Fisho's Frolics

Anything!

Re: Fisho's Frolics

Postby fisho mcspaz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:55 pm

FISHO’S EASTER FROLICS

*Sorry for the long absence. I’ve been behind on my thesis and consequently have had very little spare time.

The McSpaz family usually makes an effort to take a holiday over Easter, and this year we were heading down to Naracoorte in the South-East. I’d chosen Naracoorte partly because of its caves and tiny train park (trains must always be taken into consideration with a kid like Angus, or we risk our entire trip being bombarded with questions like ‘Does this town have a train? Why hasn’t it got a train? Where can I find a train, then? Do you like trains, Mum?’ I might have been able to think of trains without hostility once, but that has receded into the distant past), and partly because I’d forgotten to book anywhere for Easter until a month ago, and this was literally the only place in SA that had any vacancies, unless I wanted to book a six-bedroom holiday house for a week and $3500 on Hindmarsh Island.

I had a rather inauspicious beginning to the holiday by developing the first migraine I’d had in a month. I couldn’t imagine why it had happened after so long. We’d just left the house and at that point I had two choices: to harden the f*** up, or to go back home and get the box of medicine my doctor had given me to try instead of my usual painkillers. However, there was a good chance that I was allergic to the medicine, as I’m allergic to most of the other similar medicines, and the last thing I wanted to do was ruin everyone’s holiday by coming out in hives or going into anaphylactic shock. So we kept going – stopping in Mt Barker so I could have a spew – and by the time we’d reached Keith I’d taken enough anti-nausea pills to feel well enough to compose a song titled ‘Jenkins the Sheep’, which I serenaded people with as we drove past the Keith BP. There wasn’t much else to inspire a song. The world between Murray Bridge and Bordertown is mostly brown or grey, dotted sparsely with scrub and really depressed-looking sheep. I couldn’t imagine living there. I tried to understand why anyone would want to live there. I thought that maybe when the sun went down it turned the paddocks to gold. Or maybe you just have to be born to it.

Anyway, the only other event of note was the old woman walking the most enormous goat I’d ever seen, down the main drag in Yumali (four houses, disused garage, shop window advertising quilting expo). It was bigger than she was and had a pair of extremely imposing horns, but it followed her docilely enough.

The scenery became greener around Padthaway, which was an interesting-looking place with its stone buildings and vine-hung trellises everywhere. I was feeling quite good by now, having taken a s***load of anti-nausea pills – they were of the sort that was once used to treat psychosis, so they probably relaxed me a bit. The rest of the trip was interspersed with vineyards and alpaca farms. I like alpacas and I would really like to have one so I could ride it around the neighbourhood, but after seeing what they look like when they’re shorn I have my doubts that I could find one to carry me. They have the skinniest longest necks, like an ostrich-sheep if such a thing existed.

We got to Naracoorte and our room wasn’t ready, so we had to find some entertainment. Mr McSpaz, despite never having been there before, managed to navigate us straight to the train park, which delighted Angus. Angus, Luke and I all rode the train while MM took photos. We got to go for four laps around the park instead of two because the owner/train driver was quite amused by Angus and thought he’d like a longer ride. There were four or five geese in the park that stretched their necks and hissed at us every time we went past. On the last lap the biggest one turned around and sprayed a giant green crap that fortunately missed us.

The park had mini-golf too, so we played a round of that. For some reason the course only had seventeen holes, one of which was obscured almost completely by a huge pine tree. We had to climb in between the branches to have our shot. I came close to cracking the s***s after I missed the hole and Angus said, ‘You missed it, Mum! But it was a good try.’ I would like to say that I am not competitive about family mini-golf games and that I can laugh off such encouraging remarks, but the truth is that I growled ‘I can do without the commentary, thanks!’ and stomped off to put the ball in the hole. In the end I drew with Mr McSpaz for the win. Final scores: Fisho 57, Mr McSpaz 57, Angus 87. (Angus liked to take full-blooded swings. He didn’t really believe in putting.)

We got back to our room and the first thing we did was to put up the tent. I’d discovered after I made the booking that the words ‘spa suite’ were somewhat misleading, in that the ‘suite’ was actually one big room. So we bought Angus a tent and pitched it in the corner of the room for him to sleep in. He actually slept really well in it – allowing MM and me to stay up late instead of having to put the lights out at 8:30 – and I think we’ll have to take him camping in it soon. Luke had a portacot, which we put in the bathroom until he went to sleep, then moved out into the main room so we could jump in the spa. All in all we survived, but I think next time I’ll make sure our holiday destination has at least one bedroom, and I would recommend the same for anyone who has young kids. You can get around things with one room, but it takes a bit of effort. Also, shifting a portacot is no mean feat when you’re three sheets to the wind.

The South-East is wine country. There was no way we were going to pass up the chance to taste the vintages of the Coonawarra in its own backyard. As soon as we’d unpacked I headed out to the bottle-o and came back with a bottle of my favourite Wynn’s Cabernet Shiraz Merlot, as well as a bottle of bubbly for later on in the spa. We went to dinner in the Highlander Restaurant, which was attached to our motel so we didn’t have to drive; thus we ordered another bottle of red with dinner. By the time it came to put the kids to bed we were feeling quite jolly, and read Angus his bedtime stories with more than usual gusto and a few interesting interpretations of the characters’ voices. (It was an Enid Blyton book, if that gives you any idea.)

Then came time to open the bottle of bubbly. I took one mouthful and nearly spat it out again. It tasted like Aspro and sugar mixed with metho. It was a bloody dessert wine. I like my white wine dry, crisp and full-bodied, and I can’t go near sweet wines since my high-school days of drinking four-litre Fruity Lexia goon casks. However, Mr McSpaz said ‘It’s not completely undrinkable.’ This was a lie, but sadly, one that I was willing to believe at the time. I think I probably deserved my headache the following day.

Before we could stagger off to bed at last, we had one important job to do. It was Easter Saturday and we had a basketful of eggs to hide for the boys. Because of our wine-clouded state, most of them ended up in blatantly obvious places, and I had the brilliant idea of putting one next to the night lamp, where it promptly melted. But the look on Angus and Luke’s faces the next morning made up for any faults in the difficulty level of the egg hunt. :-)

More to come later on.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby redandblack » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:38 pm

Very enjoyable read, fisho :D
redandblack

Postby fisho mcspaz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:48 pm

DAY TWO

Breakfast with a hangover can be an ordeal. Breakfast at Naracoorte Subway was something else entirely. After the boys had their egg hunt, we thought that we should probably have something besides chocolate to eat as we were gearing up for a full-on day at the Naracoorte Caves and the Umpherston Sinkhole in Mt Gambier.

Now, when I worked at Subway, we used to poach the eggs whole in the microwave. We had little round rolls that we would put the egg on, with some bacon and cheese and, if you wanted to go all cosmopolitan, two strips of capsicum to create the 'Western Egg'. However, what I was faced with when we walked through the doors that Sunday morning did not resemble an egg-and-cheese roll in the slightest.

'I'll have an egg and cheese roll,' I said. The sandwich artist opened a container and lifted out - I s*** you not - a stack of yellow rubber pancakes. I couldn't understand why she had done this. I didn't ask for a bloody Handy Andy Floor Wipes roll. Then she put it on the bread and I realised with horror that it must be the egg or the cheese. As she then put a couple of cheese triangles on top, I worked out by method of deduction that it was the egg. Mr McSpaz was frozen in equal horror beside me. However, since I'd already ordered it and nowhere else in town was open (which was the only reason we'd even considered Subway in the first place), I paid for my travesty of a breakfast without complaint. The complaint(s) came five minutes later while we were sitting in the park across the road, trying to digest our revolting meals. Luke always likes to have some of our breakfast, but Mr McSpaz refused to give him the egg and had to tear some bread off the bottom so he would not be contaminated like the rest of us.

Shall write about the caves etc. later - Luke's just woken up and I cannot feed and type at the same time. :)
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:15 pm

Welcome back, Fisho :)
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Cheers. :) I fully intend to continue the Easter adventure, but it will have to wait until tomorrow as I am three sheets to the wind currently (celebrating the fact that my friend cleaned my house instead of me). :D

Anyway, I came on here to post a link to my new blog. I'm not giving this one up - no way! But my thesis involves a lot of reading and responding to Australian literature, so I thought I'd set up a place where I can post my dissertations/reviews/whatever of Australian fiction, in case anyone finds it interesting. A lot of my critical writing concentrates on analysing the main characters as heroes, antiheroes or unlikely heroes; this is because the main question of my thesis involves discussion of the Australian antihero and why Australians prefer to read about them as opposed to archetypal heroes. Here's the link - there's nothing there at the moment, but within the week I'll have at least 20-25 essays posted up there. All writing will be of the highest academic quality that I am currently capable of.

http://fishomcspaz.blogspot.com/
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:51 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:Cheers. :) I fully intend to continue the Easter adventure, but it will have to wait until tomorrow as I am three sheets to the wind currently (celebrating the fact that my friend cleaned my house instead of me). :D

Anyway, I came on here to post a link to my new blog. I'm not giving this one up - no way! But my thesis involves a lot of reading and responding to Australian literature, so I thought I'd set up a place where I can post my dissertations/reviews/whatever of Australian fiction, in case anyone finds it interesting. A lot of my critical writing concentrates on analysing the main characters as heroes, antiheroes or unlikely heroes; this is because the main question of my thesis involves discussion of the Australian antihero and why Australians prefer to read about them as opposed to archetypal heroes. Here's the link - there's nothing there at the moment, but within the week I'll have at least 20-25 essays posted up there. All writing will be of the highest academic quality that I am currently capable of.

http://fishomcspaz.blogspot.com/

Managed to whack a few of them up already so head over if you'd like to read. I admit that despite what I said before about the writing being of high academic quality, I haven't edited any of it or had it edited as I never intended any of it for publication - it's mainly for personal reference - so it's probably quite raw and gauche in a lot of places. :oops:
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby RustyCage » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:43 pm

I see you don't have to use the Harvard 'author-date' style of referencing. That was a nightmare to use when I was in uni, made doing assignments so much more complicated than it needed to be.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:16 pm

pafc1870 wrote:I see you don't have to use the Harvard 'author-date' style of referencing. That was a nightmare to use when I was in uni, made doing assignments so much more complicated than it needed to be.

I don't even know how to use Harvard. Since I first started at uni, there would always be at least one mature-age student in the tutes who would ask straight away, 'Do we employ the Haaaaaar-Vaaaaaard referencing system?' We were always told to use footnotes. :)
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:12 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:
pafc1870 wrote:I see you don't have to use the Harvard 'author-date' style of referencing. That was a nightmare to use when I was in uni, made doing assignments so much more complicated than it needed to be.

I don't even know how to use Harvard. Since I first started at uni, there would always be at least one mature-age student in the tutes who would ask straight away, 'Do we employ the Haaaaaar-Vaaaaaard referencing system?' We were always told to use footnotes. :)

Harvard is a pain in the rear, Some courses use them others don't.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby mick » Thu May 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Always use Harvard myself. It is possible to use referencing software like End-note to build reference databases that can create the document in the reference format required. Endnote can also access bibliographic databases like Medline, it really makes life easy. When I did my thesis 1977-1981 all my references were on individual cards, thesis was typed on an IBM golfball typewriter at $1.00 per page, so one was very careful not to make typos :D
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:30 am

fisho mcspaz wrote:

At Year 12 there is definitely an advantage in using footnotes rather than in-text referencing. All in-text referencing is included in the word count whilst source footnotes are not included. Thus, by using footnotes, a student could end up being able to include up to fifty or so extra words in a 2,000 word assignment. As an example, an in-text source reference like (Fisho, p207) would be included in the word count whilst if it was a footnote, it would not be.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby callop » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:19 pm

There are plenty of yabbies left for everyone including BC !!! A recent photo doing the rounds of an unknown location in the Murray!
Attachments
IMG_2069.jpg
IMG_2069.jpg (58.11 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
callop

Been liked: 7 times

Postby CENTURION » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:25 am

looks like Loch Luna! I'm off with trusty opera nets in tow!!
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby fisho mcspaz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Bloody hell. SORRY AGAIN for the long hiatus. I've been under pressure from the university side of things. Need to write this, need to publish that. I think I may have finally caught up, however, so I can breathe again. :) I never did finish off our Easter adventure but I will do my best to have the next instalment* up soon.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this up here. Thanks Dogwatcher for the lovely article, I'm thrilled. http://www.countryfooty.com.au/FootballPeople.htm

And yeah - if anyone has any stories, anecdotes or even a good sledge up their sleeve, do send them to me, I'm always looking for inspiration.

Cheers
Fisho

*It IS 'instalment', right? My bloody spellchecker keeps highlighting it and I think it wants me to spell it with two Ls but I'm quite sure that's the American spelling. If anyone could confirm this I'd be grateful. Also, how do you turn spellcheck off on the Web browser? I never use it.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby GWW » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:45 pm

One L sounded correct to me, and as I thought, the double L is the American spelling:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/instalment
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:08 pm

callop wrote:There are plenty of yabbies left for everyone including BC !!! A recent photo doing the rounds of an unknown location in the Murray!

callop, you sure that's from the Murray? As I've seen that pic elsewhere saying it's from The Cooper, the photo was posted by a mate of mine whose nephew manages the station it's on. Whatever the case, yummmmyyyyyy!
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby callop » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:17 pm

I think you're right DW. Definitely the Cooper according to my latest mail.
callop

Been liked: 7 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:44 pm

I just remembered the dream I had last night so I thought I'd post it up here. I drank a bottle of vodka, went to the Macca's where I used to work, demanded to see the store manager, informed her that nobody liked her, she was OCD, that NO ONE should have to clean a stainless-steel door 18 times in a row, and that she was the vilest human I'd ever seen. I told her to plug the empty vodka bottle up her bum and then staggered out and vomited in the potted plant.

I wish that really happened. :(
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby CENTURION » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Why? What a waste of Vodka!
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby RustyCage » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:02 am

Should have vomited in the store so she would have to clean it up
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times