Anzac Day 2016

Anything!

Re: Anzac Day 2016

Postby Corona Man » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Because, even though they don't know what it's about it soaks into them, and becomes part of their psyche. One day they'll get it and all of that work you've done will result in kids like Corona's who keep the flame of respect alive.
You don't not take a kid to the footy because they don't understand it, why would you not take them to an Anzac Day service?

My eldest is nearly eight. She's come to two with me now. This year she asked several times in the lead-up if she could come.
I'm very proud of her. It is just another thing in our lives that keeps us close together.

Not wanting to get too far off topic here.... I reckon its really important to put stuff like Anzac Day, and maybe even religion in front of kids, and let them form their own opinions. I don't force my kids to come along to Anzac Day. They come along of their own accord. My kids go to/went to a school with a religious focus. It's not really my thing, but if my kids want to follow that path then that's fine too. In terms of Anzac Day - my lad is a Essendon follower, he even wears his Essendon gear to the morning service, has done for the past 5 or so years. I reckon he feels an affinity with the day through the game & Sheedy as much as anything else.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1280 times
Been liked: 3493 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Booney wrote:

That's why. What better way for them to learn.

Right, so if you think they can learn by going, you can also teach them to bloody well be quiet when required.

Im not talking any other scenario than ANZAC Day when we pay our respects to those that fought for us.

How respectful is it to diggers and other people to have a kid screaming during the minutes silence.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:07 pm

JK wrote: We owe it to those who sacrificed to make sure they are honoured, thanked and remembered for their sacrifices, for a long time to come.

Dogwatcher wrote:My eldest is nearly eight. She's come to two with me now. This year she asked several times in the lead-up if she could come.
I'm very proud of her. It is just another thing in our lives that keeps us close together.

Just reading these 2 paragraphs made me remember when I started learning about the ANZACs, Gullpoili and Anzac day at primary and high school. I remember being about grade 3 or 4 when we started learning about ANZAC day and it's value to the nation. In year 11 English we did a major project on it, learning about and reading the letters written by the ANZACs in the trenches at Gullpoili. It was amazing and that's where I started to gain the biggest appreciation for ANZAC day.

I'm guessing there's still a large amount of time spent learning about it in school's, especially around this time?
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10384 times
Been liked: 1532 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:09 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Booney wrote:

Right, so if you think they can learn by going, you can also teach them to bloody well be quiet when required.

Im not talking any other scenario than ANZAC Day when we pay our respects to those that fought for us.

How respectful is it to diggers and other people to have a kid screaming during the minutes silence.

Again, try and control a kid when the kid doesn't want to be controlled....regardless of the occasion.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7517 times
Been liked: 10811 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:11 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Because, even though they don't know what it's about it soaks into them, and becomes part of their psyche. One day they'll get it and all of that work you've done will result in kids like Corona's who keep the flame of respect alive.
You don't not take a kid to the footy because they don't understand it, why would you not take them to an Anzac Day service?

My eldest is nearly eight. She's come to two with me now. This year she asked several times in the lead-up if she could come.

Not wanting to get too far off topic here.... I reckon its really important to put stuff like Anzac Day, and maybe even religion in front of kids, and let them form their own opinions. I don't force my kids to come along to Anzac Day. They come along of their own accord. My kids go to/went to a school with a religious focus. It's not really my thing, but if my kids want to follow that path then that's fine too. In terms of Anzac Day - my lad is a Essendon follower, he even wears his Essendon gear to the morning service, has done for the past 5 or so years. I reckon he feels an affinity with the day through the game & Sheedy as much as anything else.

I agree with you about religion.
I'm a vocal atheist, but I send my kids to a religious school because I know they'll be getting a good education.
They come home singing songs about Jesus being great and talk about what they're taught.
I could easily scoff, but I let them talk about it and I ask, gentle, questions about the things they've been taught.
One day, they'll decide whether church is for them, or not.
Even though I'm not religious, I do think it's important for kids to have some knowledge about Christianity. Whether we like it or not, Christianity plays a role in our lives, plus there are so many reference points in society and popular culture that it's good for them to understand where these things come from.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Booney wrote:

I'm sure the Diggers would rather young children there than not, many of them would have heard worse screams during their lives...

Interestingly, I had a three year old making ample noise near me yesterday morning. She was very vocal about her Dad and brother laying a wreath and was excited to see them coming back to her. Her father was wearing a RAAF uniform.
I certainly wasn't going to throw a withering glance in their direction.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:16 pm

My god people, i'm not talking about excited kids, I'm talking full on screaming tanti's.

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby The Bedge » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Footy Chick wrote:My god people, i'm not talking about excited kids, I'm talking full on screaming tanti's.

You.. have.. no idea :lol:

Anyway though, whilst on the subject - nothing shits me more than at footy games during a moments silence when some bogan supporter feels the need to yell out! :evil:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby cennals05 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:21 pm

Footy Chick wrote:My god people, i'm not talking about excited kids, I'm talking full on screaming tanti's.

Again kids up to a certain age are going to throw tanti's at the worst possible time. Unless of course you were a perfect child who never once threw a tanti in public then we really shouldn't be judging. The amount of parent shaming that goes on these days is disgraceful. It seems as soon as child makes a noise anywhere in public the disapproving looks start. A little bit of understanding and empathy in these situations goes along way. I don't have kids but I understand that it is the hardest job on Earth and no matter how great a parent you are, you are not always going to be able to control when they cry or scream.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:23 pm

cennals05 wrote: Unless of course you were a perfect child who never once threw a tanti in public.

Far from a perfect child - in fact probably the opposite, but never chucked a tanti in public.. because I would've got a boot straight up my backside quick smart :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:29 pm

This quote doesn't reflect that:

Footy Chick wrote: Right, so if you think they can learn by going, you can also teach them to bloody well be quiet when required.

However, if you're talking about "full on screaming tanti's", my response reacts to that:

Dogwatcher wrote: I'm sure the Diggers would rather young children there than not, many of them would have heard worse screams during their lives...

It's usually only one kid having a tanti, if it happens (I've rarely heard a tanti during these services). It's disappointing, but I'm sure, generally, the parent's embarrassment probably weighs heavy on them in that situation and probably outlasts any sense of disappointment you're feeling.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:30 pm

And...I used to think this way before I had kids.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Zartan wrote:
cennals05 wrote: Unless of course you were a perfect child who never once threw a tanti in public.

Far from a perfect child - in fact probably the opposite, but never chucked a tanti in public.. because I would've got a boot straight up my backside quick smart :lol:

Bingo.

Footy Chick

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:And...I used to think this way before I had kids.

Would anyone else like to throw this back in my face whilst we're here?

Footy Chick

Postby tipper » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Zartan wrote:

id bet your parents remember that differently, unless you are the only person in existence that can accurately remember details from when they were a toddler......

all kids chuck tantis at inappropriate times. its part of being a parent that your kids will do it to you at some point, and it is usually the absolute worst possible time
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:53 pm

Footy Chick wrote:

Sorry, I mentioned this as a point about myself and that it was something I had previously thought about. It has framed my decision-making and thought processes around Anzac Day - it is a day I think deeply about and have done so since I was a kid. It was not about you or your thought processes. Apologies if you took it that way.
I'd hope you know I'm not that insensitive.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:56 pm

tipper wrote:id bet your parents remember that differently, unless you are the only person in existence that can accurately remember details from when they were a toddler......

haha yeah no doubt, I'm sure there probably were times :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:10 am

In previous post someone mentioned about judgemental looks from onlookers at parents... I am taking my kids (will be 4&2 when we leave) to Europe! I am going to be that person, who everyone will probably hate :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3030 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:33 am

Flying home over night from Singapore last year I could only feel for little Blake's parents. I felt for the rest of the plane too, especially us right behind them, but the little bloke cried from take off at 11pm Adelaide time in Singapore to 3:30am Adelaide time, about 3 hours from touching down. He just didn't ******* stop. :lol: They were at each other, Dad was trying to restrain him, physically, only to have the kid buck and writhe around, then he'd almost settle and we'd hit the smallest bump and "WAAAAA WAAAAA". Simply nothing they could do. They filled him with warm milk hoping to quiet him down, all that did was threaten to come up when he cried himself into a coughing fit. Mum had mascara all down her face from the tears, Dad was in tears....poor bastards. At one point I was contemplating just getting out the plane. :lol:

But hey, enjoy your trip. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7517 times
Been liked: 10811 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:38 am

Footy Chick wrote:

Nah I still think this way and I've got kids

My kids aren't perfect nor am and I when it comes to being a parent.

I also can't say they are perfectly behaved but they are aware of when it is and isn't right to miss-behave (special events: weddings, going out, public ceremonies) - always have been even as toddlers

Key was establishing boundries early and sitting limits on behaviour - you want to be cheeky and naughty - face consequences. Guess what when you're an adult there are going to boundaries and limits to normal behaviour so start geting used to it now.

The key is getting in early whent they start to escalate, following through with reasonable punishments (we've never struck our kids) and and both parents being a united team.

Other aprents we know give in and weaken to poor behaviour and so the kid knows they can get away with it by ramping up the tanty until it get's it's way.

To my old mate Jimmy from Darwin HS, as we said our goodbyes at 4 am in the morning at the end of year 12 break up paprty - "Discipline your kids Mody, discipline you kids"

I have mate

Zartan wrote:

Never had a boot up my backsiode -"The Look" from Mum and Dad was enough.... *no words were needed*
Last edited by am Bays on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion