What The F***

Anything!

Re: What The F***

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Bought a new car, went to transfer rego into my name and my name had a red flag.

That's a bit of a concern. Any idea why?

Unpaid speeding fine from Oct 2014 in work car.
Signed stat dec to transfer fine into my name. I thought the fine had been sent to us and missus had paid it.
Turns out we never received the fine. Nor the letter to tell me my licence had been suspended.

That's the problem with reliance on mail as a primary means of communication. It doesn't take much for it to get lost in transit, or pinched, or for something to happen.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 756 times
Been liked: 1516 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:30 pm

am Bays wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Just found out this morning that I've been driving around the past 18 months without a valid licence.
My licence was suspended for not paying a fine that I never received. Until this morning, I hadn't received any notification of my licence suspension.
Frankly, it scares me that for 18 months, I've been driving around without the protection of my licence.

How would that statement wash if you were a "poli" and you were doing your usual job..... ;)

I mean would it pass the front bar test at The Exchange??

Ha, just saw the bit about the front bar test.
I think my story would - it certainly has in the office so far and my manager is a stickler for doing the right thing.
Remember, I'm driving a company car and if she'd known I had no licence, she would have banned me from doing so.
I'm a responsible person and driving around without a licence scares the hell out of me.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:40 pm

I had a similar thing with a registration.

When I moved out of home I tried to transfer the rego from my car from my mums name to mine. Not sure if anyone has done that but it wasn't straightforward.

What I inadvertently did was de-register the car. So when the rego ran out neither me or mum got a renewal letter

So I got pulled over with the car 3 weeks out of rego and had to go to court.

Judge was very good though, said he tried to do it once too and it was confusing, no conviction or fine.

Still had to pay victims of crime levy though. Even though there was no victim
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:53 pm

I, honestly, feel quite sick about the whole thing.
Unlike your average boofhead who drives around unregistered and unlicenced because he 'can't afford it' or just CBFd, I actually had a lot to lose if the worst had happened and I'd had an accident or been pulled over by police.
Imagine I'd had an accident and my kids or wife were injured? Horrifying.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:03 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I, honestly, feel quite sick about the whole thing.
Unlike your average boofhead who drives around unregistered and unlicenced because he 'can't afford it' or just CBFd, I actually had a lot to lose if the worst had happened and I'd had an accident or been pulled over by police.

Pure incompetence by the government department. They would throw the book at you if you were stopped by law enforcement if you didn't find their mistake first.
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:36 pm

Magellan wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Bought a new car, went to transfer rego into my name and my name had a red flag.

That's a bit of a concern. Any idea why?

Unpaid speeding fine from Oct 2014 in work car.
Signed stat dec to transfer fine into my name. I thought the fine had been sent to us and missus had paid it.
Turns out we never received the fine. Nor the letter to tell me my licence had been suspended.

That's the problem with reliance on mail as a primary means of communication. It doesn't take much for it to get lost in transit, or pinched, or for something to happen.

It's got me buggered why such correspondence isn't sent REGISTERED mail.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5711 times
Been liked: 5276 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I, honestly, feel quite sick about the whole thing.

Purchased a VB Commodore off the brother in laws Grandfather who was giving up driving. $500, broken into three times, meh, hardly drove it anyway. Rego was changed over, all good.

Sold it to an old work mate back when it was just the buyer who lodged rego transfer paper work. He sold it to some dero. It sits in Percy Ct ( off Gilbert St ) for several weeks and accumulates parking tickets. Adelaide City Council tow it. Eventually they destroy it.

I find this out as when I go to renew my licence after 5 year and get told my licence was canceled nearly 2 years ago as a result of the pile of fines associated with the car! FFS...WHAT?!?!?!

Stat dec in front of a magistrate in the Port Adelaide Court House and they've either caught up with my ex-work mate or the aforementioned dero.

When I found out what had happened they had sent my licence cancellation to my old address despite me having all my details changed and updated. I sold the car, moved house and updated all my details and the fines started in the time after that. Terrible. I felt the same, sick to the guts that I'd been out there, unbeknownst to me, unlicensed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7634 times
Been liked: 11101 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Just found out this morning that I've been driving around the past 18 months without a valid licence.
My licence was suspended for not paying a fine that I never received. Until this morning, I hadn't received any notification of my licence suspension.
Frankly, it scares me that for 18 months, I've been driving around without the protection of my licence.

How would that statement wash if you were a "poli" and you were doing your usual job..... ;)

I mean would it pass the front bar test at The Exchange??

Ha, just saw the bit about the front bar test.
I think my story would - it certainly has in the office so far and my manager is a stickler for doing the right thing.
Remember, I'm driving a company car and if she'd known I had no licence, she would have banned me from doing so.
I'm a responsible person and driving around without a licence scares the hell out of me.

I take it you're still unlicensed DW, and if that's the case, for how much longer?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby tipper » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:46 pm

Spargo wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Unpaid speeding fine from Oct 2014 in work car.

It's got me buggered why such correspondence isn't sent REGISTERED mail.

simple. registered mail costs more and the law doesnt require it.

hope you get it sorted DW and that the "late fees" can be waived (or at the very least, significantly reduced) im sure the have added up over time.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:00 pm

tipper wrote:simple. registered mail costs more and the law doesnt require it.

Very true. Although, you'd think that if the law requires service of notices for the construction of a fence to be by registered post, then perhaps the same should apply given failure to receive a fine could have significant consequences down the track as DW has suggested.
Magellan
Coach

Postby tipper » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Magellan wrote:
tipper wrote:simple. registered mail costs more and the law doesnt require it.

Very true. Although, you'd think that if the law requires service of notices for the construction of a fence to be by registered post, then perhaps the same should apply given failure to receive a fine could have significant consequences down the track as DW has suggested.

not disagreeing with you, but i dont think that the fines enforcement unit are in any hurry to change things. they make more money on the late fees than they do on the fine itself, so why would they be interested in letting you know in a timely manner?
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Jase » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:59 pm

We traded in a Magna Station Wagon (tank) when we bought a new car...

A year later I got a phone call from the police saying that someone had complained about my driving as I was trying to do burnouts etc in the Magna...

I told them that I had traded in that car a year ago.

I had to sign a Stat Dec that I had traded in the car... The Holden dealership copped a massive spary after It was all sorted out.

They hadn't tranferred over the rego and then on sold the car...

It was very messy...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1528 times
Been liked: 573 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:16 am

Magellan wrote: I take it you're still unlicensed DW, and if that's the case, for how much longer?

My suspension has been lifted while they investigate my application to have the additional fees waived.
All they're talking about is waiving my additional fees (which takes fine up to about $650), but not my original fine (around $200 inc VoC).
At no point have they suggested I won't have to pay the fine.
I guess, the question is why should I pay any of the fine? I never received it and it clearly hasn't been sent in a timely manner.
I'll make that decision when I come to it.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Magellan wrote: I take it you're still unlicensed DW, and if that's the case, for how much longer?

My suspension has been lifted while they investigate my application to have the additional fees waived.
All they're talking about is waiving my additional fees (which takes fine up to about $650), but not my original fine (around $200 inc VoC).
I guess, the question is why should I pay any of the fine? I never received it and it clearly hasn't been sent in a timely manner.

You should contact someone in the media about this! ;)
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:31 pm

light-bulb moment. ;)
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:55 am

Dogwatcher wrote:

Good point. Your stat dec only was a statement that you were the driver at the time, nothing more. If you had received the notice, you could've paid it, or elected to go to court and plead your case. You never got that opportunity.

When do you expect to hear the outcome of your application? If you're still suspended should that application be refused then I reckon that's rough, given your suspension is based on the failure to pay a fine (and reminders) that you never got.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:37 am

I have to ring them tomorrow.
It was made very clear to me that I have to ring them to find out the result, which is rather bizarre.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:16 am

License completely restored, all points returned - no fine to pay (not even the original).
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:21 am

Dogwatcher wrote:License completely restored, all points returned - no fine to pay (not even the original).

#winning [emoji38]
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby tipper » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:24 am

Dogwatcher wrote:License completely restored, all points returned - no fine to pay (not even the original).

good news. i honestly didnt think they would waive the original at all. obviously i was wrong (again..... you would think i would be used to being wrong by now...)
tipper
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion