How do i answer this

Anything!

Re: How do i answer this

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:58 pm

I don't think there is a silent majority any more - everyone has their chance to have their say.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:00 pm

Your response to the considered responses you received suggests you weren't looking to find an actual response, just to verify and air you own beliefs on the issue.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:06 pm

stampy wrote:oh and as usual its the do gooders with the loudest voices
can anyone please explain why being disrespectful and being disobedient then be rewarded for it does anyone any good??????
sorry for not being one of the silent magority

I'm not trying to find an argument here - I was trying to find out some insight into the situation so I had a better understanding..

a) What school is it?
b) How are they being rewarded - by having this separate room?
c) How do you know they aren't being punished and dealt with in this room? What happens in there? How do you know they get to do whatever?
d) Have you asked the school about it?
e) Is you concern that there is an "exclusive room", that is has food and electronics in there or that they are sent there when they misbehave - or all of the above?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4045 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:07 pm

I don't think that is fair on stampy, I think his question was legitimate. As I said I would also be flummoxed if asked that question and in reasonably well educated. In my 45 years I have never encountered this before
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:10 pm

Brodlach wrote:I don't think that is fair on stampy, I think his question was legitimate. As I said I would also be flummoxed if asked that question and in reasonably well educated. In my 45 years I have never encountered this before

The question was very fair and legitimate - the response to others responses wasn't so great..

stampy wrote:so i should tell my lad that its one rule for white people and another for the indigenous people?? and i should also pretend that i agree with all this tripe like a lot of misguided people are??

stampy wrote:people like yourself cant see the woods for the trees, you say i should tell my kids to put up with unfair treatment!

stampy wrote:i need to educate myself you say, you mean fall into line and just stfu and let this rubbish continue
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4045 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:19 pm

Thus why I said the question was legitimate not some of the responses
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby stampy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:09 pm

Zartan wrote:
stampy wrote:deadly serious, people like yourself cant see the woods for the trees, you say i should tell my kids to put up with unfair treatment! are you fair dinkum?!

Listen bud, don't even act like you have any sort of idea what it's like to be a young aboriginal lad growing up. You talk about preferential treatment and different rules for different people, but you have absolutely no idea - you see what you want to see, you believe what you want to believe!

I grew up in a single parent household, one of 4 kids that my mum raised on her own. She had no job, or license and had depression issues which then resulted in a alcohol dependency. Despite this, was still fed, cleaned, clothed and had a roof over our heads and were grateful for what we had.

Went to a primary school where I was the only aboriginal kid, and there was one kid from Iran and the rest were white kids from affluent households and parents who openly would look down on people who were different. If it wasn't hard enough fitting in as the only black kid, there was the embarrassment that came with not having the money others had - not being able to afford to go on camps or trips or whatever, not having the latest Nike shoes or whatever.. it's not easy fitting in with your peers, and kids can be incredibly cruel at times.

People couldn't relate because they weren't or didn't experience these things, and constantly had to deal with the stigma that all aboriginals were lazy, disrespectful no hopers who got everything given to them on a platter and constant hand outs. It reached a point where I was beginning to feel embarrassed and ashamed of my background. Being the butt of every aboriginal joke going around, being called a "boong" or a "coon" wasn't a great feeling.

There were no support networks at school, I was constantly in trouble for being the class clown and rapidly heading in the wrong direction because it was easier for the school to suspend me than anything else, and my distain and lack of interest/respect for school and learning environments reflected how I perceived their interest in me.

I've seen other families/communities that are low socio-economic that have it a lot worse than what I had it, and the barriers they have to overcome just to get to school in the first place.. don't underestimate just how difficult that can be sometimes on its own.

I'm not saying these rooms are the perfect answer in schools, but do not for one minute think that aboriginal students are put on a pedestal above your own, and that they are receiving preferential treatment - you don't have any idea what these kids are dealing with behind the scenes or at home, and until you understand the difficulties surrounding growing up in that environment then you'll never really know what it's like.

Despite what people believe happens to black people, I never got hand outs, I never got preferential treatment, I did everything the hard way. I work hard, I pay tax, I contribute to society and I'm determined to make sure my children get the best upbringing that can get, and in turn they continue on with their kids and make a better life in the long run. That includes being open minded and accepting of other people and cultures whilst also being very proud of their own.

Harped on long enough, probably haven't even made any sense and gone off topic - the bottom line is though if schools etc. don't TRY something to help these kids change or improve then they are only contributing to prolonging the problem longer, and then your kids and grandkids will still perceive aboriginal people in the same light that many other rednecks do still... and it's a vicious roundabout that continues on and on..

No one is perfect, no "race" is perfect - I'm sure there are plenty of Anglo-Saxon kids in schools that act the same way and probably have similar setups at some schools.

i never said i had any idea what it was like to be indigenous bud
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 336 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby stampy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:12 pm

ahhh the head kahuna doesnt like something he reads so uses the old delete post button, still pathetic i see
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby stampy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:13 pm

Zartan wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I don't think that is fair on stampy, I think his question was legitimate. As I said I would also be flummoxed if asked that question and in reasonably well educated. In my 45 years I have never encountered this before

The question was very fair and legitimate - the response to others responses wasn't so great..

stampy wrote:so i should tell my lad that its one rule for white people and another for the indigenous people?? and i should also pretend that i agree with all this tripe like a lot of misguided people are??

stampy wrote:people like yourself cant see the woods for the trees, you say i should tell my kids to put up with unfair treatment!

stampy wrote:i need to educate myself you say, you mean fall into line and just stfu and let this rubbish continue

hey wedgie balls up and reinstate the post
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:18 pm

I didn't delete any posts stampy.....
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Just checked the moderators log which all moderators have access to and no posts have been deleted by anyone in this topic mate.
What did the post say and who wrote it?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby valleys07 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:30 pm

Thanks for sharing Zartan!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby stampy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:50 pm

[quote="HH3"]If you've ever seen me discuss something with Wedgie, we're usually butting heads, not agreeing.

Don't ask a question if you already think you know the answer

i have an opinion whether you think its right or not is up to you
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Postby Jase » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:52 pm

Stampy, hey mate... Not having a crack or anything so please don't think I am... I'm just wondering if you have seen this room for yourself, or are you going off of what Young Stampy has said?

The reason I ask is I have a couple of young fellas (12 and 13) and I work at the school that they attend. Some of the stuff that they tell me with regards to what they have seen or think happens isn't actually the case. They get the info 2nd hand and it's not accurate...

So I would suggest ringing the school and getting the full story.
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1497 times
Been liked: 563 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:04 pm

Great question stampy! Its started a stimulating conversation.
Some posters have nailed it in one.
A warm bed, a decent meal, steady family environment is something our kids take for granted.
However, this isnt the soul domain of indigenous kids. Lots and lots of non indigenous kids don't have the basics either.
Do they have the same type of refuge when they get cranky? Answer... yes.
Obviously for cultural reasons they have a room just for them. In these rooms during time out they should be learning about their culture and not just an internet free for all .
Teach the lad tolerance mate. He'll work it out.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 509 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:27 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/community/aboriginal

Yeah I've already looked it up but it seems more tailored for groups.

Throw a bunch of loganberries on the field the next time you go to an AFL game, then you'll get a personal invitation to the course!
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:35 pm

Zartan wrote:
MW wrote:At the end of the day, kids will not understand why others get more advantages than them when they do the wrong thing and get rewarded just because they are indigenous. IMO it breeds a dislike into the kids towards them which ironically is what everyone is trying to stamp out.

And kids will also not understand how underprivileged some other kids are in different homes until it's explained to them properly and they're made aware.

Simple things that most take for granted like a good breakfast, healthy diet, fresh new clothes and shoes, stable family life.. these are things most people give no second thought to.

Everything you have said has been perfect mate.

It's a very fine line with that conversation as well because you don't want the child to think ALL Indiginous people come from disadvantaged homes or unstable family life because that would possibly give the kid a stigma and potentially want to avoid interaction with those children.

It's such a tough topic to explain to the child.

If the teachers or schools won't assist is there any other agencies or sources that can provide kid friendly information
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5616 times
Been liked: 2543 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:42 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/community/aboriginal

Yeah I've already looked it up but it seems more tailored for groups.

Flick Paul Vandenbergh an email, I'd say it's likely a group would need a spot filled at some point ( if they have a minimum number for the group programs ) or there may be people, like you, who want to attend a program but not as part of a group.

Paul Vanderbergh will definitely help you out as would Ross Wait who is also amazing at his job and always looking to help
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5616 times
Been liked: 2543 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Brodlach » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:56 pm

I asked my boys about this (13&14) and both said their schools didn't have such rooms to their knowledge.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Brodlach wrote:I asked my boys about this (13&14) and both said their schools didn't have such rooms to their knowledge.

The school my niece will soon attend down in the Seaford area has such facilities, the building is in an enclosed yard that the non-indigenous children are asked not to enter into.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7527 times
Been liked: 10836 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion