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Psyber wrote:
Yes it sounds risky - someone's work is going to be lost in the scenario gadj1976 describes..

Not ideal I agree, but in most projects I've worked on where people don't communicate with each other, this is the best way. I normally use it on issues registers or project registers where cells are updated simultaneously. If you update one cell (say D5), and someone updates another (say T8), then both will be saved, alleviating the loss of data from either user.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:37 am

Dutchy wrote:In a shared drive environment if a person goes to open an excel file that is already open by someone else, it comes up "read only" and that person cannot update and save the document.

Is there anyway to amend the excel file so this doesnt happen, so multiple people can access the file at the same time, edit it and save it?

If not possible its fine, just thought it might be?

This is possible mate.

If you're using 2007, go to the 'Review' tab and hit the 'Share Workbook' icon. This will bring up a new window. In the 'editing' tab in the new window, check the box 'Allow shanges by more than one user at the same time'.

Then go to the 'Advanced' tab in the new window and check the settings. I would recommend selecting the option to 'Ask me which changes win' under the 'Conflicting chancges between users' option.

You can also set restrcitions on which network users can modify the spreadhseet and those that can only access it 'read-only'.

This has been possible with every version of Excel I've ever worked with.

gadj1976 wrote:
Psyber wrote:

Not ideal I agree, but in most projects I've worked on where people don't communicate with each other, this is the best way. I normally use it on issues registers or project registers where cells are updated simultaneously. If you update one cell (say D5), and someone updates another (say T8), then both will be saved, alleviating the loss of data from either user.

I've used this function LOADS in the past. For example:

We have a national end of month sales forecasting file, with a seperate tab for each state. This then feeds up into a national forecast. With 5 state analysts working on sales forecasts due on the last working day of each month, these guys will all want to use the file at the same time. So this multiple users function is brilliant.

It can be risky, but only if it's abused or not setup correctly in the first place.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:57 am

Nice work DA! I might find a use for that in the future and was completely ignorant of it. Must admit our work only recently switched from Lotus to Microsoft so Im learning new things all time.
Thanks again DA!
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby White Line Fever » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Hello, I too have an excel question.
I'm pretty sure there is a simple way around this one, but when i get an outlook email with an excel attachment, i need to update details on attachment then send back, but unless i save the spreadsheet onto my harddrive, make changes then save as, then email back separately it.

I want to be able to open attachment, change it, press save then reply back. alot quicker. But if i try it that way, it just sends back the original attachment with no changes?
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:15 pm

Wedgie wrote:Nice work DA! I might find a use for that in the future and was completely ignorant of it. Must admit our work only recently switched from Lotus to Microsoft so Im learning new things all time.
Thanks again DA!

No worries mate.
I'm an Excel tragic. Absolutely obsessed with it because it can do pretty much ANYTHING.
If you have any questions, fire away. There are stacks of forums filled with Excel nerds where I've learned most of my tricks too.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:18 pm

white line fever wrote:Hello, I too have an excel question.
I'm pretty sure there is a simple way around this one, but when i get an outlook email with an excel attachment, i need to update details on attachment then send back, but unless i save the spreadsheet onto my harddrive, make changes then save as, then email back separately it.

I want to be able to open attachment, change it, press save then reply back. alot quicker. But if i try it that way, it just sends back the original attachment with no changes?

When you open the attachement, the file will be saved in a temp folder on your hard-drive. Simply make your changes, press save, then go to the office button in the top left hand corner (for Excel 2007) and select 'Send', then 'Email'. This will take the current file you have open (including and changes) and attach it to an email, which you can fire back to whoever you need to.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby White Line Fever » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:21 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
white line fever wrote:Hello, I too have an excel question.

When you open the attachement, the file will be saved in a temp folder on your hard-drive. Simply make your changes, press save, then go to the office button in the top left hand corner (for Excel 2007) and select 'Send', then 'Email'. This will take the current file you have open (including and changes) and attach it to an email, which you can fire back to whoever you need to.

Brilliant.
Thanks
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Postby Dutchy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks DA, unfortuantely we are dealing with 2003 version :(
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:Thanks DA, unfortuantely we are dealing with 2003 version :(

Dutchy, instead of clicking the office button top left, in Excel 2003 you follow: File > Send To > Mail Recipient.

Does the same thing - just not as fancy as Excel 2007.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:Thanks DA, unfortuantely we are dealing with 2003 version :(

It's still available mate.

Just go to the 'Tools' menu and select 'Share Workbook'. Then follow the same process as I listed previously.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby prowling panther » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:13 pm

Thanks DA, I have been wondering the same thing, those that I have asked tell me it can be done, but didnt know how, I'll put that one in my tips'n'tricks folder
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby White Line Fever » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:16 am

I have another Excel question for the gurus.

Can I format a cell in a spreadsheet that has a date, to automatically put in today's date(or the current date) each time I open it?

Cheers
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:18 am

White Line Fever wrote:I have another Excel question for the gurus.

Can I format a cell in a spreadsheet that has a date, to automatically put in today's date(or the current date) each time I open it?

Cheers

Yes you can =Now()
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 660 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby White Line Fever » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:22 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
White Line Fever wrote:I have another Excel question for the gurus.

Cheers

Yes you can =Now()

Beefy your a legend.
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Next

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets