Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:54 pm

Ouch
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11911 times
Been liked: 3626 times

Postby JK » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:18 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Went to the Grange Hotel for lunch this week.

View was good, service was good, food was good. Just a bit pricey but some of the seafood platters looked outstanding. We had combination platters and an assortment of finger foods and it was all tasty and prepared and presented well.

8/10

My favourite pub .. Food has been excellent for as long as I can remember (20+ years), but you're right it is a bit pricier, especially in the restaurant. Worth it though still Imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:07 pm

MatteeG wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Seacliff hotel

Ordered a Italian Job pizza and it was very nice. Full of flavour.
Mrs had a Trio of Seafood which she thoroughly enjoyed and I had a nibble of the fish and calamari and it was very light.

Used the ent voucher for 25% off.

Came to $50 with drinks and bruschetta

Id give it a 7.5

Definitely will go back

Good to hear someone enjoying a meal there. We had 3 of 6 orders **** up there about 3 years ago and havent been back. Problems included raw beef stirfry and some entrees coming out after others' mains.

Not surprising - this is why I drink there & never eat there.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5521 times
Been liked: 5156 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:11 pm

http://www.harrysongrenfell.com.au

We went here for lunch. 10 buck burger and beer. I thought, this will be good....

The beer was tap beer or a glass of wine (pint of beer). Wine was up to 8.5 a glass. I had a Heineken which would've been about 8.0 a pint.

The burgers were a Coles'ish type bun, not toasted with either a beef, vegie or minute steak. I had the beef burger which was fine. The minute steak was minute (my-newt) but nice (apparently).

Overall, we all said it was good value. I wouldn't go there for food alone but we will go back.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:19 am

Heading up to the mother-out-laws on Saturday night at Ingle Farm, stopped at Grand North to use the voucher from the entertainment book.

The beef schnitzel eater ate his, the chicken schnitzel eater ate hers. The salt and pepper chicken eater didn't finish, neither did the salt and pepper squid eater.

I went "Peppered Rump". Just about the shittiest piece of meat I've been served. Full of gristle, way over cooked and dry ( I like mine medium ), I think the mash was from a packet.... :shock:

The "salad/veggie" bar had peas, carrots and beans all in separate trays in the bain marie, all about an inch deep in water. The roast spuds were not peeled, still had small eyes on them and were covered in diced packet bacon and loads of cheese! WTF?

The salad consisted of a barely there greek salad, a horrible looking crab stick/seafood salad with celery and a dressing, tinned baby beetroot and corn. The bread rolls got delivered on Friday and might have had a zap to warm / harden them.

Saw a waitress drop one of the little plastic holders that the wine list sits in ( you know the ones, the little laminated cards sit in them ) and all she did was kick it towards the wall out of the way. I watched her walk past it 4 times and she looked at it on 3 occasions.

So, you can imagine this reviewer won't be suggesting this place to anyone, nor rushing back in a hurry.

Food 1.5 / 10. Service / staff 4 / 10.

Clearly the meals are there to keep the pokie players happy as when I went for a flutter there were 2 off $1 machines empty in a room of 40.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:26 am

that certainly is a horror story!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:40 am

Went to The Taxpayer with a few of the lads after hearing good things.

The Al Capone burger has had good reviews and the two that ordered it were impressed. I love a good pulled pork burger so ordered the Paul Hogan. It was disappointing. Pork was flavourless, the slaw was overpowering and the bun fell apart and left me with a pile of shit on my plate.

It also pissed me off that they had stocked hardly any of the beers listed in their beer menu.

Might go back to try the Al Capone, but won't be in a rush.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:53 am

Q. wrote:Went to The Taxpayer with a few of the lads after hearing good things.

The Al Capone burger has had good reviews and the two that ordered it were impressed. I love a good pulled pork burger so ordered the Paul Hogan. It was disappointing. Pork was flavourless, the slaw was overpowering and the bun fell apart and left me with a pile of shit on my plate.

It also pissed me off that they had stocked hardly any of the beers listed in their beer menu.

some would say it was criminal...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3032 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:56 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Q. wrote:Went to The Taxpayer with a few of the lads after hearing good things.

some would say it was criminal...

Are you talkin' to me?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:57 am

If you have a beer menu and more than one of them is sold out you should hand back your pub licence.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby HH3 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:10 am

Went to the Ed Castle for tea again last night.

Last time we went, about a year ago, the menu was all $10. Everything on the menu was different from what you would get at a normal pub. But this time, its all schnittys and salt n pepper squid. Now there's a base $10 menu, but if you want chips, or a sauce on your schnitty, its extra.

I ended up getting the sausage dish ( ;) ) and it was probably the best of the meals on the table.

4 others got variations of schnittys, which were a bit small. The missus got the mac n cheese (the only meal still left over from the old menu) which was quite nice.

Drink specials are pretty good there. $15 jugs of cider, beer and mojitos. The missus was quite happy (and drunk) by the time we finished tea.

Pretty chilled out atmosphere. If you don't mind looking at a heap of trendy motherf**kers all night, this is a good spot.

7/10

Will go back at some point.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:30 am

im tipping if the missus was happy and drunk you will make it a regular eatery
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:43 am

bennymacca wrote:If you have a beer menu and more than one of them is sold out you should hand back your pub licence.

Especially when it's a Sierra Nevada
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:47 am

Q. wrote:
bennymacca wrote:If you have a beer menu and more than one of them is sold out you should hand back your pub licence.

Especially when it's a Sierra Nevada

Haha yeah that is definitely not on. They make the best beer on the planet
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby HH3 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:49 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:im tipping if the missus was happy and drunk you will make it a regular eatery

If thats the case, it won't be the only "regular eatery" ;) ;)
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Pag » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Got sucked in to eating at The Village Tavern on Saturday night, despite previous protests. My calamari was just rubber bands with some pepper, with four chips on the side.

Top beer garden to have a drink in to watch sport on the big screen, but Maccas and Domino's are better bets for food, both under a 1 min walk away.

Woolworths, killing the hotel industry.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Pag wrote:Woolworths, killing the hotel industry.

Never a truer word spoken.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5521 times
Been liked: 5156 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Booney wrote:Heading up to the mother-out-laws on Saturday night at Ingle Farm, stopped at Grand North to use the voucher from the entertainment book.

The beef schnitzel eater ate his, the chicken schnitzel eater ate hers. The salt and pepper chicken eater didn't finish, neither did the salt and pepper squid eater.

I went "Peppered Rump". Just about the shittiest piece of meat I've been served. Full of gristle, way over cooked and dry ( I like mine medium ), I think the mash was from a packet.... :shock:

The "salad/veggie" bar had peas, carrots and beans all in separate trays in the bain marie, all about an inch deep in water. The roast spuds were not peeled, still had small eyes on them and were covered in diced packet bacon and loads of cheese! WTF?

The salad consisted of a barely there greek salad, a horrible looking crab stick/seafood salad with celery and a dressing, tinned baby beetroot and corn. The bread rolls got delivered on Friday and might have had a zap to warm / harden them.

Saw a waitress drop one of the little plastic holders that the wine list sits in ( you know the ones, the little laminated cards sit in them ) and all she did was kick it towards the wall out of the way. I watched her walk past it 4 times and she looked at it on 3 occasions.

So, you can imagine this reviewer won't be suggesting this place to anyone, nor rushing back in a hurry.

Clearly the meals are there to keep the pokie players happy as when I went for a flutter there were 2 off $1 machines empty in a room of 40.

That's a shame, I have found this one to be OK over the years but I have only ordered schnitzel there admittedly. The appeal of this place for me is when we are broke we go there on schnitzel night and get our 2 meals for $12 with the voucher. The salad and veg bar is normally average but they do have the seafood extender salad which I actually am a big fan off. Normally this place is about a 7/10 for me but that's heavily based on the price and the fact it's generally hard to f$ck up a schnitzel. I tend to save my steak meals for slightly nicer venues. I agree the service there is average.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:43 pm

Spargo wrote:
Pag wrote:Woolworths, killing the hotel industry.

Never a truer word spoken.

Killing every **** industry along with Coles
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:50 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote:Heading up to the mother-out-laws on Saturday night at Ingle Farm, stopped at Grand North to use the voucher from the entertainment book.

That's a shame, I have found this one to be OK over the years but I have only ordered schnitzel there admittedly. The appeal of this place for me is when we are broke we go there on schnitzel night and get our 2 meals for $12 with the voucher. The salad and veg bar is normally average but they do have the seafood extender salad which I actually am a big fan off. Normally this place is about a 7/10 for me but that's heavily based on the price and the fact it's generally hard to f$ck up a schnitzel. I tend to save my steak meals for slightly nicer venues. I agree the service there is average.

Seafood extender is bleached tripe
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion