Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:01 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I hope you provided similar feedback when they came to clear your table

Yes, I felt badly for the poor young girl because she said that she had received several bad comments. I was quite polite to her but the table next to us was quite rude to her.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:16 pm

Jim05 wrote:Went to the Gawler Arms for a Birthday last night, meals all come with a salad and dessert bar.
Ordered a 400g Porterhouse cooked medium with garlic sauce for $28.
Porterhouse came out well overcooked, have had beef jerky not as chewy as this steak. Came with about 5 burnt chips that tasted like they were cooked at lunch and a garlic sauce that was just a thick gluggy mix of flour and water without even a hint of garlic.
Main meal 2/10 as I didnt even eat two mouthfuls of it.
Salad bar was ok although a smallish selection, the chicken and vegetable soup was tasty, 6/10
Dessert was the only highlight of the night, real good assortment consisting of stewed peaches and nectarines, fruit pudding, apple crumble and my old favourite creamed rice. Soft serve icecream machine a bonus 7.5/10
Other meals at our table were not flash either, the herbed flathead was dry and like cardboard,, the calamari was like rubber bands and appeared to be the frozen stuff from the supermarket. Both chicken snittys were that overcooked they were on the verge of being bricks. All varities of gravies/sauces were a thick gluggy mess.
Wont be going back soon
4/10 overall, the dessert prevented it being a 2/10

the "food and pokies" pubs in gawler (arms, southern, willaston) are a disgrace imo. I'm glad there are now some other really good places to eat because otherwise i wouldn't eat in gawler.

unfortunately my pop thinks the southern is amazing and ill be going there in a week for his birthday
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Went to the Gawler Arms for a Birthday last night, meals all come with a salad and dessert bar.
Porterhouse came out well overcooked, have had beef jerky not as chewy as this steak. Came with about 5 burnt chips that tasted like they were cooked at lunch and a garlic sauce that was just a thick gluggy mix of flour and water without even a hint of garlic.
Salad bar was ok although a smallish selection, the chicken and vegetable soup was tasty, 6/10
Dessert was the only highlight of the night, real good assortment consisting of stewed peaches and nectarines, fruit pudding, apple crumble and my old favourite creamed rice. Soft serve icecream machine a bonus 7.5/10
Other meals at our table were not flash either, the herbed flathead was dry and like cardboard,, the calamari was like rubber bands and appeared to be the frozen stuff from the supermarket. Both chicken snittys were that overcooked they were on the verge of being bricks. All varities of gravies/sauces were a thick gluggy mess.
Wont be going back soon

the "food and pokies" pubs in gawler (arms, southern, willaston) are a disgrace imo. I'm glad there are now some other really good places to eat because otherwise i wouldn't eat in gawler.

unfortunately my pop thinks the southern is amazing and ill be going there in a week for his birthday

Well grit your teeth and get on the punt.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:18 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Wont be going back soon

I agree with your sentiments although I must admit that I went to the Southern two weeks ago for a Birthday and despite having the exact same menu and owners as the Gawler Arms the food was of a far better standard, Porterhouse cooked exactly to my liking and the garlic sauce was delicious, everyone else on our table commented on how good the meal was aswell. The only thing I put it down to is the Chef/kitchen hands being better at the Southern
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Hampstead Hotel

Overall an 8/10. 25% off voucher kept in under $30. Salad and veg bar was up there with the best.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 848 times

Postby kickinit » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Wallaroo marina hotel. View is amazing looking out to the marina. Food was well and truly outstanding. Easily the best meal i've ever had. It is a bit on the pricey side to what you would expect to pay at a hotel, but the food and views are definitely worth it.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Spargo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:08 am

kickinit wrote:Wallaroo marina hotel. View is amazing looking out to the marina. Food was well and truly outstanding. Easily the best meal i've ever had. It is a bit on the pricey side to what you would expect to pay at a hotel, but the food and views are definitely worth it.

We're heading to Yorkes now, having lunch there Tuesday. Looking forward to to it.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Ash Man » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:48 pm

Spargo wrote:
kickinit wrote:Wallaroo marina hotel. View is amazing looking out to the marina. Food was well and truly outstanding. Easily the best meal i've ever had. It is a bit on the pricey side to what you would expect to pay at a hotel, but the food and views are definitely worth it.

We're heading to Yorkes now, having lunch there Tuesday. Looking forward to to it.

In Wallaroo go to the Weeroona pub for lunch. Best and biggest pub meals I've seen for ages.
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby kickinit » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:30 pm

The Ash Man wrote:
Spargo wrote:

In Wallaroo go to the Weeroona pub for lunch. Best and biggest pub meals I've seen for ages.

is that on the woodland side or the other side of the main street? Both of those 2 pubs look so run down and dirty there's no way I would eat from one of them.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby stan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:59 pm

kickinit wrote:
The Ash Man wrote:
Spargo wrote:

is that on the woodland side or the other side of the main street? Both of those 2 pubs look so run down and dirty there's no way I would eat from one of them.

Book, cover.....
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby The Ash Man » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:52 am

kickinit wrote:
The Ash Man wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Other side of railway tracks.
I'd rather eat a good meal there than an overpriced piece of shit at the marina with a good view
The Ash Man
Coach

Postby White Line Fever » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:03 am

House of Chow

Cnr Hutt St & Wakefield St, City

This is my number place to eat on earth.
Coffin Bay Oysters - Kilpatrick starter
Chicken & Mushroom Soup

And then the ultimate meal..

Black Pepper Chicken
With a serve of special fried rice

Nothing compares.
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Stumps » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:39 am

Been around a while must be doing something right!! Have to try it
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby kickinit » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:51 pm

The Ash Man wrote:Other side of railway tracks.
I'd rather eat a good meal there than an overpriced piece of shit at the marina with a good view

So you must have a issue with the new marina hotel? I wouldn't even let my dog eat at the other hotels they are that dirty. I actually thought they had closed down by the look of them, but no there still there, but obviously struggling for business.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:35 pm

White Line Fever wrote:House of Chow

Cnr Hutt St & Wakefield St, City

This is my number place to eat on earth.
Coffin Bay Oysters - Kilpatrick starter
Chicken & Mushroom Soup

And then the ultimate meal..

Black Pepper Chicken
With a serve of special fried rice

Nothing compares.

Would you believe I've never eaten there since it re-opened?

it was my local chinese shop back when I was a kid, in the beautiful old building on the other side of the road. Mum used to send me with $2.00 every sunday to get a large special fried rice. We were distraught when they demolished it and I vowed never to eat at the new restaurant - and I still never have.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Ash Man » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:14 pm

kickinit wrote:
The Ash Man wrote:Other side of railway tracks.

So you must have a issue with the new marina hotel? I wouldn't even let my dog eat at the other hotels they are that dirty. I actually thought they had closed down by the look of them, but no there still there, but obviously struggling for business.

I ate at both last weekend and Weeroona shit all over the Marina.
Also didn't help that staff at the Marina accused me of not paying or ordering when I asked where my meal was after everyone else I was with had finished
The Ash Man
Coach

Postby Pag » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:19 pm

Agree with Ash Man, the Weeroona serve top food and all the staff I've encountered there have been really nice people.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:16 pm

Has anyone been to the Carlisle at Ethelton?

Thinking of giving it a go soon.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:55 pm

HH3 wrote:Has anyone been to the Carlisle at Ethelton?

A little above standard pub fare. Cost wise too.

2-3 months ago the salad / vegie bar was excellent range and quality.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby JK » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:34 pm

HH3 wrote:Has anyone been to the Carlisle at Ethelton?

Quite a few of my mates go there (I think mostly because kids eat free). Tried it out with them once, meal was pretty basic and inexpensive, but there was nothing wrong with it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion